Favre's off-season preparation key to success

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By BOB McGINN
[email protected]
Posted: Feb. 2, 2007

It was the reason Favre decided to clean up his act in 1994 and '95 at a time when some of his own coaches advocated benching him and his career had reached the crossroads.

Favre didn't stop partying. That would come several years later.

What he did was work harder than he had been working. It meant Tuesdays during the regular season watching film in the office with quarterbacks coach Steve Mariucci instead of sitting around the house. And it meant pushing himself aerobically and in the weight room 12 months a year, which added muscle and tone to what long had been a flabby body.

The results - two Super Bowls, three MVP awards - were sensational, to say the least. But it never would have happened if Favre hadn't made up his mind to become far more professional in his approach.

The announcement by Favre on Friday that he would return for at least another season with the Green Bay Packers was greeted with exultation by many fans, and it should have been. Favre always has been an electrifying player to follow.

But soon the grim reality of what Favre will be trying to do in 2007 will hit him. How Favre handles it might well determine whether this was a good decision or a bad one.

Favre, who turns 38 in October, need not be intimidated by the fact that so many Hall of Fame and other distinguished quarterbacks hit the proverbial "wall" at that age. He is different from almost all the others because not since his car accident in 1990 has he suffered a major injury.

Last season, Favre didn't play his age. He still can feel and avoid the rush. He isn't a sitting duck. If he has physical limitations, they certainly were not apparent.

Nevertheless, Favre must come to grips with the fact that this might be the most difficult season of his illustrious career.

For one thing, expectations for the Packers will rise after they finished 8-8. For another, the schedule appears much more difficult. There will be 11 games against opponents that ranked among the top half of the league in total defense, including the majority of the eight contests against power teams from the AFC West and NFC East.

Favre can't control any of that. What he can control is how hard he works to prepare for the rigors ahead.

Two years ago, Favre hired a personal trainer in the spring and went on one of those core-workout programs. Last year, his workouts weren't as regimented.

Clearing brush, repairing fences and mowing fields are forms of physical activity. Having someone push you through several hours of intense workouts regularly is quite another.

At his age, Favre is going to have to work harder than ever before. That's how Jerry Rice played into his early 40s. Warren Moon, who retired at 44, also was a fitness buff with a 450-pound bench press.

Talent doesn't translate into longevity. Outworking the competition does.

There's really no alternative if Favre wants to avoid failure and return the Packers to prominence.

Given his health, Favre can play better than he did the past two seasons. But if Favre got himself in the greatest condition of his career he might run for a few more first downs or jack up his unsightly passer rating of 68.3 in the fourth quarter, when fatigue often becomes a factor.

Favre should attend more of the off-season program. He should be careful about not always going along with the coaches when they tell him to take days off during training camp. And if he would be a better player with ankle surgery, then he should undergo the surgery immediately.

None of it's going to be easy. The NFL is the most unforgiving of professional sports. On 16 days each year, players experience a rush like no other. Depending on one's point of view, the other 349 days can represent opportunity or drudgery.

Surely Favre can't do it alone on offense. General manager Ted Thompson either must re-sign Ahman Green or find a suitable running back to replace him. He doesn't have a tight end who can provide legitimate help in the passing game. He needs reinforcements at wide receiver. Fullback isn't a strength. And there is need for another good offensive lineman.

The return of Favre once more gives the Packers a significant advantage over their NFC North rivals at the most important position. With the youngest team in the NFL, they lost a tie-breaker for a playoff berth. They could, perhaps should, be better next year.

So much, however, will depend on Favre. How he proceeds from now until September might well determine how he does from September to December.

The easy part for Favre was deciding to play. The tough part is deciding how much this means to him and how hard he intends to push himself.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Surely Favre can't do it alone on offense. General manager Ted Thompson either must re-sign Ahman Green or find a suitable running back to replace him. He doesn't have a tight end who can provide legitimate help in the passing game. He needs reinforcements at wide receiver. Fullback isn't a strength. And there is need for another good offensive lineman.

Yes, a little more help like Denver gave Elway at the end of his career would be nice.

You can't put it all on Favre's shoulders....c'mon Ted..do your job now and come through for Favre and the Pack by signing some playmakers!

Reaction score
Very good read, and I agree with the premise that Favre has to work harder than the competition if he wants to be successful.

I wonder if he plans on hiring a trainer again...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Football, the ultimate TEAM game, of course no one man can do it alone.
Ted has beeing doing an adequate job thus far, lets see him hire Brett a personal trainer now ... :wink:

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think Favre has already undertaken this process by hiring a core trainer last year....

I really don't get the point of this article. I think Favre's conditioning was pretty good last year. He moved around in the pocket well...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I agree, he did move around well. He hired a trainer for the 2005 season. He didn't hire one for the 2006 season. Atleast not to my knowledge.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As we age, it is normal for our reactions to slow, our bodies begin to take longer to heal and past injuries tend to become a bigger issue. Favre has done a great job in keeping his body in top shape. That man can take beating and he has. For hijm to continue being great he's going to have to continue to take care of his body, but he also has to use his wisdom in beating teams with his brains and knowledge, not just his arm. I think the past two seasons I've probably written 100 times, he has to make the right play more often than the great play. With the talent that he has surrounding him he just can't make that great play with any consistency anymore because the player on the other end of the great play has tobe able to complete the play. Brett can beat a lot of team with his experience, he doesn't need to do it trhying to make the great play all the time, just make the right play.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts