Finley: a Packer for life?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point he is just saying the right things. Lets see if he comes to camp when they tag him, if they dont get a deal done.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
“Just saying the right things” is a step in the right direction for him. Isn’t it funny an athlete has to say he’d be OK with making a guaranteed $7M plus for one season? “Funny” in a strange way of course because incredibly, some players would indeed be pissed.

McCarthy and Rodgers say they love him and I believe them. McCarthy says the Finley they interact with on the team is not the “twitter Finley”. Finley has immense physical talent and in addition to creating matchup nightmares and drawing double coverage, he’s delivered some knockdowns on chip blocks this season. If he is truly maturing so he doesn’t even occasionally **** off Rodgers with mental mistakes, I’d love to see him extended this season. Or franchised next while they work out an extension.

Keep Finley together with Jennings, Nelson, Jones and Cobb for the next few years with number 12 throwing the ball to ‘em!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we win this year, he'll stay. He'll get a taste of being on a SB-winning team and he won't want to leave. And unlike Cullen Jenkins, he'll be worth his price.

If we could trade away his mouth.... I wouldn't mind that :)

Winning has nothing to do with it. Its always about the money.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think the organization realizes just how much he helps our offense. You leave Finley in single coverage, safety or linebacker on him, he will make you pay every time. You focus your defense on him, every other receiver makes a play.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
At this point he is just saying the right things. Lets see if he comes to camp when they tag him, if they dont get a deal done.

Maybe he knows they are thinking of tagging him and wanted to let them know I wont cause a distraction?

since he did it in the media, how trust worthy is his statement?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winning has nothing to do with it. Its always about the money.

Some will say Reggie White himself came to GB in pursuit of a SB. Sure there was $$, but deep down, I think he must of wanted the SB ring more. Shame it took him so long to realize there was no hope in one with the Eagles.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As others have said...Sometimes not everyone looks at the money...

But JMike is really "talking" a good game in the media
I can't say that he's gonna hold his promise or he's about winning.

What I do know is that TT has set a precedent for re-signing players. The players that don't complain, that aren't a nuisance, those guys are taken care of, specially if they're young, but it did happen with Clifton, who got a big deal last season.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some will say Reggie White himself came to GB in pursuit of a SB. Sure there was $$, but deep down, I think he must of wanted the SB ring more. Shame it took him so long to realize there was no hope in one with the Eagles.

The Packers offered Reggie more $ than any other team. Thats why he came to GB. The stories are nice, but the truth is it was always about the $. But dont fault someone for trying to take care of their family for a long time.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are tons of players that take pay cuts to stay on a winning team. However with Finley, I fear that you are 100% correct.

I cant think of a single NFL player who took a pay cut to stay on a team.

The only player in sports I can think of that I know for 100% it wasnt about the money was Derek Fisher (NBA) when he left $ on the table to go back to LA so his daughter could get the best medical care for her condition.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan Grant and AJ Hawk both have in the past year. That's just on the Packers team. There are plenty. Reggie Bush also wanted to stay with the Saints so badly that he was open to a pay cut.

Not true for any of them.

1.Ryan Grant would have been unemployed and made less if he didnt.

2. AJ Hawk? He just signed a new contract that most felt was over what he deserved.

3. Reggie Bush wanted to take a pay cut so he wouldnt be cut. It had nothing to do with the team itself.

Again I cant think of a single NFL player that has left a large amount of money on the table to stay with a team he loves.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He can't be the greatest TE there ever was being on this team. That's all I have to say...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I cant think of a single NFL player who took a pay cut to stay on a team.

The only player in sports I can think of that I know for 100% it wasnt about the money was Derek Fisher (NBA) when he left $ on the table to go back to LA so his daughter could get the best medical care for her condition.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7148257/minnesota-vikings-cut-bernard-berrian-latest-benching

He took a pay cut to stay this year, down from $3.9 million

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/rt_ryan_diem_takes_a_pay_cut_to_stay_with_the_team/5921062

Colts right tackle Ryan Diem was scheduled to earn $5.4 million in the final year of his current contract, but has taken a pay cut and is happy to remain with the team.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since he didnt hit FA and wasnt offered anything by other teams I dont feel thats an accurate statement.
Jordy said himself he settled for less because he wanted to be in GB. He didn't hit FA because he re-signed. When he signed it was the 27th biggest contract amongst active receivers, he knew he could get more in Free Agency.

Members online

Latest posts