Favre vs San Fran

packman31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems Favre has always played well against San Fran, remember all the playoff games in the 90's. I think his record vs 49ers is like 11-1 and we all know that ( 1) was the one where Rice fumbled and they called him down.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems Favre has always played well against San Fran, remember all the playoff games in the 90's. I think his record vs 49ers is like 11-1 and we all know that ( 1) was the one where Rice fumbled and they called him down.
Yup, and TO caught the winning TD pass moments later. It was replayed on ESPN Classic about a year ago.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
after watching this game my opinon on favre kind of changed. i thought that he was loseing it alittle but i was proved wrong.

he was given time to throw the ball and he had a great game. if you give him time to throw the ball he will get the job done.

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone know what Favre's record vs. Steve Young was ??? It was something like 8-1 (the 1 being the Rice fumble no call )

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
after watching this game my opinon on favre kind of changed. i thought that he was loseing it alittle but i was proved wrong.

he was given time to throw the ball and he had a great game. if you give him time to throw the ball he will get the job done.

Exactly Umair..

It's a team game..and when the team isn't playing well or whatever, some people want to blame Favre, which is unfair, imo.

On the other hand, a QB can lose a game for you sometimes. But Favre is definitely going to win more games for you then he's going to lose. Way more!

I just don't understand these guys who just outright attack him though. :chalflag:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's had plenty of time in other situations and made bad throws\bad decisions. What about those?

This was one of his more consistent performances and I am glad for him and GB.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He's had plenty of time in other situations and made bad throws\bad decisions. What about those?

This is what about those.

It's called having only two guys in the pattern all game who couldn't get open because the Pack has a rookie offensive line who can only handle 1/2 of the playbook, and the RB's and TE's have to be kept in for max protection of the QB most of the time and are not in the pattern.

Against the better defenses, that makes them predictable....which basically leaves the young Packer offense unable to do ANYTHING during the game except for Favre to throw into coverage and hope something good happens (ie His receivers fight for the ball), or else throw the ball out of bounds three times in a row, and punt all game....

Or in other words, it's just the reality of where TT and MM have this young Packer team right know.

It's also called when the Packer's face a superior defensive team, the rookie O-Line can not handle the pass rush (or effectively run block), thereby nullifying any, and all, of the Packer's offensive weapons or plans of attack for the game that day. So Favre's only choice is to throw the ball into coverage and hope for the best (ie. His receivers fight for the ball), or throw three passes away out of bounds and punt on every offensive series. Which would hardly be a fun offense to watch, and it isn't at times...

It all starts with the O-Line's success....or lack of success....

TheStone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
It's called having only two guys in the pattern all game who couldn't get open because the Pack has a rookie offensive line who can only handle 1/2 of the playbook, and the RB's and TE's have to be kept in for max protection of the QB most of the time and are not in the pattern.

Against the better defenses, that makes them predictable....which basically leaves the young Packer offense unable to do ANYTHING during the game except for Favre to throw into coverage and hope something good happens (ie His receivers fight for the ball), or else throw the ball out of bounds three times in a row, and punt all game....

Or in other words, it's just the reality of where TT and MM have this young Packer team right know.

It's also called when the Packer's face a superior defensive team, the rookie O-Line can not handle the pass rush (or effectively run block), thereby nullifying any, and all, of the Packer's offensive weapons or plans of attack for the game that day. So Favre's only choice is to throw the ball into coverage and hope for the best (ie. His receivers fight for the ball), or throw three passes away out of bounds and punt on every offensive series. Which would hardly be a fun offense to watch, and it isn't at times...

It all starts with the O-Line's success....or lack of success....
sign

You could see exactly that happen at the beginning of the third quarter.
Favre got constant pressure and had to release the ball quickly or Green was stopped in the trenches. Result: Our O# could not move the ball and the game got close again. Then came the BIG turnover by Collins.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Was that the game that TO took the pom poms from the cheerleader? or was that a year or two later?

year or two later...

he was mobbed at the end of the game in the endzone when he caught it..

where as before he caught it, sharper, and butler did not mob him..

LOL

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got it. When Favre does good, the Oline is good and suddenly our WRs are good(or is favre making them look good? Decide, you cant have it both ways).

And when he does bad, its that rookie line and mediocre WRs(tell that to DD, im sure hed like it).

I just hope the consistent play keeps up from Favre. This isnt the first time in his career he hasnt had a great WR corp and a mediocre\injured line.

funny how that works.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A key factor IMO against SF was their coverage of WRs or lack of it. They were crazy to think that they could get by with single coverage on Driver and if you look at Favre's other TD, that came to a WR who was left wide open.

It's tempting to think that Favre's performance and numbers against NE, SEA and NYJ would have been a lot better had they tried to defend the passing game the way SF did.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Didn't Favre have 2 dropped int's in the end zone vs SF? That was the difference between his decisions this week vs the past 4 weeks. The picks were dropped.

His laser-cannon-nuclear arm outside of the redzone is still VERY good on those slant routes. Seems like he is prone to lobbing one or two up for grabs into the end zone each week.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I got it. When Favre does good, the Oline is good and suddenly our WRs are good(or is favre making them look good? Decide, you cant have it both ways).

And when he does bad, its that rookie line and mediocre WRs(tell that to DD, im sure hed like it).

I just hope the consistent play keeps up from Favre. This isnt the first time in his career he hasnt had a great WR corp and a mediocre\injured line.

funny how that works.

:cry: Wow. I can't believe I have to explain this. But here goes.

When the rookie O-Line does good. Like pass protects and run blocks and stuff, then it gives Favre a chance to do good like have enough time to look for open receivers and junk. Also, it gives the receivers a chance to do good by running their full patterns, making moves on the DB's, etc. that would allow them to get open.

Now the concept of a running game is to gain yardage, but also to provide balance, so that the defense doesn't just tee off on the QB with blitzes and pass rush packages..and stuff..etc..etc..

This is the way a football TEAM is supposed to work. That's the idea behind football being a team sport.

One aspect can not work with out the other working.

So consequently, if the O-Line is doing it's job...even half way...sometimes...Favre will have a chance to do what he does best. Find the open receiver, pass for 300 yards, and win games--like he's been doing his whole career.

I hope this explains it for you.

And yes, it does help to have talent at all positions, especially WR, so they can get open, jump for the ball, run good routes..etc...etc..

and junk..

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Didn't Favre have 2 dropped int's in the end zone vs SF? That was the difference between his decisions this week vs the past 4 weeks. The picks were dropped.

His laser-cannon-nuclear arm outside of the redzone is still VERY good on those slant routes. Seems like he is prone to lobbing one or two up for grabs into the end zone each week.

I think it was just one drop in the end zone, but point taken.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Now we're talking about the interceptions that Favre DIDN'T throw..???

(Jeez..some people need to get a new thing to obsess over....)

By the way 4th and 26, aren't you a Bears fan?

Man..it's going to be funny to watch them lose in the first round of the playoffs because of Grossman...AGAIN!

:rotflmao:

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
tromadz said:

Now we're talking about the interceptions that Favre DIDN'T throw..???

(Jeez..some people need to get a new thing to obsess over....)

By the way 4th and 26, aren't you a Bears fan?

Man..it's going to be funny to watch them lose in the first round of the playoffs because of Grossman...AGAIN!

:rotflmao:

So you will have a 3 hour laugh. I have been laughing at the Packers since the beginning of the season. And yes, I am a bear fan.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4thand26 said:
tromadz said:

I think it was just one drop in the end zone, but point taken.

A LB dropped a very short or low pass to Bubba in the endzone. I think it was Jennings that was double covered in the end zone on a long pass that both defenders had a good chance at the ball.

My point is not to say that Brett SHOULD have had 2 ints. My point is that in the past couple of games, those were caught. I think that Favre has been playing pretty well lately. He is just having one or two mental lapses close to the goal line. Maybe pressing to get the record, I don't know.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett played well..but it was actually San Francisco self-destructing that made the game more lopsided.

It was the crappy play of Alex Smith (yeah..what a great no.1 he turns out to be..getting booed by his home crowd.....We got the true no.1 QB in the draft)....His 2 interceptions and the turnover by Frank Gore gave GB the chance to put 3 more scores on the board.

GB overall played well, but San Francisco played much worse than expected.

Members online

Latest posts