Favre's Best Team

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Favre was pretty damn funny when he said that this Viking team was the most talented NFL team he's ever played on. I mean, is he going to say that about every team he plays on now? He said the exact same thing about the last Packer team he played on. Does he really think they're better than the '96 Superbowl champion Packers? Either the wily vet Favre said this as a motivator for his team for this week's game, or we can add dementia to his list of strong suits.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Brett said it was the most TALENTED team in 07??

Now he is saying this Viking team is the BEST

I know Gilbert Brown along with few other older players wants to be at the game to confront him with that....heard it on radio today

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett said it was the most TALENTED team in 07??

Now he is saying this Viking team is the BEST

I know Gilbert Brown along with few other older players wants to be at the game to confront him with that....heard it on radio today

I hope Gilbert brings his shovel!

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would honestly say, how many rings do the 2009 vikings have? How many rings did the 1996 Packers have? I say its 1-0 to the 1996 Packers right now.
2009 season is not over yet so I don't follow your post. I wouldn't count the Vikings out at this point of the season.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's exacly because it's not over that he cannot say what he did. Because 96 IS over and they emerged the winners, with the best D in the league, best ST in the league, AND the best Offense in the league. Until this Vikings come close to do that, it's not an argument.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Favre was pretty damn funny when he said that this Viking team was the most talented NFL team he's ever played on. I mean, is he going to say that about every team he plays on now? He said the exact same thing about the last Packer team he played on. Does he really think they're better than the '96 Superbowl champion Packers? Either the wily vet Favre said this as a motivator for his team for this week's game, or we can add dementia to his list of strong suits.

It is pretty doggone talented lot, minus horrible safeties and a few questionable O-lineman.

Anyhow, is he supposed to say something like the following: "Ya know, this team is decent, but our safeties are awful, two of our O-lineman cannot run-block to save their lives, and All Day is about as impatient a back (causing many negative to little gain rushing plays) as you'll find in the NFL."

You guys have to be able to comprehend shoddy journalism pieces that take the speaker out of context. I mean, it's been happening with the drive-by media for nearly 30 years now. I would think most people would adapt, improvise and overcome, but apparently I couldn't be more wrong.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That just shows your lack of Knowledge as I think we have one of the Best O-lines in the game. Where is our weakness on that line?McKinney,loadholt,Hutchinson, Herrara and sullivan is a Huge,young and talented group if you ask me. Ask the Packers about the protection Favre got on Monday night. 7-8 seconds as pointed out on TV.

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said in another post that he is just trying to make his team more confident.
One other thing, he said it's the most "talented" not the best team he's been on. There is a big difference between the two.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I said in another post that he is just trying to make his team more confident.
One other thing, he said it's the most "talented" not the best team he's been on. There is a big difference between the two.

Favre: 'This Is The Best Team I've Ever Been On' - Sports News Story - WISC Madison

Favre spoke to reporters about the 2009 Minnesota Vikings."This is the best team I've ever been on," said Favre.

Sorry angry guy but your VERY wrong

I swear sometimes I wish people would double check facts before saying things

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, Favre did specifically say the Best team. I don't think that many people would've gotten caught up in his comments if he would've said "talented".

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Hell, that's just the slack-jawed Mississippi hick talking through his ***. One of the many things that Holmgren taught him was the misdirection play with the media...and frankly, he's just run out of **** to say that's original after all these years.

Bottom line is that the '96 Green Bay Packers won the Super Bowl. The '97 Green Bay Packers went to the Super Bowl. The 1995 Green Bay Packers 'should' have gone to the Super Bowl. Until the 2009 Minnesota Vikings win the Super Bowl, the comparisons are a waste of bandwidth...and, even if they do win the Super Bowl, the comparisons are STILL a waste of bandwidth.

I mean, #4's opinion is really worth at least a bucket of warm spit in that he can't make up his flippin' mind on ANYTHING ...

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw a good article on fox sports comparing the two teams. It went something like this:
RB: Peterson is very very good. Advantage: Vikings
DLine: Reggie had something like 8 sacks. Allen has that in half a season. Williams wall is good. Advantage: Vikings
TE: Vishanco is having a good year, but Jackson had like 11 TDs. Chumura was ok. Advantage: Packers
WR: Vikings are young. Advantage: Packers
Def Secondary: Advantage: Packers
Linebackers: Both units are solid, not spectacular. Advantage: Push
OLine: (i dont remember, sorry)
QB: (96 favre vs 09 favre) I thik that the article gave the advantage to 09 favre.

The article gave the 09 vikings the advantage.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That just shows your lack of Knowledge as I think we have one of the Best O-lines in the game. Where is our weakness on that line?McKinney,loadholt,Hutchinson, Herrara and sullivan is a Huge,young and talented group if you ask me. Ask the Packers about the protection Favre got on Monday night. 7-8 seconds as pointed out on TV.

You're not thinking clearly. The Vikings O-line is not the best run-blocking O-line by any stretch and please be advised I said RUN-BLOCKING O-LINE.

How many no-gain runs did All Day have again today? Answer: More than he should have.

Alkalin3trio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im a huge packer fan but i will have to admit, this probably is the best team he has ever played on. even in '96, the only HOF on that team besides BF was reggie white. the O was pretty much all BF. still a great team by all accounts, finished the year #1 on both sides of the ball BUT this MIN is pretty damn good. AP is the best running back BF has EVER had, the o-line is quality, wr's are probably as good as they were in 96' team (come on, BF made freeman a good wr). the D on the 96' was excellent but this MIN D is up there this year. once they get winfield back they're pass D will be better, that line is insane, and the LB are athletic. not saying it isnt close but i bet favre wishes he was 28 again on this MIN team

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I saw a good article on fox sports comparing the two teams. It went something like this:
RB: Peterson is very very good. Advantage: Vikings
DLine: Reggie had something like 8 sacks. Allen has that in half a season. Williams wall is good. Advantage: Vikings
TE: Vishanco is having a good year, but Jackson had like 11 TDs. Chumura was ok. Advantage: Packers
WR: Vikings are young. Advantage: Packers
Def Secondary: Advantage: Packers
Linebackers: Both units are solid, not spectacular. Advantage: Push
OLine: (i dont remember, sorry)
QB: (96 favre vs 09 favre) I thik that the article gave the advantage to 09 favre.

The article gave the 09 vikings the advantage.

forgot SP

I think in the video of Americas game of 96 packers Brett specifically said with out Desmond they dont get to the SB

RK.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys seem to forget that BF went 6-0 to begin the season this year. The best start he has ever had in his carreer. And but for a tipped ball that fell the Steelers way at the end of that game we could be 8-0. Thats why he thinks this is the best team he has played on.

The difference in our two teams is when our new owners came in and hired Childress our new coach they concentrated on building our team from the lines up. We got guys like Hutchinson and Jared Allen etc.. What we have been missing the last couple of years is a QB. This year we went out and got a future HOF QB who can still play like one. It has been the missing piece for our team. I will admit it has been a bit of a mind game having to switch from cheering against Favre all these years to cheering for him. But when you put on the Purple you become a Viking. Just like when you put on the cheese you become a Packer. :)

Rodgers is a good QB and maybe will be a great one if you can protect him. So far you are not doing that against good teams like the Vikes. Actually not doing that good a job against lesser teams either. Great teams have great lines. Thats why we are where we are this season and why you are where you are.

Hendogg33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
'96 packers may not have been filled with Superstars but with the way they came together they were the best Unit that the NFL would see that year. How they worked together to improve each others game and make each other better is what made them special. The minister of Defense might not have had a career year sacks-wise BUT he did apply pressure and take on double teams to free up linebackers to make plays. Also to say hat 09 favre >'96 favre is just wrong. In '96 favre had one of his best statistical seasons (and broke the packers single season passing TD record with 39) so 09 favre (though he is playing some phenomenal football right now) has a lot of work to do if he wants to stack up to '96 favre.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
96 Packers defense was far superior. I already posted the comparables a week or so ago. Minnesota has a horrible secondary and it really affects their ability to step on an opponent's neck. With the 96 Packers and Butler anchoring the secondary, this was seldom an issue.

Minnesota will not reach the Super Bowl until they address the secondary, which might take another off-season.

If you don't believe me, look it up on NFL.com and look at Green Bay's 1996 all-around D-rankings and then the 2009 Vikings' stats. It ain't even close.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...sonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...sonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
'96 packers may not have been filled with Superstars but with the way they came together they were the best Unit that the NFL would see that year. How they worked together to improve each others game and make each other better is what made them special. The minister of Defense might not have had a career year sacks-wise BUT he did apply pressure and take on double teams to free up linebackers to make plays. Also to say hat 09 favre >'96 favre is just wrong. In '96 favre had one of his best statistical seasons (and broke the packers single season passing TD record with 39) so 09 favre (though he is playing some phenomenal football right now) has a lot of work to do if he wants to stack up to '96 favre.

It's a difficult comparison for several reason ... - The 1996 Packers won the Super Bowl, but went into the play-offs being 13-3 ... The Bronco's entered from a 12-4 ...

It can be argued both ways ..., however the 1996 will probably still be regarded as the "best" of those two teams, unless the Vikings manage to win a Super Bowl this year. Because even if the Vikings should manage a 14-2 or better regular season record, - it could be argued that the 09 Vikings is indeed better than the 1996 Packers, one important thing will still be missing ... - The Super Bowl Win ...

Once in the play-offs, anything can happen ... - Just ask the 16-0 Patriots ...

Season / Super Bowl Winner / Regular Season:

2008 Pittsburg Steelers (entered the play offs with a 12-4)
2007 NY Giants (entered with a 10-6)
2006 Indianapolis Colts (entered with a 12-4)
2005 Pittsburg Steelers (11-5)

So there are alot of ways to determine "Best" team really ... But looking at the "factual" composition of the two teams 1996 Packers vs. the 2009 Vikings ... - More than likely ... when you look at the entire team ... - Alot of arguements *could* be made that the 2009 are in fact the "better" team, however ... untill or IF the 2009 Vikings actually manages to win a Super Bowl, that comparison will be kinda moot ...

Members online

Latest posts