Packers GM Brian Gutekunst

D

Deleted member 6794

In general, yeah, Rodgers had plenty of time, he just held onto the ball too much. Playing well doesn’t mean you’re going to be a stone wall the whole game. The other guys are paid professionals too. They win matchups sometimes! But overall, yeah, played well.

I’m not going to argue sample size or anything else. With what we’ve seen, they’ve done well, especially in comparison to the rest of the league. If you want to argue the minutiae, find somebody else to do it with.

The offensive line didn't protect Rodgers in the pocket vs. the Saints, he needed to roll out to buy time. In addition they were atrocious opening up holes in the running game as well. So overall, no, they didn't play well.

With that being said they have done well in four of six games Bakhtiari has missed since tearing his ACL last season. They were a significant reason the Packers lost the other two games though.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we close this thread now? While I have not been a fan of the Love pick as well as the way he has handled Rodgers, this man undoubtedly has a knack for both the draft and FA.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GM of the year contender

Drafted Stokes. Added Campbell. Found Douglas.

I'd say that's three pretty good defensive acquisitions this year. And Joe Barry has made it all work.

The "Fire Gutekunst" and "Fire Barry" threads look sillier by the day.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gutenkunst is probably the best of all the idiot GMs in the league which is what is so infuriating. I will crown him if he can successfully navigate his was through this awful cap mess hes made. IMO if Love does not become one of the top 10 QBs in the league its a fireable offense. He already had a star QB he was just too blind or stupid to see the offense he built around Rodgers lacked weapons and was in a brand new offense. There would be a struggle. It never occurred to Gutenkunst that maybe the 3 WRs he drafted in his first class werent good or that he had massively overpaid Jimmy Graham. Dont even get me started on that awful Billy Turner deal. The most criminal of all is the King resigning...

His first draft class was atrocious. He got Alexander and blundered the rest. MVS and ESB are ok for where they were taken but neither has developed into a reliable #2 or 3 and neither are very good teams players. His 2nd class was pretty good but I felt he missed on a lot of value, namely DK who I correctly predicted was a top 16 talent. But that 3rd class is where things get to be inexcusable. The Love pick was horrible. This draft just made Gutenkunst look to me like he has no plan. You trade up for Love... despite having a top tier QB... Then you take a RB high which is fine... but then you resign Jone to a sizeable deal despite the dire cap crunch looming. The $10M going to Jones I would rather use to keep Adams and restructure Rodgers. Instead we are damn near guaranteed to lose and probably both. And this last class I really didnt mind too much but how do you miss on Creed umprey who was clearly the best C in the class. And I do really like Myers, thought it was a good pick, but hes nowhere near the athlete or technician Humphrey was in college.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I typed a paragraph of rebuttal last night, and then decided that I didn't feel like rebutting every crazy thing in that post. I then deleted it all and just said that I disagree with pretty much everything.

My best friend hated Al Harris because of the plays he gave up when he first came to the Packers. He couldn't let it go even as Harris improved. When Harris got the pick-six to end the playoff game against the Seahawks, he dismissed it as lucky. Even this year when Al Harris was inducted into the Packers HOF, he scoffed and said that the Packers were fools.

Some people just make up their minds about something and aren't worth wasting the time to change their opinion, because they are 100% against ever reconsidering their stance.

D

Deleted member 6794

Gutenkunst is probably the best of all the idiot GMs in the league which is what is so infuriating. I will crown him if he can successfully navigate his was through this awful cap mess hes made. IMO if Love does not become one of the top 10 QBs in the league its a fireable offense. He already had a star QB he was just too blind or stupid to see the offense he built around Rodgers lacked weapons and was in a brand new offense. There would be a struggle. It never occurred to Gutenkunst that maybe the 3 WRs he drafted in his first class werent good or that he had massively overpaid Jimmy Graham. Dont even get me started on that awful Billy Turner deal. The most criminal of all is the King resigning...

His first draft class was atrocious. He got Alexander and blundered the rest. MVS and ESB are ok for where they were taken but neither has developed into a reliable #2 or 3 and neither are very good teams players. His 2nd class was pretty good but I felt he missed on a lot of value, namely DK who I correctly predicted was a top 16 talent. But that 3rd class is where things get to be inexcusable. The Love pick was horrible. This draft just made Gutenkunst look to me like he has no plan. You trade up for Love... despite having a top tier QB... Then you take a RB high which is fine... but then you resign Jone to a sizeable deal despite the dire cap crunch looming. The $10M going to Jones I would rather use to keep Adams and restructure Rodgers. Instead we are damn near guaranteed to lose and probably both. And this last class I really didnt mind too much but how do you miss on Creed umprey who was clearly the best C in the class. And I do really like Myers, thought it was a good pick, but hes nowhere near the athlete or technician Humphrey was in college.

First of all let me be clear about that I didn't like the Packers trading up to select Love in the 2020 draft at all as well. It's entirely possible Gutekunst will ultimately be evaluated on how that move works out down the road.

But other than that it's completely off base to suggest that overall he hasn't done a great job as the Packers general manager.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Says the guy that throws insults instead of bringing anything useful to a debate.
Everything that Gute has accomplished for this organization doesn't need researched and produced, it is quite clear and evident - look up records, look up success of the HC hire, look up his signees, his draft classes...one has to choose to be an ostrich with its head in the sand to say he hasn't excelled at his role.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gutenkunst is probably the best

I disagree with just about everything you posted here, except for the first word where you said "Gutenkunst."
El, you sold him short. I agreed with the first 5 words.

KiD: you seem to believe the Packer's GM should focus on making Rodgers happy. Most believe he should be trying to win the Superbowl. Clearly Gute's moves have put us into a much better situation to win the SB than just focusing on weapons for Rodgers.

I don't think there is a better GM in football right now. Given what Gute has done in the last 3 years is quite remarkable. Forced to chose, I would rather depart with Rodgers than Gute.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
El, you sold him short. I agreed with the first 5 words.

KiD: you seem to believe the Packer's GM should focus on making Rodgers happy. Most believe he should be trying to win the Superbowl. Clearly Gute's moves have put us into a much better situation to win the SB than just focusing on weapons for Rodgers.

I don't think there is a better GM in football right now. Given what Gute has done in the last 3 years is quite remarkable. Forced to chose, I would rather depart with Rodgers than Gute.
Even me, who's as big a Rodgers fan as you'll find, acknowledges that Gutekunst has done an outstanding job as the team's GM.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even me, who's as big a Rodgers fan as you'll find, acknowledges that Gutekunst has done an outstanding job as the team's GM.
I'm not sure why that dichotomy has to exist. Rodgers is a great QB and that has no effect on whether Gute being a good GM or not. I think Gute is on track to be the best GM the franchise has ever had. Folks get in trouble when they focus on one player and make him more important than the team.

D

Deleted member 6794

Best of luck Captain...you're talking to a guy that runs to third from home plate...

I'm well aware that I won't be able to change his mind but I still had to reply to his post.

As mentioned above I agree that overall Gutekunst has done an excellent job as the Packers general manager so far. There's no denying that trading up to select Love in the first round of last year's draft at best didn't do anything to improve the team's chances of winning the Super Bowl though.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no denying that trading up to select Love in the first round of last year's draft at best didn't do anything to improve the team's chances of winning the Super Bowl though.
Disagree. There is no denying that Rodgers play had slipped the previous 4 years and was no longer near his elite level. Drafting his replacement is likely the impetus that made him rededicate to football.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disagree. There is no denying that Rodgers play had slipped the previous 4 years and was no longer near his elite level. Drafting his replacement is likely the impetus that made him rededicate to football.

Had Captain said it did nothing at all for the roster or future I'd agree with you, but he said it did nothing for the chances of winning the Super Bowl though - which I'd say he means the present. Which even those of us that disagreed with the Love pick but are Love fans (myself) know that isn't a lie.

Members online

Latest posts