Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
People should be required to follow the jets for a few seasons.

Wait... I used to see a lot of those jets hats around wi ... I wonder what happened
The prima donna with the Messiah complex who fell in love with the sound of his own name quit again, then came out of retirement again and joined the Queens. Then the Favre sycophants started wearing Viking jerseys.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
People should be required to follow the jets for a few seasons.

Wait... I used to see a lot of those jets hats around wi ... I wonder what happened
I see alot of brand new 9er's, hats, decals and license plate frames here in So Cal. Niners fans are much like Cicada's, They only crawl out of the ground when the team starts winning. I really Really need for us to beat them.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait for the first play in SF game that Kapernick picks up a yard.

Who am I kidding? Wait for the first play in our first preseason game where Jones doesn't sack the QB and is called a bust and Capers should be fired.

Datone Jones hasn't gotten a sack yet. FIRE EVERYONE!!!!

H

HardRightEdge

This may be hard to believe, but I don't think I've posted in this thread since the playoffs. Maybe never.

After due consideration, I've concluded we should not fire Capers. However, his pay should be docked, in a kind of new age entanglement of fate and karma with A.J. Hawk.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see alot of brand new 9er's, hats, decals and license plate frames here in So Cal. Niners fans are much like Cicada's, They only crawl out of the ground when the team starts winning. I really Really need for us to beat them.
Looks like we finally have a decent running game. I see no reason why the Packers shouldn't win as long as our D stops the read action & puts pressure on the QB

12theTruth

Defense drafted first 6 players last season and top pick this year. Lots of young players that may or may not be ready to step up to the plate. I feel this season hinges on 2 players. Can Desmond Bishop return to form and stay healthy and will Nick Perry develop into a force opposite Clay Matthews. History unfortunately is cruel. This Capers led unit has been steamrolled out of playoffs in 3 out of last 4 years. I hope this unit fares better. Time will tell I guess.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bottom line is the tone of the 3-4 Defense has to be set in the Front 7 Players.

Pittsburgh, Baltimore, San Francisco, etc. all play a physical brand of football and they each set the tone within their front 7. They are very difficult to run against. I repeat, they are very difficult to run against which is what is the premise of the defense (to make the offense 1 dimensional). Everyone knows we got our butts whooped last season and couldn't stop the run. People say how much our defense improved over the previous season, but losing leads and not being able to shut down offense's when it counts (i.e Indianapolis, Vikings, Saints (whew)). We got embarrassed regularly even making terrible offenses like Jacksonville look proficient playing at home in Lambeau. Not being able to get off the field on 3rd down.

In essence this year falls totally on Capers. We blew the last 2 seasons. No more excuses about not having the talent. In Green Bay's front 7 they will boast 6 1st Round draft picks. Which is a greater percentage then the 1st Rd Picks on San Francisco's Offensive Line. No more needing Defensive Backs to be the Playmakers on this Unit. All Packer Fans have known over the past few seasons that we have had one of the best defensive backfields in the NFL. However, we also knew that our Defensive success was based Mathews and how our Defensive Backs played. Mainly Woodson & Mathews getting to the QB and disrupting the Offense.

Here's where it stops: DOM CAPERS - " YOU ARE ON NOTICE ". NO MORE EXCUSES!

Give the Offense more chances!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In essence this year falls totally on Capers. We blew the last 2 seasons. No more excuses about not having the talent. In Green Bay's front 7 they will boast 6 1st Round draft picks. Which is a greater percentage then the 1st Rd Picks on San Francisco's Offensive Line. No more needing Defensive Backs to be the Playmakers on this Unit.

IMO the defense has to take another step forward this season or Capers’ job should be in jeopardy but I disagree with the premise that the number of first rounders equals “enough” talent. An easy example is Hawk who certainly has never played up to the expectations of a number 5 pick overall. Pickett is near the end of his career and if Wilson and Jones start at DE, Pickett and Raji may be splitting time at NT and Pickett won’t be part of the 2-man DL, so that wouldn’t really count as “two” first rounders. And what if Perry plays the same number of snaps as last season? I/we have great expectations for Jones but he hasn’t played an NFL snap and beyond that some posters believe the return to health and the starting lineup of Bishop, 2011’s leading Packer tackler, would be important. Perhaps second in importance only to Matthews. Bishop was a 6th rounder. (BTW, Thompson has spent two of the last four first rounders on OTs, why was the play at OT bad last season? One played about one-half the season and the other didn’t play a down.)

