Finley: Double team Nelson

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was true again Wednesday, when Finley expressed his frustration with all the double-team coverages he's faced this season.

"Me and my wife just sit down and vent every day," Finley said. "I'm like, 'Why are they double-teaming me? Double [Jordy Nelson]! Double-team him.' So it still gets to me."

This hasn't been the breakout season Finley hoped for after signing a two-year, $15 million contract with Green Bay in the offseason. In seven games, he has 26 catches for 241 yards with one touchdown. His six dropped passes on 32 catchable balls once again has him at the wrong end of the drop rate category, topping the list among NFL tight ends, just as he did last season.

But with Finley's 6-foot-5 frame and elite athleticism, he still presents enough of a threat that opposing defenses have continued giving him extra attention.

"It chaps me right after the game, but then I go home, watch the game film, the [TV] copy, I see I got triple-teamed, two or three guys on me, so that simmers me down a little," Finley said.

Finley has played the past two games despite dislocating the AC joint in his right shoulder. Coach Mike McCarthy complimented him last week for playing through the pain, though it has limited Finley's snaps significantly. In the two games since the injury, Finley has a total of four catches for 43 yards and wants to contribute more.

"I need to touch the rock," Finley said. "If you don't touch it, it'll leave you."

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me see if I got this. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
So a guy who hardly ever catches the ball (JF) when wide open wants another player who catches the ball (JN) when wide open to have more defensive players covering him so that he won't get the ball thrown to him?
Way to be a team player JF and asking for what you think is best for the team which is really the worst.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
From the other thread with the article within it..So I don't have to retype my thoughts again.. yep, lazy route.

Since we, as PackerNation, seem to only want to pound on Finley. Recent Rodgers comments.

http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/1...nding_packers.html?blockID=809557&feedID=5069

Additionally the writer choose a headline grabbing piece as Finley wishes double teams on teammates.. when in reality it is just him talking about the frustrations of being the center of the defenses attention because of his size/speed ratio.

I really think half this nonsense is born upon the writers pen.

I think he is trying to say that dependent upon the coverage and defensive scheme, the position and routes vary in whom is open and has the favorable match up.

It is in reference to the chess game played by the offense verses the defense.. not that Arod chooses whom to favor a given weekend. That would be forcing it, ala Favre, something Rodgers does very little of. It is all about the route trees verses the coverage employed.

This chemistry issue, to me is really a matter of Finley trying to say the timing was off.. I think overall he was right. Look early in the season, that was a global theme with the collection of receivers, I think most of that really was on the replacement officials and their allowance of more contact down field. We don't run a ton of stick type routes, we are more option based on the defenders positioning and scheme. So with contact that hampered the timing of the routes and made it appear that Rodgers was off his game. Reality in my mind is that as soon as the offenses got back to the NFL rules and made the adjustment back, the passing games around the league took off again.

Where Finley was in error, in my mind, is that he assumed it was just him and Rodgers.. when in reality it was a global issue with all receivers in option route based offenses.. offenses with more traditional stick routes were less affected as there were less reads and thus variables in the plays.

My opinion of Finley is this simply, he is a blow hard that wants to be "the man". He has trouble accepting that he is just one part of the equation instead of the centerpiece of that equation. In other words, his ego is in the way, couple that will immaturity and you have what we have.

That doesn't mean he doesn't have value to the Packers, and by all appearances, the Packers (including players) understand what he is.. a blow hard.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me see if I got this. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
So a guy who hardly ever catches the ball (JF) when wide open wants another player who catches the ball (JN) when wide open to have more defensive players covering him so that he won't get the ball thrown to him?
Way to be a team player JF and asking for what you think is best for the team which is really the worst.
Finley is becoming a diva. Don't need it or him. I agree w/ur statement. Way to be a team player JF

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else caught this (Ha!) but during the Rams game, one of the commentators said that Mike had the offense built around Finley in 2009 and that Mike won't be making that same mistake again.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Oy .... you know ... they used to wire obese people's mouths shut to keep them from overeating back in the day?

This kid needs to stop allowing his soup-for-brains to take over every time a reporter comes near his locker.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually I'm glad to see a player speak his mind, no matter how opinionated or wrong. Usually we just hear, gotta check the tape, clean it up, get back to fundamentals, keep pad level, etc; your basic cliches. I think he is the designated uncouth mouth and the team accepts it as that. Sort of like letting your 4 year old tell aunt Louise she has gotten fat instead of you finding a polite way to say it.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I still am happy that he is on the team. He remains a dangerous threat.

But, he is obviously an arrogant fool. Too bad.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
If Finley considers himself a "playmaker" then regardless of how much he's being covered, he should be able to find ways to get open and make plays, but he doesn't. So he needs to just shut the **** up.

I'm to the point now, where I don't care if he gets cut and I don't care if we have to replace him with someone like Crabtree

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do they double team a wide out who probably won't even play?
JF, if you can catch a ball it will probably come your way this week. The pickins is slim.
Unless you want to see old man Driver be the star of the game.
What's obvious with ARod is that he looks for who's hot and who is most likely to get open.
When Favre was there he always looked for Driver on 3rd down first because he was pretty much the one he trusted the most. After that it was Bubba Franks.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
First let me say I'm a big fan of Finleys. But this kind of stuff has got to stop. They are double teaming him because he is still one of the best TE's in the league. Even though he has had some issues with dropped passes lately other teams still consider him to be a threat, warranting double coverage. Maybe Finley should view it from another perspective and view it as a compliment. But, running his mouth is only going to exasperate the problem. If teams are aware it's getting to him they are going to start to do it more than they already do. I personally think he should focus more on catching balls he has the capability to catch it even in double coverage.

Reaction score
(Looks back on the Quarless as the no.1 TE days)....

Nah, I can tolerate Finley's stupid mouth.... Dude opens things up for Jordy and the Outside Targets.
1 on 1 chances for our dudes leads to a more explosive offense. If They don't double team Finley, then Rodgers will chuck it up to him... whether he winds up with 3 drops or 3 TDs - idk, but the matchups are worth having to listen to him.

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else caught this (Ha!) but during the Rams game, one of the commentators said that Mike had the offense built around Finley in 2009 and that Mike won't be making that same mistake again.
The offense actually did good when it was built around Finley. Big chunk plays came out of it. the curse was in 2010 (ironic since we won the Super Bowl) when Finley was injured. We had to change our offense back away from the "finley oriented offense".

Anyways, this is why we can't lose Finley: LET HIM TALK! who cares what he says?

Just have him be a decoy for Nelson and the rest of our real threats can get better opportunities. From now on, we should yell at Rodgers for throwing the ball at Finley and not Finley when he drops the ball :)

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does Finley not have a single friend on the team that can tell him to stop talking? He needs a new agent and he needs a new agent now. A good agent would have told him to pipe it down as well. All he is doing is giving fans a reason to not like him. Stop talking.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I'm glad to see a player speak his mind, no matter how opinionated or wrong. Usually we just hear, gotta check the tape, clean it up, get back to fundamentals, keep pad level, etc; your basic cliches. I think he is the designated uncouth mouth and the team accepts it as that. Sort of like letting your 4 year old tell aunt Louise she has gotten fat instead of you finding a polite way to say it.
I like that.... tell her she's gotten fat BECAUSE SHE EATS TOO MUCH and not because of genetics. Or because of a bad thyroid.

But Finley does stand out..... he just doesn't seem to "fit in" with the Jones, Jennings, Drivers, Cobbs, Jordys, Rodgers, Koons, etc. He's misfit for this team.
They were, I think, hoping Quarless or DJ would rise up and make J-Mike expendable.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
This was true again Wednesday, when Finley expressed his frustration with all the double-team coverages he's faced this season.

"Me and my wife just sit down and vent every day," Finley said. "I'm like, 'Why are they double-teaming me? Double [Jordy Nelson]! Double-team him.' So it still gets to me."

This hasn't been the breakout season Finley hoped for after signing a two-year, $15 million contract with Green Bay in the offseason. In seven games, he has 26 catches for 241 yards with one touchdown. His six dropped passes on 32 catchable balls once again has him at the wrong end of the drop rate category, topping the list among NFL tight ends, just as he did last season.

But with Finley's 6-foot-5 frame and elite athleticism, he still presents enough of a threat that opposing defenses have continued giving him extra attention.

"It chaps me right after the game, but then I go home, watch the game film, the [TV] copy, I see I got triple-teamed, two or three guys on me, so that simmers me down a little," Finley said.

Finley has played the past two games despite dislocating the AC joint in his right shoulder. Coach Mike McCarthy complimented him last week for playing through the pain, though it has limited Finley's snaps significantly. In the two games since the injury, Finley has a total of four catches for 43 yards and wants to contribute more.

"I need to touch the rock," Finley said. "If you don't touch it, it'll leave you."[/
I like that.... tell her she's gotten fat BECAUSE SHE EATS TOO MUCH and not because of genetics. Or because of a bad thyroid.

But Finley does stand out..... he just doesn't seem to "fit in" with the Jones, Jennings, Drivers, Cobbs, Jordys, Rodgers, Koons, etc. He's misfit for this team.
They were, I think, hoping Quarless or DJ would rise up and make J-Mike expendable.
Finley should be happy teams give hime that much respect,I don't/Finley going deep for a bomb means we need more touches for Cobb.....

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I caught it as well. U gotta be careful when doin stuff like that

Members online

Latest posts