Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The plan going into the season was not to have Erik Walden start at OLB. That's why Perry was drafted.
There is no salary cap for coaches, the Packers can pay Capers as much as they want. That's obviously not the case with Jennings.

I don't want 'em to pay him anything!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No more excuses for Dom. Its time to go because his system doesnt work anymore. Theloses we have suffered in the playoffs lie solely on terrible outings on defense. Weve had one good year on defense hile hes been here. Time to bring in a YOUNGER guy with fire.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you have a link available?

I can't post links to ESPN Insider (got in trouble last time), but to paraphrase:

"Erik Walden replaced Perry and was unable to provide any pressure while getting controlled against the run. His Pass Rushing Productivity (loosely defined as how often he was able to affect the quarterback via pressure, explained in more detail here) of 4.9 ranked last among the top 32 qualifiers at 3-4 outside linebacker."

The article is much longer, but this is the short of it.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
So I guess the question now is, if McCarthy decides to keep him another year, can the defense improve if we add better players at key positions? Say we get a stud ILB to go with Bishop, (Hawk can be the backup), strong OLB who can generate the pass rush along with Clay, etc.

This may be our only option. We sure do miss Nick Collins.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
I can't post links to ESPN Insider (got in trouble last time), but to paraphrase:

"Erik Walden replaced Perry and was unable to provide any pressure while getting controlled against the run. His Pass Rushing Productivity (loosely defined as how often he was able to affect the quarterback via pressure, explained in more detail here) of 4.9 ranked last among the top 32 qualifiers at 3-4 outside linebacker."

The article is much longer, but this is the short of it.
Cool, I may have to consider a subscription. How'd they rate Clay?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone watch the Badgers beat Indiana last night? Zeller killed us in the first half with 18 points, then scored 3 in the second half. Asked about the adjustments he made at half-time Ryan said: "I'd like to say that there was some coaching strategy. We just didn't move out feet and get into the spots and the angles that we normally do and Zeller is that much better this year and he just destroyed (Jared) Berggren and (Frank Kaminsky). And if it took 20 minutes to show our guys that he's that good so be it but we really didn't change anything with our positioning, we just did it better."

The exact same quote, with name changes, could be attributed to McCarthy or Capers after being destroyed by Kaepernick.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=6421

We heard, why not play zone, why not have a spy...

it is addressed
After the game, safety Charles Woodson lamented that the Packers didn’t make any second-half adjustments, but according to Capers, he did adjust: After watching Kaepernick gain huge chunks of yardage by scrambling against man coverage, he switched to playing more zone. The result: A 44-yard deep ball to Vernon Davis with A.J. Hawk in coverage, for example.

As for the suggestion that the Packers needed to spy Kaepernick, Capers confirmed that they did on many occasions. The issue, according to defensive line coach Mike Trgovac, was that Capers’ options for the job were limited. Only one player on the defense was best suited for the role.

“I think that's going to be a big offseason focus on us, as well. I ran into that problem with playing Michael Vick and being in that (NFC South) division,” Trgovac said, referring to his time as the Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator against the then-Atlanta Falcons QB. “You have to make sure you have a guy who can do that. He has some savviness and enough speed to catch him.

The problem is Clay is probably the best guy to do that. When you do that, you kind of take him out of the rush and you don't want to do that. Clay can actually do that very well, but you really don't want to take him out of rushing. We didn't do that to begin with and then we switched it at the end doing it because we obviously didn't get it done the other way."

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Make plays not excuses.

So they wouldn't let Clay be the spy because his completely ineffective pass rush was too important?

How do you not prepare for this during the week? Kap played half the damn season and showed a great ability to run the ball.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, did they think they were preparing for Peyton Manning?

Having Clay available for a pass rush is fantastic and all, but you still need to ADJUST your gameplan for your competition. Basically their options were

A) Assign the best suited guy as a spy (Matthews) and take him out of pass rush
or
B) Keep him available for pass rush and use other LB's to spy that don't have the speed to do it and get burned by Kaepernick all game.

So they went with option B.

I'm tired of hearing the excuses. The Rams and Seahawks held Kaepernick in check just fine. Don't suddenly act like there's simply nothing you could have done to keep him from running for 200.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need to get rid of Capers along with every olb not named CLAY matthes. Have perry gain some weight and get to about Mike neals size and let him play defensive end. Its been evident since Jenkins lefft we dont have anyone on the line who can get you 6 to 7 sacks. Bishop should stay at. MlB but id like to see more speed and coveragee ability so maybe DJ Smith replaces AJ Hawk. As far as the other Olb spot no one on our roster is worth plugging in as a starter there. This guy comes from free agency or the draft.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year, Teddy drafted defensive guys with all his early picks, and I felt he made great selections for us.
Will he do it again?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^I think it will be a 50/50 draft this time.....half defense half offense
Could be. I don't want to draft a RB.
I don't want to draft a WR.

I can see us taking an OG, OT, TE, possible backup QB prospect, maybe a C but I think they like Dietrich-Smith more than some of you do.

But Capers needs serious upgrades on defense. Needs some PHYSICALITY. Can't only have one guy with that demeanor (Bishop). Matthews has it all though, but he's the edge rusher we need.
Or we need a guy instead of Capers who can make them more physical.

For being such a soft defense, we sure do get a lot of injuries to it.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I think we should submit several of the posters names to MM and TT. They seem to have it all figured out and the skills and experience to be a DC.:D

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think we should submit several of the posters names to MM and TT. They seem to have it all figured out and the skills and experience to be a DC.:D

I agree...Maybe they can make a tape of how it should be done using the magnetic football game

12theTruth

I think the rules changes have killed the league I used to love. Flags when there shouldn't be. No flags when there should be. Two things that have hit an unprecedented level this season in my opinion. The eye test says the top 5 teams this year are as a whole less dominant than at any other time in recent memory.

Retaining Capers also adds a death dagger to the carnage. Sickened is all I can feel when I hear McFattie get majorly "appalled" at the thought a mere fan would question his coach and friend Dom Capers. Sure, the Packers will have a winning record. Sure, Aaron Rodgers will put up some other-worldly stats. Heck, the Packers might even get a first round bye in 2013. But if you are buying what McFattie is selling than you also must swallow the glass of kool-aid fully and get ready for another unceremonious spanking against: A. teams with smash mouth type offensive lines AND B. option QB's, and the elite class which include Brees, Brady, Manning Brothers, etc.

The blueprint has been laid. The coach with poor in-game adjustments will surely hold up his end of the bargain to add another stake to the heart of this diehard, life-long Packer fan.

So Capers has questionable talent to run his schemes some say. Well 3 of Ted Thompson's assistant have gotten GM jobs in the last 3 years. The sign of a fantastic talent evaluating group wouldn't ya say. So, I think the talent is there for the most part, it is fundamental coaching which has been the determining factor in what should be a slam dunk that Capers IS

FINISHED!

OP
OP
A

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear Ray Horton is on the market now. I would for him to be picked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts