Finley update

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers do resign Finley they should try him at safety. He is Excellent in knocking down passes.

D

Deleted member 6794

Keith Jackson was pretty damn good but so is Finley if we can get him back for 4 m I would. We paying Raji 4 m and he not even close to impact of Finley. Incentives based on being active on game day would have to be included since he is all but guaranteed to start the season on pup. Just look at Sean Richardson last season for blueprint of how packers will treat Finley situation. He would be great to get a healthy Finley back for the stretch run.

The Packers should be way more creative in adding incentives into a possible Finley contract as a roster bonus for being active on game day would automatically count against the cap.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers do resign Finley they should try him at safety. He is Excellent in knocking down passes.
Actually, his career drop percentage is about the same as Driver's was, yet nobody rags on him about it, so it's a false argument. Up to the point he got hurt he was only credited with 1 or 2 drops last year. BTW, do you have any idea how many drops Welker has.. or Calvin Johnson? They both drop more than Finley.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The big Question is will his sister be all right with him resigning with the Pack?

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Paul Coffman was our best TE. IMO. He caught everything. I think Jackie Harris was even better than Finley.
Finley had the most productive season from the TE position ever for the Packers in 2011.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look as you can see I am not a big Finley fan. I think Bostic could be very good this year and not cost us very much. That is the direction I would go.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2011 is yesterday. You think this guy is better than Nelson or Cobb? Than you are in the wrong universe.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2011 is yesterday. You think this guy is better than Nelson or Cobb? Than you are in the wrong universe.
He's better than any other TE on the roster, and that's the relevant question.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look as you can see I am not a big Finley fan. I think Bostic could be very good this year and not cost us very much. That is the direction I would go.
It's a damn good thing you're not running the ship then. Bostic will be lucky to make the roster if Lyerla keeps his nose clean.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finley had the most productive season from the TE position ever for the Packers in 2011.

To be fair, the passing game in general, and especially the role of TE's, is much different in this era than in any past era.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, the passing game in general, and especially the role of TE's, is much different in this era than in any past era.
I don't see that as a reason to discount what he did.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do you have to call me names? I am just stating my opinion.
Because you've been making the same petty insults aimed at Finley for the past 2 pages with nothing substantial to back them up. You didn't even realize it was JENNINGS' sister that had the big mouth, not Finley's.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, his career drop percentage is about the same as Driver's was, yet nobody rags on him about it, so it's a false argument. Up to the point he got hurt he was only credited with 1 or 2 drops last year. BTW, do you have any idea how many drops Welker has.. or Calvin Johnson? They both drop more than Finley.

How many passes are tossed at Welker and Johnson compared to Finley?

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not all drops are equal, missing on a well covered tough catch would still be the same as dropping an open look for no other reason than having stone hands. Finley's drops often seem to fall in the later category, but this does not show up on the stat sheet.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don´t have the time right now to compare Finley with all other TEs or WRs over the last three seasons after he came back from his knee injury, but here´s the comparison to Welker and Calvin Johnson.

Finley has dropped 23 of 164 catchable passes (14.02%) compared to Welker (38 of 351 - 10.83%) and Johnson (31 of 333 - 9.31%).

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm talking about percentages. in 2012, Finley only dropped 7.95% of passes thrown his way. Nelson and Cobb both dropped more than 8%.

Last edited:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t have the time right now to compare Finley with all other TEs or WRs over the last three seasons after he came back from his knee injury, but here´s the comparison to Welker and Calvin Johnson.

Finley has dropped 23 of 164 catchable passes (14.02%) compared to Welker (38 of 351 - 10.83%) and Johnson (31 of 333 - 9.31%).
Most of Finley's drops (12) came in the first season back from his surgery. You're essentially spreading out his 2011 season where it took the first 10 games to get his hands back over 3 seasons and that's not exactly a fair representation. In 2012 he was 8.1% and last year he was 2.9%. Too many people are looking at his 2011 season as the rule and not the exception even though the opposite is shown to be true when you look at the numbers.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm talking about percentages. in 2012, Finley only dropped 7.95% of passes thrown his way. Nelson and Cobb both dropped more than 8%.

According to PFF he dropped 9 out of 70 catchable balls in 2012 for a drop rate of 12.86%. That means he was ranked 99th out of 114 WR/TE with at least 30 catchable balls thrown their way.

You´re right about Cobb and Nelson dropping a lot of passes that season though. Cobb had 11 out of 91 (12.02%) and Nelson 8 out of 57 (14.04%).

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to PFF he dropped 9 out of 70 catchable balls in 2012 for a drop rate of 12.86%. That means he was ranked 99th out of 114 WR/TE with at least 30 catchable balls thrown their way.

According to Sportingcharts.com Finley dropped 7 out of 87 balls thrown his way in 2012. Jimmy Graham had a 10.4% drop the same year.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to Sportingcharts.com Finley dropped 7 out of 87 balls thrown his way in 2012. Jimmy Graham had a 10.4% drop the same year.

Well, it doesn´t make any sense to include all targets into the equation as it is pretty obvious a player can´t drop an uncatchable ball. Finley had 61 receptions in 2012, so even if you "credit" him with only 7 drops his rate would be at 10.3%.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts