Final 53 -- Play GM and build your roster link

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gado has nothing to do with Janis. Why so dismissive?

Cause the parallel is pretty simple. Player that hasn't gotten a whole lot of burn and then due to injuries finally is forced into a prominent role and has a monster game his first time out and people lose there minds thinking that it's all a sign of things to come and the problem was that he simply hadn't gotten a chance before.

It's dismissive because it's one game and some are pointing at it as if it proves and validates a stance they've been taking for the past two years that Janis is a stud in waiting. I along with others are taking a wait and see approach with him but to the Janis supporters that isn't an option it seems. They've dug their heels in to the point where the Arizona game HAS to be a sign of things to come otherwise they might have to rethink their stance that there's been no good reason that he hasn't been playing over others on the depth chart.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Janis has finally gotten it, but i'm not banking on it. I think there is a bit of optimism to draw from the AZ game, and it had nothing to do with his late game heroics. He actually made a few other decent catches in the game. One may have even been back shoulder? The details get fuzzy with time, who am I kidding, they were fuzzy when I watched them live, but he showed something other than the ability to run fast.

And while encouraging, it doesn't prove a lot. Good receivers have a hundred ways to get open and run a route. Maybe he just got lucky and with 5 games of tape, people have him figured out? or maybe he's finally understanding the game? Yes the hail mary's were cool, and he made some catches worthy of a highlight reel, but highlights don't run an offense. It's doing your job well , down after down after down. If he can't do that, he'll never be anything more than the 1 trick pony I've viewed him as so far when it comes to playing WR.

That's not saying that 1 trick can't be useful at times, and we should have a few plays just to take advantage of that, but it doesn't make him a prolific WR. He has the physical skills to do more, it would be nice to see him take advantage of that because him knowing and executing what Jordy does would be fun for all of us to watch :) but I don't think he's even a quarter of the way there yet

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like the front office and coaching staff still don't believe in him turning into a productive receiver though. How else do you explain Thompson drafting another receiver with the same skill set in Trevor Davis???

This did cross my mind. Could it be them thinking towards the end days of Nelson, knowing one hopefull heir isn't enough...or was it a sign of thinking Janis isn't going to pan out...or was it merely a weapon they saw way too valuable to pass at the spot he was there in the 5th (ala AR in the late 1st)???

Only a few heads know this...however I'll say this, a team can do FAR worse than having Janis as an active 5th or 4th WR on the roster the way he contributes on STs. I foresee him hanging around that #5 spot for years to come on the cheap too :D

D

Deleted member 6794

Only a few heads know this...however I'll say this, a team can do FAR worse than having Janis as an active 5th or 4th WR on the roster the way he contributes on STs. I foresee him hanging around that #5 spot for years to come on the cheap too :D

There's no doubt Janis is a great contributor on special teams. We'll have to wait and see how he develops as a receiver.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This did cross my mind. Could it be them thinking towards the end days of Nelson, knowing one hopefull heir isn't enough...or was it a sign of thinking Janis isn't going to pan out...or was it merely a weapon they saw way too valuable to pass at the spot he was there in the 5th (ala AR in the late 1st)???

Although hopeful, I doubt that the Packers expect a 5th rounder to be the heir to Jordy in however many years he hangs up his cleats. When that time comes, it is either going to require some luck in development or a high draft choice (and more luck) to properly fill Jordy's shoes. Who knows, maybe that guy is on the team now?

I can't help myself, but when it comes to evaluating our WR's, I seem to always remember who is throwing to them, as well as the success (or lack of) rate of WR's who have left GB only to discover that AR was a pretty good QB to have throwing to you.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although hopeful, I doubt that the Packers expect a 5th rounder to be the heir to Jordy in however many years he hangs up his cleats. When that time comes, it is either going to require some luck in development or a high draft choice (and more luck) to properly fill Jordy's shoes. Who knows, maybe that guy is on the team now?

I can't help myself, but when it comes to evaluating our WR's, I seem to always remember who is throwing to them, as well as the success (or lack of) rate of WR's who have left GB only to discover that AR was a pretty good QB to have throwing to you.

Without a doubt...but remember it isn't crunch time yet for finding that heir. Which means I'm going to hunt and peck and see if I can find that gem like perhaps Janis blooms into or Davis...or even could be Adams although he was a higher pick and with higher expectations.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still wondering how this guy lasted to the 5th round? What's the story? He seems like a really good kid, and by that I mean a guy that isn't in trouble, seems to have a great head on his shoulders, has a good attitude, etc. I see nothing there that would make teams pass. Then I watch the videos of him and he catches everything. Sure he has his share of typical receiver running wide open catches, but he also looks to make about every other catch in the book. I think this guy has hands. What was missing from his game or person that makes him last to the 5th, because to me, he looks better than a 5th rounder.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still wondering how this guy lasted to the 5th round? What's the story? He seems like a really good kid, and by that I mean a guy that isn't in trouble, seems to have a great head on his shoulders, has a good attitude, etc. I see nothing there that would make teams pass. Then I watch the videos of him and he catches everything. Sure he has his share of typical receiver running wide open catches, but he also looks to make about every other catch in the book. I think this guy has hands. What was missing from his game or person that makes him last to the 5th, because to me, he looks better than a 5th rounder.

It might be his size. Teams worry that one solid hit going across the middle might be all it takes to end his career.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm still wondering how this guy lasted to the 5th round?

I think this is a pretty decent run down on Davis and why he probably lasted to the 5th. Some reports had him going even later. Think he will need some time in the weight room, learn how to separate at the LOS and run crisper routes. I don't expect much of him as a WR this year, but given some time, he may be a good one.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...2016-scouting-report-grade-for-packers-rookie

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure he has a few things to learn about playing WR in the NFL, they all do. I think he'll be better than a 5 th round pick when all is said and done. Might take a season or 2

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure he has a few things to learn about playing WR in the NFL, they all do. I think he'll be better than a 5 th round pick when all is said and done. Might take a season or 2

That's the biggest knocks on the kid I've seen- needs to get bigger and stronger, polish up his route running. Everything else is there.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It will be an interesting preseason with our WR group to say the least.

• Jordy: coming back from injury, will he return to form right away?
  • Cobb: will he be able to shake off an injury filled, so so 2015 season and prove he is worth his contract?
  • Adams: Is he the WR we saw his rookie year or his sophomore year?
  • Montgomery: Will he come back ok from his injury and continue to show his talents?
  • Abby: Will he stay healthy and prove he is worth keeping?
  • Janis: Will he prove to the coaches and fans that he is ready to get more snaps?
  • Davis: Rookie with promise, will he impress on KO returns and WR or fill a spot on the PS?
  • Jones: Will the Packers realize they need him and his hoodie back in GB to give AR more weapons? :coffee:
Lots of injuries last year, I think Janis was the only healthy WR from start to finish? Lots of things to prove for guys like Adams, Abby and Janis. I look forward to some stiff competition from 3-7 and maybe these guys will all start playing up to their potential!

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm still wondering how this guy lasted to the 5th round? What's the story?

Davis isn't a polished route runner and therefore has troubles getting separation. That's probably the main reason he lasted to the fifth round.

I think this is a pretty decent run down on Davis and why he probably lasted to the 5th.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...2016-scouting-report-grade-for-packers-rookie

It's interesting the report mentions Davis being a slot receiver after he lined up there on only 3.3% of his snaps last season.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt Janis had a great game against the Cardinals in the playoffs. A lot of Packers faithfuls put way too much stock in the performance though as he hasn't done anything worth mentioning as a receiver aside of that game over the last two years.

I think it would be smart to let him prove he can duplicate these numbers in at least another game before elevating him to stardom.

He also had a pair of big gainers against San Diego and he's made a number of splash plays in pre-season games. Some guys practice well and then look like crap under the lights and some guys look like they're barely serviceable on the practice and make things happen come gametime. Brandon Underwood drew rave reviews during OTAs and camp and then looked like crap every time he played. Desmond Bishop was always mentioned as being too out of control on the practice field, the coaches just didn't trust him. At least they didn't until they were forced to put him in and he turned out to be a beast. I suspect Janis may be in the later category.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not saying that 1 trick can't be useful at times, and we should have a few plays just to take advantage of that, but it doesn't make him a prolific WR. He has the physical skills to do more, it would be nice to see him take advantage of that because him knowing and executing what Jordy does would be fun for all of us to watch :) but I don't think he's even a quarter of the way there yet

From what I saw in his past games he looks good running vertical routes. He doesn't have the hips to make sharp hard cuts like Jordy Randall or Davante Adams but he doesn't need to. If you watch this highlight reel what pops out to me beyond his size and speed I'd go with both his explosiveness and how quick he looks when making shallow cuts down field. He really doesn't lose much speed and runs away from his man, he should be a tough cover downfield. I actually like him as a number 2 opposite Jordy in our 3 receiver sets, he's going to demand safety help over the top... assuming he has an adequate understanding of the playbook and concepts.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's interesting the report mentions Davis being a slot receiver after he lined up there on only 3.3% of his snaps last season.

I saw that as well, but I think it was just intended to point out some teams only view his as a slot receiver because of his speed and small frame?

"A smaller, lanky frame will automatically typecast Davis as a slot receiver for many NFL teams."

these reporters don't always get things right either. I remember reading one reporter saying that "Spriggs could be used as a TE, a position he played in college". LOL.....from what I read elsewhere, Spriggs never played TE in college or HS, but was recruited by Indiana as an athlete who could potentially play TE....he settled into the Tackle position his freshman year and never looked back.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My Final 53

QB: (3) Rodgers, Hundley, veteran FA signing in pre-season

I can't see them going into the season with the only other QB besides Rodgers on the roster being a guy who has had 0 regular season snaps, and while I don't know who it will be, with Rodgers injury history (Concussions, collar bone, foot etc.) you can't carry 2 QBs, and only 1 with experience. This lesson was learned.

RB: (3) Lacey, Starks, Crockett

I'm not sold on Starks anymore, but consensus in the media seems to be he stays so 3 RB.

FB: (2) Ripkowski, Kuhn

Kuhn resigns eventually, but gets demoted to #2 and special teams at least early. I can't see him not being a Packer, and with as late as they keep signing him I can't him being the starter without Ripkowski falling on his wallet.

WR: (6) Nelson, Cobb, Montgomery, Janis, Abberderis, Davis

Odd man out here is Davontae Adams. He's not proven himself worthy of the pick. If Montgomery is healthy, and if Abberderis can stay healthy he becomes the odd man out. Also pulling for Geronimo Allison (Yes I like his name) getting a spot.

TE: (4) Cook, Rodgers, Backman, Perillo

I'm not sold on Richard Rodgers here but he's the best of a weak group. Really should've tried to address this group in the draft and didn't. Maybe something pops up in cuts. I'm also not sure if it's Backman before Perillo or Perillo before Backman here.

OL: (9) Linsley, Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Lang, Sitton, Spriggs, Taylor or Taylor or Barclay (2 of the 3 not all 3), Murphy

DL: (6) Guion, Daniels, Pennel, Clark, Lowry, Jones

I think all 6 guys play in a rotation. There could always be a rookie free-agent that sneaks in or a couple, in which case I think Pennel then Jones are first out.

ILB: (4) Barrington, Ryan, Martinez, Thomas

I love linebackers always have. I'm not sold on A.) Martinez not being a starter and B.) Thomas making the team due to a late camp signing or ineffective play. I wouldn't also count out Beniquez Brown taking a spot from Thomas, but I won't count him here because I'm not 100% sure either.

OLB: (5) Neal, Peppers, Lowry, Perry, Matthews

Notice I put Lowry in here twice. I think they see him as the Julius Peppers type that can be DE and OLB, so I wasn't sure which place to put him. I'm looking at Jermauria Rasco also POSSIBLY making this team in the last spot, if they carry 5 every Perry or Neal. And yes I know Matthews will start and not be the last guy off the bench.

Safety: (4) Burnette, HaHa, Gunter, Banjo

I know Gunter is listed at CB, but I think he finds a spot at Safety on this team more easily.

CB: (6) Randall, Rollins, Sheilds, Hyde, Gunter and either Goodson OR Heyward not both.

I know Shields won't lose his spot but I do have the top 3 corners listed that will definitely play. Again I put Gunter on the team twice cause while I THINK he'll be a safety he is listed at corner.

Specilists: (3) Crosby, Morell, Goode

I'm saying Goode if he's ready, also cause I couldn't find the name of the guy who finished the season last year.

I know it looks like I've got over the 53, but I don't I have a couple guys who I'm not 100% sure where they play.

Reaction score
I saw that as well, but I think it was just intended to point out some teams only view his as a slot receiver because of his speed and small frame?

"A smaller, lanky frame will automatically typecast Davis as a slot receiver for many NFL teams."

these reporters don't always get things right either. I remember reading one reporter saying that "Spriggs could be used as a TE, a position he played in college". LOL.....from what I read elsewhere, Spriggs never played TE in college or HS, but was recruited by Indiana as an athlete who could potentially play TE....he settled into the Tackle position his freshman year and never looked back.
Itd be intriguing to see guys play at different positions. Can you imagine Peppers at TE and a DB trying to tackle him with a full head of steam and a straight arm? :tup:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My Final 53

QB: (3) Rodgers, Hundley, veteran FA signing in pre-season

I can't see them going into the season with the only other QB besides Rodgers on the roster being a guy who has had 0 regular season snaps, and while I don't know who it will be, with Rodgers injury history (Concussions, collar bone, foot etc.) you can't carry 2 QBs, and only 1 with experience. This lesson was learned.

RB: (3) Lacey, Starks, Crockett

I'm not sold on Starks anymore, but consensus in the media seems to be he stays so 3 RB.

FB: (2) Ripkowski, Kuhn

Kuhn resigns eventually, but gets demoted to #2 and special teams at least early. I can't see him not being a Packer, and with as late as they keep signing him I can't him being the starter without Ripkowski falling on his wallet.

WR: (6) Nelson, Cobb, Montgomery, Janis, Abberderis, Davis

Odd man out here is Davontae Adams. He's not proven himself worthy of the pick. If Montgomery is healthy, and if Abberderis can stay healthy he becomes the odd man out. Also pulling for Geronimo Allison (Yes I like his name) getting a spot.

I'm not sold on Richard Rodgers here but he's the best of a weak group. Really should've tried to address this group in the draft and didn't. Maybe something pops up in cuts. I'm also not sure if it's Backman before Perillo or Perillo before Backman here.

OL: (9) Linsley, Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Lang, Sitton, Spriggs, Taylor or Taylor or Barclay (2 of the 3 not all 3), Murphy

I think all 6 guys play in a rotation. There could always be a rookie free-agent that sneaks in or a couple, in which case I think Pennel then Jones are first out.

ILB: (4) Barrington, Ryan, Martinez, Thomas

I love linebackers always have. I'm not sold on A.) Martinez not being a starter and B.) Thomas making the team due to a late camp signing or ineffective play. I wouldn't also count out Beniquez Brown taking a spot from Thomas, but I won't count him here because I'm not 100% sure either.

Notice I put Lowry in here twice. I think they see him as the Julius Peppers type that can be DE and OLB, so I wasn't sure which place to put him. I'm looking at Jermauria Rasco also POSSIBLY making this team in the last spot, if they carry 5 every Perry or Neal. And yes I know Matthews will start and not be the last guy off the bench.

Safety: (4) Burnette, HaHa, Gunter, Banjo

I know Gunter is listed at CB, but I think he finds a spot at Safety on this team more easily.

CB: (6) Randall, Rollins, Sheilds, Hyde, Gunter and either Goodson OR Heyward not both.

I know Shields won't lose his spot but I do have the top 3 corners listed that will definitely play. Again I put Gunter on the team twice cause while I THINK he'll be a safety he is listed at corner.

I'm saying Goode if he's ready, also cause I couldn't find the name of the guy who finished the season last year.

I know it looks like I've got over the 53, but I don't I have a couple guys who I'm not 100% sure where they play.

No way the Packers carry 3 QBs on the active roster. Anyone signed is playing for the PS. Comparing Hundley to the year of the collarbone is off base. There's little reason to use an active roster spot on a vet if they like Hundley. Might as well of brought back Tolzien.

Zero chance that if they bring back Kuhn it's as a backup. It'd be a complete waste of a roster spot.

Ughhh. 4 TEs. Possibly I guess I just hate it. And come on. RR is a GREAT option as the #2 TE. Not a great starter but very few teams are doing better then him as a backup.

Listing Gunter at Saftey but not Hyde?

If Hayward was still on the team there'd be about a zero percent chance he'd get cut as you suggested but he isn't so theres that and Neal isn't around also.

D

Deleted member 6794

WR (6): Nelson, Cobb, Montgomery, Janis, Abbrederis, Davis

It's true that Adams hasn't lived up to his draft position but he's a far more polished receiver than Janis and Davis. The other three receivers you mentioned are best suited to play in the slot. Adams will for sure make the roster.

I'm not sold on Richard Rodgers here but he's the best of a weak group.

Rodgers is a solid #2 tight end.

It has been mentioned several times that Datone Jones will mainly line up at outside linebacker, just like he did during the second half of last season. In addition Pennel is suspended for the first four weeks of the season so he won't be on the Packers 53 to open the season.

Notice I put Lowry in here twice. I think they see him as the Julius Peppers type that can be DE and OLB, so I wasn't sure which place to put him. I'm looking at Jermauria Rasco also POSSIBLY making this team in the last spot, if they carry 5 every Perry or Neal.

Neither Neal nor Rasco are currently on the Packers roster. McCray and Elliott have good chances to make the team though.

Hayward signed with the Chargers in the offseason and Goodson is suspended for the first four games as well.

Goode tore his ACL late last season. It's highly unlikely he will be ready for the start of the season. Rick Lovato did a fine job replacing him.

Can you imagine Peppers at TE and a DB trying to tackle him with a full head of steam and a straight arm? :tup:

The Packers already tried that once against the Saints in 2014. It failed miserably.

Last edited by a moderator:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time for our guesses:

QB: Rodgers, Hundley (2)
RB: Lacy, Starks, Crockett, Ripkowski (4)
OL: Linsley, Bulaga, Bahktiari, Sitton, Lang, Tretter, Spriggs, Taylor, Murphy (9)
TE: Rodgers, Cook, Perillo, Backman (4)
WR: Nelson, Cobb, Janis, Adams, Davis, Montgomery (6)
DL: Clark, Daniels, Lowry, Jones, Guion, Ringo (6)
LB: Matthews, Peppers, Ryan, Martinez, Barrington, Fackrell, Perry, Elliott, McCray (9)
DB: Shields, Randall, Rollins, Gunter, Hyde, Daniel, Hawkins, Burnett, Clinton-Dix, Banjo (10)
ST: Crosby, Masthay, Lovato (3)

I wanted to keep Abbrederis but I just couldn't see us keeping 7 receivers. I think we'll keep 6, though. Ringo makes it at least initially since Pennel is suspended, and Boyd being cut probably indicates Ringo is a good bet to stick. I have no idea which UDFA(S) will make it, but I had to project 1, so I went with the athletic DB Hawkins. I also have last year's late add Robertson Daniel making it. Goodson is suspended, but even coming off suspension he's no guarantee to be added. I really wanted to project Mortell over Masthay but I think we'll chicken out to keep Crosby's holder around.

I have us keeping every draft pick. We didn't have a 7th, and Murphy is too good of a project to count on sneaking to the PS.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts