Packers GM Brian Gutekunst

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. I feel that somebody should point out that, no matter how self-entitled he might be, Rodgers is the main reason this team is as good as it is. Gute's drafts have been fairly decent and his FA signings pretty good actually, but GM's also are in charge of managing the current team and annoying your strongest employee is not generally a good management technique.
In most cases, when employees are annoyed by their boss, they quit. #12 said he wasn't going to play for the Packers EVER AGAIN! Yet here he is. He doesn't know what he wants. Trust me, he and the rest of you Rodgers lovers will have a good excuse if and when their season goes in the crapper.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Brian Gutekunst has been a very good GM in my opinion. I think he's done pretty well with personnel in the time he's been in charge. He cleaned up a hell of a mess made by Thompson (rest his soul) in the latter years of his tenure.

I still think he has mismanaged the Rodgers situation and I think he got pretty trigger happy on Love. And really, the 2020 draft I thought was awful, but he thought he was about to get off of Rodgers, not realizing he had a hell of a lot left in the tank.

But all and all, I'm good with Gute. No reasonable person would suggest he deserves to be fired.

Which makes sense, given it was rodell who suggested it.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not in favor of firing Gutey...but at this point ,I'm extremely disappointed in his inability in improving this years talent on defense...namely the Defensive line. Keke, Lancaster, and Lowry are a complete joke. How can he sit in his box and watch what's going on...these guys are getting shoved back at the line of scrimmage 4 yards back before the runner gets to to to line of scrimmage. This team will never win a Super Bowl with those guys up front!!! Why can't he give up a few future draft pics to help this team out...we need help there desperately!!! With the likelihood of this being Rodgers last year...we will recoup and gain draft capital if we trade him. There is no hoping these guys develop as they get more exp. but their will be none with these guys...they are who they are. I always felt that one of Teddys biggest weaknesses was never succ. in getting help where we needed it most by making a trade, and I think Gutey feels the same way about his future draft picks also. I know some will say we have to find a trade partner first...but you can't tell me that amongst 31 other teams that they would be willing to trade a guy for a third or whatever. For once man ..don't be too stingy and get some help for this defense ....you have done some good things in the past...this team needs help now!!!!!

I highly doubt there are any teams out there interested in trading a bona fide starter on the defensive line for a third or late round draft pick.

I agree Gutekunst should have improved the talent level on the defensive line but with limited cap space available this offseason that's easier said than done.

I don't pretend to be a salary cap expert. But it sure feels like to me that we are up against it.

The Packers currently have $7.6 million of cap space which ranks 13th in the league. They could have made a move to improve this year's team.

But, at this point they have already allocated a total of $247.4 million towards the cap in 2022, which means they will have to make several moves to get under it next year.

D

Deleted member 6794

In most cases, when employees are annoyed by their boss, they quit. #12 said he wasn't going to play for the Packers EVER AGAIN! Yet here he is. He doesn't know what he wants. Trust me, he and the rest of you Rodgers lovers will have a good excuse if and when their season goes in the crapper.

I would like to see a video in which Rodgers, not anyone from the media, said that he will never play for the Packers again. I'm waiting.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something tells me that by the end of this season we will all be wishing that he had said that. The dude isn't hard to read. Every press conference is like a funeral. Why do them if you hate all the press? Because he's an attention *****. Gets his own show so that he can do the same thing that they do. Calls people chicken bleep and ***holes. Look in the mirror Mr. Wonderful.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers currently have $7.6 million of cap space which ranks 13th in the league. They could have made a move to improve this year's team.

But, at this point they have already allocated a total of $247.4 million towards the cap in 2022, which means they will have to make several moves to get under it next year.
I think you have to look at it as a whole. For instance, The money that you don't use this year. Is that money useable against the cap next year? I think it's important to try and get the whole thing under control. That said, as the season goes on and we will probably need a D lineman, and we are in realistic contention; maybe you spend it and draft capital on one.

D

Deleted member 6794

You'll be waiting for a long time.

I know ;)

I think you have to look at it as a whole. For instance, The money that you don't use this year. Is that money useable against the cap next year? I think it's important to try and get the whole thing under control. That said, as the season goes on and we will probably need a D lineman, and we are in realistic contention; maybe you spend it and draft capital on one.

The Packers can roll over unused cap space from this season into 2022 but that definitely won't be enough to get under the cap for next year.

never happened.

I'm well aware that Rodgers never said anything like it in public. Unfortunately a lot of fans rather trust the click-bait media than care about what actually happens.

D

Deleted member 6794

Failed with the OL?

The very good GB OL that was still playing well despite losing the best LT in the league?

Sure bud.

I agree that it's wrong to suggest Gutekunst failed with the offensive line but unfortunately the unit struggled mightily without Bakhtiari in the NFCCG vs. the Bucs.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see a video in which Rodgers, not anyone from the media, said that he will never play for the Packers again. I'm waiting.
Can you find a video of Rodgers refuting the widly reported claim?

Can you find quotes from people who said Rodgers told them that?

D

Deleted member 6794

Can you find a video of Rodgers refuting the widly reported claim?

Can you find quotes from people who said Rodgers told them that?

I have actually got something better.

Rodgers showed up for training camp and has played in the first two games, refuting any claim by the click-bait media that he will never play for the Packers again.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have actually got something better.

Rodgers showed up for training camp and has played in the first two games, refuting any claim by the click-bait media that he will never play for the Packers again.
You are confused.

The claim is that he said that he would never play for the Packers again, not that he would never play for them.

And not having video evidence is not proof that he didn't say it.

D

Deleted member 6794

You are confused.

The claim is that he said that he would never play for the Packers again, not that he would never play for them.

And not having video evidence is not proof that he didn't say it.

That's the issue with the click-bait media and fans trusting them without questioning any of the information provided.

There's absolutely no evidence Rodgers ever said that he would never play for the Packers again yet he should be the one coming up with proof to refute the claim.

In addition him showing up to play for the Packers isn't good enough either because some insider reported, quoting some anonymous sources, that he won't some months ago.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Watch this line vs. the 49ers. No excuses bud.
If you're making a determination about the offensive line when arguably the best left tackle AND the best left guard (and our 2nd best LT option) in the NFL won't be available vs arguably the best defensive front in the NFL, then you aren't being even halfway reasonable.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're making a determination about the offensive line when arguably the best left tackle AND the best left guard (and our 2nd best LT option) in the NFL won't be available vs arguably the best defensive front in the NFL, then you aren't being even halfway reasonable.
Next man up. No excuses. Gute left the cupboard bare.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts