Finley should stay...and Packers should pay him his money!

H

HardRightEdge

LMAO.....Bill.....another finley thread?? This is awesome.

There was somethin under the NFC North blog section on espn.go that said something like: If he gets asked to restuctur his deal to save cap space, then he will "walk" from GB.

And despite 273 Finley threads and 175,238 posts, press reports are being misquoted.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ivo, lemme just say this, you are the first person I've seen that thinks our offense is better without Finley.

Everyone else, all the national pundits, the local media guys, and other fans, think that he's a tremenduous weapon and makes our offense better. He was voted in the top 10 TEs by ESPN.com, He was listed as a top 10 Ted Thompson draft pick by Wilde, Rodgers himself said he has the best hands in the team and is the best weapon...

I think you're the only one that wants to trade him, and certainly the only one that thinks the offense is better without him...

Im pretty proud of this actually. From 2011.

This isn't really even a matter of speculation. When Finley was out long term with his injury year before last I think it was, the offense indeed did get better.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ivo, lemme just say this, you are the first person I've seen that thinks our offense is better without Finley.

Everyone else, all the national pundits, the local media guys, and other fans, think that he's a tremenduous weapon and makes our offense better. He was voted in the top 10 TEs by ESPN.com, He was listed as a top 10 Ted Thompson draft pick by Wilde, Rodgers himself said he has the best hands in the team and is the best weapon...

I think you're the only one that wants to trade him, and certainly the only one that thinks the offense is better without him...

This isn't really even a matter of speculation. When Finley was out long term with his injury year before last I think it was, the offense indeed did get better.

Yeah and I got hammered for saying it. People were in an uproar when I suggested trading him after the 2010 season.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah and I got hammered for saying it. People were in an uproar when I suggested trading him after the 2010 season.

Not me. You and I have been in agreement re: Finley for quite a while now. He might have started to look good at the end of last season, but his mouth and his inconsistency won't leave me feeling bad if we lose him, especially if he's not open to restructuring his deal.

Vader666

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One should not enter the PACKER forums and spout bulls*&t. Do not dis the people who are ACTUAL fans. *******.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

One should not enter the PACKER forums and spout bulls*&t. Do not dis the people who are ACTUAL fans. *******.
was that aimed at me ??? I was joking with the guy, and I`M a Packer fan too

H

HardRightEdge

Oh wow, ya got me there......BURN.....
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/53622/dreaming-jermichael-finley-and-the-bears

wow, that was soooo far off in left field huh?

It helps to read all of the quotes, complete with their self-contradictions:

"I'd have to walk for sure, meaning I couldn't take a pay cut. Maybe I'd restructure if it's a deal that I like and it makes sense, but I'm not the guy that's just going to sign anything and let anything pass. I’m not that guy. Other than that, taking a pay cut or restructuring doesn't sound good to me at this time. I like my deal. I start training in Minneapolis tomorrow and I’m more inspired than ever to start next season off right and be the tight end I know I can be. It’s all business at the end of the day. I just love what I do."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/53583/jermichael-finley-i-couldnt-take-a-pay-cut

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FinlJe00.htm

From 2008 - 2012 season (exeption 2010 for injuries) he is not that productive of a TE to even be considered to be "elite" in some fans eyes. To me and what's on paper, he is just average. There is no way I pay an average guy 8+ million. He is cap space to me, drop him like a rock. His pay and his mouth and his performance and his loud mouth agent are not worth the troubles.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I understand the acrimony aimed at Finley by Packers fans and I understand fans who don’t think Finley is worth the $8M+ he’s due this year under his current deal. What I don’t understand is fans who think he should accept less from the Packers for this coming season. If the Packers don’t think he’s worth the $8M+ they’ll release him before his $3M bonus is due on the 27th and he can get fair market value for his services. That’s the deal the Packers struck with Finley: Either pay him the $8M+ or he becomes a UFA.

From Finley’s point of view, if the Packers pay him the bonus he’ll get the $8M+ but risk a career ending injury. And the Packers could tag him next year, preventing him from getting a long-term deal. Or the Packers waive him and he can get the long-term security he’s after. And IMO it’s a sure bet he’d get more than the $8M in guaranteed money. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not feeling sorry for Finley if the Packers “make him” accept $8M+ for the coming season with no long-term security, just presenting it from his point of view.

Before the 27th, the Packers can negotiate a long-term deal with Finley and lessen his cap number this year. But if they do they’ll have to pay him about market value.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand the acrimony aimed at Finley by Packers fans and I understand fans who don’t think Finley is worth the $8M+ he’s due this year under his current deal. What I don’t understand is fans who think he should accept less from the Packers for this coming season. If the Packers don’t think he’s worth the $8M+ they’ll release him before his $3M bonus is due on the 27th and he can get fair market value for his services. That’s the deal the Packers struck with Finley: Either pay him the $8M+ or he becomes a UFA.

From Finley’s point of view, if the Packers pay him the bonus he’ll get the $8M+ but risk a career ending injury. And the Packers could tag him next year, preventing him from getting a long-term deal. Or the Packers waive him and he can get the long-term security he’s after. And IMO it’s a sure bet he’d get more than the $8M in guaranteed money. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not feeling sorry for Finley if the Packers “make him” accept $8M+ for the coming season with no long-term security, just presenting it from his point of view.

Before the 27th, the Packers can negotiate a long-term deal with Finley and lessen his cap number this year. But if they do they’ll have to pay him about market value.

Whats fair market value for him though?

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whats fair market value for him though?

Exactly. This is the situation discussed in the thread about QB contracts - the high amount in the last year or so not likely to get paid. That's true when the guy is either old and fading or young but disappointing - like Finley.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. This is the situation discussed in the thread about QB contracts - the high amount in the last year or so not likely to get paid. That's true when the guy is either old and fading or young but disappointing - like Finley.

He should be making at most $4 mil a year.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
He should be making at most $4 mil a year.
If you were a GM of an NFL team and Finley were a UFA that would be your assessment of his value but that alone doesn’t set market value. Fortunately or unfortunately depending upon your point of view, in the NFL a player’s market value (“fair” or not) is set by the team willing to pay him the most money. The deal the Packers struck with him was to pay him under his current deal or let him find that highest bidder.

If Ted Thompson shares your opinion of Finley’s value he should waive him before the 27th and let him test the market. If you’re right the Packers would perhaps be in the bidding for his services and sign him to a reasonable deal. (That’s what happened with Jones except he was a UFA to begin with.) But Finley is young, presents matchup problems for Ds, and is full of potential. In the NFL I believe that gets him more than $4M/year from at least one GM. Again, I’ve seen Finley’s immaturity play out on the field and off it. He hasn’t been consistent and I’ve seen the Packers win a title without him. I think the Packers could survive on offense without Finley and Jennings but I don’t think Mike McCarthy shares that opinion. We’ll soon find out how the Packers value Finley.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you were a GM of an NFL team and Finley were a UFA that would be your assessment of his value but that alone doesn’t set market value. Fortunately or unfortunately depending upon your point of view, in the NFL a player’s market value (“fair” or not) is set by the team willing to pay him the most money. The deal the Packers struck with him was to pay him under his current deal or let him find that highest bidder.

If Ted Thompson shares your opinion of Finley’s value he should waive him before the 27th and let him test the market. If you’re right the Packers would perhaps be in the bidding for his services and sign him to a reasonable deal. (That’s what happened with Jones except he was a UFA to begin with.) But Finley is young, presents matchup problems for Ds, and is full of potential. In the NFL I believe that gets him more than $4M/year from at least one GM. Again, I’ve seen Finley’s immaturity play out on the field and off it. He hasn’t been consistent and I’ve seen the Packers win a title without him. I think the Packers could survive on offense without Finley and Jennings but I don’t think Mike McCarthy shares that opinion. We’ll soon find out how the Packers value Finley.
I can understand paying what amounts to double for a 1 yr contract. But when gronk gets a long term deal recently and gets 6.5 mil on avg over the life of the contract I look at Finleys $8 contract and cringe.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finley grades out to 41st in the pass and 47th overall among TEs. Yikes. He just isn't that good.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
for him to say he is going to "walk" if asked to restucture, then to turn around and make a **** poor effort to cover his *** and say "maybe" I will restructure if its something I like. To me he is a self centered ***clown who wont do what it takes for the good of the team and to remain on a winning team. His lack luster performances and bloated attitude needs to "walk" out that door. There are plenty of options besides him, to include drafting a replacement. There have been very few packers I have disliked, he is #1 on my list. Grade A+ D-bag.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Finley grades out to 41st in the pass and 47th overall among TEs. Yikes. He just isn't that good.

Yeah, I'm glad you found those numbers. I have been taking a dump on finley all of last season and getting flammed for doing so. He is not that damn good, average at best is what I have said. Why cant people see that? We will end up paying good cap space to a sugar frosted turd.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm glad you found those numbers. I have been taking a dump on finley all of last season and getting flammed for doing so. He is not that damn good, average at best is what I have said. Why cant people see that? We will end up paying good cap space to a sugar frosted turd.

All you hear about is potential. But at what point is it not unused potential and do people realize he just is what you see. Then the argument comes out that he is double covered. Yet other TEs still produce... Finley? Not so much.

I'm going to laugh when some idiot GM pays him crazy money.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
We would not be in some sort of desperate survival mode without him, we did just fine in 2010. It is beyond me how some people label him as "elite" when he does not produce in an elite way. Off the top of my head I can see way more elite TE's than him:
Gronkowski
Hernandez
Graham
Whitten
Olson,Greg
Rudolph
Gonzalez
Davis, Vernon
Miller, Heath
Danials, Owen
Gates
Celek, brent
Clarke, dallas

I would take any one of these guys HANDS DOWN over finley. Finley is a 3rd teir TE, plain and simple.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
All you hear about is potential. But at what point is it not unused potential and do people realize he just is what you see. Then the argument comes out that he is double covered. Yet other TEs still produce... Finley? Not so much.

I'm going to laugh when some idiot GM pays him crazy money.

Yeah, no doubt. How about that Dallas game last year when Whitten caught 18 passes in one game? WOW!!! They had him covered like a blanket, yet he found a way to continually catch and make production. Now that is ELITE.