1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Finley update

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Jan 31, 2014.

1. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,009
    ESPN´s Josina Anderson is reporting that Finley is expecting to get an X-ray on his neck Thursday and an MRI within two weeks. Finley said his scans will be sent to Dr. Joseph Maroon , the Pittsburgh Steelers team neurosurgeon who performed his spinal fusion surgery. The plan is to exchange the feedback on his latest films with interested teams.

2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,014
    I wonder if he has a realistic idea of what the market for himself is

3. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +645
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,009
  5. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +993
    His surgeon has written definitive articles on the treatment of spinal cord injury in athletes. If he releases Finley, he'll certainly be signed by someone, and at his age and potential he'll likely get a hefty contract. I just hope he stays healthy regardless of where he goes.

6. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +984
    We should bring him back if he's cleared, he's still a good player and gives us another threat in the pass game. It's not like The money isn't there.

7. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,014
    If you sign Finley you should draft a TE, so you have someone to prepare to start for when Finley joins the IR at the middle of the season like he always does.

8. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +993
    I believe TT will make him an offer, but won't get into a bidding war. A tight end will be drafted somewhere in the middle rounds regardless.

9. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,416
    TT will let the market pan out first, as JBlood said. He won't pay hefty for an oft-injured player with a new neck injury.

While Finely does open up offensive possibilities, the proof is in the pudding and our offense does not win more games because he is in the lineup. I defy anyone to prove otherwise.

That said, I really hope that Jermichael has a good prognosis and is able to play football again. He seems like a kid that's been learning what life and football are really all about.

10. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,115
    A tight end coming off a broken neck isn't going to command any kind of "bidding war" regardless of what any doctor says.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +984
    Yep. (Hank Hill voice)

12. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +858
    I hope we don't re-sign Finley. I just don't think he will ever be good/great. He's going to hear footsteps...

Time to move on. Best wishes to Finley.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +984
    You mean post injury? Because he was good ...not great before his injury. I think that with the success Peyton Manning has had since his neck issues although different injuries; Finley can still be a very good player in this league...May not reach jimmy graham level but he's capable of scoring double digit tds and giving defenses fits. Just remember the guy was on his way to having a huge game before he got hurt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,009
    I think all of that stuff is irrelevant as I highly doubt Finley will be able to resume his career.

15. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +984
    Tell us why Dr.WIMM. I'm curious to hear what prognosis you came up with?

16. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,009
    I´ve said that from the beginning and I´m not going to change my mind until I hear anything about a doctor clearing Finley (aren´t you surprised you haven´t heard any good news by now although Finley had X-rays on Monday???).

A spinal fusion surgery at the C3-C4 level immobilizes those vertebraes, actually making them stronger and reducing the risk of an reoccurring injury at the same level. BUT, because of those vertebraes being immobilized the impact of a hit will be greater on the vertebraes above and below the level where the fusion took place. In Finley´s case the vertebraes above the fusion are situated at the C1-C2 level, an injury there would be life-threatening with a huge risk of permanent damage to the spine.

I have a hard time believing any team or doctor would take that risk.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  17. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +993
    Joseph Maroon, Finley's surgeon, in 2013 reported on 15 professional athletes that had single level cervical fusions from 2003 to 2012. 13 of the 15 returned to play. 4 of the 15 had fusion at C3-4. All have remained asymptomatic since returning to play. His criteria for releasing athletes after such a surgery are 1) normal neurological exam; 2)Full range of motion in the neck; and 3) solid fusion on imaging

I would expect Maroon to release Finley IF all criteria are met.

18. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,678
    I got the odds that Finley NEVER PLAYS ANOTHER DOWN WITH US at:

98 %

Would love to be wrong though.

19. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,009
    Got a link to the report or the names of the four players that returned from C3-C4 fusion surgery???

20. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,946
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +858
    I think there is a 78.4% chance that you are correct.

22. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,009
    The report doesn´t indicate though that any of the guys returned to their sport after a C3-C4 fusion surgery played football.

23. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,946
    It says contact sport, which to me means football..

24. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,009
    In the video, he mentions the study was done with 8 football players and 7 wrestlers, no information about who had the C3-C4 fusion surgery though.

25. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +993
    1) In this article, Maroon doesn't distinguish football players from other contact sports when deciding return to play.
    2) It is accepted that single level fusions are likely to lead to degeneration above and below the fusion site.
    3) Maroon's opinion is based on his personal experience and research on the subject. His opinions are shared by many surgeons, but not all. For instance, many experts feel any residual MRI signal abnormality of the cervical cord is a contraindication for return to play. Maroon does not.
    4) Data around the world continues to be processed, and it is likely "best practice" guidelines concerning all head and neck injury treatment will continue to evolve.