Finley update

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point is if an NFL team doctor clears him to play, then what business is it to anyone else if he decides to do so or not?:rolleyes:
Why do you think my opinion matters on this subject? Why are people talking like my opinion somehow has any weight on the actual situation? All I'm saying is: 'I hope he is healthy and doesn't play. If he choses to he's probably not making the smartest decision and I hope he has a good enough support structure in his own life and within the Packers Org to at least tell him as much.' That's just my opinion, I'm under no illusions that it amounts to a hill of beans when all is said and done.

I just don't understand the duplicity between how people feel about Collins and Finley. Collins has stated that he, similar to Finley's claims, has been cleared by the doctor that actually performed the procedure. As well Collins has stated that Dr. McKenzie is the only doctor he's seen that hasn't cleared him to play. Last year and this year he's been making public appeals for a comeback and NFL teams are not biting. I don't know, I just don't see Finley in a NFL uniform again and that sucks a lot. But I think he'll have a better life for it; comparatively to coming back.

"The last time I talked to Dr. Cammisa, the only thing he told me was that I was 100 percent healed from the surgery," Collins said. "There's always going to be a risk, but I don't think my risk is any higher than a regular guy that's playing right now. It might be a little more, but it's pretty much the same."

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
An expected formality. It's all about Doc McKenzie

When Brett was traded here, the dr failed him on his physical for same hip issue Bo Jackson had...

Ron Wolf told the Dr Brett will pass..

I think TT or MM have final say even if our Dr okay him

D

Deleted member 6794

When Brett was traded here, the dr failed him on his physical for same hip issue Bo Jackson had...

Ron Wolf told the Dr Brett will pass..

I think TT or MM have final say even if our Dr okay him

I don´t think TT or MM will tell Dr. McKenzie to clear a guy coming of spinal fusion surgery although the doc doesn´t want to.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Now it may come down to money. I read somewhere the Packers have about $12M in cap space but I don’t know if they were guessing the cap hit of the entire rookie class or not. Anyway, with Nelson and Cobb’s contracts up after this year, how much money and cap space will the Packers be willing to spend to sign Finley? BTW, I have heard more than once Seattle is interested if Finley is cleared and doesn’t return to the Packers – don’t know if that’s true or not but certainly some team will sign him if Finley’s doctor clears him.

While looking for where I read the $12M figure, I found something interesting: The Packers picked up cap space because of Rodgers injury last season. It’s only about $350K in savings but I hadn’t heard of an insurance policy affecting the cap.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/65551/rodgers-injury-helped-packers-salary-cap
According to ESPN Stats & Information salary data, Rodgers' salary-cap number decreased by $350,000 for this season and every season through 2017. The Packers received the cap credit because they took out an insurance policy on Rodgers shortly after he signed his five-year, $110 million contract extension last April.

It's not a common practice around the league, but some teams do it to protect themselves against injuries to players with large contracts. Rodgers did not lose any actual money, but the Packers did get money returned them from the insurance policy, and therefore it was taken off their salary cap.

For this season, Rodgers' salary-cap charge dropped from $17.9 million to $17.55 million. For salary-cap purposes, his $35 million signing bonus was prorated over five years. Instead of his bonus proration counting $7 million this season, it will count $6.65 million instead.

In fact, Rodgers’ cap number will decrease by $350,000 each season through 2017.

D

Deleted member 6794

Now it may come down to money. I read somewhere the Packers have about $12M in cap space but I don’t know if they were guessing the cap hit of the entire rookie class or not. Anyway, with Nelson and Cobb’s contracts up after this year, how much money and cap space will the Packers be willing to spend to sign Finley? BTW, I have heard more than once Seattle is interested if Finley is cleared and doesn’t return to the Packers – don’t know if that’s true or not but certainly some team will sign him if Finley’s doctor clears him.

While looking for where I read the $12M figure, I found something interesting: The Packers picked up cap space because of Rodgers injury last season. It’s only about $350K in savings but I hadn’t heard of an insurance policy affecting the cap.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/65551/rodgers-injury-helped-packers-salary-cap

At the start of last week the Packers had $15 million in cap space with Clinton-Dix (who signed today), Adams, Thornton and Rodgers unsigned. Those four will approximately count $3.3 million towards a cap in 2014. That will leave the team $11.7 million under the cap, some of it will have to be used on players replacing guys on the PUP list and IR as well as the practice squad. I don´t see Finley getting anything else than an incentive laden deal if Dr. McKenzie clears him.

Interesting read about the insurance policy and Rodgers cap hit, didn´t know about that.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it's true that Maroon has cleared him to play it's likely someone will sign him. Maroon's opinion is well respected. Team physicians are asked for their opinion on injury matters. Some may recommend not signing him; others will go along with Maroon. Thompson will make the final decision on Finley. I wouldn't be surprised if he elected not to sign him even if his team Dr. gives Finley the green light.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
At the start of last week the Packers had $15 million in cap space with Clinton-Dix (who signed today), Adams, Thornton and Rodgers unsigned. Those four will approximately count $3.3 million towards a cap in 2014. That will leave the team $11.7 million under the cap, some of it will have to be used on players replacing guys on the PUP list and IR as well as the practice squad. I don´t see Finley getting anything else than an incentive laden deal if Dr. McKenzie clears him.

Interesting read about the insurance policy and Rodgers cap hit, didn´t know about that.

I completely agree. I suspect any Packer contract offer to Finley will be very heavily incentive laden and will be very small in guaranteed money. I'm fully expecting to see Finley sign with a different team.

D

Deleted member 6794

I completely agree. I suspect any Packer contract offer to Finley will be very heavily incentive laden and will be very small in guaranteed money. I'm fully expecting to see Finley sign with a different team.

I´m not sure there are a lot of teams out there offering Finley a lot of guaranteed money.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do you think my opinion matters on this subject? Why are people talking like my opinion somehow has any weight on the actual situation? All I'm saying is: 'I hope he is healthy and doesn't play. If he choses to he's probably not making the smartest decision

And I'm saying if he is healthy and continues to play, I hope it's here. And who are you to judge what is a smart decision and what isn't? Are you a neurologist? Have you examined his spine since his surgery?

I just don't understand the duplicity between how people feel about Collins and Finley.

Two people can have the exact same injury followed by the exact same treatment and have entirely different outcomes. You can't just say, "Oh, he had THAT surgery. Well so-and-so hasn't played again so he shouldn't either." Peyton Manning had no problems last year. It all hinges on how much flexibility he has and whether imaging shows any insult to the spinal cord at full range of motion. If he has all the flexibility he needs and there is no evidence of insult to the spinal cord, there is no reason at all that he can't play.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peyton Manning
Is a quarterback and did not/ does not take the kind of hits TE's take going out on middle of the field routes. You're contention is irrelevant.

Since you cant even be bothered to read my multiple comments about my concern being more concussion related than anything else, as I've stated in more than one comment I don't see the relevance to continuing this back and forth. As for the spinal fusion stuff I brought up Collins to point out a similar situation, within the Packers' Organization under TT and MM, and to say that it is reasonable to draw a similar conclusion.

And **** man, you're not a neurologist either; shut the **** up if that's the stance you want to take on this.

D

Deleted member 6794

And I'm saying if he is healthy and continues to play, I hope it's here.

The guys on Green and Gold today brought up a good point during the week about Finley.

Do you remember how he was apprehensive of injuring his knee again (which he even acknowledged at some point) after coming back from the ACL injury??? I wonder how much the neck injury will influence his game and his production in the future even if he´s cleared by Dr. McKenzie.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is a quarterback and did not/ does not take the kind of hits TE's take going out on middle of the field routes. You're contention is irrelevant.

No, it's not. When QBs get hit, they're usually not prepared for the impact.

And **** man, you're not a neurologist either; shut the **** up if that's the stance you want to take on this.

I never said I was. But YOU were the one attempting to make conclusions about Finley's ability to play that only a neurologist is qualified to make, not I. So grow up.

The bottom line is that you're attempting to say he can't/shouldn't play football anymore and you're simply not qualified to make such declarations. And opinions not based on relevant information are themselves irrelevant.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guys on Green and Gold today brought up a good point during the week about Finley.

Do you remember how he was apprehensive of injuring his knee again (which he even acknowledged at some point) after coming back from the ACL injury??? I wonder how much the neck injury will influence his game and his production in the future even if he´s cleared by Dr. McKenzie.
Only time on the field can answer that.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, it's not. When QBs get hit, they're usually not prepared for the impact.

I never said I was. But YOU were the one attempting to make conclusions about Finley's ability to play that only a neurologist is qualified to make, not I. So grow up.

The bottom line is that you're attempting to say he can't/shouldn't play football anymore and you're simply not qualified to make such declarations. And opinions not based on relevant information are themselves irrelevant.
And they still don't take the same type of hits that people going down field do.

The bottom line is that I said in my OP and in every post since then that I think he shouldn't continue to play because of the increased injury risk. That's a fact for both concussions (the reason I think he shouldn't play anymore) and the spinal fusion. I don't need to be a neurologist to say that especially when my opinion means nothing. You need to stop trying to read between the lines of what I'm writing or assuming I'm trying to present myself as some sort of subject matter expert. I'm not and have never portrayed myself as such. But since you insist on talking in circles I've got a simple solution for that.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bottom line is if Finley wants to play again he's going to play here or somewhere else. I'm sure he understands all the risk but for a guy being in his 20's health wise he probably thinks his neck can sustain, and if Doc says so then why not? We all need to recognize that Finley never really hit his ceiling yet but just showed glimpse of how good he can be. Why wouldn't TT want him back?.it just makes the offense that much dangerous.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Sign Him NOW! Tired of this crap that he is not going to be okay and blah blah. The guy can play and he has less chance of re-injuring his neck then before. He has worked his *** off to get where he is now. That shows heart and dedication that nobody can take away. He is a Packer and we will regret it big time if he is not re-signed.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Everyone hates on J-Mike because early on he was a little immature and some things came out of his agent towards Rodgers. He dropped some balls as well. He learned from a lot of this and got better. He was on pace to be a pro-bowler last year. That't what I saw.

Last edited:

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Really it is easier said than done in waiting. As it seems the wait takes like forever. Sign him and get it out of the way!

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Finley not only represents a great Packer story but also is the final piece of the "Death Star" that will be "fully operational"