Fire Athletic Training / Strength and Conditioning Staff

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
2016:
Packers ranked #2 amongst most injuries NFL teams
http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/223136/ranking-nfl-teams-most-affected-by-injuries
2015:
Packers ranked #1 amongst most injured NFL teams
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x151021/ranking-most-banged-nfl-teams-1-32

As an athletic trainer, this is not a coincidence. This is the direct result of lack of effective conditioning techniques and injury prevention education/training. The athletic training staff has become reactive, opposed to proactive. Meaning they are responding to injuries after they occur, opposed to discovering the root cause of the injury. This is apparent in the # of groin, hamstring, quadricep and calf strains this team experienced in the past two years. They need to be performing functional movement screenings during preseason and during the regular season bye to address any ROM deficits or limited strength capacity to help avoid a soft-tissue injury.

The strength and conditioning staff needs to develop a more dynamic work out regime that better prepares them for physical activity.

This staff needs to go and be replaced with a younger mind set. I know they are highly valued by the players and organization, but they are extremely sub par with those kinds of numbers.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2016:
Packers ranked #2 amongst most injuries NFL teams
http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/223136/ranking-nfl-teams-most-affected-by-injuries
2015:
Packers ranked #1 amongst most injured NFL teams
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x151021/ranking-most-banged-nfl-teams-1-32

As an athletic trainer, this is not a coincidence. This is the direct result of lack of effective conditioning techniques and injury prevention education/training. The athletic training staff has become reactive, opposed to proactive. Meaning they are responding to injuries after they occur, opposed to discovering the root cause of the injury. This is apparent in the # of groin, hamstring, quadricep and calf strains this team experienced in the past two years. They need to be performing functional movement screenings during preseason and during the regular season bye to address any ROM deficits or limited strength capacity to help avoid a soft-tissue injury.

The strength and conditioning staff needs to develop a more dynamic work out regime that better prepares them for physical activity.

This staff needs to go and be replaced with a younger mind set. I know they are highly valued by the players and organization, but they are extremely sub par with those kinds of numbers.
Thank you I was about to post a thread about this same topic, It is going on too many years of these same injuries. I think it has to do with MM not getting the right staff in to correct these problems. He would rather have friendly relationships instead of doing whats best for the team.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have an injury crisis. MM tried to alleviate it by resting players a lot during the presentation season and giving guys an easy Friday workout but it didn't help. At least MM is trying and not sticking his head in the sand. I agree that major changes need to be made in strength and conditioning. The injury epidemic has turned into a reoccurring farse. I also think the players need to play faster and more aggressive. When you are moving you are less likely to have a leg planted in the ground. While the Packers routinely get 2-3 injured every game, opposing teams seem to have only a fraction of the injuries that the Packers get.

Cheese Meister

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I too have been questioning the effectiveness of our training staff in alleviating injuries. Every game I get nervous to see whom will be next to get carted off. Even hamstrings are getting too common. If they players are not properly trained, this will just keep on getting worse.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know what they are or aren't doing, but it's obvious we didn't have a good year again, when it comes to injuries. But then 2 years ago we were pretty healthy all the way thru.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is probably one of the best threads I've seen in a while. Instead of going with fire the coach, GM or other staff, you prob deeper into the issue. I haven't seen a thread about training and conditioning until this. We certainly can't ignore the long list of injuries, I think it's worth taking a look at conditioning and training.

Very well said.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that ever since Pepper stepped down as the head ATC and took on a lesser role, they have been far more aggressive as far as getting guys back on the field.

My problem in this area mainly has to do with Lovat and the S&C program. He may be a great nutritionist and be an energy systems guru but the job he does (possibly in unison with the ATC's) with the soft tissue injury prevention is atrocious. It needs to be addressed. These guys have multiple assistants. Murphy keeps banking so much damn money you could afford to bring in an additional guy to head that section of the medical program.

Viper556

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be interested to see years even further back than that. Seems like ever since 2010, with the exception of maybe one year, the Packers have been one of the most injured teams in the league. I thought it was coincidence at first, but year after year? That can't just be coincidence.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to Football Outsiders the Packers were the ninth healthiest team during the 2015 season.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2016/2015-adjusted-games-lost

It seems to me the ESPN list is mostly made up of subjective opinions rather than analyzing the numbers.

I'd be interested to see years even further back than that. Seems like ever since 2010, with the exception of maybe one year, the Packers have been one of the most injured teams in the league. I thought it was coincidence at first, but year after year? That can't just be coincidence.

Here are numbers since 2011:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/2014-adjusted-games-lost

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/2013-adjusted-games-lost

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/2012-adjusted-games-lost

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2012/2011-adjusted-games-lost

The Packers suffered a ton of injuries in 2010, '12 and '13 but have been healthier since then.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there seriously ever going to BE a better way of evaluating this than subjectivity? Who is injured, when they're injured, who replaces them, what the injury is, et. al. I always think of the 2010 team, and the long IR list - after eliminating the 'who is that?' players, the ones who were replaced by better players, the ones whose absence actually helped overall, and the replacements that had their career year, there aren't many names left. This year, the IR problem was mostly Shields - it seems that the biggest problem was 'nagging' injuries. Not trying to argue any point other than that ranking a team's injury standing by games lost is better than no paradigm, but it's certainly not, IMO, something to hand your hat on.

D

Deleted member 6794

Is there seriously ever going to BE a better way of evaluating this than subjectivity? Who is injured, when they're injured, who replaces them, what the injury is, et. al. I always think of the 2010 team, and the long IR list - after eliminating the 'who is that?' players, the ones who were replaced by better players, the ones whose absence actually helped overall, and the replacements that had their career year, there aren't many names left. This year, the IR problem was mostly Shields - it seems that the biggest problem was 'nagging' injuries. Not trying to argue any point other than that ranking a team's injury standing by games lost is better than no paradigm, but it's certainly not, IMO, something to hand your hat on.

Football Outsiders numbers do not simply add up the number of games missed. With Football Outsiders' adjusted games lost (AGL) metric, they are able to quantify how much teams were affected by injuries based on two principles: (1) Injuries to starters, replacement starters, and important situational reserves (No. 3 wide receiver, nickelback, etc.) matter more than injuries to bench warmers; and (2) Injured players who do take the field are usually playing with reduced ability, which is why AGL is based not strictly on whether the player is active for the game or not, but instead is based on the player's listed status that week (IR/PUP, out, doubtful, questionable or probable).

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No real problem with that. What I was getting at was, e.g., the 2010 injury to Barnett, resulting in (what a lot of us felt was) replacement by a better player. This year, I don't recall his listed status, but for several games, Matthews was playing, but at a vastly reduced effectiveness. Just as there sometimes players that seem to fit all the numbers, but just fail the 'eye test', I'd be reluctant to try and prove a point with FO's AGL - as I said, it may be the best way to take a shot at quantifying the situation, but...

D

Deleted member 6794

No real problem with that. What I was getting at was, e.g., the 2010 injury to Barnett, resulting in (what a lot of us felt was) replacement by a better player. This year, I don't recall his listed status, but for several games, Matthews was playing, but at a vastly reduced effectiveness. Just as there sometimes players that seem to fit all the numbers, but just fail the 'eye test', I'd be reluctant to try and prove a point with FO's AGL - as I said, it may be the best way to take a shot at quantifying the situation, but...

I agree that Football Outsiders´ AGL is far from perfect but for sure better than some reporters coming up with a random list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Took a long time to establish it, but I think we've been on the same page all along.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
The Green Bay Athletic training staff are about as good as Brett Hundley. The only injury that was not their fault was the Rodgers injury.

mkonyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd actually be interested in seeing how much money we paid out to injured players over the last few years.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts