Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Didnt Perry have issues with being in 3-4 and rather be in 4-3 with both hands down?

Yes. But in a 4-3 you'd really want him to bulk up to about 275-280. 263 is a bit light and I'm leery of small DEs ever since Jamal Reynolds.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. But in a 4-3 you'd really want him to bulk up to about 275-280. 263 is a bit light and I'm leery of small DEs ever since Jamal Reynolds.

Depends on the specific scheme. 265-ish can be enough, though probably not on the strong side.

And the Reynolds comparison isn't really fair. That guy looked like a safety. Didn't he only weigh ~245 or so? Even then he might have worked in a different 4-3. Our ends at the time had too much run responsibility for him to work.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I understood you, I don't think it'll work. If you start Smith and Bishop, who's the big body that takes on blocks? In your suggestion, that would be Smith. I see that working out poorly.

Smith is only 3 lbs lighter than Hawk. I'm thinking he can spend a couple weeks in the weight room and make that up.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry was drafted at 272lbs and could easily handle 280 pounds like Jason Piere-Paul from the Giants. Also, I remember Paul Kruger from the Ravens when he was drafted at 260lbs and they wanted him to add weight and he did. He plays with his hand on the ground and had 9 sacks this season.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smith is only 3 lbs lighter than Hawk. I'm thinking he can spend a couple weeks in the weight room and make that up.

Certainly possible. Though I'd like my 4-3 ILBs to be taller. Part of their role in pass defense over the middle is just "Be Tall." Not unlike 3-4 ends, honestly.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry was drafted at 272lbs and could easily handle 280 pounds like Jason Piere-Paul from the Giants. Also, I remember Paul Kruger from the Ravens when he was drafted at 260lbs and they wanted him to add weight and he did. He plays with his hand on the ground and had 9 sacks this season.

Ravens aren't really a fair comparison. They flop between a 3-4 and 4-3 look pretty often.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Depends on the specific scheme. 265-ish can be enough, though probably not on the strong side.

And the Reynolds comparison isn't really fair. That guy looked like a safety. Didn't he only weigh ~245 or so?

I'm pretty sure he was 260.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guess I'm joining the "Fire Capers" team.

I don't think it would've mattered much who was on defense. Capers did not put this team in a position to win. Not with that scheme. I also don't feel like our front seven has played with enough discipline, especially against teams like SF and MIN.

There are only going to be more of these types of QBs in the upcoming years. I'd try to fix this problem ASAP.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if we win, but I am pretty sure we dont get blown out

You think Walden and Jones are the same talent level as Bishop and Perry

Was that a question or a statement? I never said Walden and Jones are the same talent level as Bishop and Perry.

I should point out though, that Perry had yet to beat out Walden for the starting OLB gig before he went down.

No doubt that Bishop to Brad Jones is a certain downgrade, but unless a healthy Bishop would have been spying and containing Kapernick all night tonight, it would have made no difference.

Brad Jones did not have a good game, but the reasons we lost go a lot deeper than him being on the field.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The strength coaches need to be **** canned as well. No one is getting bigger stronger or faster.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he was 260.

He very well might have been. I didn't have quite the interest in our roster back then I do now.

I do remember him looking tiny. Regardless of weight, he just didn't look like he had a good build to play strong.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Was that a question or a statement? I never said Walden and Jones are the same talent level as Bishop and Perry.

I should point out though, that Perry had yet to beat out Walden for the starting OLB gig before he went down.

No doubt that Bishop to Brad Jones is a certain downgrade, but unless a healthy Bishop would have been spying and containing Kapernick all night tonight, it would have made no difference.

Brad Jones did not have a good game, but the reasons we lost go a lot deeper than him being on the field.

You asked if outcome would been different if Perry and Bishop were there and not Walden and Jones.

If you think their talent is better then Wal and Jones, then they should have made a bigger impact..Hence shouldnt been as bad as of a blow out?

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers probably won't be fired, nor will anyone else. I don't think MM has ever fired anyone? He may be loyal to a fault. He stuck with Mason Crosby when anyone else would have cut him.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers probably won't be fired, nor will anyone else. I don't think MM has ever fired anyone? He may be loyal to a fault. He stuck with Mason Crosby when anyone else would have cut him.
Capers will retire. It will be a neat and clean parting of ways.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If MM does not fire Capers he's going to hear about it from a lot of people. I hope some of them are inside the organization.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im not going to make excuses for the defense. We will NEVER. Go to another super bowl ith this defense. Embarrassed. To be a fan of this team

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am baffled that some people think the defensive problems are from a lack of talent defensively.

He has four recent pro-bowl players, a few above average players, and a couple fringe players.

They spent this entire last draft on D, Hayward has turned into a heck of a gem, and Shields has emerged into an upper-tier DB.

I don't know what to tell you. They can't give you an all-pro at every position. Every team has role players. Play the injury angle if you'd like, but every anticipated opening day starter besides Bishop was out there tonight.

Yes, there is a difference between scheme and execution. I don't blame Shawn Slocum for Ross booting the ball in the 2nd quarter leading to a 49er TD. But when you've been completely embarrassed in your last 3 playoff losses defensively, I can't see how that isn't at least partially attributed to a combination of very poor game planning and preparation.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You asked if outcome would been different if Perry and Bishop were there and not Walden and Jones.

If you think their talent is better then Wal and Jones, then they should have made a bigger impact..Hence shouldnt been as bad as of a blow out?

So maybe Colin only rushes for 130 yards against us and we lose 41-31 instead of 45-31? The bad points from tonight would remain the same.

And Walden/Perry is a wash. Perry is definitely more talented, but at this point in his career, production-wise, he's no better than Walden.

Bishop is a nice player, but he's not making a 14 point difference on defense. I couldn't tell you that it wouldn't have been closer, but at the end of the day we'd still be sitting here discussing what went wrong on defense tonight.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are others who think that the problem is not a lack of talent on our defense, but rather that there's something wrong at a deeper level:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...s-have-soulsearching-to-do-after-blowout-loss

Far be it for me to agree with Deion Sanders, but in this video he's on the money: "collectively they cannot get it together as such....they need to make changes in their scheme or to make changes in their personnel defensively because we keep winding up in the same places." :tup:

"The way the Giants beat them last year was a physical brand of football. They way the Niners got after them tonite was a physical brand of football..."

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So maybe Colin only rushes for 130 yards against us and we lose 41-31 instead of 45-31? The bad points from tonight would remain the same.

And Walden/Perry is a wash. Perry is definitely more talented, but at this point in his career, production-wise, he's no better than Walden.

Bishop is a nice player, but he's not making a 14 point difference on defense. I couldn't tell you that it wouldn't have been closer, but at the end of the day we'd still be sitting here discussing what went wrong on defense tonight.

We will never know

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Not everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online