1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Final Roster Guess

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by TJV, Aug 26, 2011.

1. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Although there is a discussion of the likely 53 man roster on other threads and discussions about particular positions throughout.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  2. AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan Section 121 Row 47

Ratings:
    +339
    Only one fullback?

3. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,075
    I really want Lattimore to make this team. He looks like a gamer.

4. PackerChef

PackerChef Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    My final roster guess at this point is similar to yours, with QBs, RBs, WRs, OL, DL, CB, and STs all the same.

At LB I simplydon't see Jones making the cut, especially after another poor game in Indy combined with the good play of So 'oto and Lattimore. I see one of these guys making the final 53, with the other getting a practice squad offer along with Elmore (who i think would have been ok with OTAs and such but needs a year on the PC to learn to play LB like you said). I'm leaning So 'oto, primarily because I like his bend when he rushes the passer, plus in the preseason games, he's shown a great engine that just doesn't stop.

Great topic.

5. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +376
    Me too, but he's really underweight. Hopefully will go on PS and put on some good weight for next year.

6. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +376
    edit: wow I'm an idiot.. 6 receivers 5 TE's seems excessive lol, but I'll just go with this. I'll look smart if I'm right.

Offense (27)

QB (3)
    Aaron Rodgers
    Matt Flynn
    Graham Harrell

RB (3)
    Ryan Grant
    James Starks
    Alex Green

FB (1)
    John Kuhn

WR (6)
    Greg Jennings
    Donald Driver
    Jordy Nelson
    James Jones
    Randall Cobb
    Chastin West

O Line (9)
    Chad Clifton
    Derek Sherrod
    Scott Wells
    Josh Sitton
    Bryan Bulaga
    T.J. Lang
    Marshall Newhouse
    Nick McDonald
    Evan Dietrich-Smith

TE (5)
    Jermichael Finley
    Andrew Quarless
    Tom Crabtree
    D.J. Williams
    Ryan Taylor

Defense (23)

D Line (6)
    Ryan Pickett
    B.J. Raji
    Mike Neal
    Howard Green
    C.J. Wilson
    Jarius Wynn

OLBs 5)
    Clay Matthews
    Erik Walden
    Frank Zombo
    Brad Jones
    Vic So'oto

ILBs (4)
    A.J. Hawk
    Desmond Bishop
    Robert Francois
    D.J. Smith

CB (5)
    Charles Woodson
    Tramon Williams
    Sam Shields
    Jarrett Bush
    Davon House

S (3)
    Nick Collins
    Morgan Burnett
    Charlie Peprah

Special Teams (3)
    Mason Crosby
    Tim Masthay
    Brett Goode

7. TCHickman24

TCHickman24 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +79
    So'oto definitely makes the 53.. Dude is everywhere on the field!

8. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    So oto has to make it now.
    Peprah is better than Burnett, still.
    Quinn Johnson is on the bubble IF Taylor is capable of doing some of the FB stuff.
    Can't imagine them keeping 6 WRs with 5 TEs... someone has to be moved. But West is NFL-ready now. He'd be a #3 or #2 WR on some teams out there, or he should be.

I'm not a fan of Francois.

9. Helmets

Helmets Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +222
    Bottom line - too much talent, too few roster spots.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Guacamole

Guacamole Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +93
    Which means the Pack will have one hell of a practice squad, with many guys ready to fill in when someone gets hurt, cuz it's going to happen.

11. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Does Harrell really need to make this team? Aside from the last 2 drives (penalty aided and all) he looked terrible.

12. TJV

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Regarding only one FB, the operative word in the title for me is “guess”.

13. JoshuaRHuffman

JoshuaRHuffman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    QB: Rodgers, Flynn (2)

RB: Grant, Starks, Green, Kuhn, Johnson (7)

WR: Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Jones, Cobb, West (13)

TE: Finley, Quarless, Williams, Taylor (17)

OL: Clifton, Lang, Wells, Sitton, Bulaga, Sherrod, Dietrich Smith, Newhouse, McDonald (26)

DL: Raji, Pickett, Neal, Green, Wilson, Wynn (32)

LB: Matthews, Bishop, Hawk, Zombo, Walden, Jones, Smith, Francois, So'oto (41)

DB: Williams, Woodson, Shields, House, Collins, Peprah, Burnett, Bush, and either Underwood/Lee/Gordy. I think that you'd have to retain at least keep 9 DBs. (50)

ST:
    Crosby
    Masthay
    Goode (53)

PS
    Harrell
    Saine
    Gurley
    Schuladeraff
    Guy
    Lattimore
    Elmore
    Levine

*I'm not sure how long Zombo's injury is, but maybe they put him on PUP. That would definitely make So'oto more likely on the 53-man roster.

*I think they have to retain at least one DL on their practice squad because Mike Neal is a ticking time bomb.

*Out of the 53 guys I have making the roster, I'd say Quinn Johnson is most vulnerable, especially if they want to keep 10 DBs and/or like Taylor as a backup FB.

• Like Like x 1
  14. okcpackerfan

okcpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +186
    That is very well thought out and organized, summed it up perfectly

15. ThorMatthews

ThorMatthews Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +77
    The team will be
    Flynn and Matthews, just those two.

16. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445
    I think he does. This is Flynn's last year and Harrell wouldn't clear waivers. Too many teams need QBs and teams would be inclined to pick him up just because he's been coached at QBU.

17. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445
    I think your list is spot on. Every poster will have one or two that they feel stronger about but I think we all agree the close one's could go either way.
    WRs can go West or Gurley, but I'd rather see the taller target and ST play of Gurley. I agree that whoever doesn't make the team will not clear waivers. It makes me sick to think of either player on another team. TE seems right too. Everyone wondered why so many TEs in the draft until we consider Taylor as H Back. Sorry to say I think you're right about Crabtree. But I'd rather see a big group of capable TEs with receiving threats than fullbacks.
    I think what the coaches like in McDonald is his "squareness" They like his style and his build for center. I completely agree on Sherrod and Newhouse. I think they are in a good position at tackle. I'm not even sweating Sherrod not coming on strong this early because I am pretty high on Newhouse. Let's pray Cliffy stays healthy and a power one more year.
    On D-line I think Guy will be a PS guy but that's just what I believe. I have no reason to think the Packer staff is that high on him. I would just like to see him work out. You know... the hidden gem late round story. I like the Smith story at LB. Dom kinda compared him to another outstanding small LB he worked with. I really had high hopes for Jones, but So'oto really has opened my eyes. You gotta love his bend and aggressiveness. One has to wonder if Jones is the same athlete he was before his injury too. I also loved the concept of Elmore but he hasn't seemed to impress anybody that I've heard of.
    I think Peprah is as good as Burnett but obviously Burnett has more upside. You gotta love Peprah as a backup though right? Philly might have more "name" players in their backfield, but this unit is as good as theirs IMHO. I have Jennings over Levine even without concussions.
    I am completely okay with the ST personnel, I'd just like to see some "special" in ST.
    I will say this ThxJack, I understand how the Pack might be hampered more than other teams since they rely more on draft and so on. But every team has had to deal with it. The Packers were so deep that I don't think any of us are really expecting any draft picks to have a considerable impact. It would be nice if they do, but I sense they won't have to unless injuries mount again this season.
    I'd hope Sherrod gets a year to learn from Cliffy, Cobb will make an impact for sure, but he's not going to see alot of catches with the huge amount of receiving potential we have at WR, TE and RB. Alex Green will keep fresh and learn. House might be a dime at some point this season but he's probably not going to see the field alot. I suppose if any draft pick will have an impact immediately DJ will be the man. He just looks so unbelievably quick and good. I like Quarless ALOT and I think he and DJ could be the future if Finley isn't able to stay. Schlauderaff could see action in case of injury as well as DJ Smith but I'm hoping not. Taylor may have an impact as an H back. I'm excited to see if that happens.
    It looks like losses in free agency and pickups in the draft and returns of starters from injury has us in good stead. If you had to pick one weakness it's the D-line. You have to think if this team had a weakness it's best if it's on D since Dom will make a jigsaw of players into a complete picture, regardless of which pieces you give him.

18. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Swain and Havner have both been cut as was expected.

19. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,075
    I would IR him in that case.

20. TJV

Ratings:
    +4,176

21. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
  22. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +1,232
    Sure you can, Jack. We hide our players all the time over on the Viking's active roster! :)

• Like Like x 1
  23. ThorMatthews

ThorMatthews Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +77
    ouch

24. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
  25. Future

Future He did WHAT?

Ratings:
    +87
    Assuming no other teams take these guys off of our practice squad.