1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Fellow gun owners: hide your property

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by GreenBlood, Jan 10, 2013.

1. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,777
    There are 18 deaths per year on average from mass shootings. I am wondering how many deaths there are each year from 'high heels'? I know of ladies tripping on stairs with high heels and dying. I know of a couple of car accidents that were blamed on high heels getting stuck under the brake. Hmmm. I think I can feel another website coming on. To demonstrate the absurdity of gun control, I think I could make a pretty good case for banning high heels. I can't seem to find the statistics needed to make an argument.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,041
  3. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,041
    In order to cut down on drunk driving the country enacted strict laws and regulations to curb it. It worked. Drunk driving fell dramatically. Bars can be punished, alcohol is closely regulated (where bars buy it for example), and the strict regulations led to people drinking and driving less. This came from a push from the federal govt involving hwy funds. Certain states are different and you can clearly see the correlation between drunk driving rates and their laws on the books involving alcohol.

In response to "the amendment is the amendment" I would like to point out the 18th.

4. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,041
    These all sound pretty reasonable.

Call on the Attorney General to “review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun” to ensure that people who could pose a threat “are not slipping through the cracks” (executive action)

Offer “rulemaking” that would enable law enforcement officials to run background checks after seizing a gun, before returning the weapon (executive action)

Have the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) provide gun dealers — who possess federal licenses — with a published letter detailing how to run background checks for “private sellers” (executive action)

Start a national campaign that emphasizes “safe and responsible gun ownership” (executive action)

Call for a review of safety standards designed for gun locks and gun safes (executive action)

Offer a report from the Department of Justice that assesses information on lost and stolen guns, and ensure that information is easily accessible for law enforcement. (executive action)

Nominate a director for the ATF (executive action)

Offer training for “active shooter situations” for law enforcement, first responders and school officials (executive action)

“Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime” (executive action)

Call for a report from the Attorney General that details and analyzes new gun safety technology, and encourage the private sector to produce “innovative technologies” (executive action)

“Clarify” that the health care legislation doesn’t preclude doctors from asking patients about their gun ownership at home (executive action)

Offer a letter for health care providers, stressing that they are not prevented by law “from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities” (executive action)

Create emergency contingency plans for schools, places of higher education and houses of worship (executive action)

Clarify to state health officials which mental health services Medicaid must cover (executive action)

Complete regulations that outline the “essential health benefits and parity requirements” within the exchanges established by the health care legislation (executive action)

Complete “mental health parity regulations” (executive action)

5. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +992
    I don't need a gun. We can use knives like Bonicio Del Toro and Tommy lee did in the movie THE HUNTED!

6. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,777
    Forget about banning guns. Forget high heels idea above. Buses are the real danger here.

121 people die each year getting hit by a bus.
    19 of which are children on school buses

20 people die on buses each year

141 people are killed each year from buses. To put this into perspective of how horrific this is, only 18 people each year die of mass shootings with assault weapons, yet millions of Americans are clamoring for restrictions. Yet, you are 8x more likely to be killed by a bus this year than an assault rifle in a mass shooting.

Ask yourself, what is being done about this senseless slaughter of innocent lives?

NOTHING!

The Democrats and their Union Cohorts in Detroit continue with the same song and dance. And the NBA – National Bus Association – with their deep pockets, continue to hit us with the same senseless rhetoric: “Buses don’t kill people, bad drivers do.” Time to wake up America.

[​IMG]

7. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,777
    40 people die each DAY from drunk drivers. 18 people are killed each YEAR by assault rifles in mass shootings. Is it relevant that it used to be more? Shouldn't there be greater outcry to curb drunk driving deaths than there is with assault rifles? Just looking quickly at it, your child is around 800x more likely to be killed by a drunk driver than by a mass shooter with a assault rifle.

I have not come to the conclusion that 40 deaths per day is insignificant. 18 per year is too many also, but both statistics are the unfortunate cost of living in a free society. Taking away our freedom, guns, alcohol, or autos is not the answer.

The reason guns are under scrutiny is a prolonged push by the anti-gun crowd capitalizing on a very horrible tragedy and a public that is prone to knee-jerk insensible reactions.

8. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,041
    Yes and house cats kill millions of birds every year.

9. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,777
    birds = humans?

10. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,041
    Depends how you feel. Birds make me uncomfortable

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +965
    Well have fun with that. Hope you have enough ammo in your clips.:D

12. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +965
    Been watching that Alfred Hitchcock marathon?:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +827
    Wow, three pages and it hasn't been locked. Yet. I'm impressed folks. Now, lets keep it open. I don't want to make this political and it should not be. A lot of people think that new gun laws will help with shootings and killings. So can anyone come up with a gun law that can do this? Out of an out right ban I can not think of any type of law that could prevent an incident like that happened in Newton. All guns were purchased legally. It does not really matter that he used an AR-15, he could have done just as much damage with a 12 gauge pump shotgun.

We can complain all we want about so called "assault rifles", which I kind of laugh at the term, so far no one has come up with a valid description of what an assault rifle is. I can take the parts of an AR-15 and mount them into a standard wooden stock and it would look like a hunting rifle. So do we follow the herd, and ban something that won't change anything, or do we think outside the box and come up with something that really might work? To me a weapons ban just does not address the issue at hand. It is just a panacea for the masses. " Look we did something." Until the next nut job comes along.

14. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,041
    Now I havent looked up the numbers, and who knows maybe there arent any, but it seems frequent that when we have a mass shooting at least one of the guns was purchased online. I think that might be something to look into.

I think the best thing for gun owners is to take a proactive approach to this and suggest laws that target criminals and not every day gun owners that are responsible. This should also include enforcement of the current gun laws on the books which the NRA have fought tooth and nail.

15. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    Online purchases have nothing to do with criminal intent, the purchase still has to go through an authorized FFL dealer and he or she can and will make the determination to let you take the gun home, or not. They put their butts on the line when selling you something that you have to sign off on and so do they when purchasing. They can go to jail as easily as the buyer could. If you walk into my FFL guys shop and you even look suspect, you aint getting a damn thing. Plus he too checks your record.

16. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,041
    You said if someone looks like a "suspect" they aren't able to purchase from you.

Do you find it easier to determine what someone looks like in person or online?

17. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,041
    I believe a GB online gun dealer sold weapons in 3 different mass shootings. A Pitt mall shooting and two college shootings.

18. Raptorman

Ratings:
    +827
    Here's the thing. Someone like myself can go out buy a gun and get it with no problems. Squeaky clean record,(never been caught) never been arrested, nothing to put up red flags. So I go out buy a few guns and a bunch of ammo. Now, know one knows my state of mind. I may be planning on doing something really bad. There is no way to determine that. Or, I could get them home and my wife could go off, taking my guns and doing some damage. (Although with her it would probably be people who really deserve it.) Point is, you can't tell intent. Even if you catch 10,000 people who should not have guns, that one nut job is going to get them no matter what we do. How do you deal with that one nut job? And if you think about it, almost every mass shooting in the last 30 years or so has been in a gun free zone. Everyone knows they are gun free zones, even the crazies.

I was sitting in a restaurant with a friend a few weeks back, and it occurred to me that anyone who would come in and try to rob the place would be in for a surprise, my friend was packing, the jeweler two seats down was packing and the guy behind the counter was packing. And yet out of all the people in the restaurant we were the only four who probably know there were 3 guns on the premises. I do wonder though, if anyone else that was eating was carrying.

19. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +358
    So are we all in agreement on universal background checks?

We would make a 10x better Congress than the one we have now.

20. Raptorman

Ratings:
    +827
    Yes and no. A universal background check means if you want to sell a gun you your son you would need to do a background check. Currently I don't think the system could handle much more in background checks. Gets backed up as it is, from what I hear.

21. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,777
    You can't buy a gun on line and have it shipped to your house. You have to ship to a gun dealer. The buyer has to go to the gun shop and pick it up (usually a $25 fee) and they do a background check on you.

22. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,041
    When you have the same company selling guns in 3 public mass shootings online I think there needs to be stricter standards and enforcement. The NRAs attempt to keep down the ATF is shameful

23. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,041
    Sounds good to me. Actually it sounds responsible.

The NRA used to be in favor of universal background checks but then took a 180.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    I find it suspect that some people can't read very well. RE-READ my post, not buying fom me, buying from an authorized FFL gun shop owner/dealer. And YES, if you walk into any GUN shop and ask to buy something and you look like a vagrant, you aint getting jack sh!t. People who have the $$ to legally purchase a gun don't come into an establishment looking like trash and acting suspect.

25. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    Yup, that's what I was saying......some people were not reading properly.