Favre's last throw

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Packers_Finland said:
I'm not bashing Favre on anything. He's one of the Top5 QB's of the league IMO. In my opinion that was a bad throw. But everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Yeah, there's a reason the only Packer Jersey hanging up in my room is a Favre one. However, I'm not going to kiss his butt. He has underperformed in two really cold games this year and two younger quarterbacks that I don't think are really very good played much better then him. He looked incredibly cold last game and didn't seem to have much fire.

Pretty much what I'm saying is, I want him to do better in those conditions next year . . or we might be looking at the same kind of results . . .

DoddPower

Reaction score
Oh yeah, and he went from being rated an 89 on madden at the beginning of the year to a 94 now!! Not too shabby huh?

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as you stick to the truth Dodd, and don't try to embellish or place too much (all) of the blame on Favre (as you AntiFavre-ites) tend to do!

Does Favre make some mistakes?

Yes, all football players do. Even your heroes Tom Brady and Peyton Manning make mistakes....

For some reason though, certain Packer fans here really want to "stick it" to Favre beyond all reason...

"Favre is the reason we lost the game. It is on him and him alone", is the attitude.

Well...no.... that's not true at all...because as many have already pointed out, the defense had a hand in the loss, as well as the running game...Ruvell Martin's dropped pass....McCarthy...etc...etc...

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Favre is the reason we lost the game. It is on him and him alone", is the attitude..

I really, really. Really, don't think anyone here is saying that. What I see is you, telling people that that is what they think. You're projecting that attitude onto people who don't have that attitude.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers_Finland said:
I'm not bashing Favre on anything. He's one of the Top5 QB's of the league IMO. In my opinion that was a bad throw. But everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Yeah, there's a reason the only Packer Jersey hanging up in my room is a Favre one. However, I'm not going to kiss his butt. He has underperformed in two really cold games this year and two younger quarterbacks that I don't think are really very good played much better then him. He looked incredibly cold last game and didn't seem to have much fire.

Pretty much what I'm saying is, I want him to do better in those conditions next year . . or we might be looking at the same kind of results . . .

Really Bozz?

And just what is this post telling you, then?

(...and I can dig up a ton more posts that really overly blame Favre for this loss and don't mention the poor performance by the rest of the team at all....People don't understand that it's hard for a QB to perform well when the rest of the team doesn't. (see Peyton Manning's loss this year in the playoffs as a case in point) But what's the point, you may say..?)

The point is to insert a little objectivity and reality into these posts so we can get beyond it, and so we don't have posters saying that Favre single handedly lost us the NFC Championshiop game last year---and you know there are those who will be saying it...over and over.....

Hell, Toddy posted the picture of the play, (visual evidence) and there are STILL people saying that Jennings was wide open, which was simply not the case....

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i just think there's a difference between not being satisfactorily objective and saying that Favre single-handedly lost us the NFC championship. There's some middle ground, i think. For instance, maybe i am not objective enough for you, but i certainly do not, repeat DO NOT, think Favre single-handedly lost the game for us. I think he played far below his capabilities, while realizing that the rest of our team did so as well. I also think Coughlin coached possibly his best game ever, and McCarthy coached a poor game. I still love Brett. I want to figure out how to keep him warm in his old age, and I still really really really like what I have seen out of Rodgers. Middle ground?

And i see you speaking in black and white, but I think most people here just want some sort of acknowledgment of some middle ground, recognizing that our team played poorly, and whichever player is the focal point of your offense, if the team and that player do well, he will get the better share of accolades, but when the team plays bad, he will take the better share of the heat. is that right? Is that wrong? It's neither. We can't just generalize things as one or the other. It is what it is, not right, not wrong. That's just how this beautiful game works.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, fine.

I think Brett wasn't bad in the first half.
2 TD's, and a FG.
(Some people make it sound like he stunk the whole game, but apparently, he didn't in the 1st half since he had over 100 qb rating...)

It was the 2nd half where they got shut down by the Giants D...2nd and long...3rd and long...and they had no answers...

I mean, there's only so much a QB can do when his offense is rendered one dimensional in those conditions...

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i can't delete this post, so i will just edit it. it sounded stupid. i don't think we need to get into a philosophical debate about objectivity.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It really wasn't a terrible read by Favre. The coverage was very good for the route (for the Pack), with DD being manned up and the safety being too far away to affect play.

It really was just a bad throw. The pass should have been much further to the outside so that it is either DD or nobody making the catch. The ball needed to be up over the top of DD's outside shoulder, instead it ended up about 5 yards off target to the inside.

Favre certainly realizes he didn't make a good throw.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
"Favre is the reason we lost the game. It is on him and him alone", is the attitude..

I really, really. Really, don't think anyone here is saying that. What I see is you, telling people that that is what they think. You're projecting that attitude onto people who don't have that attitude.

and BINGO was his name-o.

I still blame the majority of the game on Al "Ahmad Carroll" Harris. What a bad time to play your worst 60 minutes of football.

Sure Favre wasn't good, and Grant didn't do much, and you can blame that on the coaches too, but Al Harris....you son of a *****. I'm not speaking to you ANY MORE! STOP CALLING ME!

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great, I just got this sent to my email from a Giants fan who is a friend of mine! How timely and how pertinent!

See what I mean Bozz about objectivity?

Now all of the Favre bashers across Packerland are going to have a field day all year, spreading their lies and inaccuracies thinking that all of these guys were "wide open", but Favre "boneheadedly" throws it to the ony guy that is completely covered....

You see how you can be objective, or not objective, depending on your specific agenda?

Do you see what happens when "fans" don't understand the game of football?
:doh:

Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 2:06 PM
Subject: Packers - You probably don't want to see this...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dad and Mark,

A Packers fan at work sent the below picture to me. It gives a nice snapshot of how the play in overtime, in which the Giants intercepted the ball, was developing. You can see that Bret Favre had a couple of other options that could have gone for big plays for the Packers

You probably don't want to see this...

This time a view from behind the line of scrimmage.
Throw the left sideline, maybe Jennings gets a touchdown.
Catch Donald Lee crossing the middle… good shot at a first down.
Check down to Ryan Grant five yards past the line of scrimmage, who knows how far he goes.
The yellow circle is the football in flight and there is your dagger as Wayne says.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2218951294&size=l

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Favre loses his focus, like he did in those two cold games, he doesn't go through his reads. Had he dumped the ball off to Grant I'm not sure anyone could have tackled him and perhaps it would have been GB in the SuperBowl. We all understand that when Brett doesn't play great, we're pretty average, but on the other hand,I expect great things from our Hall of Fame QB. I know it was probably just a bad throw, but it was also a bad read from a guy who can read defenses.

DoddPower

Reaction score
When you have a career like Brett have, you set the bar pretty high, and when you don't live up to that, people are disappointed.

Any football fan that watched the game knows that Brett wasn't THE reason that we lost the game. That's a non-sense thing to say and you trying to put words in peoples mouth is ridiculous. If you want anyone to take you seriously you should stop trying to put words in peoples mouth (errr fingers??).

The bottom line is, I just expected a better game from Brett. Yes, I also expected a better game from the rest of the team, but after all, this is pretty much a Favre threat, as it's titled "Favre's Last Throw."

VAPAckerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WoW the whole time i was looking in the stands tring to find the Bikini girls. Didn't even notice this was the packers last play of the game :p :p :p :p

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The deal is that there was a lot of crap spewed lat the beginning of this year about Favre saying that he should "retire", "he lost it", "he doesn't have the arm strength anymore", "he's holding the team hostage", yada, yada, yada....(more **** than was ever said about Rodgers), and I would hate to see that garbage start up again....

Or are you going to say "that nobody said that last year, and I am putting those words in people mouths"....

Believe me...you know that people talk alot of s**t about Brett Favre, or do you rationalize by claiming thats because you "expect alot from him"...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The deal is that there was a lot of crap spewed lat the beginning of this year about Favre saying that he should "retire", "he lost it", "he doesn't have the arm strength anymore", "he's holding the team hostage", yada, yada, yada....(more **** than was ever said about Rodgers), and I would hate to see that garbage start up again....

And what better way to let it die than to bring it up every other post.

Good work.

J_J_kewl_aids

Cheesehead
Reaction score
man. i didnt know how open those guys where.

we had alot of opportunities to win. they lost as a team. (starts crieing)

DoddPower

Reaction score
Fuzznuts said:

And what better way to let it die than to bring it up every other post.

Good work.

LMAO!!

I know right. I didn't see anyone talking about any of that at all, but he is sure to bring it up.

Bottom line is, I wasn't one of those people saying those things about Favre. I truly believe he still had "it." But I stick to my point . . . . that doesn't change my opinion that I expect quite a bit out of him and when he doesn't live up to what I KNOW he's capable of, it's disappointing.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Fuzznuts said:

and BINGO was his name-o.

I still blame the majority of the game on Al "Ahmad Carroll" Harris. What a bad time to play your worst 60 minutes of football.

Sure Favre wasn't good, and Grant didn't do much, and you can blame that on the coaches too, but Al Harris....you son of a *****. I'm not speaking to you ANY MORE! STOP CALLING ME!

He did have some bad moments, however it wasn't all on him. Call him Trom and apologize for ignoring his phone calls :lol: .

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzznuts said:
Big deal..

If you REALLY look at the play..you can see a Giant defender collapsing the pocket on Favre's left....

Ryan Grant is breaking free AFTER the ball is in the air to Driver....

It was a bad call, a tough throw, on a bitterly cold and windy night and the primary receiver is running an out route....

Favre admitted publicly that he didn't get enough on it...
Aikman said that it looked like the wind knocked it down...

Congratulations....you get the award for.....

Exactly what is your point, again? :doh:

He's posting the picture. What is wrong with that? It was clearly a poor throw. Anyone can see that. It's not as if we're not allowed to take a look at the play. I'm sure if Favre could travel back in time he'd do something different but that's football.

What's wrong with that you ask ?

It is not showing where everyone was at the time of the throw ( a few seconds earlier ) and therefore is not an actual reflection of Brett's decision making at the second he passed the ball !!!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Toddy said:
Here it is with the ball still in Favre's hand, he's just about to throw it.

Well there goes the notion of going back 2 sec cuz no one would be open..

DD was covered MORE then any one else..Jennings was breaking free, and Grant was wide open and already looking for the ball..

Was Dd the 1st read? I am not sure cuz if he was still would have been a good call to pass it there...He had about 10-15 yards to break past Webster..

However, I believe Brett was going to throw it to DD's shoulder near the sideline, which would have been the right way to throw it..but being as cold as it was, he couldnt grip it properly, or the wind might have pushed it down some, and thats why it was intercepted..

Packers_Finland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've thrown football without gloves in -25 celsius. Doesn't affect my throw in almost any way. I think it was because of the wind, that the pass was bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts