Finley update

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And they still don't take the same type of hits that people going down field do.

The bottom line is that I said in my OP and in every post since then that I think he shouldn't continue to play because of the increased injury risk. That's a fact...

Football already carries an increased risk for injury but players accept the risk. If any increase in risk since his surgery is deemed minimal and he is willing to accept that minimal increase, what business is it of anyone else?

D

Deleted member 6794

Sign Him NOW! Tired of this crap that he is not going to be okay and blah blah. The guy can play and he has less chance of re-injuring his neck then before.

This statement is just plain stupid and highly ignorant. It´s fine that you have no idea about what effects a spinal fusion surgery at the C3-C4 level has, but I would appreciate it if you wouldn´t post completely random BS about it and present it as if it was a fact.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
How much will it take to sign Finley? Since he’s been cleared by his doctor there isn’t any reason to believe he’ll accept a near minimum contract with incentives. He made $14M over the past two years and there is a report that the Giants are interested in him and there will probably be other teams also interested.

Of course nearly every Packers fan would like to see a healthy Finley return to the lineup, but if he does, how does that affect re-signing Nelson and Cobb? With the roster as it currently stands, if you pick two of the three, who would you pick?

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bottom line is if Finley wants to play again he's going to play here or somewhere else. I'm sure he understands all the risk but for a guy being in his 20's health wise he probably thinks his neck can sustain, and if Doc says so then why not? We all need to recognize that Finley never really hit his ceiling yet but just showed glimpse of how good he can be. Why wouldn't TT want him back?.it just makes the offense that much dangerous.
Same thing got said about Collins and he's not even in football anymore, though still trying to get back. My personal views are a reflection of my own decisions I made when faced with a career ending/ altering injury in the Army. No, not a neck injury but one that made it so I couldn't do a job I loved to do anymore and I asked the docs to just let me do my thing anyways. At 29 I now have the knees and ankles of a 50 year old.

D

Deleted member 6794

How much will it take to sign Finley? Since he’s been cleared by his doctor there isn’t any reason to believe he’ll accept a near minimum contract with incentives. He made $14M over the past two years and there is a report that the Giants are interested in him and there will probably be other teams also interested.

Of course nearly every Packers fan would like to see a healthy Finley return to the lineup, but if he does, how does that affect re-signing Nelson and Cobb? With the roster as it currently stands, if you pick two of the three, who would you pick?

If Dr. McKenzie clears him I would want the Packers to offer him an incentive laden contract. If some other team wants to guarantee a lot of money to him I wish him good luck but I don't want the Packers to match it.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read where Finley has a $10 million insurance clause that kicks in if he doesn't play football
again. He will be weighing that against any offers he receives and I doubt if he signs anywhere
for less than around $10 million guaranteed.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
This statement is just plain stupid and highly ignorant. It´s fine that you have no idea about what effects a spinal fusion surgery at the C3-C4 level has, but I would appreciate it if you wouldn´t post completely random BS about it and present it as if it was a fact.

He is medically cleared by a respected doctor. How is that ignorant? So if a doctor that is respected tells me I am okay I am not supposed to believe him?

I think a lot of people point to one of "my favorite packers of all time" "Nick Collins" and automatically think the worst. This isn't a Nick Collins situation.

He wants to play and he obviously is willing to take the risk. Who are any of us to tell him he can't play if a respected doctor cleared him?

I know you are high on Lyerla but geez. Can you imagine double TE?

Yeah Lyerla, the guy you told me TT would never take a shot on?

Last edited:

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is medically cleared by a respected doctor. How is that ignorant? So if a doctor that is respected tells me I am okay I am not supposed to believe him?

I think a lot of people point to one of "my favorite packers of all time" "Nick Collins" and automatically think the worst. This isn't a Nick Collins situation.

He wants to play and he obviously is willing to take the risk. Who are any of us to tell him he can't play if a respected doctor cleared him?

How is this different from Collins? He STILL wants to play and is actively trying to re enter the league for the last two seasons. He's seen multiple doctors that are not the Packers' team doctor and has been cleared by the third party doctors. Teams still wont touch him.

Explain this to me; WHY IS FINLEY DIFFERENT? Because you want him to be? thought so. *close thread*

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
How is this different from Collins? He STILL wants to play and is actively trying to re enter the league for the last two seasons. He's seen multiple doctors that are not the Packers' team doctor and has been cleared by the third party doctors. Teams still wont touch him.

Explain this to me; WHY IS FINLEY DIFFERENT? Because you want him to be? thought so. *close thread*

So Peyton Manning shouldn't be playing then either? Close the thread on Peyton Manning. My point is we are not doctors. Yes, I want Finley to play but at the same time he wants to play and has been cleared by a respected doctor.

Let him Play.

He is going to play. You can bet the ranch on that and it will be very sad if not for the Pack.

This is not going to end up like Nick Collins sitting home.

Last edited:

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Peyton Manning shouldn't be playing then either? Close the thread on Peyton Manning. My point is we are not doctors. Yes, I want Finley to play but at the same time he wants to play and has been cleared by a respected doctor.

Let him Play.

He is going to play. You can bet the ranch on that and it will be very sad if not for the Pack.

This is not going to end up like Nick Collins sitting home.

I agree that it would suck for him to continue playing elsewhere. I don't think Manning is as relevant because of the position he plays and because it is for a different organization. Whereas the Collins situation gives some insight into the thinking of TT and MM. Granted everything waiting for Dr. McKenzie's word, even Collins' surgical doctor cleared him for play before McKenzie evaluated him.

And even if he does get clearance who's getting squeezed out to keep Fin?

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if there have been any technological/ medical advancements between Collins' surgery and Manning/ Finley that could increase the recovery rate/ decreased reinjury rate.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's referring to the fact that Finley was found to have had spinal stenosis long before his injury and his surgery addressed that issue as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

He´s been medically cleared by his own neurosurgeon, not by any team doctor in the league though. Your assumption that he isn´t at greater risk of suffering another injury to his neck is ignorant and I´ve explained the risks about it in some previous posts, you can look it up if you want to. If that wouldn´t be the case he would have been cleared months ago, as the vertabreas at C3-C4 level won´t be a problem.

I was actually shocked Thompson took a chance on Lyerla, never expected that to happen. Nevertheless I´m rooting for him now as he´s the most talented TE on the roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

So Peyton Manning shouldn't be playing then either? Close the thread on Peyton Manning.

Manning had a one level spinal fusion surgery, which is a way different story than a multi level fusion like Collins and Finley had. In addition there´s no information available at which level Peyton´s surgery took place which is of crucial importance as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think he's referring to the fact that Finley was found to have had spinal stenosis long before his injury and his surgery addressed that issue as well.

In the process not allowing any movement in the fused vertebraes, which puts the ones above and below at greater risk of injury in the future.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the process not allowing any movement in the fused vertebraes, which puts the ones above and below at greater risk of injury in the future.
Perhaps, but not likely any more likely than he was with the stenosis. Fin's a grown man and he'll make the correct decision. If McKenzie likes what he sees in the CT scans after consulting with his medical team, he'll clear him. If he clears him, he should be re-signed. It's that simple.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BECAUSE HE'S NOT NICK COLLINS. Every person has anatomical differences. Every injury is different. Every surgery is a little different and every outcome is different.

And people also heal differently and at different rates.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think the difficulties in signing Finley will go a little deeper then "medical clearance". There is also the 10 mill or so insurance policy that he would be giving up. IMO it will be tough for TT to offer a contract with that much money guaranteed coming off an injury as significant as Finley's.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couple things on Finley's insurance.

1) The 10M is tax free which Finley has stated equates to 16-17M in salary.

2). We don't know the specifics of his insurance contract. He may be required to seek medical clearance from an NFL team and the insurance might void if he is cleared and opts not to sign a contract. So we can't necessarily say it will take 10M, 16M guaranteed or whatever to sign him when we dont know the provisions of his disability insurance.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Couple things on Finley's insurance.

1) The 10M is tax free which Finley has stated equates to 16-17M in salary.

2). We don't know the specifics of his insurance contract. He may be required to seek medical clearance from an NFL team and the insurance might void if he is cleared and opts not to sign a contract. So we can't necessarily say it will take 10M, 16M guaranteed or whatever to sign him when we dont know the provisions of his disability insurance.

Yes, It will be very interesting to see how this whole thing plays out. What I like is that it went from nobody thought it was even possible for Finley to come back to now "it's on the table".

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Fin's a grown man and he'll make the correct decision.
Yes, he's a grown man and grown men make incredibly good and incredibly bad decisions every day - and the whole range of decisions in between.
If he clears him, he should be re-signed. It's that simple.
No it's not unless you are advocating signing him at any cost. As I posted above, what if the decision to sign him also involves the futures of Nelson and Cobb in Green Bay. If you have the choice of one or two of the three of Nelson, Cobb, and Finley, which one or two would you choose? For me, Finley is #3 on that list.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yes, he's a grown man and grown men make incredibly good and incredibly bad decisions every day - and the whole range of decisions in between. No it's not unless you are advocating signing him at any cost. As I posted above, what if the decision to sign him also involves the futures of Nelson and Cobb in Green Bay. If you have the choice of one or two of the three of Nelson, Cobb, and Finley, which one or two would you choose? For me, Finley is #3 on that list.

I don't like signing Finley to a long term deal. A 1 year deal that doesn't affect Cobb or Nelson next year would be great while the younger TE's can develop. If it is done right we can keep all of them. There is plenty of cap space as it sits right now.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it possible that Finley's insurance requires him to seek clearance in order to collect on it?

No one could blame Finley if he wants to walk away -- I sure wouldn't. But look at this from the perspective of an insurance company. This is a 10M dollar policy. Say Finley says he's going to walk away now and retire.

If I'm the insurance company, I'm saying, "Hey wait a minute. Your doctor cleared you to play. I shouldn't have to pay up on this if you don't make a good faith effort to get clearance from an NFL team."

Same thing if he gets offers. I would think the policy is intended to take care of him if the injury genuinely prevents him from ever playing again (ex: Nick Collins).

I seriously doubt it is intended to be used as a bargaining chip for Finley to say "no thanks, I'll take the 10M tax free money" if he's legitimately cleared by an NFL team and just isn't being offered top 5 TE money.

Members online

Latest posts