Favre was cold

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no QB in NFL history that has as much success in cold weather than Brett Favre.

Favre can get it done in the cold.

but vs. Chicago, Brett Favre was COLD. He was uncomfortable and he didn't like it.

If this doesn't tell you something, then well...you're a lost soul.

This game was RIDICULOUS, and GB will not play in a game like this again for probably 10 years easy(below freezing wind chill + 40MPH winds).

It was a crazy freaky game. We lost. It happens. 12-3

Do YOU think GB can't get it done in the cold JUST because of this insane game? Do you?

Really? Wow.

12-3.

1st Round Bye.

2nd Round Home Game.

3rd Round...Dallas might not even be there.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they can get it done in the cold but the Bears could get it done better. If the weather was better I know the outcome would have been different. We didn't show up today willing to fight through it and bears did. I still like our chances in warmer weather against anyone but not in the frigid elements like today.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they can get it done in the cold but the Bears could get it done better.

Good thing Chicago isn't in the playoffs(hear that, Bearsperspective?).

LonelyPoet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, there is one thing that failed today, Pass Protection. If that was there Favre would've been better. They were always standing for a Rush and Favre still did a good job passing the ball. Both Interceptions can be avoided, first the receiver was not even looking second one... it could happen any time. I wont blame Favre alone for that. Urlacher made a good play.
The Lesson from this.. Pass Protection. without that we are burst.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers and Favre let the cold effect them much more than the Bears, just like a dome team. Home field advantage this year in the cold? Lets see if they bounce back in the playoffs.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i was surprised when Favre said this was the worst weather he's ever played in. For him that's saying something. As I posted yesterday when the weathers terrible the underdog usually benefits cause it's a matter of who gets the breaks. That said the Bears did make their own breaks and I was impressed by Idoniji who actually grew up close to where I live. He belongs on the probowl special teams

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They let the cold beat them today, it's that simple. Favre looked cold and he looked like he didn't want to be out there. All the Packers looked that way. This team needs to toughen up. You know where we'd be practicing if I were the coach, we'd be outside the rest of the week.

Reaction score
They let the cold beat them today, it's that simple. Favre looked cold and he looked like he didn't want to be out there. All the Packers looked that way. This team needs to toughen up. You know where we'd be practicing if I were the coach, we'd be outside the rest of the week.

It's not a matter of the team needing to get tougher IMO.

Like trom said, and a few of the sports writers echoed the exact same thing, these conditions were horrid. There is playing in the cold, then there is playing in the weather today which was beyond cold and had wind/snow to boot.

Like Cdn said, when Favre said it's cold, it's beyond the normal cold of Lambeau. A few times, I saw Driver standing in front of the heater, and you're going to tell me Driver isn't tough?

These football players, especially at skill positions, have extremely low body fat, less than 10%. In weather like this, they cramp up because of it, and if you cramp up then you can't exactly play at 100%.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have lived in northern Wisconsin my entire life. Today's winds were some of the toughest and coldest you are gonna see. I had to shovel my driveway three times in six hours. We pass to set up the run, when you can't pass at all. that will pose a problem. I'm really not that worried.

Reaction score
On top of that, are people forgetting the Redskins game?

Granted we didn't blow the Skins out, but we battled tough and our D and ST came up big and led us to a win.

I mean it isn't as if this team has struggled in bad weather. They struggled in weather you will probably never see them play in again this year.

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
Thanks for the perspective Trom, though this was one of the worst performances I've seen in awhile from these guys, very good points about the weather. Sure, we don't want to make excuses, but lets just face it, the weather was ridiculous, and obviously one team was more prepared for it and that team was not us

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

It's not a matter of the team needing to get tougher IMO.

Like trom said, and a few of the sports writers echoed the exact same thing, these conditions were horrid. There is playing in the cold, then there is playing in the weather today which was beyond cold and had wind/snow to boot.

Like Cdn said, when Favre said it's cold, it's beyond the normal cold of Lambeau. A few times, I saw Driver standing in front of the heater, and you're going to tell me Driver isn't tough?

These football players, especially at skill positions, have extremely low body fat, less than 10%. In weather like this, they cramp up because of it, and if you cramp up then you can't exactly play at 100%.

Our game plan was weak, our team was weak. Other than two runs by Grant we pretty much sucked. That horrible cold didn't seem to bother the Bears. My point is we're a cold weather team who damn well better learn to play in the cold. Why do you think we're playing for home field advantage? To get the Cowboys up here January. Maybe we're just not tough enough.

Reaction score
Our game plan was weak, our team was weak. Other than two runs by Grant we pretty much sucked. That horrible cold didn't seem to bother the Bears. My point is we're a cold weather team who damn well better learn to play in the cold. Why do you think we're playing for home field advantage? To get the Cowboys up here January. Maybe we're just not tough enough.

I agree with you that the game plan should have been much better. Looking at the replay, one thing that stands out to me is that our Safties should've been playing closer to the LOS. I mean it's sad if Sanders was worried about Orton beating our D through the air, especially in this weather.

I think this team can play in the cold, but not the terrible conditions you saw today. I think we are not ready to take on 40 mph winds just yet.

But I'd like to see McCarthy really blast this team for their performance, it was sad and pathetic.

As for homefield, perhaps I am one of the few but I'd prefer if we didn't get homefield. I really think this team would be better off going to Dallas to play the Cowboys instead of the Cowboys coming here to play.

But it's obvious that Coach McCarthy thought differently, and he's the coach for a reason. McCarthy needs to learn from this (I think he will) and get his players to execute much better.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, there is one thing that failed today, Pass Protection. If that was there Favre would've been better. They were always standing for a Rush and Favre still did a good job passing the ball. Both Interceptions can be avoided, first the receiver was not even looking second one... it could happen any time. I wont blame Favre alone for that. Urlacher made a good play.
The Lesson from this.. Pass Protection. without that we are burst.

You hit the nail on the head here. The pass protection was awful, but what was even worse than the pass protection was the punt blocking. There was no punt blocking. there is no excuse to have 2 punts blocked in one game. You're not even supposed to have 2 punts blocked in ONE YEAR.

Plus, the run blocking was horrible. Grant got hit for losses probably half the times he carried it. It was NOT Grant's fault.

If we expect to win the SB, we've got to do something about the OL. As is, it's holding us back.

I'm expecting it will be our #1 priority in the offseason.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Favre.
Was.
Horrible.

So was the offensive line, so was everyone but Ryan Grant.

McCarthy
was
Horrendous...

So was the O-Line
So were the Un-Special teams..
So was the Defense--the **** squad.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we expect to win the SB, we've got to do something about the OL. As is, it's holding us back.

GB has one of the best passing games in the NFL, and the Oline is holding us(12-3 team) back?

So the good pass game(and emerging run game) is everyones doing except the Olines.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Favre.
Was.
Horrible.

So was the offensive line, so was everyone but Ryan Grant.

McCarthy
was
Horrendous...

So was the O-Line
So were the Un-Special teams..
So was the Defense--the **** squad.

MM has been incredibly good this whole year.

For some reason, Lovie Smith owns MM. MM looked horrible and Smith couldn't do anything wrong. MM should have figured out sooner that punting was not working, and it was so bad you're better off going on 4th than punting. He finally figured that out in the 4th Q.

The playcalling left a lot to be desired. Smith read MM like a book. It's as if da Bears knew more about what we were planning on doing than we knew what we were supposed to be doing.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:

GB has one of the best passing games in the NFL, and the Oline is holding us(12-3 team) back?

So the good pass game(and emerging run game) is everyones doing except the Olines.

The OL looked excellent against the Raiders. It looked pathetic against the Cows and the Bears. Why? I don't know. I'm not an OL expert. I just know what I see.

roy_munson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre is getting old ... it showed today.

Five, eight years ago, this weather wouldn't have bothered him a bit; he would cut right through it like a hot knife through butter. Favre has to be considered one of the greatest "bad weather" qbs ever but getting older and cold weather don't mix ... he played and looked miserable.

That being sad, Favre didn't lose this game.

This game was lost by the punting unit. Poor blocking, poor snaps, poor punting. The turning point, without a doubt, was right before half. The Pack up 7-6, stop the Bears and force a punt; take over on their 41 but go 3 and out. Ryan comes in punts the ball 9 yards; the Bears proceed to score a TD and go ahead 13-7 at half; setting the stage for the 2nd half meltdown ....

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
roy_munson said:
Favre is getting old ... it showed today.

Five, eight years ago, this weather wouldn't have bothered him a bit; he would cut right through it like a hot knife through butter. Favre has to be considered one of the greatest "bad weather" qbs ever but getting older and cold weather don't mix ... he played and looked miserable.

That being sad, Favre didn't lose this game.

This game was lost by the punting unit. Poor blocking, poor snaps, poor punting. The turning point, without a doubt, was right before half. The Pack up 7-6, stop the Bears and force a punt; take over on their 41 but go 3 and out. Ryan comes in punts the ball 9 yards; the Bears proceed to score a TD and go ahead 13-7 at half; setting the stage for the 2nd half meltdown ....

Agreed.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good summary Roy. The thing that concerns me is not Brett, the WR'S or even the punt blocking. My concern lies in the fact that the Def. and O-Line was pretty crappy today.

The weather should effect Brett throwing a football, Ryan catching a longsnap, the WR dropping balls, etc. The Weather SHOULD NOT effect the O-line blocking or the DB's covering or the Middle being gashed.

This O-line is just not very good and it's going to pose a problem in the playoffs if we get into bad conditions. We need to run the ball like the Bears did. Our Def. was pretty soft today and gave up way to many yards for the conditions. MM's gameplan was also very poor. We should have done everything to plug up the middle and in passing situations better defended the screen. Instead MM was worried about getting beat by the long ball, for whatever reason. I think MM neglected to change the gameplan based on the weather.

All in all this game was determined in the 1st quarter. The Bears set the tempo by going on a 10 minute drive, converting first down after first down and putting points on the board. There is no doubt had the weather been better we would have had the Offensive firepower to score right with them. The Def. failed to win the battle and the O-line failed to give us any chance to compete today in the conditions.

Not the end of the world but it is that time of the year where weather conditions are not ideal. We need to perform better in bad weather, but today was extreme. That being said we are the GREEN BAY Packers and using weather SHOULD NEVER be an excuse, no matter how severe

Members online

Latest posts