Favre wants to move HOF ceremony into stadium

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So much for the theory that he's afraid to face the fanbase.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude saved the franchise, yap all you want about wolf Holmgren blah blah blah but the game is about players. Who is the PLAYER who put the Packers back in the elite category ( from the CRAP category )? Brett Favre, anyone who says anything different is IMO delusional

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my guess is the organization doesn't want to set this type of precedent for future inductions, the weather becomes a factor, plus they like to scratch the backs of their big, big money donors and keep it limited to them, but I think they should move it to the stadium for Favre. It will fill up, even with crappy weather and the big money guys can have their own special 1K plate dinner after.

Or maybe they plan to all along and the conspiracy theorist in me says this is a way to have a "conflict" and resolution with Favre, the team, and the fans and everyone is happy :) I'm happy whenever this gets done, however it does. I don't care, it's just time.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude saved the franchise, yap all you want about wolf Holmgren blah blah blah but the game is about players. Who is the PLAYER who put the Packers back in the elite category ( from the CRAP category )? Brett Favre, anyone who says anything different is IMO delusional

The Packers didn't start making the playoffs until Reggie White arrived. They were close in '92 but failed on the season's final day with a 27-7 loss at Minnesota, with Favre at quarterback and having a multiple interception game.

Favre never won or even got back to a Super Bowl sans Holmgren, Reggie, etc. etc. We all know how many times he literally threw away championship chances. When the TEAM was good enough to cover for his mistakes and wildness he was great but when the burden really shifted to his shoulders he was an all-time choker.

Favre was one of the most prominent guys in the boat when the wave lifted it to Super Bowl XXXI but he wasn't the wave that lifted it. That was Wolf, Holmgren and his exceptional coaching staff and Reggie. When those guys were gone and Favre was left just what happened in Green Bay football?

Last edited:

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Selective memory anyway...

Not hardly. Haven't you noticed how the stock photos and videos of Favre are almost always of him as a Viking? These are the final, defining images of him that most people see.

As for "selective memory," those who try to overlook or gloss over his betrayal and "sticking it" to the Packers and just pick out his good times with Green Bay are being rather selective in their memories.

Trying to recast him now as the iconic, all-time Packers great is like trying to revirginize a ****.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not hardly. Haven't you noticed how the stock photos and videos of Favre are almost always of him as a Viking? These are the final, defining images of him that most people see.

I just searched his name on google and the majority are of him as a Packer.

As for "selective memory," those who try to overlook or gloss over his betrayal and "sticking it" to the Packers and...

Back to the "betrayal" nonsense. It was time for Rodgers to take over and Favre wanted another legitimate shot at a Super Bowl before retiring for good. Anyone could see the Vikings were his best chance to do that. They were basically a Super Bowl quality team that just needed a QB. It's as simple as that.

...just pick out his good times with Green Bay are being rather selective in their memories.

Nobody is ignoring that, but ignoring the prior 16 years isn't selective memory?

Trying to recast him now as the iconic, all-time Packers great is like trying to revirginize a ****.

So, do you think your unnecessary vulgarity strengthens your position or something? Or perhaps you think it makes you look clever? Petty and childish are the adjectives that actually come to mind.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As for "selective memory," those who try to overlook or gloss over his betrayal and "sticking it" to the Packers and just pick out his good times with Green Bay are being rather selective in their memories.

Nice. Get another Blatz!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm curious to understand the mind of the "BF Haters". Had he retired as a Packer and never played another down, would your feelings about him be different today? Do you hate him because of what he did (or didn't do) as a Packer?

Or do you hate him because he was traded to the Jets and then subsequently to the Vikings, somehow making him the "traitor" that you now want to paint and remember him as? I'm just curious.

A side note......We can kind of thank that trade to the Jets for bringing us Clay.....

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/113462979.html

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sorry....side tracked above.

Why not have it in the Stadium? This will put to rest the burning question of "Do Packer fans hate Brett Favre?" Only a few show up.....question answered. Stadium packed......question answered. Hold the ceremony in the Atrium and retire his number at an already sold out stadium......question never answered.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm curious to understand the mind of the "BF Haters". Had he retired as a Packer and never played another down, would your feelings about him be different today? Do you hate him because of what he did (or didn't do) as a Packer? Or do you hate him because he was traded to the Jets and then subsequently to the Vikings, somehow making him the "traitor" that you now want to paint and remember him as? I'm just curious.
IMO this post reveals a surprising ignorance (lack of knowledge) about the events beginning in 2008 regarding Favre and the Packers. It's one thing to continue to hero-worship Favre but another to ignore what he did. I can't speak for others but here's a post I wrote almost 4 years ago that presents my answers your questions:
https://www.packerforum.com/threads/retiring-favres-4.22286/page-3#post-301963

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
TJV, I wasn't trying to spurn another "Favre Love/Hate discussion". But maybe I wrote that in such a way that was "calling for it". I'm just curious from a hypothetical point of view, which seems common here. Simply put.....

Favre retires as a Packer (never plays for another team), is he a legend, remembered player or forgotten?

I apologize, I didn't need to add all the crap about what happened after he was traded. Nor did I want to discuss it again.

Last edited:

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He won a SB and helped bring relevance back to a moribund franchise. I hate how he left but love what he brought to an otherwise "Detroit" type franchise at the time. In fact the best comparison at the time was to the Browns... They had recently been known as the "Cardiac Kids" and we were known as the "Cardiac Pack" in the late 80's. Thanks Majic man.

Yeah, it stinks that he was so indecisive at the end, but he brought some glory back to Titletown in the 90's and kept us relevant in the early to mid 2000's.

It is incredible how much hate there is for a sure fire Hall of Famer, SB winner and holder of many records for a franchise known for winning and records. Good lord, let's get over it already. I have no doubt he will be a first ballot HoF'er. As a Packer. And he was an exciting player. No one hated his play until near the end. Yeah, he was not the same without Holmgren coaching, but he was the main reason we went to the playoffs in the late 90"s and all of the 2000's until Rodgers took over.

I hated the 6 int games as much as anyone, but for anyone to doubt his contributions for many years is just sticking their head in the sand. I think there will be a large crowd and the stadium needs to hold this ceremony. If they do have it in the stadium, I will try to get there to see it.

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Afraid to face the fan base?

The man who kisses the mirror each morning isn't afraid of that.

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
He won a SB and helped bring relevance back to a moribund franchise. I hate how he left but love what he brought to an otherwise "Detroit" type franchise at the time. In fact the best comparison at the time was to the Browns... They had recently been known as the "Cardiac Kids" and we were known as the "Cardiac Pack" in the late 80's. Thanks Majic man.

Yeah, it stinks that he was so indecisive at the end, but he brought some glory back to Titletown in the 90's and kept us relevant in the early to mid 2000's.

It is incredible how much hate there is for a sure fire Hall of Famer, SB winner and holder of many records for a franchise known for winning and records. Good lord, let's get over it already. I have no doubt he will be a first ballot HoF'er. As a Packer. And he was an exciting player. No one hated his play until near the end. Yeah, he was not the same without Holmgren coaching, but he was the main reason we went to the playoffs in the late 90"s and all of the 2000's until Rodgers took over.

I hated the 6 int games as much as anyone, but for anyone to doubt his contributions for many years is just sticking their head in the sand. I think there will be a large crowd and the stadium needs to hold this ceremony. If they do have it in the stadium, I will try to get there to see it.

I grew up with Favre as my hero, but the end was like watching a different person. I've always had the opinion that no one is (or should be) bigger than the team, but he thought he was and that fan admiration is unconditional.

Look at Hawk, average at best yet cemented his place as a true packer for me with his humility.

I am grateful for his physical feats (although lets not forget his style of play had a price) but as a bloke, no thanks.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if it does get moved inside the stadium the reception will be interesting. There are probably a lot of fans who would pay $4 to boo through his entire speech.

I'm on the fence Favre, Wolf and Holmgren did resurrect the franchise. And after Starr, Infante, Gregg, even Phil Bengston, Favre's late career antics don't bother me much. In the end, he was revealed as an egomaniac, and a stupid one at that.

So let's give him his day and remember Favre the workhorse rather than Favre the *******.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry....side tracked above.

Why not have it in the Stadium? This will put to rest the burning question of "Do Packer fans hate Brett Favre?" Only a few show up.....question answered. Stadium packed......question answered. Hold the ceremony in the Atrium and retire his number at an already sold out stadium......question never answered.

Some questions are better left unanswered.

SKB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I can't understand the Favre haters. For me, he was the quintessential piece of the team that brought the Packers back from irrelevance. Reggie was the start of it, but Brett was the one.

It was unfortunate the way it ended, but Favre caused a lot of that. After 29 years of futility, he got us the trophy back.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I can't understand the Favre haters. For me, he was the quintessential piece of the team that brought the Packers back from irrelevance. Reggie was the start of it, but Brett was the one.

It was unfortunate the way it ended, but Favre caused a lot of that. After 29 years of futility, he got us the trophy back.
I frankly don't understand worshipers OR haters. His longevity here alone is worthy of admiration. How many franchises get to go so long without worrying about the QB position? On the other hand, he could have a six-interception game and he and his worshipers would talk about poor route running. Let's do the ceremony and move on.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts