Finley update

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone know if Finley signs with another team would the Packers be awarded
A compensatory pick in next year's draft? I thought I heard that players signed
After June 1st aren't included in the compensatory calculation but wasn't sure if
That only applied to players that were cut by their previous team.

D

Deleted member 6794

Anyone know if Finley signs with another team would the Packers be awarded
A compensatory pick in next year's draft? I thought I heard that players signed
After June 1st aren't included in the compensatory calculation but wasn't sure if
That only applied to players that were cut by their previous team.

Compensatory picks are only awarded for players that signed with another team after becoming unrestricted free agents. Because both Peppers and Guion were cut by their former teams they won´t influence the Packers compensatory picks in 2015.

I can´t find any information about it in the CBA, but I think players signing after June 1 don´t result in any compensatory picks either.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, it doesn´t make any sense to include all targets into the equation as it is pretty obvious a player can´t drop an uncatchable ball.
Obviously PFF is more apt to record an uncatchable ball as a drop because they say he had 9 drops as opposed to 7, so they must have a much more loose definition as to what a drop is. Some counts any ball a receiver gets a finger on as being drop. Others count every ball a receiver is able to get two hands on. The latter makes more sense.

D

Deleted member 6794

Obviously PFF is more apt to record an uncatchable ball as a drop because they say he had 9 drops as opposed to 7, so they must have a much more loose definition as to what a drop is. Some counts any ball a receiver gets a finger on as being drop. Others count every ball a receiver is able to get two hands on. The latter makes more sense.

I don´t know exactly how PFF defines a drop, but including uncatchable balls into the formula to calculate a player´s drop percentage doesn´t make any sense.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Compensatory picks are only awarded for players that signed with another team after becoming unrestricted free agents. Because both Peppers and Guion were cut by their former teams they won´t influence the Packers compensatory picks in 2015.

I can´t find any information about it in the CBA, but I think players signing after June 1 don´t result in any compensatory picks either.
I think this is correct. All considerations for compensatory draft picks are now locked. I think we are looking at receiving two sixth round compensatory picks in the 2015 draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think we are looking at receiving two sixth round compensatory picks in the 2015 draft.

Considering we´ve got a fifth round pick in return for Erik Walden I think it´s possible to get the same pick in return for Jones and Dietrich-Smith, especially if Jones has some production in Oakland.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Considering we´ve got a fifth round pick in return for Erik Walden I think it´s possible to get the same pick in return for Jones and Dietrich-Smith, especially if Jones has some production in Oakland.
Possibly, but the size of both Jones and EDS contracts puts them right in line with 6th round compensation received for the 2014 draft. IMO, they'd have to have pro bowl seasons for us to do better than 6th round.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If Finley plays for a team other than the Packers I can't think of a better spot than the Raiders.

D

Deleted member 6794

Possibly, but the size of both Jones and EDS contracts puts them right in line with 6th round compensation received for the 2014 draft. IMO, they'd have to have pro bowl seasons for us to do better than 6th round.

It´s fairly possible losing both of them will result in sixth round picks as well. With the formula not being known to the public we´ll have to wait until March 2015 though to know for sure.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It´s fairly possible losing both of them will result in sixth round picks as well. With the formula not being known to the public we´ll have to wait until March 2015 though to know for sure.
I think with some leg work, someone could come pretty close to duplicating it based on prior years, but I don't have the time nor inclination to spend that much time researching gains, losses and contract sizes of the free agents signed before June 1.

H

HardRightEdge

I think with some leg work, someone could come pretty close to duplicating it based on prior years, but I don't have the time nor inclination to spend that much time researching gains, losses and contract sizes of the free agents signed before June 1.
Though the NFL has not publicized the "formula", and though it is questionable whether one even exists, they have stated that a FA's performance in that first year with the new team is a key consideration. Nobody can make an educated guess as to compensation until 2014 performance can be evaluated.

D

Deleted member 6794

Though the NFL has not publicized the "formula", and though it is questionable whether one even exists, they have stated that a FA's performance in that first year with the new team is a key consideration. Nobody can make an educated guess as to compensation until 2014 performance can be evaluated.

It seems like team success is considered as well, so you´re right about it being impossible to predict how the 2015 compensatory picks will work out.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It seems like team success is considered as well, so you´re right about it being impossible to predict how the 2015 compensatory picks will work out.
I think it also depends on the number of teams that were net losers in free agency and to what extent those losses were. We do know that there are a maximum of 32 compensatory picks awarded and that a team must be a net loser in terms of free agents lost in order to be elgible for compensation. Therefore contract size slots will fluctuate somewhat from year to year. Jones and EDS contracts were not large compared to many of the FA's signed in the first two weeks following March 11.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Reggie McKenzie knows some of them pretty well from his time with the Packers.
Exactly. Without question it's the McKenzie tie. He knows that these guys have been in a legitimate "program" and are pros that show up to work. Pretty darn smart on his part if you ask me. I hope James has a great season this year as he always struck me as a pro's pro. Can we kick the season off already?!?!?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly. Without question it's the McKenzie tie. He knows that these guys have been in a legitimate "program" and are pros that show up to work. Pretty darn smart on his part if you ask me. I hope James has a great season this year as he always struck me as a pro's pro. Can we kick the season off already?!?!?
Agree, I think we are witnessing the beginning stages of an Oakland rebirth. They will continue to make incremental progress if they have good scouts in place.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree, I think we are witnessing the beginning stages of an Oakland rebirth. They will continue to make incremental progress if they have good scouts in place.

I've been on their bandwagon since last season. They are a qb away from being in the playoffs. Can Schaub get it done?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I've been on their bandwagon since last season. They are a qb away from being in the playoffs. Can Schaub get it done?

Ummm.....no. Their defense was gross. They were 29th in points allowed, they were 24th in scoring. They lost in 2013 to teams like the Titans, Jets, NYG, redskins..... their running game is pathetic.....their kicker was 21 0f 30.......
Matt Schaub is not going to magically turn this team around. He has no chemistry with any WR and the raiders have been in their so-called rebuilding phase since Bo Jackson was playing lol. Not to mention, look who else is in their division......their chances of going to the playoffs are about as good as the Jaguars chances.

Last edited:

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Mark Davis has his way, the Oakland Raiders will no longer be in Oakland after this year. Mark learned the game from his father.

D

Deleted member 6794

Finley will undergo more tests on Wednesday and will send the results to all 32 teams in the league afterwards. He says the Steelers have offered him a deal but the money wasn´t close to what it´s supposed to be.

If Finley really hopes for an offer close to the $10 million tax-free he´s going to get by not playing in the league anymore his playing days are over even if some teams clear him medically.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-free-agent-nfl-test-spinal-surgery/12657737/

Members online

Latest posts