Finley update

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't like signing Finley to a long term deal. A 1 year deal that doesn't affect Cobb or Nelson next year would be great while the younger TE's can develop. If it is done right we can keep all of them. There is plenty of cap space as it sits right now.
If another team's doctor clears him, why would Finley accept a one-year deal?

Assume the Packers have a projected $10M- $13M in cap space (once all those on the 53 man roster plus count): If Finley does accept a one-year deal for $7M (as he did in the past), that would certainly affect the amount of money available to extend Nelson and/or Cobb. If Finley would agree to something like a $1M, one-year contract with incentives I'd be all for it. But IMO that is unlikely in the extreme.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
If another team's doctor clears him, why would Finley accept a one-year deal?

Assume the Packers have a projected $10M- $13M in cap space (once all those on the 53 man roster plus count): If Finley does accept a one-year deal for $7M (as he did in the past), that would certainly affect the amount of money available to extend Nelson and/or Cobb. If Finley would agree to something like a $1M, one-year contract with incentives I'd be all for it. But IMO that is unlikely in the extreme.

I would say very unlikely as well. I suppose it really comes down to the dynamics of this insurance policy and what other teams are willing to pay. If he was guaranteed 10 mill I don't understand why he would try so hard to come back unless he really wants to play. It appears he has gone above and beyond the required effort to come back if there is one.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the difficulties in signing Finley will go a little deeper then "medical clearance". There is also the 10 mill or so insurance policy that he would be giving up. IMO it will be tough for TT to offer a contract with that much money guaranteed coming off an injury as significant as Finley's.

Thompson would be crazy to offer a contract anywhere in the neighboorhood of $10 million. The only way to bring Finley back (if Dr. McKenzie ever clears him) is to offer him an incentive laden contract.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't like signing Finley to a long term deal. A 1 year deal that doesn't affect Cobb or Nelson next year would be great while the younger TE's can develop. If it is done right we can keep all of them. There is plenty of cap space as it sits right now.

Signing Finley to a one-year contract affects the possibility of re-signing Cobb and Nelson as unused cap space can be carried over into next season.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers could structure an incentive laden contract for Finley in a way that only the base salary would count against the cap. IMO that should be the only way Jermichael should be brought back if he´s cleared by Dr. McKenzie.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The Packers could structure an incentive laden contract for Finley in a way that only the base salary would count against the cap. IMO that should be the only way Jermichael should be brought back if he´s cleared by Dr. McKenzie.
Would that be by including "unlikely to be earned" bonuses ala the situation before the most recent CBA? (Tangent: I’m not sure if what IMO is that nonsense carried over to the new CBA. Nonsense IMO because likely vs. unlikely to be earned is too nebulous – I think all of them should be treated the same.)

If another team expresses serious interest I think this is all moot. If the Giants, Pats, or Seahawks - or another team not yet rumored to be interested – is interested I think Finley gets a mutli-year offer with a significant signing bonus. If another team isn't seriously interested and the Packers are, then they can low-ball him on a base salary deal and make him "prove it" for the third consecutive season. I found a link to Jersey Al's from packernet.com and found this comment on Finley to be interesting: "He’s now had a major knee injury and a major neck injury, plus a concussion. The Packers usually part ways with a player after those types of injuries and they are usually right in doing so."

D

Deleted member 6794

Would that be by including "unlikely to be earned" bonuses ala the situation before the most recent CBA? (Tangent: I’m not sure if what IMO is that nonsense carried over to the new CBA. Nonsense IMO because likely vs. unlikely to be earned is too nebulous – I think all of them should be treated the same.)

Yeah, it´s possible to include "unlikely to be earned" incentives into a contract which wouldn´t count against the cap. Not sure what the league would deem as such incentives with a player who missed most of last season. I agree that all incentives should be treated the same way though.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, he's a grown man and grown men make incredibly good and incredibly bad decisions every day - and the whole range of decisions in between. No it's not unless you are advocating signing him at any cost. As I posted above, what if the decision to sign him also involves the futures of Nelson and Cobb in Green Bay. If you have the choice of one or two of the three of Nelson, Cobb, and Finley, which one or two would you choose? For me, Finley is #3 on that list.
I didn't say any cost. Most likely any contract he receives from any team will be a one year deal anyway, so Nelson and Cobb wouldn't come into play this year anyway.

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't say any cost. Most likely any contract he receives from any team will be a one year deal anyway, so Nelson and Cobb wouldn't come into play this year anyway.

Once again, it still affects Nelson´s and Cobb´s situation because the Packers wouldn´t be able to carry as much cap space over into the 2015 season if the sign Finley for 2014.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, it still affects Nelson´s and Cobb´s situation because the Packers wouldn´t be able to carry as much cap space over into the 2015 season if the sign Finley for 2014.
And again, I didn't say any cost. Offer him a one year $4M deal and if someone else wants to offer him more, let him go.

D

Deleted member 6794

And again, I didn't say any cost. Offer him a one year $4M deal and if someone else wants to offer him more, let him go.

No way I want the Packers to guarantee him $4 million.

If Thompson signs him to a contract like that it means the team would have approximately $3.6 million less cap space in 2015 to re-sign Nelson and Cobb.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way I want the Packers to guarantee him $4 million.

If Thompson signs him to a contract like that it means the team would have approximately $3.6 million less cap space in 2015 to re-sign Nelson and Cobb.
Relax. Signing Finley would not derail the train.

D

Deleted member 6794

Relax. Signing Finley would not derail the train.

It won´t derail the train, but re-signing Finley to the kind of deal you suggested now could result in not being able to keep both Nelson and Cobb in 2015. I have to agree with TJV that I would prefer to hold on to both of them than to bring Jermichael back, who won´t be the same player as before his injury.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It won´t derail the train, but re-signing Finley to the kind of deal you suggested now could result in not being able to keep both Nelson and Cobb in 2015.

How? Once the 2014 season is over, his contract would be over.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Finley is cleared he will want big money. I just don't see the value with this guy. He always seemed to have some sort of injury issue before the neck injury he shoots off his mouth and he knocks down too many of Rodgers throws. He is a butterfinger. I would move on if I were the Pack. I would rather keep both Cobb and Nelson than to roll the dice on this guy.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Teams are allowed to carry over unused cap space into the next season, a fact I´ve mentioned twice within the last hour.

I think your going a little over board here on cap issue and re-structuring Cobb and Nelson and including Finley for a year. Right now they have an estimated 10 mill after rookies are signed. There will also be about 6-8 mill bump next year added to cap, maybe more. Plus you have to look at Peppers deal as basically a 1 year deal and who knows if Raji is re-signed. This will most likely be Williams last year as well. You also have Brad Jones and Hawk's contracts that might not get paid next year. If Burnett doesn't improve you can add him to the list.

I don't think signing Finley to a incentive laden one year deal puts the team jumping off the financial cliff.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Finley is cleared he will want big money. I just don't see the value with this guy. He always seemed to have some sort of injury issue before the neck injury he shoots off his mouth and he knocks down too many of Rodgers throws. He is a butterfinger. I would move on if I were the Pack. I would rather keep both Cobb and Nelson than to roll the dice on this guy.
He set the franchise record for passes caught by a TE in a season two years ago. Can we stop the butterfingers stuff? It isn't really true.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think your going a little over board here on cap issue and re-structuring Cobb and Nelson and including Finley for a year. Right now they have an estimated 10 mill after rookies are signed. There will also be about 6-8 mill bump next year added to cap, maybe more.

I don't think signing Finley to a incentive laden one year deal puts the team jumping off the financial cliff.

The team will approximately be $11.7 million under the cap (top 51 contracts) once all the rookies are signed. Some of the available cap space will have to be used on #52 and #53 on the roster as well as practice squad players and on replacement for guys being put on the PUP list and IR. Last year that amount was close to $5 million if I recall correctly.

I´ve never said anything against signing Finley to an incentive laden contract which doesn´t result in a major cap hit, guaranteeing him $4 million for 2014 though would have some impact on the Packers cap situation in 2015.

Last edited by a moderator:

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Paul Coffman was our best TE. IMO. He caught everything. I think Jackie Harris was even better than Finley.

D

Deleted member 6794

IPlus you have to look at Peppers deal as basically a 1 year deal and who knows if Raji is re-signed. This will most likely be Williams last year as well. You also have Brad Jones and Hawk's contracts that might not get paid next year. If Burnett doesn't improve you can add him to the list.

It´s possible the Packers could get rid of all of them, but that would result in $12.55 million of dead money counting against the cap, not a great way to manage the cap.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The team will approximately be $11.7 million under the cap (top 51 contracts) once all the rookies are signed. Some of the available cap space will have to be used on #52 and #53 on the roster as well as practice squad players and on replacement for guys being put on the PUP list and IR. Last year that amount was close to $5 million if I recall correctly.

I´ve never said anything against signing Finley to an incentive laden contract which doesn´t result in a major cap hit, guaranteeing him $4 million for 2014 though would have some impact on the Packers cap situation in 2015.

Right. I don't think any team is going to give Finley a big multi-year guaranteed money deal after such a significant injury. He wants big money but after another week or two the reality might set in for him That Green Bay is the best place for him to have success on a 1 year prove it type deal.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keith Jackson was pretty damn good but so is Finley if we can get him back for 4 m I would. We paying Raji 4 m and he not even close to impact of Finley. Incentives based on being active on game day would have to be included since he is all but guaranteed to start the season on pup. Just look at Sean Richardson last season for blueprint of how packers will treat Finley situation. He would be great to get a healthy Finley back for the stretch run.

Members online

Latest posts