Favre's last throw

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
wow, didn't realize how open almost everyone was. why didn't ya just check it down Favre!!

=(

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big deal..

If you REALLY look at the play..you can see a Giant defender collapsing the pocket on Favre's left....

Ryan Grant is breaking free AFTER the ball is in the air to Driver....

It was a bad call, a tough throw, on a bitterly cold and windy night and the primary receiver is running an out route....

Favre admitted publicly that he didn't get enough on it...
Aikman said that it looked like the wind knocked it down...

Congratulations....you get the award for.....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Exactly what is your point, again? :doh:

OP
OP
W

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big deal..

If you REALLY look at the play..you can see a Giant defender collapsing the pocket on Favre's left....

It was a bad call, a tough throw, on a bitterly cold and windy night and the primary receiver is running an out route....

What is your problem? Of course it's not all on Favre. I see the defender collapsing the pocket. Favre admitted he made a mistake. Why can't you admit that he made a bad decision AND throw? I didn't want to make this into a Favre bashing thread...stop being so defensive.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really..why did you post it then?

You seem to have gotten the reaction you wanted out of DoddPower....

But just think for a minute if this were film...You would have to back each player up about 2 or 3 steps, and if you do that, people don't appear to be too open....

That's what people seem to forget...these decisions have to be made in 2-3 seconds by Favre on where to throw the ball. In good conditions...he makes that difficult throw, no problem!

People forget that he doesn't have Tom Brady time back there which is about 5-7 seconds....an eternity in terms of time for a QB to find an open receiver..!

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can someone PHOTOSHOP the words F-A-V-R-E on this poor horse?

I think it would be more effective...and accurate for some of these posters here...
:lol:

thanks!

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a bad throw but not a bad decision. When Brett actually started to throw the ball, neither Grant nor Lee had made there breaks yet.

At the time the ball was thrown DD was probably the best option. Some type of out route with a CB playing inside position. The ball was in a bad place.

Fan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You need to pull back a couple of frames, to the one before he winds up to release the ball. My guess is that at this point, Brett has already realized that 1) Donald was breaking to the outside instead of the inside, and 2) he hadn't gotten enough on the ball. Showing where the ball was at this point does not good at all.

Hindsight is always 20-20 vision.

Had he thrown the ball to GJ, and not gotten enough on it, it would have been the other cb's opportunity to make a play.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Lets break this play down just a bit more..

1) Ball is in the air at the moment of the pic and as you can see the safeties are reacting already.. so how much let off is there on the other coverages already, probably appears that the crosser is more open than at release the others, probably not....

2) When the ball was released Grant hadn't released yet.. too bad he didn't release a couple of seconds earlier.. game set match if he was lead into the flat.

3) Jennings on the wiggle.. Watching the live tape.. that looked to be the cleaniest route.. but Usi was comming from that side along with the inside stunt.. could Favre step up and deliver the ball over the coverage.. would have been a tough throw without being able to step up and put some zip on it.

4) Watch the live footage, Driver never sold the route anywhere but the out.. in coverage it was an easy route to jump.. very poor route for a veteran wide reciever, almost like the play wasn't designed to go that way and Driver didn't sell it as hard as he normally does.

5) It was a bad decision on Brett's part, with the backers engaging like they did, he should have known that Grants flare was going to be open.

In summary IMO.. it is a team game, it was a team loss and we can dice it a million times over.. but we lost. Time to buckle up and prepare for next season.

It should have never come down to this play in the first place.. we had our chances and we didn''t get it done.

OP
OP
W

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can someone PHOTOSHOP the words F-A-V-R-E on this poor horse?

I think it would be more effective...and accurate for some of these posters here...

thanks!

Why don't we also make a photoshop with the name RODGERS on it too? I think it would be more effective...and accurate for some of the posters here...

thanks!

Seriously, I wasn't trying to get a rise out of anyone about the pic. I just thought people might want to see it. That's all.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Seriously, I wasn't trying to get a rise out of anyone about the pic. I just thought people might want to see it. That's all.

I thought it was a great pic and I love that angle.. wish they would show more action via the fox camera than the sidelines..

Thanks for sharing.. and it really gives you are good prespective of what Favre was seeing.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's easy to take a still photo of something like that and pick it apart. Favre didn't have that luxery, or time to do so. In "real life" it was a couple of seconds.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big deal..

He's posting the picture. What is wrong with that? It was clearly a poor throw. Anyone can see that. It's not as if we're not allowed to take a look at the play. I'm sure if Favre could travel back in time he'd do something different but that's football.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with it........I actually enjoyed seeing what was there. But it DOES make me sick! :(

DoddPower

Reaction score
Fuzznuts is just annoying. Of course it's easier to look back on and obviously the ball is already in the air during this pictures. That's probably why it's circled. However, I would have rather him just take a sack. We, as fans, have every reason to analyze this play, and any others for as long as we want, really, especially since it hasn't even been a WEEK since the game. It's not really beating a dead horse, it's just discussion. If this discussion bothers you Fuzznuts, then ignore it and go elsewhere. Your cynical comments will not stop anyone from discussing things.

Favre made a bad throw. Does that mean that we don't like Favre in any way? No, it doesn't. It's just simply truth. If one doesn't accept and learn from the past, they are destined to repeat the same mistakes in the future. It's the off season and we don't have a whole lot else to discuss right now anyway.

I for one thank wils for posting this picture. I think it is very neat and would love to see more photos like this of different key plays. I love Favre to death, but some people are just a little too "homer" with him and I can definitely understand why non-packer fans get sick of hearing about him. Like the old cliche states, a quarterbacks greatness is measured by what he does in the playoffs, and Favre didn't live up to his great season in this game. Say what you will about the weather, his age, the giants d, it really doesn't matter. A great quarterback will make it happen one way or another. I DO believe Favre is still great, but in the 2nd half of this game, he was not. Plain and simple.

With that being said, here's to next year!

=)

packersfan4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry but that picture shows me nothing. The ball was already in the air, so there is no way to see where the other "open" players were at that time. If you could get it a second earlier that would be a more telling picture.

packersfan4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry but that picture shows me nothing. The ball was already in the air, so there is no way to see where the other "open" players were at that time. If you could get it a second earlier that would be a more telling picture.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree......by the time that photo was snapped, the play was already over.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzznuts is just annoying. Of course it's easier to look back on and obviously the ball is already in the air during this pictures. That's probably why it's circled. However, I would have rather him just take a sack.

=)

If that were the case, he's be taking a sack on every play!
QB's have to throw into tight coverage alot in the NFL. Receivers don't get "wide open" often..

I'll stick by Aikman's assessment. "It looked like the wind blew it down".

Maybe not, maybe he just couldn't get enough on it because of the weather. Eli Manning had several bad balls thrown too..

It happens.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DoddPower said:
Fuzznuts is just annoying. Of course it's easier to look back on and obviously the ball is already in the air during this pictures. That's probably why it's circled. However, I would have rather him just take a sack.

=)

If that were the case, he's be taking a sack on every play!
QB's have to throw into tight coverage alot in the NFL. Receivers don't get "wide open" often..

I'll stick by Aikman's assessment. "It looked like the wind blew it down".

Maybe not, maybe he just couldn't get enough on it because of the weather. Eli Manning had several bad balls thrown too..

It happens.
Yes, Eli did. Some of them were amazing catches by "Plexiglass".

DoddPower

Reaction score
Either way, it just bothers me to think that Eli Manning and Plexiglass where able to make it look easier the Greg Jennings, Brett Favre, and Donald Driver.

Do I think they are actually more talented then our bunch? No. which just leads me to believe that maybe, just maybe the giants wanted it more . . coaching staff included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts