Favre's status

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vikesrule said:
Tileman's my new hero.
Yup....i'm sure thats true, as ALL Vikings and Bears fans want Favre gone too!

Not quite cheesey. With Old Man Favre in there, it's interception picks for everybody.

Ya know he's going for "his" records......and a good time will be had by Lions, Bears, and Vikings.

It is just that Tileman is objective, kinda like Oannes.

Hell, I know that the Vikes have a long road to go, but most Packer Fans are living in a delusional world if they think that Favre is still the QB he once was.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
vikesrule said:
Tileman's my new hero.

Not quite cheesey. With Old Man Favre in there, it's interception picks for everybody.

Ya know he's going for "his" records......and a good time will be had by Lions, Bears, and Vikings.

Hell, I know that the Vikes have a long road to go, but most Packer Fans are living in a delusional world if they think that Favre is still the QB he once was.
See? These are the kinds of statements that irratate me. I don't think ANYONE here is saying Favre is as good as he was at his prime. But he is NO WHERE NEAR the scrap heap as some of those that hate him seem to think. I remember last season when Favre hit Donald Driver, and he left Darren Sharper in his wake. Did you like that throw Vikes? I bet you didn't!
Fact is, Favre is still the best bet for the Packers to win. He's not the best in the NFL anymore, i'm not blind enough to think that. But he's not washed up either. And if he gets SOME help from our defense, and the O line keeps improving, i happen to think he can still be effective.
Like i said.......the season will prove that either I'm right, or wrong.
But to throw him away and blame all the team's trouble on him, and thinking that replacing him now will improve the Packers to me is a joke.
JMO of course.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I can't speak for others.. but it isn't that the Packers won't exist without Favre as much as it is the best option that we currently have; period.

But running him down for the past two or so years of performance isn't really a fair measure with the overall status of the Packers offense. If you point to the Eagles games with the wounded duck pick or the Rams playoff game or such... that is on him. Just not sure anyone that couldn't run for his life would have done much better the past two years.

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vikesrule said:
cheesey said:
vikesrule said:
Tileman's my new hero.

See? These are the kinds of statements that irratate me. I don't think ANYONE here is saying Favre is as good as he was at his prime. But he is NO WHERE NEAR the scrap heap as some of those that hate him seem to think. I remember last season when Favre hit Donald Driver, and he left Darren Sharper in his wake. Did you like that throw Vikes? I bet you didn't!
Fact is, Favre is still the best bet for the Packers to win. He's not the best in the NFL anymore, i'm not blind enough to think that. But he's not washed up either. And if he gets SOME help from our defense, and the O line keeps improving, i happen to think he can still be effective.
But to throw him away and blame all the team's trouble on him, and thinking that replacing him now will improve the Packers to me is a joke.
JMO of course.

I agree with you on one part, replacing Favre now will not improve the Packers this year. They should have replaced him one or two years ago.
What is Favre going to accomplish this year to help the Packers?
Nothing, he is just postponing the inevitable. Then where will the Packers be?
Everything has, and is, centered around Favre. When he has gotten his records, he will leave, and the Packers will be starting from scratch.

I understand and admire your loyalty, but reality would dictate different.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
vikesrule said:
cheesey said:
vikesrule said:
Tileman's my new hero.

JMO of course.

I agree with you on one part, replacing Favre now will not improve the Packers this year. They should have replaced him one or two years ago.
Everything has, and is, centered around Favre. When he has gotten his records, he will leave, and the Packers will be starting from scratch.

Favre is going to accomplish the very things that you wish Tavaris would accomplish but can't because he sucks. So you follow your own advice right? Pat Williams is about at that age too, he's just "postponing the inevitable"...Darren Sharper too...Matt Birk too.

Favre is just an old washed up guy playing for his own selfish reasons and doesn't give a damn about the team, right? Wow...no wonder I've posted as little as I have the last six months or so around here.

When does the season start again? :soapbox:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
For anyone who just jumped into this thread. Favre's skills have declined. that's about the only thing you're gonna get out of this thread other than a non sense filled pissing match. in which I can **** thicker than all!

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vikesrule said:
cheesey said:
vikesrule said:
cheesey said:
vikesrule said:
Tileman's my new hero.

JMO of course.

Favre is going to accomplish the very things that you wish Tavaris would accomplish but can't because he sucks. So you follow your own advice right? Pat Williams is about at that age too, he's just "postponing the inevitable"...Darren Sharper too...Matt Birk too.

Favre is just an old washed up guy playing for his own selfish reasons and doesn't give a damn about the team, right? Wow...no wonder I've posted as little as I have the last six months or so around here.

ND, you base you observation on TJacks performance on his first season?
Seems to me that Favre's first season was far less than "stellar"

Phat Pat has 11 seasons under his belt, that is "real" close to the 16 of Favre.
Sharper also has 11 seasons.

The Favre era is dead and gone.
The younger Packer Fans have never known anything but Favre, so they don't want to let go.
Some the older Packer Fans don't want to let go, because they remember the "Pre-Favre" era, and afraid of returning to that.

That may well happen, on the other hand with a new QB, Rodgers/Martin or someone else, who knows maybe they could build a "team" and not rely on one individual.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
vikesrule said:
cheesey said:
vikesrule said:
cheesey said:
vikesrule said:
Tileman's my new hero.

JMO of course.

ND, you base you observation on TJacks performance on his first season?
Seems to me that Favre's first season was far less than "stellar"

Phat Pat has 11 seasons under his belt, that is "real" close to the 16 of Favre.
Sharper also has 11 seasons.

The Favre era is dead and gone.
The younger Packer Fans have never known anything but Favre, so they don't want to let go.
Some the older Packer Fans don't want to let go, because they remember the "Pre-Favre" era, and afraid of returning to that.

That may well happen, on the other hand with a new QB, Rodgers/Martin or someone else, who knows maybe they could build a "team" and not rely on one individual.

I base my observation on a 2nd year QB that has less than 1/2 of a season under his belt as a starter coming back to a team with less than stellar weapons on the offensive side of the ball.

Secondly, a defensive tackle playing for 11 seasons is a long time at that position...so yes, I consider it "real" close to Favre's 16. BTW, I still think Favre could play another 2-3 years if he chose to do so and at a high level.

Bottom line is that Favre is not the player he once was, but I'm not sure that he's declined any more than most players at the end of their careers...

This thread is about Favre's current status and I still see him in the top 10-15 QB's in this league right now.

jhensiak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"ND, you base you observation on TJacks performance on his first season?
Seems to me that Favre's first season was far less than "stellar""

Favre 1st season

Year GP GS Att Cmp Pct Yds Att TD Int Lg Rating
1992 GB 15 13 471 302 64.1 3,227 6.9 18 13 76t 85.3

Jackson 1st
Year Team G GS Att Comp Pct Yds YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate
2006 Minnesota V 4 2 81 47 58.0 475 5.86 50 2 4 8/37 7 1 62.5

Pro Rate that....Good luck this year....my prediction is Boller will start the last 8 games for the Vikes this year

Vikes record this year 3-13

Packula

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre is going to be starting this season, until someone can do the job better.

Why pound on the guy? Are you rooting against him?

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It may be two or three more years yet before someone comes along who can do the job better. Who knows, with Jennings developing and the OL solidifying, and our D getting stronger, Favre may just match his early 00s stats and not want to retire. If he does, I wouldn't want him to retire either.

Barring team injuries, I see Favre as having a much better year in '07 than last year.

Tileman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packula said:

It may be two or three more years yet before someone comes along who can do the job better. Who knows, with Jennings developing and the OL solidifying, and our D getting stronger, Favre may just match his early 00s stats and not want to retire. If he does, I wouldn't want him to retire either.

Barring team injuries, I see Favre as having a much better year in '07 than last year.

As far as Favre playing 2-3 more years, I don't think that's even close to a possibility. Him returning to his earlier high level of play is just wishful thinking by his devoted fan base IMO.

I look for him to play very similar to last year, he'll have a few decent games against the bottom feeding defenses, but being the schedule appears at this point to be far more difficult then last season, I think we'll see many more sub 60 passer rating games then above 70.

The Packers beat only one team with a winning record last year, and that team had absolutely nothing to play for.

Favre may in fact be the better starting QB on the team at this point, but that in no way makes him the better QB for the Packers future. Him continuing to play at a below average level, while Rodgers is setting on the bench getting zero experience is just pushing the learning curve back for the Packers offense of the future.

Kitna was the better starting QB when Palmer took over, but the Bengals knew Palmer was the future or at least they were hoping he was.

If Favre was playing at an above average level I wouldn't have a problem with him continuing to play, but he's not, and I do.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
lol

I was agreeing with you quite a bit and seeing your point clear as day, then you said this.
The Packers beat only one team with a winning record last year, and that team had absolutely nothing to play for.

The longest rivalry in pro sports is absolutely nothing? Do you not remember Lovie Smith on the podium stating his main concern is beating the Packers? Do you not recall Lovie Smith saying he did not want to go into the Playoffs on a loss that it is very important to go into the Playoffs on a positive note?

I suppose, that is absolutely nothing to play for though. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they were fighting tooth an claw here, but to say they rolled over, or imply as such is pure non sense. You PLAY to WIN the game.

The comments on Brett I can't much disagree with. I think his best years are behind him (duh, thats obvious) I don't expect to see any miracle games or games we can say "Brett played GREAT". I think he's going to be a good QB, but not much of a shadow of the QB he once was.

As I've said for a few years. I felt he was going to keep playing til this year and then retire. So if I'm right, he's going to be done this year.

I'd still rather have him as my QB than anyone else in the league though. I still enjoy watching him play. He has that excitement about him all the time. It's great to watch.

If he can curb his wild side a little bit when we're down in games ( and we will be in a few of them ) I think we'll be winning more.

edit, I do think he is above average QB in the league still. I've watched him play.

Tileman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol

I was agreeing with you quite a bit and seeing your point clear as day, then you said this.
Tileman said:

The longest rivalry in pro sports is absolutely nothing? Do you not remember Lovie Smith on the podium stating his main concern is beating the Packers? Do you not recall Lovie Smith saying he did not want to go into the Playoffs on a loss that it is very important to go into the Playoffs on a positive note?

I suppose, that is absolutely nothing to play for though. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they were fighting tooth an claw here, but to say they rolled over, or imply as such is pure non sense. You PLAY to WIN the game.

The comments on Brett I can't much disagree with. I think his best years are behind him (duh, thats obvious) I don't expect to see any miracle games or games we can say "Brett played GREAT". I think he's going to be a good QB, but not much of a shadow of the QB he once was.

As I've said for a few years. I felt he was going to keep playing til this year and then retire. So if I'm right, he's going to be done this year.

I'd still rather have him as my QB than anyone else in the league though. I still enjoy watching him play. He has that excitement about him all the time. It's great to watch.

If he can curb his wild side a little bit when we're down in games ( and we will be in a few of them ) I think we'll be winning more.

edit, I do think he is above average QB in the league still. I've watched him play.

I guess we have to agree to disagree. There is no way the players on the Bears were worried about the rivalry. hell most players no aren't with a team long enough to even learn about rivalries. If Lovie really was worried about winning he wouldn't have sat several of his starters in the second half. That win nice, but it only meant something to Packer fans, because it was meaningless to everyone else including Lovie.

You think Favre above average, that's fine, so do most Packer/Favre fans.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now it's comparing Favre to Jon Kitna?
Geez.....just when i think it can't get any more looney.
Kitna has NEVER been a great QB. So replacing him was a no brainer.

Favre is not as good as he once was, but is the best chance for the Packers to win this year, period. So WHY be so all fired up in a hurry to get rid of him? So that the unproven Rodgers can start? Yeah....i'm sure that would get them far this coming year.
Am I a Favre fan as well as Packer fan? YES.
But i will still be a Packer fan as long as i'm on this earth. There is PLENTY of years to watch the Packers without Favre. Just be patient Tileman. You will get your wish very soon.
Like the saying goes..........."The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence". I don't think the after-Favre that you are in such a hurry to see is gonna be so rosey.

Tileman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now it's comparing Favre to Jon Kitna?
Geez.....just when i think it can't get any more looney.
Kitna has NEVER been a great QB. So replacing him was a no brainer.

Talk about looney, who's comparing the 2. It's not about the past and he Favre use to play, it's about the now and the future.

Replacing any QB should be a no-brainer. Sure Favre was a 3 time MVP, what was it 9 years ago.

Replacing Favre or replacing Kitna should all be the same, both were/would be the better move for the future of the team.

Favre fans crack me up, they say Favre is the better QB right now, but when you give an example of a QB playing better that was benched for an unproven rookie, it's not good enough because Favre was better then the example. Of course he's not playing better but that makes no difference

Packula

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you posted about anything else besides trying to prove Favre is a rotten quarterback since you got here? Why are you so obsessed with it?

He's the quarterback for 2007. If someone can unseat him, they will play, either now or in 2008. Are you rooting against him, or for the Packers?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Have you posted about anything else besides trying to prove Favre is a rotten quarterback since you got here? Why are you so obsessed with it?

He's the quarterback for 2007. If someone can unseat him, they will play, either now or in 2008. Are you rooting against him, or for the Packers?

Maybe its that Oannes guy with a new name??

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

:agree:

Tileman - Favre in '07 is our best chance to win. I like to win. I don't like to lose. I can't speak for all Packer fans, but I think the majority feel like I do.

Now, if Favre decides in '08 that he still has it, but Aaron Rodgers gives us the best chance to win in '08, then I'll wish Favre the best of luck on the other team he plays on and continue rooting for him to win, unless he's playing the Packers.

As of now, the coaches feel like he's the best QB on the team, and no offense, but I trust the coaches more than I trust you.

EDIT - I should really check my spelling before posting.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Vikes - What is Favre going to accomplish this year to help the Packers? He'll win more games than Rodgers would. Or at least, that's what the coaches believe. That's why he's #1, Rodgers is #2, and Martin is #3. That may change next year.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well one thing is for sure and that is it must be nice to be a Bears fan these days.

They can come out the week of the game, say they want to win, play all the starters to make sure they don't make the same mistakes as the prior year, but, when they lose it was just a meaningless game.

Let's just forget that this could have just as easily been their fourth loss in a row and that they had been playing like crap winning by the hair on their little chinny, chin, chins. Great momentum going into the playoffs.

They were so consumed with confidence that they were sure getting their *** kicked against their biggest rival in this game would not mean much.

More realistically it was because Grossman sucked, which he tends to do when rushed, and by the time they got him out of there it was over. Our "D" was playing way to good for any comebacks.

So was it because they were already in or because Grossman sometimes plays like a college freshman? All I know is what I saw.

As far as Brett goes you take the good with the bad. We're we not fortunate that Brett stayed with us in '05 and '06? If Rodgers has what it takes we may never have found out if he would have been thrown to the wolves those two years. You think it was bad enough. You haven't seen bad until you add a young and inexperienced QB into that mix.

Brett sticking around was the best thing that could have happened for this team to get more experienced and for Rodgers himself to mature.

In the last two years the Packers we're not a team that could help a young QB with veterans and leadership and Rodgers was not ready to jump in there and help the Packers.

He'll get his chance and he and the team will be more prepared when that time comes. Why be in such a hurry when nothing I see says the time was right?

Tileman

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why do you care, why does it bother you that I don't hold Favre in the same regard as you. What, does it hurt your feeling that I'm no longer a fan of the way Favre plays the game?

BTW, not that I need to answer, but yes I have posted elsewhere at this site. Not that I understand why you care, because I certainly couldn't care less what you post about or where.

Tileman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well one thing is for sure and that is it must be nice to be a Bears fan these days.

They can come out the week of the game, say they want to win, play all the starters to make sure they don't make the same mistakes as the prior year, but, when they lose it was just a meaningless game.

Let's just forget that this could have just as easily been their fourth loss in a row and that they had been playing like crap winning by the hair on their little chinny, chin, chins. Great momentum going into the playoffs.

They were so consumed with confidence that they were sure getting their *** kicked against their biggest rival in this game would not mean much.

More realistically it was because Grossman sucked, which he tends to do when rushed, and by the time they got him out of there it was over. Our "D" was playing way to good for any comebacks.

So was it because they were already in or because Grossman sometimes plays like a college freshman? All I know is what I saw.

As far as Brett goes you take the good with the bad. We're we not fortunate that Brett stayed with us in '05 and '06? If Rodgers has what it takes we may never have found out if he would have been thrown to the wolves those two years. You think it was bad enough. You haven't seen bad until you add a young and inexperienced QB into that mix.

Brett sticking around was the best thing that could have happened for this team to get more experienced and for Rodgers himself to mature.

In the last two years the Packers we're not a team that could help a young QB with veterans and leadership and Rodgers was not ready to jump in there and help the Packers.

He'll get his chance and he and the team will be more prepared when that time comes. Why be in such a hurry when nothing I see says the time was right?

Hey, if you want to hang your hat on that Bears game being a big win, that's certainly up to you.

I loved the win, it was a fun game, but I guess I see it as beating a team that had absolutely nothing invested other then not getting injured and the fact that winning is more fun then losing. Do you seriously believe that an hour after the game they gave a crap about that loss? They had a bye and were in the playoffs.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree Pakula.
The guy is obsessed with wanting Favre gone. And thats fine with me........he has no say so in it, so it's not like MM is going to go "Oh MY! Tileman wants me to bench Favre! I'm gonna do that RIGHT NOW!"
So who really cares what he thinks?
I disagree with him, as i see you and many others here do.
Fact is......he's the starter this year, and no amount of pissing and moaning by a few "fans" is going to change that.
So i'm happy! :thumbsup:

Staff online

Latest posts