Fergueson's time in GB over, says Coach McCarthy

Reaction score
From Packersnews.com Insider Blog

Robert Ferguson's career as a Green Bay Packer is over.

Coach Mike McCarthy said after practice tonight the team is talking with several teams about a possible trade, but even if one is not worked out, Ferguson will not play for the Packers again.

"We've decided to go in another direction," McCarthy said.

McCarthy said he met with Ferguson about 5 p.m. to inform him of his decision.

I wish Ferguson the person luck in the future, because after it was all said and done he was a good guy.

He has been dead weight for a while now, and I don't believe too many of us will be disappointed.

He never was the same after the Darius hit.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, this is an awesome day.

I hope he does well for himself though.

Make room for the new breed of Packers recievers!

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I think honestly that the change may be good for Fergie... let him start over in a way. The guy seems like a very likeable guy and wish him only the best in the future. Good Luck.

Letting him loose a little early will only help him.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'm glad, but in the same sense sad because he was a helluva leader for the young receivers. That's the nature of the business though. I'm glad it was done early because it gives the younger guys some confidence and motivation.

A trade? lol C'mon, everyone is gonna know we're releasing him so who the heck is gonna give up anything for a guy they can easily outbid another team to acquire?

Pack93z

Reaction score
A trade? lol C'mon, everyone is gonna know we're releasing him so who the heck is gonna give up anything for a guy they can easily outbid another team to acquire?

Well the team would get him with a contract for a couple more years if he does turn it around. Additionally they would be ensured they get him. Wanna bet the Texans?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah, that part....wtf

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today is a sad day in Green Bay. Ferguson was as tough as they came and was going to break out this year. I'm disapointed.

^ The above was all sarcasm

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

Well the team would get him with a contract for a couple more years if he does turn it around. Additionally they would be ensured they get him. Wanna bet the Texans?

Do you know how much his contract is by chance? Here's a hint, more than a 3rd string WR who can't play 16 consecutive games :)

$2.5 million, I believe.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Zero2Cool said:

Do you know how much his contract is by chance? Here's a hint, more than a 3rd string WR who can't play 16 consecutive games :)

$2.5 million, I believe.

Base salary is 1.4 mil a year through 2008. The signing bonus is voided with the trade... so you would gain a vet WR for two year at 2.8 mill. If he doesn't work out you cut him with no cap hit. For a 7th or even a sixth.. not bad.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Pack93z said:
Zero2Cool said:

$2.5 million, I believe.

Base salary is 1.4 mil a year through 2008. The signing bonus is voided with the trade... so you would gain a vet WR for two year at 2.8 mill. If he doesn't work out you cut him with no cap hit. For a 7th or even a sixth.. not bad.

Read that the total cap hit was 2.5 for 2007.

http://www.packerchatters.com/team_info/salary_cap/ :shrug: PSRB?

Pack93z

Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Zero2Cool said:
Pack93z said:
Zero2Cool said:

$2.5 million, I believe.

Yes our cap hit is accelerated with the remaining bonus bring brought into this year along with the roster bonus we gave him I believe in March. But his base salary is 1.4 per year through 08.

PRSB = Potential remaining signing bonus I believe.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Pack93z said:
Zero2Cool said:
Pack93z said:
Zero2Cool said:

$2.5 million, I believe.

Yes our cap hit is accelerated with the remaining bonus bring brought into this year along with the roster bonus we gave him I believe in March. But his base salary is 1.4 per year through 08.

PRSB = Potential remaining signing bonus I believe.

http://www.packerchatters.com/team_info/salary_cap/ says base is 1.8 with some 700,000 as PSRB

Found this at NFLPA
http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=30089

2006 1400000.00
2007 1800000.00
2008 2200000.00

:shrug: who wants to trust that site tho? :shrug:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel bad for Fergy, but the writing was on the wall when Carlyle Holliday started to outplay him on special teams. Donovan Darius basically ended Fergy's career with that clothesline a few years back--at a time when he still had a chance to be a good player.

A trade could conceivably happen if another team has a player who is in a similar predicament, or Ferguson could be a throw-in on a larger trade. You never know, some GM may have had his eye on him all these years. It happens sometimes.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Well I was working off an different one... it had it as 1.4 a year... either way he can be cut at any time by the new team without a additional cap hit. So low risk...

Again.. I am dreaming that someone will trade from him...

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Slowly but surely, the dead weight on the team is being purged. That's what necessary to get better. Our young WR crew now has real talent IMO, and the only question now is if Favre can find them on the field. Bubba Franks is next as he appears to have lost the hands and blocking skills he once had. Maybe TT can get a TE for Fergie although it obviously won't be a front-liner. I have no idea which teams could use a #3 or #4 WR. Houston, I would guess. Sherman deserves Fergie back.

Pack93z

Reaction score

Members online

Latest posts