1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Capers

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by azrsx05, Sep 9, 2012.

1. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    The point being that he hasn't completed his post-season analysis with his coaching staff. Bringing back Capers is going to require a new contract, and Capers isn't going to sign anything less than three years. I'm 50-50 on whether they'll re-sign him or not. MM must know that if he brings him back and nothing changes, then he'll be held to account himself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    Is that kind of decision really up to McCarthy though? Doesn't that have to go through the President and GM?

3. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    It's true that our defense is very young at many positions, and that's the only reason I won't raise Cain if he is back next year, but if he is, there had better be tangible, meaningful improvements made.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +842
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:

5. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Yes, but it would be extremely unusual for a GM to deny a coach the assistants that he wants. That's the kind of thing you expect form Jerry Jones.

6. NorthWestCheeseHead

NorthWestCheeseHead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +374
    I'd rather go for a low priced talent for the long term instead of gambling at a high price for a short term flash in the pan.

7. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +842
    The discipline and tackling have got to improve. No more blown coverages, blown contain assignments and no more half *** arm tackles. It was absolutely insulting to no end to hear MM blame everything on the CBA and the lack of practices. EVERY other team follows the same rules. It doesn't stop the good ones from playing a punishing brand of physical defense.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Southpaw

Ratings:
    +422
    Exactly. The whole dynamic of the 49er's on defense changed during a lockout and a new head coach. Houston was the same deal, new Coordinator, no offeseason and from 32nd to top 3 in defense. If a coordinator who's been with the team for 3 seasons can't get his team to play better, then he's clearly not a "genius" like some here enjoy labeling him

9. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Agree with you on the defense and Capers. Same issues over and over.
    I see no intensity on our defense compared to the 49ers & Seahawks. Passion. Fire. Aggressiveness.

I used to get mad at our anti-free agent stance, but seeing what a waste of money the super prize Mario Williams was this season..... reminding me of our mistake with Joe Johnson.... those were 2 DL who were "proven" studs already at the NFL level.
    And with our injury luck, paying any big $ to one guy will backfire.

I thought Anthony Hargrove was a good cheap signing because he has intensity & fire. But apparently that's not what the team likes on defense.

10. Southpaw

Ratings:
    +422
    Mario actually wasn't bad the second half of the season. He finished with 10.5 sacks and 2 Forced Fumbles. For a 5T defensive end that's actually not all that bad. Anytime you go to a new team there is going to be an adjustment period. Some guys take longer than others. Granted they did overpay him, quite disgustingly in fact.

But yeah we have no fire on this defense. We need a guy like Ray Lewis or Brian Dawkins that's the kind of player we need on our team. Someone that gives us an edge, someone who elevates the play of guys around him, a guy who is going to hold himself and everyone else around him accountable. Nobody on our team does that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
  12. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +842
    Don't read anything into that. All they did was watch the same presser I did and they made their own conclusions. MM at least said the evaluation process begins tomorrow morning and they will go from there. So there is a chance, a slim chance but hopefully TT has some advice for MM on not playing favorites with his friends.

13. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +376
    McCarthy said he was "appalled" at a question about Capers status.I feel very confident Dom Capers is going to be our defensive coordinator." But will still evaluate all coaches.

That seems to sound like he's hear to stay. Without a litany of good candidates and our normal conservative approach under this Packers administration, I guess this doesn't really surprise me we're sticking with Capers.

But really McCarthy, you've seen these playoff games. You were there in 2011. Can you really be that "appalled"??

14. Alex

Alex Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +213
    I like MM but sometimes he seems very dense.

15. Southpaw

Ratings:
    +422
    I tend to agree. Often during a game when something doesn't go right he has this inept..... almost clueless demeanor about him.

16. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    I'm officially on the "fire Capers" bandwagon. Aaron Rodgers is 5-3 in the playoffs. In those three losses, the opposing team scored 51, 37 and 45 points. In the most recent loss, the Packers were totally unprepared for the "read option" and never adjusted. There is no excuse for that.

I have no suggestion of who should replace him so please don't reply with the standard "Who do you suggest should run the defense?" question. I'm an observer, not a GM.

17. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    He said he was appalled at being posed the question before being given time to make an objective decision based on an in-depth analysis of the season. He didn't say he was appalled at the idea of Capers not being here next year.

18. PackFanNChiTown

PackFanNChiTown Bear Fan's Bane

Ratings:
    +364
    http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...o-return/91bd0512-a1b9-4f01-b8cd-430acc531f59

19. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,498
    The adjustment we made was we went to a spy technique and he juked us on the spy call,” Capers said in explaining the various adjustments he made in an attempt to stop Kaepernick. All of them were unsuccessful.

Who, Dom? Did you really think that Erik Walden was going to cut the mustard as your spy?

Also, you said you made adjustments, they just didn't work. Your defensive leader says you didn't make any adjustments. Is it too much to ask that you would all have been on the same page for the biggest game of the year?

20. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Rewatch the Rams games, both of them, and see how to defend Kaepernick.
    It's not like the guy is unstoppable. He only looked that way against us.

What we did is a crime. We acted like we were preparing for Alex Smith all week long. Or Pocket Joe Montana.

21. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    Great article on ESPN where they use advanced metrics to rank 3-4 outside linebackers. Out of the 32 outside linebackers who qualified for the list, Erik Walden came in 32nd. Using advanced metrics, assuming you're blind or never saw him play on television, ranks Walden the worst OLB in the NFL.

22. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,316
    The plan going into the season was not to have Erik Walden start at OLB. That's why Perry was drafted.
    There is no salary cap for coaches, the Packers can pay Capers as much as they want. That's obviously not the case with Jennings.

23. PackFanNChiTown

PackFanNChiTown Bear Fan's Bane

Ratings:
    +364
    Do you have a link available?

24. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +519
    A typical MM response that anyone on this board could have predicted. The problem is, saying the same old thing and following the same old script doesn't work anymore after 2 straight seasons of the poorest defense in the playoffs.

And its not like there weren't signs that this could happen during the regular season. It took us 3 tries to finally stop AP, and one wonders what would have happened if Minn would have had a healthy Ponder rather than Webb. The Indy game was another one, the giants game another. All were proof of major problems on defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    I don't want 'em to pay him anything!

26. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453