FINALLY, A HEAD COACH NOT AFRAID TO UPSET FAVRE.

popper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard this morning on Colin Cowherd that after Favre threw five INT'S during practice, McCarthy was very vocal about his performance, saying "I will not tolerate this". Even Ron Jaworski said this is the type of coach Favre needs in order to excel, unlike Sherman, who wouldn"t say nothing about Favre.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I don't think the quote is accurate. I've read quite a bit about this situation, but its all been questioned if McCarthy should have called Brett out the way he did so who knows.

btw those who said he shouldn't be called out were Sherman fans those who opposed it said the failure to coach Brett is reason why he made such bad decisions during the previous years.

Found an article that would support the initial quote.

Chris Havel's rants and raves

By Chris Havel
[email protected]

Rants and raves from Green Bay Packers training camp:

RANT: Brett Favre throws multiple interceptions in a practice at training camp. Coach Mike McCarthy responds by pointing out that interceptions stemming from bad decisions by the quarterback can’t be tolerated. This sounds like the way it is supposed to work between a quarterback and a head coach.

I wish someone could explain the uproar in the national media. It sounds as if the so-called experts believe this is the beginning of the end for Favre, and he won’t be able to handle McCarthy’s criticism.

On the contrary, this is exactly what is supposed to be occurring. Favre wants what all players want: Good information that will enable him to succeed. That is what McCarthy is imparting.

Furthermore, it is difficult for McCarthy to criticize, say, a rookie guard for committing a false-start penalty if he won’t criticize the starting quarterback for throwing an ill-advised interception.

Too much is being read into this.

RAVE: Donald Driver and Greg Jennings have been strong, but kudos to young players such as Chris Francies, Chad Lucas, Ruvell Martin and Calvin Russell for making marked improvement since the first practice.

The Packers’ receivers couldn’t catch a cold the first few days, but now they are catching passes as if their hands are made of flypaper.

RANT: So many were so quick to sing Samkon Gado’s praises last season. Now, it appears Gado’s feel-good story has run its course, and he is being largely ignored. Too bad, because Gado showed the burst and explosiveness in Tuesday’s night practice that enabled him to rush for 582 yards in 143 attempts with six touchdowns. Gado, 23, is inexperienced, but don’t underestimate his talent.

RAVE: William Henderson is an ageless wonder. The 35-year-old |fullback looks like a man among boys when he hammers the blocking sled, and he shows the soft hands and nimble feet out of the backfield. Oh, yeah, he’s a special-teams stud, too. Henderson isn’t getting older. He’s getting better.

RANT: Too many penalties. The conditioning seems fine, but the concentration has been waning at times.

RAVE: Compared to last year, there seems to be less cramping, despite the heat, which suggests strength coach Rock Gullickson and his staff did an excellent job in the offseason, and trainer Pepper Burruss and his staff are doing likewise in training camp. The Packers seem like a better conditioned team than a year ago.

Packula

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cowherd, sorry to say, has a bit of an anti-mancrush with Favre. This isn't the first time he's seemed to enjoy seeing Favre getting some come-uppance.

However, given what is all over the national media about Favre's Very Bad Day, I think it is an encouraging sign that McCarthy is willing to Talk the Talk.

If Favre needs anything to make his last year successful, its going to be coaching and accountability.

Ray Rhodes, however, was really good at Talking the Talk, huffing and roaring, but he still spent most of his time playing dominoes with the players in the locker room.

I'm glad McCarthy is willing to Talk the Talk. Let's see if he can Walk the Walk.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packula (kick *** name) agreed, colin cowherd is a *********, and his show sucks... theres a difference in saying controversial statements, and down right makin stuff up. the guy is a shock jock *******, and if people would stop gettin all riled up about the stupid crap he says, he would go away for good.

however... this time apparently it really happened, and its a good thing for favre to have some coaching.

At the same time though, it was bretts first or second time on the feild this year playing against top talent... so i mean big freakin deal. he could of thrown picks on purpose for all we know. its a stupid reason for people to get all crazy. sorry.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cowherd's usually good, but I tune him out when he gets on his anti-Favre rants. During the NBA playoffs, he liked to go on anti-Shaq rants, but then Shaq helped his team win the championship. Oops!

I thought it was great that McCarthy called out Favre a little bit. Criticizing Favre in public was almost taboo for Sherman and his staff, and I think it was one of Sherman's downfalls.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Cowherd's usually good, but I tune him out when he gets on his anti-Favre rants. During the NBA playoffs, he liked to go on anti-Shaq rants, but then Shaq helped his team win the championship. Oops!

I thought it was great that McCarthy called out Favre a little bit. Criticizing Favre in public was almost taboo for Sherman and his staff, and I think it was one of Sherman's downfalls.

Did you know when Bates first came here he was yelling at a player and Sherman pulled him back and said 'we dont do that here' and said only he administrates discpline of that nature. Anothre tally on the Sherman failure list. You gotta let your coaches .... COACH! lol

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
popper said:
I heard this morning on Colin Cowherd that after Favre threw five INT'S during practice, McCarthy was very vocal about his performance, saying "I will not tolerate this". Even Ron Jaworski said this is the type of coach Favre needs in order to excel, unlike Sherman, who wouldn"t say nothing about Favre.

I agree, Favre needs that. Holmgrem would be very vocal about Favre. Sherman wasn't and seemed to of treated him differently. McCarthy treats him as anyone else. I like that in in McCarthy.

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cowherd definitely has issues with Favre . And His remarks about what McCarthy said are tabloid esque. Trying to make it look like there are issues between coach & QB . Like last year when they made a big deal on Favre's comments about Walkers hold out. Sometimes it seems like I'm listening to Jerry Springer rather than ESPN. They need to stick to reporting about sports and not looking for a gossip column.

Favre like every other player in the league needs a coach to actually coach him. Something he hasn't had since Holmy.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not get all excited about MM "talking" to Favre about 5 INTs. None of it counts a bit unless he has the guts to PULL Favre when he screws up during a game that counts. If he won't do that, he has no more credibility than MS did in his 5 yrs.

rob836

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RAVE: Compared to last year, there seems to be less cramping, despite the heat, which suggests strength coach Rock Gullickson and his staff did an excellent job in the offseason, and trainer Pepper Burruss and his staff are doing likewise in training camp. The Packers seem like a better conditioned team than a year ago.

You can see where MM is doing a better job then MS did as far as conditioning the players.

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don't get why Ray Rhodes was fired, his first year of coachig he gets teh Pack at .500 it was the end of the Holgram era and he only got one chance...I'm sorry I always found that ****** up.

NiVeK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone needs to put Favre in his place. I don't care who it is, but it needs to be done. All these crazy Favre lovers need to peel their lips off Brett's rear and make him accountable for the COUNTLESS bad decisions he makes.

Come on McCarthy....Give him a good tongue lashing!

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As had been said before by me and others...Mike McCarthy was hired BECAUSE of his ability to work with QB's, and because he won't back down from telling Favre what has to be done.

Sherman was a good coach, fair to poor General Manager, but he had no ability to stop Favre from become "Bad Brett". McCarthy has the potential to re-maximize "Good Brett", and this is how it's being done.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman and staff were too in awe of the future HOFer to do anything. I have said for years that Favre regressed under that "leadership", and I stand behind that statement.

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
As had been said before by me and others...Mike McCarthy was hired BECAUSE of his ability to work with QB's, and because he won't back down from telling Favre what has to be done.

Sherman was a good coach, fair to poor General Manager, but he had no ability to stop Favre from become "Bad Brett". McCarthy has the potential to re-maximize "Good Brett", and this is how it's being done.

Leaves just the "Ugly Brett" (aka "Int29") to be minimalized. :wink: :lol:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry to say, but I agree that Brett just like any other teammate should be accountable for their actions, it only makes for a better team.

Brett is the BEST QB to ever play the game of football IMO, and if he makes mistakes he should get called out on them, coaches just doing their job.

I am NOT a Brett Favre basher, NEVER will be, he is the MAN!!!!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackwillBEback said:
I still don't get why Ray Rhodes was fired, his first year of coachig he gets teh Pack at .500 it was the end of the Holgram era and he only got one chance...I'm sorry I always found that f'd up.

I don't agree with this...that Packer team underachieved under Rhodes during his season as HC and they were some of the most undisciplined group of thugs during the recent packer era in my opinion.

It was painful to watch all the cheap shots and trash talking to go along with all the stupid false starts, offsides, facemasks, etc. I'd be curious to see where the Packers ranked as far as penalties during this season. I know it was a far cry from what Holmgren demanded of basically the same players.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackwillBEback said:
I still don't get why Ray Rhodes was fired, his first year of coachig he gets teh Pack at .500 it was the end of the Holgram era and he only got one chance...I'm sorry I always found that f'd up.

I had the good fortune of being able to attend 3 days of training camp that year.
I observed Rhodes being TOTALLY disinterested in what was going on during the days I was there. He never got involved, hell he barely even looked at the field where the drills were taking place.
I never, over the course of those 3 days saw Rhodes speak to even 1 player.
I left Green Bay with a very bad feeling about Rhodes.
As it turned out my feelings were on the money.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:
Sorry to say, but I agree that Brett just like any other teammate should be accountable for their actions, it only makes for a better team.

Brett is the BEST QB to ever play the game of football IMO, and if he makes mistakes he should get called out on them, coaches just doing their job.

Yeah right Brett hater :p

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Ryan said:
Heatherthepackgirl said:

Let's not try to start an argument, Ryan. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Packula

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My concern, though.

I am certainly hopeful that McCarthy is ging t be holding Favre accountable.

However, did anyone else catch the blurb yesterday about McCarthy not being all that excited about Donald Driver back fielding kicks?

Link

McCarthy wasn't thrilled to see top receiver Donald Driver fielding kickoffs.

"I've never been on a team, especially since it's my team, (with) my starting flanker catching kickoffs," McCarthy said. "That's concerning."

McCarthy clearly doesn't want Driver to take the punishment that comes with being a kick returner, but figures special teams coach Mike Stock just had Driver in the rotation to make sure other returners weren't overworked.

I realize that McCarthy is very "hands-off" with his assistants, letting them do the work. After having a coach perceived as a micromanager, I'm sure this is desirable.

However, does this mean that players are being put in situations he doesn't want them in, to the point he's questioning it to the media afterwards?

The thread is about Favre, and someone having the kahunas to "stand up to him". I hope McCarthy has the kahunas to know what's going on with everyone else, though, too.

NiVeK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan said:
Heatherthepackgirl said:

I love Brett, but if you're not winning games for the Green Bay Packers....then I will bash away.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts