Favre won’t be able to say goodbye

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
If you trust all the rumor and innuendo surrounding The Beloved One, then you should believe he’s finishing the first draft of his retirement speech right about now.

As we understand, Brett Favre remains back at his ol’ Waffle House in Mississippi, his favorite tune from The Clash playing over and over on his iPod: Should I stay or should I go.

Favre, allegedly, made it pretty clear he was looking forward to March Madness. His thinking was his team, with many needs and more than $30 million in cap room to cure them, would be making deals faster than Gordon Gekko.

Every time Packers General Manager Ted Thompson would strike a deal, smoke would emit from Lambeau Field and Favre would know his team was performing as he wished, which in turn would entice him to return for a 15th season in Green Bay.

But one week into the flesh grab, the Packers have only grabbed two fresh ones, inking Seattle safety Marquand Manuel and St. Louis defensive tackle Ryan Pickett.

Thompson has re-signed six of his own: end Aaron Kampman, tackle Kevin Barry, running back Ahman Green, receiver Rod Gardner, long snapper Rob Davis and fullback William Henderson.

But be it that the Packers are coming off that putrid 4-12 year, this may not necessarily be considered a good thing.

Now if you’re Favre, and you’re watching all these teams rush in to sign up help and your club has maneuvered with the speed of a sunset, what’s making you believe things have gotten a whole lot better?

Not only that, but your buddy and key offensive weapon, Ryan Longwell, has left for Minnesota, and the chances of replacing him at equal or greater value are as likely as Ahmad Carroll becoming an All-Pro. So you have to be wondering exactly how your team has, or will, get better.

, No doubt you’ve noticed, too, that no offensive guards have been signed, and the Packers have decided that Barry might be, could be, a starter there.

And we won’t even get into the whole Javon Walker thing.

So for a team that finished tied for the third-worst record in all of football, their actions would not lead you to believe a miracle transformation is in the making.

But that’s better than OK. Thompson has a plan, and he won’t defer no matter who’s watching and waiting. Build mainly through the draft, which is the most sensible route, and choose your free agents wisely so as to not mortgage your team’s future, which is really smart.

Where this leaves Favre, as usual, is anybody’s guess. Only he knows what moves he thinks the Packers need, or needed, to make him comfortable enough to return.

He clearly wants to play, but has indicated he wants no part of another hopeless season. (Memo to Brett: Something less than 29 interceptions would go a long way in making 2006 less fruitless.)

As Decision Day inevitably nears, the guess is no matter what the Packers’ roster looks like, he will come to the realization he’s simply not ready to walk away from the game, or the team, he loves so much.

Mike Woods writes for The Post-Crescent of Appleton. E-mail him at [email protected]

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again.....it's just another writer trying to fill his needed quota of articles. So.......next week.......he writes why Favre will be back.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Once again.....it's just another writer trying to fill his needed quota of articles. So.......next week.......he writes why Favre will be back.

Bah, go buy some blaze orange boxers!!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
cheesey said:

Bah, go buy some blaze orange boxers!!

Already have them........and blaze orange T-shirt too.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mike Woods is an a**hole...

Just as I said...Welcome back Packer mediocrity of the 70's and 80's and you're all lining up to drink the TT cool-aid...

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't quite understand the logic of ripping the GM before he really has a chance to prove, or disprove his abilities. Sounds like your mind is made up, you hate him, and no matter WHAT moves he makes, he will be a bad guy. Am i correct on that assumption?
I'm willing to give him a chance......see what he does this season. Then if he DESERVES ripping, i will join you.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No Cheesey...

I just know that TT's "plan" ofbuilding through the draft takes time to WIN!

You can't win with a bunch of rookies....they need time to develop....

(So we really won't know how TT's "plan" is going to develop until 2-3 years down the road....by that time..it will be too late for Brett Favre's career with the Packers..)

However..if he didn't "stubbornly" want to stick with his "plan"..He could have another plan where the Pack could "win now" and still build for the future...

All you have to do is get the "skilled" horses around Favre...and he could get you there now...

(Also Cheesey...are you willing to wait 3-4 years for TT's "plan" to work out...?? That's alot of faith that he's requiring for the Packer faithful...)

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
However..if he didn't "stubbornly" want to stick with his "plan"..He could have another plan where the Pack could "win now" and still build for the future

I could be wrong but this is what it seems like to me as well !!!

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at the Seahawks. TT knows what he's doing. :wink:

I'm willing to put my faith in TT because I realize that what he's doing is smart and will build a team that will be good for years to come and won't come crashing down because of salary cap problems. That's already happened, and it was Sherman's fault. TT has done the best with what he has to work with so far, and things will be much better in a couple of years.

When Sherman was GM, he got players to keep the Packers good every year. We got knocked out of the playoffs every year, and each year we got pushed up against the cap even more. You're going to fall eventually, and it takes years to get back up. TT is going to correct it.

Sometimes all you need is just a little patience....

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
No Cheesey...

So you think TT is going to spend 30 million dollars on signing those rookies we get in the Draft? LOL...oh man, thats gold. GOLD.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack66 if you only use free agency you become the yankkees. And look at them they cant win the world series even with all those guys.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
No Cheesey...

(So we really won't know how TT's "plan" is going to develop until 2-3 years down the road....by that time..it will be too late for Brett Favre's career with the Packers..)

However..if he didn't "stubbornly" want to stick with his "plan"..He could have another plan where the Pack could "win now" and still build for the future...

All you have to do is get the "skilled" horses around Favre...and he could get you there now...

(Also Cheesey...are you willing to wait 3-4 years for TT's "plan" to work out...?? That's alot of faith that he's requiring for the Packer faithful...)

We were 4 - 12 with a injury depleted team last year. Chances of that amount of injuries happening again this year are very unlikely, especially since the Packers are going back to free weights (if you work out you understand) Our offense will be better and our defense will continue to improve.

Offensively
We got rid of fairCatchman. We signed Gardner who is going to be a good 3 receiver with Driver and Walker.

We have Gado for the FULL season along with Henderson and Ahman Green.

Bubba is back for the full season and Donald Lee is a stud in the making.

Brett will be playing this year and Rodgers will learn from him.

Sherman is gone.

Between Klemm, Whittacker and Barry let's hope atleast two of them are studs. This zone blocking scheme will make our offense better. Denver and Atlanta don't have any big name OL to my knowledge and they always have good running games. When Brett has a running game he will be dangerous. Remember the Packers WR when we had a running game? He MADE them WR because he had TIME in the pocket.

Defensively
Collins will be better. We got a more capable (not a superstar) to replace Roman alongside Collins.

Carroll will continue to improve, whether it will be enough to earn his spot on the roster remains to be seen. Currently he holds the starting CB spot due to lack of talent in the secondary.

Sherman is gone.

Signed Ryan Pickett to replace Grady (who knows maybe Grady comes back too!!) we re-signed Kampman. Once we re-sign Colin Cole we will have a young improving D-Line.

Linebackers... someone needs to put a add in the newspaper because we need some! I'm optimistic Poppinga and Manning will be solid players this year, but I'd feel more comfortable if we signed Julian Peterson

We still need a kicker. We have our punter already signed. KR/PR will probably be that Harrison feller we signed or a low end draft pick.

That all being said BEFORE the end of FA and BEFORE the NFL Draft!!

He has a plan which he understands and you have no clue what it is. Pull some of that faith you have in Brett and put it towards the team he plays for.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
No Cheesey...

Pack66, the mindreader. Please, oh mighty 66, tell me, this ingrateof a packers fan, what my master, TT, plans on doing with all of the free agent money? You seem to 'know' what favre is thinking, and you 'know' TT's plans, please inform me, as I would love to know my masters plan.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
P@ck66 said:
No Cheesey...

We were 4 - 12 with a injury depleted team last year. Chances of that amount of injuries happening again this year are very unlikely, especially since the Packers are going back to free weights (if you work out you understand) Our offense will be better and our defense will continue to improve.

Offensively
We got rid of fairCatchman. We signed Gardner who is going to be a good 3 receiver with Driver and Walker.

We have Gado for the FULL season along with Henderson and Ahman Green.

Bubba is back for the full season and Donald Lee is a stud in the making.

Brett will be playing this year and Rodgers will learn from him.

Sherman is gone.

Between Klemm, Whittacker and Barry let's hope atleast two of them are studs. This zone blocking scheme will make our offense better. Denver and Atlanta don't have any big name OL to my knowledge and they always have good running games. When Brett has a running game he will be dangerous. Remember the Packers WR when we had a running game? He MADE them WR because he had TIME in the pocket.

Defensively
Collins will be better. We got a more capable (not a superstar) to replace Roman alongside Collins.

Carroll will continue to improve, whether it will be enough to earn his spot on the roster remains to be seen. Currently he holds the starting CB spot due to lack of talent in the secondary.

Sherman is gone.

Signed Ryan Pickett to replace Grady (who knows maybe Grady comes back too!!) we re-signed Kampman. Once we re-sign Colin Cole we will have a young improving D-Line.

Linebackers... someone needs to put a add in the newspaper because we need some! I'm optimistic Poppinga and Manning will be solid players this year, but I'd feel more comfortable if we signed Julian Peterson

We still need a kicker. We have our punter already signed. KR/PR will probably be that Harrison feller we signed or a low end draft pick.

That all being said BEFORE the end of FA and BEFORE the NFL Draft!!

He has a plan which he understands and you have no clue what it is. Pull some of that faith you have in Brett and put it towards the team he plays for.

:towel:

you go, dancin baby!

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"We were 4 - 12 with a injury depleted team last year. Chances of that amount of injuries happening again this year are very unlikely, especially since the Packers are going back to free weights (if you work out you understand) Our offense will be better and our defense will continue to improve".

Z2C posted the above> I don't mind looking like an idiot here but what the heck were we doing not training with "Free Weights" Last year ? I did not know this and am really surprised.

Someone please enlighten me on this one, thanks and Cheers !!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
"We were 4 - 12 with a injury depleted team last year. Chances of that amount of injuries happening again this year are very unlikely, especially since the Packers are going back to free weights (if you work out you understand) Our offense will be better and our defense will continue to improve".

Z2C posted the above> I don't mind looking like an idiot here but what the heck were we doing not training with "Free Weights" Last year ? I did not know this and am really surprised.

Someone please enlighten me on this one, thanks and Cheers !!!

I think most of the sherman era was no free weights :(

think it had anything to do with some of the injuries?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt that it had anything to do with the injuries, considering that Sherman's Packer teams were generally very healthy, except for the 2002 and 2005 squads.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the Information Trom, I really did not know we were not using Free wieghts and it still blows me away, thanks again, Cheers !!!

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I doubt that it had anything to do with the injuries, considering that Sherman's Packer teams were generally very healthy, except for the 2002 and 2005 squads.

That is two too many. It's proven the more muscles you exercise the less chance of injury. It also makes sense.

Would it have prevented any of the injuries of last season? Javon maybe. Green I think so because he had his injury for the last half of the 2004 season.

I'd throw out other guys an debate but my head hurts.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So zero..

Basically you're saying..all TT has done is mostly sign Sherman's players and the couple of scrubs he picked up last year....(Klemm...Whittiker..)..is that right?

Like I said...

I don't see the vast improvement...and since all of the GOOD FA's are being snapped up..just who is TT going to sign in free agency TT-romadz..??

Who will be left...the leftovers..that's who...like he got last year....

and...drum roll....

THE DRAFT....

(You can back me up on this Bruce if you have a mind to...but isn't that TT's MO around the NFL...??)

What concept is so hard for you to grasp Trom and others in the TT chorus..??

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
I don't see the vast improvement...and since all of the GOOD FA's are being snapped up..just who is TT going to sign in free agency TT-romadz..??

Ty Law
Nate clements
charles woodson
plummer
dyson
fletcher
ike taylor
warfield

julian peterson
cato june
newman
short
keith adams

steve neal(og)
Vince Manuwai

and thats just a short list cuz im about to eat lunch, but yeah...all the good players are taken, whoever could TT get? :roll:

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
So zero..

Basically you're saying..all TT has done is mostly sign Sherman's players and the couple of scrubs he picked up last year....(Klemm...Whittiker..)..is that right?

Like I said...

Who will be left...the leftovers..that's who...like he got last year....

and...drum roll....

THE DRAFT....

(You can back me up on this Bruce if you have a mind to...but isn't that TT's MO around the NFL...??)

What concept is so hard for you to grasp Trom and others in the TT chorus..??

I've stated facts and yet you refuse to pay attention. If you need to question what I am saying perhaps you need to read it again.

The pieces are still out there to be gotten to make the Packers even BETTER then they are. So sit in your mothers basement wearing your Vikings jersey and continue to be your pessimistic self while I pray and I mean PRAY for the ignore feature to be install ASAP!

Members online

Latest posts