While I disagree on the ‘first round reason’ certainly Thompson has added resources on that side of the ball. 10 of the last 17 draft picks have been on D and two more defenders stuck last season as UDFAs. And one or two more UDFAs could stick on D this year.

I expect the offense to help the D more this year with an enhanced running attack and more of a ball control style. If successful, the offense would be giving the defense 'fewer chances'. So I agree Capers is "on notice" to continue the improvement of the D. The only caveat (excuse) would be a slew of injuries and isn’t it about time the Packers’ see a “return to the mean” season in that regard?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching the yards Russell Wilson and Seattle running backs got against the Packers swiss cheese D-fense, I'm getting worried that we will see a repeat against Craperknickers in our opening game against the 49ers.
Based on that, yeah, fire Capers.
We should not have given him one more season to prove or redeem himself.
I think he has had enough chances.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am more interested to see if he has adjusted to the adjustments the league has made to him. If his schemes are easily picked up and teams are not surprised at all then its probably time to pull the trigger. Some of the stuff against Seattle looked fresh and they got pressure. Hyde flying around everywhere seemed to catch them off guard and there was some decent pressure up the middle which was completely lacking last year. That could also have to do with Jolly drawing 2 or 3 guys and freeing up some lanes. Jolly has to play every passing down and Pickett only on run downs.

As far as coverages go ever team seems to know the middle is wide open provided they know who has the middle responsibility. Hawk is easily exploited and I am not sold on Jones' ability to cover either. I really hope DC has Clay/Perry/mabye Hyde (when he is in the nickel) disguised and in coverage over the middle where the rb's/ TE's and rushing qb's dismantle the defense and then Jones and Hawk are allowed to do the rushing of the passer.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Its the damn preseason. At least wait til after the first actual game to yell about firing the guy. You literally will not get anything better from any other DC in preseason.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everybody is concerned and rightly so about San Francisco and Washington to start the season. We can't handle a scrambling QB, read option or otherwise. What concerns me more than anything about last night's game is we got to Wilson 3 or 4 times, so we could contain him, but at times our defense gave up big chunks in the passing game, but more so in the running game. It wasn't just the backups either, it was the 1s as well!

The other MAJOR concern for me is Cincinnati. Yes Dalton doesn't have the read option in Cincinnati but what he does have is AJ Green against our problematic secondary, as well as rookie tight end 6'5 255 Tyler Eifert against our smaller slower and sometimes clueless in coverage, Inside Linebackers. Aaron may have to put up 80 and have the ball last just to win that game! It's not just the read option and mobile QBs.

It's the whole damn scheme, and the guys in the scheme. And YES I realize we were 11th (Respectable) against the pass last year, but we gave up a lot of big plays in the passing game too.

Anyone who has faith in this defense is either a psychic or the biggest idiot ever, and early on we'll see which it is.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its the damn preseason. At least wait til after the first actual game to yell about firing the guy. You literally will not get anything better from any other DC in preseason.
Seems to me that preseason is the perfect opportunity to get things right or to show that things are corrected.
On the offense side, we saw that Vince Young has rightfully so earned the back up QB spot.
So shouldn't the D show that they are ready for running QBs and offensives as well?
Seattle gave us negative (That's negative!) yards on our running backs.
Maybe I am jumping the gun here but so far I don't like seeing how our defense is failing.
The Seahawks game just looked so much like the last real game the Pack was in against the 9ers.
I'm sorry but I saw repeats of facing Craperknickers.
Capers has had all this time to get it right.
Now maybe, just maybe they will have figured out how to face running QBs by week one. I hope so.
Believe me, I would love to eat raw eggplant (Vegan here. I will not eat crow and I hate eggplant.) after week one.
I hope that Capers proves me wrong and that he proves capable of keeping his job.
But he has yet to prove that to me and all the others who think that he is incapable.

D

Dan115

It is not how you start but how you finish the season. Let's come back to the fire Capers discussion in a few weeks.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Seems to me that preseason is the perfect opportunity to get things right or to show that things are corrected.
On the offense side, we saw that Vince Young has rightfully so earned the back up QB spot.
So shouldn't the D show that they are ready for running QBs and offensives as well?
Seattle gave us negative (That's negative!) yards on our running backs.
Maybe I am jumping the gun here but so far I don't like seeing how our defense is failing.
The Seahawks game just looked so much like the last real game the Pack was in against the 9ers.
Capers has had all this time to get it right.
Now maybe, just maybe they will have figured out how to face running QBs by week one. I hope so.
Believe me, I would love to eat raw eggplant (Vegan here. I will not eat crow and I hate eggplant.) after week one.
I hope that Capers proves me wrong and that he proves capable of keeping his job.
But he has yet to prove that to me and all the others who think that he is incapable.
This is preseason. Vanilla, I repeat VANILLA the hell out of them. I'm pissed we showed as many exotic looks as we did VS SEA. Why bring those packages out? So your opponent (SF) has 2 weeks to figure it out and game plan against it? Makes me wonder if Capers was serious or only ******** around. We were evaluating players, that means 1 on 1, mano a mano, prove that you're the better player, and the players all know that. The scheme is bland and easily read, so it's on the players to prove they're men and get the job done, because the offense is just as bland. That all changes in season, but right now if the D is sucking, and the 3rd string RB's are running like a truck, it's because A the (3rd string) DL isn't disciplined enough to keep gap intetgrity, B The OLB's aren't setting an edge, C the ILB's are sucking hard, or D the DB's aren't tackling. The guys get put in the ultimate nut up or shut up, play above the x's and o's so the caches can see who's worth keeping or you get cut. What good does masking the players deficiencies with scheme do when you're trying to find out what's wrong with them? Then we blame the coach and call for his head for doing his damn job, just because the players aren't man enough to execute cover two against a 3rd string offense running slants and drives. So yes, you're jumping the gun, actually you're showing up to the race 2 weeks early. Let's wait til after a game where Capers actually has to think before we start yelling buns to bricks, and boots to A*s shall we?

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

So shouldn't the D show that they are ready for running QBs and offensives as well? Mybe I am jumping the gun here but so far I don't like seeing how our defense is failing.

You must have turned the game off after the first quarter. Wilson started 6-6 for 92 yards. After the second sack, he was 5-11 for 34 yards with 2 INTs. Are you aware that Wilson recorded 0 runs in that game, planned or otherwise?
I don't believe Wilson ran a single read-option play.

This will be the trend with the running franchise QBs. RGIII incurring a concussion and a knee last season should have been the wake up call. There's just too much at stake.

That's not to say QBs won't scramble, though Wilson did not. As far a Capers in concerned, I would hope he has something up his sleeve besides man-to-man D all day, with the secondary's backs to the play.

H

HardRightEdge

You must have turned the game off after the first quarter. Wilson started 6-6 for 92 yards. After the second sack, he was 5-11 for 34 yards with 2 INTs. Are you aware that Wilson recorded 0 runs in that game, planned or otherwise?
I don't believe Wilson ran a single read-option play.

This will be the trend with the running franchise QBs. RGIII incurring a concussion and a knee last season should have been the wake up call. There's just too much at stake.

That's not to say QBs won't scramble, though Wilson did not. As far a Capers in concerned, I would hope he has something up his sleeve besides man-to-man D all day, with the secondary's backs to the play.

Correction: Wilson had one run for 13 yards, which changes nothing.

D

Dan115

Next year the Packers can fire Capers and hire Rex Ryan. Ryan and McCarthy. Look out.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams have to have more going for them than just the read option. If that were not the case Joe Webb would have lit us up last January and AP would only be a footnote. Our D played pretty well in the first half. However, we were helped by a deluge of Seahawk penalties. Were it not for that it is safe to say they would have had more than 3 points to show.
It may be that Capers 3-4 version of defense is more suited to a veteran D.
It may be too confusing for a young bunch like we have. We may be better off with a simple Lovie Smith vanilla defense that worked for the Bears for many years.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing I noticed about Capers; Everytime I log onto this site I see a "Fire Capers" thread with dozens of pages of replies claiming how bad he is.

Alternatively, everytime I tune into watch the game I hear the announcers gush about how great of a "defensive mastermind" Capers is.

He is probably somewhere in the middle, realistically.

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
One thing I noticed about Capers; Everytime I log onto this site I see a "Fire Capers" thread with dozens of pages of replies claiming how bad he is.

Alternatively, everytime I tune into watch the game I hear the announcers gush about how great of a "defensive mastermind" Capers is.

He is probably somewhere in the middle, realistically.
Well stated..... his defenses tend to decline with time everywhere he goes. Honestly surprised he is still around as DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts