Favre Vs Rodgers Vs Free Agency Vs Draft

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Favre STAYS: we keep Ingle Martin and Aaron Rodgers

If Favre LEAVES: we keep Ingle Martin, Aaron Rodgers, and try to sign either Damon Huard or Anthony Wright or BAP

Regardless of Favre...
We need a RB, a TE, a DT, and a Safety

RB: Get whoever is cheaper: Green with a short deal or give up a 5th for Michael Turner. If we can get Michael Bush or Kenny Irons in the second I'd take either.

TE: GONZALEZ!!! If not, then Daniel Graham.

DT: Hollis Thomas a a FA. I wouldn't mind getting a DT in the third. Maybe that 19 year old senior from Louisville!

SS: LaRon Landry. He is better than his brother who is tearing it up on the Ravens. WE should get him in the first and try to get either Rod Hood or Phillip Buchannon for depth at CB.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have been grooming Rogers. He will be the next QB of the Green Bay Packers. For how long? Well, that's up to Rogers and his ability and his decision making process. In my opinion he has the physical tools, making the right decisions while on the field, reading defenses, looking off receivers, and building a rhythm with his receivers will be vital. In the West coast offense, you pass the ball to open up the run. Rogers isn't going to have to make a ton of down field passes. In today's game a 25 yard pass is a long pass. You don't seem many QB's throwing 50 yard bombs and completing them. I believe Rogers can do everything this offense demands. The bigger key is can he make the right choices?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The book on "Tedford" QB's....

Tedford generally produces what are called "system" quarterbacks. One reason that David Carr had trouble reading defenses when he came here was because he was in Tedford's simple no-read system did not get Carr ready for the Pro game (if you look at Harrington and Dilfer....both of them had miserable starts to their careers, Dilfer finally came around after being a bust with Tampa Bay and Harrington is still struggling in Miami). For 2 full years Carr would look to his first option and then totally ignore his secondary reads and dump down to his last option. That was one of the reasons I wasn't so high on Carr early on. He just didn't have a good feel for the pro game, but that was mainly due to playing in such a linear system under Tedford. The first year was lock on to Bradford, lock on...keep locking on then finally dump to Miller (or take a sack), in the next year it was lock on to AJ, lock on....lock on, then dump it down to his last option in Dom Davis totally ignoring his secondary reads (Bradford went from leading the team in receptions to being the invisible man...mainly because he was not the first or last read). Carr improved quite a bit last year and if you watch the games you can see he started to lock on less on his primary read. In the NFL you can't sit and wait for your first read to get open. You will get sacked over and over that way. You have to make your reads and anticipate where you throw the ball based on coverage and angles. You just can't wait to see if your WR is visibly open and make a second choice when you figure that your primary option is covered and it’s too late to do anything but check down to the dump pass. The fist year Carr was too slow to make a decision with the ball, year two he improved and last year he finally started to find Gaffney and his mid-read guys. Tedfords system works in College. I really have no urge to see him here.

This is what I've already seen in Rodgers from his limited play in GB so
far....

Whether he can shake this "style" of play still remains to be seen and is anybody's guess!

IMO..GB should seek another QB to at least compete with Rodgers, if Favre retires, if not replace him...

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT has been building a franchise that will be competitive even after the retirement of Brett Favre. Knowing that, it makes no difference then that Brett comes back.

If TT is successful in sculpting this team without Favre, Rodgers or any decent QB could drive the team.

I feel Green will be gone this year. Do we get a replacement or groom Morency?

WR and TE are two positions that need serius upgrading, along with safety and OL.

The Questions that that may become problems are, how many of the current Packers will stay if Brett retires? And will Rodgers or any other QB stay healthy enough to play?

Whether Brett stays or retires, the Packers must compete with the NFL.
It seems that Thompson is doing the right thing by putting defense first but if the Packers can't field a consistent offensive team, we will always be a middle of the road team... SOMEBODY has to score points.

2007 schedule seems more daunting than 2006 and I think that the road will be tougher than this year.

We were weak in the red zone this year... How do we correct this will be a huge question for the Pack with or without Brett. Of course, the retirement of Brett will make this issue more pertinent.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
The book on "Tedford" QB's....

Tedford generally produces what are called "system" quarterbacks. One reason that David Carr had trouble reading defenses when he came here was because he was in Tedford's simple no-read system did not get Carr ready for the Pro game (if you look at Harrington and Dilfer....both of them had miserable starts to their careers, Dilfer finally came around after being a bust with Tampa Bay and Harrington is still struggling in Miami). For 2 full years Carr would look to his first option and then totally ignore his secondary reads and dump down to his last option. That was one of the reasons I wasn't so high on Carr early on. He just didn't have a good feel for the pro game, but that was mainly due to playing in such a linear system under Tedford. The first year was lock on to Bradford, lock on...keep locking on then finally dump to Miller (or take a sack), in the next year it was lock on to AJ, lock on....lock on, then dump it down to his last option in Dom Davis totally ignoring his secondary reads (Bradford went from leading the team in receptions to being the invisible man...mainly because he was not the first or last read). Carr improved quite a bit last year and if you watch the games you can see he started to lock on less on his primary read. In the NFL you can't sit and wait for your first read to get open. You will get sacked over and over that way. You have to make your reads and anticipate where you throw the ball based on coverage and angles. You just can't wait to see if your WR is visibly open and make a second choice when you figure that your primary option is covered and it’s too late to do anything but check down to the dump pass. The fist year Carr was too slow to make a decision with the ball, year two he improved and last year he finally started to find Gaffney and his mid-read guys. Tedfords system works in College. I really have no urge to see him here.

This is what I've already seen in Rodgers from his limited play in GB so
far....

Whether he can shake this "style" of play still remains to be seen and is anybody's guess!

IMO..GB should seek another QB to at least compete with Rodgers, if Favre retires, if not replace him...

Yeah, I don't put much stock in the whole "Tedford Factor" thing. IMO, the only time that it really fits into a discussion is when said QB will be starting immediately. Rodgers has had two years now outside of the Tedford System. He's changed alot of his game.

An example of this is Rodgers' ball-carry style. You can look back at film of him in college, and it was way up by his head every time he dropped back. Now, it's obvious that he's done away with that.

I mean, I think A-Rodge has the tools, but there's no way to find out if he can play until he gets his chance. It's kind of all there is unless Favre comes back. I don't think he will, but I think it would be better for the team as well as the development of Rodgers if he came back.

In response to the thread lead, I don't think anything changes besides bringing in a journeyman vet at QB to back up/compete with Rodgers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
And lets not forget that that Rodgers is being coached now by someone whose skill is suppose to be helping young q/b

and that is the head coach..

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
OB1 said..

If TT is successful in sculpting this team without Favre, Rodgers or any decent QB could drive the team.

That's a big "IF"..OB1...

I'd be more comfortable if Favre came back next year at this point..!

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll get flamed for this, but I see our biggest needs at LT and cornerback. I think Clifton's knees have little mileage to go, and forgive me Tromadz, but I don't have a lot of faith in Dendy.

The above is predicated on Underwood making a full recovery.

I don't believe a star running back is what the Pack needs until the line is more formidable. I like how Denver plugs in whoever to get the job done. I would trade KGB to Washington for Portis though!

Dakota,
I won't flame you for your comments about Clifton and Dendy but I really do not think we need Portis. Yes, he comes from a zone blocking background (Denver) but his attitude is not the greatest. Back in the preseason when he got hurt, he said that "elite " athletes like him should not have to play in preseason games. I don't think that is the type of work ethic we need.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
OB1 said..

I think he's talking for the future. You don't need one of the best QB's ever to win in the NFL no more. We had one and won only one Super Bowl. No knock on anyone but that's how it is sometimes. So TT is preparing for life without Favre and GB is going to be a team that relies on Defense and running the ball rather than their QB bailing them out of everything.

With that said Favre coming back would only benefit this team.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
OB1 said..

I think he's talking for the future. You don't need one of the best QB's ever to win in the NFL no more. We had one and won only one Super Bowl. No knock on anyone but that's how it is sometimes. So TT is preparing for life without Favre and GB is going to be a team that relies on Defense and running the ball rather than their QB bailing them out of everything.

With that said Favre coming back would only benefit this team.

Porky, you nailed it on the head, and what Ted's plans are for this time for years to come..

I dont think I ever heard anyone explain it that way before, and it makes perfect sense to me..

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I swore I said that 13812038 times during the TT vs. Favre wars

but it looks like I was right as usual, and good things will be going GBs way in the future.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that it's fairly obvious that Favre's decision doesn't change any decisions about offseason moves, besides the backup situation.

The part about FA that does change is being able to sign offensive FAs. I'm certain that it is more difficult to get FAs without Favre or even with Favre being uncertain.

This is a major factor because it does affect who you go after or draft. Say that TT wants to bring in Tony Gonz. He would have to offer more money and still may not get him without Favre. That would lead to making a receiving TE a priority in the draft or finding another capable FA willing to come to GB.

So no, the general plan doesn't change, but execution of said plan could be dramatically different.

GO PACK GO!!!

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the only real difference would be the character of any draftees and FA pickups. The QB has to be the leader on the field and he has to have the respect of his players. An established vet like Brett would be more able to control a strong-willed player.

Perfect example: I would love for TT to bring Randy Moss to Green Bay, but I would only advocate such a move IF Brett comes back for another year or two. That's because Randy respects Brett and would "submit" (for lack of a better word) to his leadership. The same could not be said for A-Rod.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The whole idea of the West Coast offense is to throw to open up for the run, that's why the QB always will be the game manager in a west coast offense.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's funny..isn't the West coast offense going out of style in the NFL these days..

I wonder how long the Packers will continue to run it...?

(Just an observation....)

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it isn't going out of style, it's a very efficient and popular scheme, however you have to have the right personel to run it, and the most important part is an excellent QB like Favre, and excellent route runners like Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Marvin Harrison or Steve Smith. If you don't have those it's not gonna work.

Members online

Latest posts