Favre's retiring

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today it finally hit me why i am still upset over Favre's exit.
I kind of feel like we were robbed of a chance to say goodbye in a proper way. I know this is a poor example, but it's kind of like a loved one dying, before you got to say goodbye. Had he returned for one more year, and announced it was his last year, we could have gave him a sendoff deserving of what he did all those years. Now, he's just gone.
Can you imagine how many stadiums would have been filled with Packer fans all over the country, if they knew it was their last chance to see him?
Now that can never happen, and in a way i think we feel cheated. Not that i blame him for retiring.
Here i got to see his last career win, and i didn't even know it at the time.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had been hoping for this exact, thing. Knowing and being able to have a after game celebration for his last home game.

Now I am hoping for week 1, MNF versus the Bears. Halftime celebration and after game party.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I certainly agree with the sentiment Cheesey. It's hard not to have been able to send him off into the sunset.

Keeping with the same analogy though - One could say the fans have said everything they need to say in terms of "goodbye" over the many seasons. You might say it's the best "goodbye" a sports start could expect.

Imagine what it's like to be him - seeing your jersey in every other seat, fans holding "4 ever" signs in the stands at every game (home and road). Not to mention a glossy video tribute from the networks prior to nearly every prime time game. What can be said that hasn't without every fan having him over for dinner (and boy would he get fat that way!!).

As the "Favre" watch proceeded each of the past few years I've debated myself which way he should go - how he did it or announce a "farewell season." In the end I'm glad he went out like he did. Give the fans and the team one final amazing show and decide "that's it" on his own terms.

Imagine what a circus a farewell tour would be? How much of a distraction it would be from the game - for Favre as well as the team. The chances of an '06 season repeat would be ripe and what would they pundits be saying after that? He's getting enough grief from some writers for "only" winning one Super Bowl and not quite making it to Arizona this season (ignoring the previous 274 games).

I'm sure the Packers will work something out that will allow the fans to express themselves fully - a "ceremonial coin toss" comes to mind :) (although I'm sure it will be a bit more than that)

No, it is difficult and will only get more difficult as the season nears and the reality is back in front of us. But he did get to leave on his own terms under nearly the perfect scenario following the '07 season. Yes we'll feel cheated - but truly only cheated out of watching him play more - because after all that's when it all came together.

mateus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I certainly agree with the sentiment Cheesey. It's hard not to have been able to send him off into the sunset.

Keeping with the same analogy though - One could say the fans have said everything they need to say in terms of "goodbye" over the many seasons. You might say it's the best "goodbye" a sports start could expect.

Imagine what it's like to be him - seeing your jersey in every other seat, fans holding "4 ever" signs in the stands at every game (home and road). Not to mention a glossy video tribute from the networks prior to nearly every prime time game. What can be said that hasn't without every fan having him over for dinner (and boy would he get fat that way!!).

As the "Favre" watch proceeded each of the past few years I've debated myself which way he should go - how he did it or announce a "farewell season." In the end I'm glad he went out like he did. Give the fans and the team one final amazing show and decide "that's it" on his own terms.

Imagine what a circus a farewell tour would be? How much of a distraction it would be from the game - for Favre as well as the team. The chances of an '06 season repeat would be ripe and what would they pundits be saying after that? He's getting enough grief from some writers for "only" winning one Super Bowl and not quite making it to Arizona this season (ignoring the previous 274 games).

I'm sure the Packers will work something out that will allow the fans to express themselves fully - a "ceremonial coin toss" comes to mind :) (although I'm sure it will be a bit more than that)

No, it is difficult and will only get more difficult as the season nears and the reality is back in front of us. But he did get to leave on his own terms under nearly the perfect scenario following the '07 season. Yes we'll feel cheated - but truly only cheated out of watching him play more - because after all that's when it all came together.
cheesy, sorry man but youve just been cheesed.
post of the pre-season mate, its spot on what all of us are thinking about this business. sad to see him go but the pack goes on.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I thought I'd feel cheated but I kind of started preparing for his retirement before the 2006 season. I started recording each game in case it was his last. I knew I'd most surely never see a player of the likes of Brett again and I wanted to capture as much of it as I possibly could. I recorded any and every special on him that I could and bought up every magazine that had I could get my hands on as well as video's.

Thinking more about it, I don't know how I could feel cheated. He gave warning to his retirement years ago. I mean, the off season was massive discussions about 'will he or wont he' till it was made public what his decision was.

Trying to think of it from Brett's view point, I think if he knew he was done and played another year he would have felt he cheated the organization and the team because he wouldn't be as committed as he would like to be.

Basically if he knew the end was coming, it would make things a lot more different. I wanted a year to send Brett off the right way, but you know what, he was sent off the right way. His last game was at Lambeau Field in front of over 70,000 fans cheering for him.

I'm not sad he's not playing anymore, I'm more thankful that I was able to grow up and watch one of the greatest NFL players ever throughout his entire career. I'm happy for Brett, he was able to leave the game on his terms, on top.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I prefer it this way. No fanfare, low key.
I've always thought those farewell tours were rather silly.
He'll be back to pay homage in some way to the fans, and vice versa.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not think he will pay homage this year, because IMO he will take the year off and do "nothing".

I felt alittle cheated as well Cheesy, but you know if he would have done something like announced that this would be his last season, he would have had to have many body guards on him, as it is their family didnt have to much privacy or should say normalcy and with the fans now knowing this would be his last year it would have been crazy.

I think what the fans should do on their very first game of the season is ALL wear #4 Jerseys in homage to Brett Favre that would be awesome, dont know what Rodgers would feel about that, but I think he would understand how the fans felt. Could you see EVERYONE in #4 Jerseys? That would be very cool.

I am still very sad that Brett retired, and still cannot believe he wont be on the field come opening day. But I just keep telling myself that eventually he was going to retire as hard as it would be. And now he can rest, and do family things that he has missed out on for so many years. He has given us so many fun and exciting football games and now its his time to do just plainly "nothing".

Now for a new Era to begin, God Bless Aaron Rodgers and our team.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I do not think he will pay homage this year, because IMO he will take the year off and do "nothing".

That would be his homage to the fans, but not this year.

"I think what the fans should do on their very first game of the season is ALL wear #4 Jerseys in homage to Brett Favre that would be awesome, dont know what Rodgers would feel about that, but I think he would understand how the fans felt. Could you see EVERYONE in #4 Jerseys? That would be very cool."

That would be the fans homage to him.
We agree, then.

OP
OP
C

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not mad at Favre or anything.......i just wish we could have been able to KNOW the end was here. I knew it was coming soon, but was not very prepared for it now. I would have accepted it more had he left after the previous season, where we were 8-8. Being one game from the Super Bowl lead me to think he would WANT to make one more run.
Believe me, it won't in ANY way make me not be a screaming loving Packer fan. It's too late for me to change now! :lol:
I know it is what it is, and complaining/wishing won't change what it is.
It just seemed to go by so fast.....kind of like when you are on a ride at an amusement park. It's always seems to end too fast.
I'll still be here.......just like i was P.F.
(pre Favre) :wink:

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of all the years of waiting for Brett to say if he was coming back I seemed to not worry about it this year figuring we got close to a Super Bowl and Brett had a great year, I thought for sure he would be back, I was in shock to hear he was retiring I had such mixed feelings, like why now? We could have gotton to the Super Bowl next year with him, I know it wasnt a guarantee but with Favre as QB we had a great chance to, I think IMO that is why everyone is disappointed. But maybe Brett thought he could go out in a high note with this past season being his best. I also think he was just plain tired, there had to be reasons because the man loves football and competing he wouldnt have retired without a good reason IMO.

I am so with you Cheesy on how you feel, but did the fans deserve to know a year before, sometimes I think yes they did because we have supported him. But then I think maybe we didnt need to know, because all these years we got to see the best QB make some great plays for us, I guess we just cherish those years.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know how you feel. Would have been nice to see him announce one more year and each game would have been magnificent.

Actually, I thought fo shizzle he'd return in '08, so I was saving up for a trip to GB. It didn't happen.

The thing is, I've read a million articles about his retirement, and I'm under the impression what he's saying is legit - he's just exhausted.

'07 was my 2nd favorite year watching the Packers (with '96 being the first and '03 being the 3rd). It was wonderful.

Now, all we can do is wish the best for Favre and wish for the Packers to keep their winning ways.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts