Finley finally ready to dominate again?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
MM is aware of Fins issues and is trying to fix it

I didnt post entire article, just key points...Go read it to get full affect

http://espnwisconsin.com/corp/page/11/02/12_Finley_looks_to_regain_'beast_mode'/4401?feed=2

Finley arrived at coach Mike McCarthy’s door, the boss was waiting for him.

“I walked in, and he said, ‘Sit down right here.’ You know how he talks,” Finley said. “He said, ‘Look at this.’”

McCarthy pushed play on his remote, and a video began.

FINLEY … THE BEAST the opening credit read, followed all six Aaron Rodgers passes that Finley caught in the Packers’ loss to the Arizona Cardinals in the 2009 NFC Wild Card Playoffs – a game in which Finley set a Packers franchise postseason record with 159 receiving yards in a 51-45 overtime defeat.

“The playoff game of ’09 against Arizona, I was attacking the ball, not letting the ball get to my body,” Finley said. “I thought it was pretty sweet that he called me up (to his office to watch that). But it was also, ‘(Expletive), what happened? Where did it go?’ I’m the same person. I just don’t know where it went, man.”

And that’s one of the things McCarthy’s video illustrated to Finley: That he’d become more of a body-catcher and stopped plucking the ball out of the air with his hands, as the best pass-catchers do.

“You go out and drop a couple when you know you can catch the ball, I mean, the next play you’re going to switch your hands up a couple times,” Finley admitted. “It’s a confidence thing, but I’ve got to get it back, get that swagger going again.”

In an effort to do that, Finley met with Rodgers last Saturday night for roughly 45 minutes at the team hotel before bed check, and vowed to do so not only this Saturday night but the night before every game the rest of the year.

While it’s incumbent on Finley to take what Rodgers says and put it to use in the game, the fact that the two are getting together regularly can’t hurt.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lord I hope so. Finley is certainly very talented and his beastlyness has been missed. Hopefully a little sit down with MM will help.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly after YOTO and everything else it's just talk. I'll believe it when I see it.

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
He has all the talent and is such a match up problem for other teams... but his drops have tarnished him... good to see him making an effort to get on the same page with Rodgers and im glad MM did what he did... showing him that he is a a beast and he need to get back to it!!!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was so thrilled when we drafted him; I watched him at Texas and knew what he could do. I'm still waiting. I'm still pulling for him, but unfortunately he's conditioned me to not expect any production or consistency out of him.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it. Hopefully he's not just blowin' hot air

cheeseheadom1252

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now is a better time than ever for Finley to step up I guess. I'd rather not see another ugly win without Jennings and Nelson.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I’m a lifelong Packers fan so of course I’m rooting for Finley to mature and have his performances in games more closely approach his potential. With Nelson and Jennings sidelined Finley has had – and has tomorrow – a great opportunity to step forward and help the team. To be fair to Finley he has been playing hurt – he injured his shoulder against the Colts and continued to play – and Rodgers has said Finley is still being double-teamed a lot. In fact listen to what Rodgers says about Finley on his weekly show with Wilde for confirmation of that.

I just got around to reading the linked article and the most important phrase IMO is, “the Green Bay Packers tight end recalled Friday, relating the story about a month after the fact.” Finley meeting with Rodgers before each game is a good idea – at least it can’t hurt. But it doesn’t look to me like Finley has had an epiphany either on the field or off during the last month or so. Maybe it is the injury and the attention he draws from defenses. But Finley has matched up well against Arizona – the playoff game highlights McCarthy showed him were against the Cards – and he says he is 100% healthy so we’re getting down to ‘it’s now or never’ for Jermichael.

I’d be happy to put up with Finley’s weekly ‘foot in mouth’ comment if he actually had something to brag about. I’d still prefer him to shut up but if he were playing at a near pro-bowl level it would be easy for me to ignore his comments. But a braggart who doesn’t produce is just a pain in the *** and his all-too-often off the field gaffes just remind us of the contrast between what he says and what he does on the field. As ivo610 reminds us we’ve heard a version of this before. When I first read this thread the saying, “fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me” came to mind. Jermichael won’t turn 26-years old until next March. It’s time for him to grow up and put his performance where his mouth is.

Here’s hoping he has a huge game tomorrow. In a perfect world he’d have that game and afterwards say something like, ‘I’m not going to get too excited about my production until I put several games like this back-to-back-to-back’. But I’ll take the huge game and put up with him running his mouth…

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
How many chances does this guy have to get before you people see him for what he is?

It's not necessary to "see him for what he is" to recognize that if he gets his sh*t together (mentally) he is a BIG asset to the Packers. I'm rooting for him to once again become an asset to the Packers. Simple as that, nothing more, nothing less ... and if he doesn't once again become an asset to the Packers, meaning the remainder of this season, then I'll be willing to have Ted Thompson make the call as to his future. I'm not sure that I speak for all of the "you people" here in the forum, but I'm pretty sure that any and all fans of the Packers want to see him get his head out of his keester - and help the Pack win a Super Bowl.

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or this could be MM's "last straw". Encourage him, talk to him. But if things do not shape up, trade him.

Finley was pretty tough to stop that season, I will admit. And he seemed to have hands of glue. Still, he seems like the type you don't want to rely on when everything is on the line - Mental toughness matters a lot in those times.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me this sounds like make-or-break for Finley. Either he lives up to expectations or, ff he doesn't perform well starting from today, he's gone. And that's the way it should be.