Favre Vs Rodgers Vs Free Agency Vs Draft

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Who would you go after with Brett as your QB that you wouldn't go after with Aaron?

Regardless of who the QB is, we need a reliable TE, we need a game breaking RB and we need another WR. I've said WR wasn't as much of a need, but it is. The last couple games I've seen Brett telling his WR what their route was SUPPOSED to be. Doesn't matter who's throwing the ball if the WR is not in the right place.

Our OL will need another addition. We have a solid foundation but adding another zone blocking OL can't hurt, especially with losing the ZBS master, Jags to BC.

Whats different for Brett or Aaron?

Defense?

We need to retain our DL/DE we currently have. Our LB core is solid. Make sure to bring back Ben Taylor, he can play all three positions, I think.
Safety, we are fine with Nick Collins. Manuel can be a backup, we have to find a second starting safety.
CB's, Blackmon should perform well as a nickel back an blossom into a fine starting CB once Harris or Woodson leaves. We NEED another, regardless of how he turns out. Dendy and Bush are not the answer for a second starting CB. I like'em both, but I jus don't see starter on either of them. Maybe they will, they each have potential, I jus don't see them being more than a solid Nickel/Dime combo, yet.

Special teams?

Regardless of who the QB is, we need DESPERATELY need a threat KR/PR. Yeah, Koren is a solid KR, but I'd rather see him focus'd more on being the deep threat WR if he is allowed back into the NFL, an stays sober.
Kicker, bring some guys in to compete with Rayner.
Punter, bring some guys in to compete with Ryan.

Really, what is the difference? If I'm being ignorant, I apologize. I've just been pondering this the last few hours and I really don't see it.

Anyone we bring in with Brett at QB we'd need if Aaron was QB.

The only logical difference I can see is a veteran QB if Brett retires to help mentor Aaron.

What do you guys think? What do we go for with Brett vs with Rodgers?

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who would you go after with Brett as your QB that you wouldn't go after with Aaron?

Regardless of who the QB is, we need a reliable TE, we need a game breaking RB and we need another WR. I've said WR wasn't as much of a need, but it is. The last couple games I've seen Brett telling his WR what their route was SUPPOSED to be. Doesn't matter who's throwing the ball if the WR is not in the right place.

Our OL will need another addition. We have a solid foundation but adding another zone blocking OL can't hurt, especially with losing the ZBS master, Jags to BC.

Whats different for Brett or Aaron?

Defense?

We need to retain our DL/DE we currently have. Our LB core is solid. Make sure to bring back Ben Taylor, he can play all three positions, I think.
Safety, we are fine with Nick Collins. Manuel can be a backup, we have to find a second starting safety.
CB's, Blackmon should perform well as a nickel back an blossom into a fine starting CB once Harris or Woodson leaves. We NEED another, regardless of how he turns out. Dendy and Bush are not the answer for a second starting CB. I like'em both, but I jus don't see starter on either of them. Maybe they will, they each have potential, I jus don't see them being more than a solid Nickel/Dime combo, yet.

Special teams?

Regardless of who the QB is, we need DESPERATELY need a threat KR/PR. Yeah, Koren is a solid KR, but I'd rather see him focus'd more on being the deep threat WR if he is allowed back into the NFL, an stays sober.
Kicker, bring some guys in to compete with Rayner.
Punter, bring some guys in to compete with Ryan.

Really, what is the difference? If I'm being ignorant, I apologize. I've just been pondering this the last few hours and I really don't see it.

Anyone we bring in with Brett at QB we'd need if Aaron was QB.

The only logical difference I can see is a veteran QB if Brett retires to help mentor Aaron.

What do you guys think? What do we go for with Brett vs with Rodgers?

A QB's (young or veteran) best friend is a solid running game.
Drafting Adrian Peterson(who will probably be gone before
Green Bay picks) or Marshawn Lynch (who should be right there when we pick) will be the best medicine for a young QB.

Check Alex Smith. Frank Gore bailed the young 49ers QB out of MANY situations and has made Smith look almost servicable.

A young, fast, stud running back w/the line getting another year in the zone blocking scheme will make it MUCH easier on Brett or Aaron.

That will also open things up for the DONALD, and Greg J.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

this is the only thing that would change approach-wise IMO. assuming Brett called it quits, we would have to have a decent plan B in case of an AR injury (god forbid), or if the Aaron experiment is a total disaster (god forbid).

here's something to chew on...when Aaron does take the field, if he doesn't produce, how long before the franchise pulls the plug? it's a loaded question i know, but what the hell.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The needs are the same regardless of who the QB is going to be.

The biggest difference to me is that if we are going to get over the hump and into the playoffs next year those needs to be filled with the best of the best if we go with Rodgers.

If we have Brett than we still need to improve the same positions but I would not think they would have to be the premiere type player Rodgers would need to have around him.

Brett needs sufficiently better and proven players in certain positions but if we expect to be better than 8-8 with Rodgers we probably need the Moss's and Gonzo's to expect to get there.

If we got the the best of both worlds: Brett, Gonzo, and Moss I would already be hunting SB Tickets. I think teams would be hiding in the tunnel before the game.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I still say regardless of the QB, we need to upgrade the same with or without Brett. Again, if Brett is gone, obviously we have to pick up a veteran QB. Other than that, I tihnk we attack FA and the Draft the same.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll get flamed for this, but I see our biggest needs at LT and cornerback. I think Clifton's knees have little mileage to go, and forgive me Tromadz, but I don't have a lot of faith in Dendy.

The above is predicated on Underwood making a full recovery.

I don't believe a star running back is what the Pack needs until the line is more formidable. I like how Denver plugs in whoever to get the job done. I would trade KGB to Washington for Portis though!

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
and forgive me Tromadz, but I don't have a lot of faith in Dendy.

:soapbox:

Hey, the pick for six was sweet, but the post play for six where he was ten yards behing the receiver, not so much. It smelled like burnt toast in my living room, which put a small damper on an otherwise very pleasant evening.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
really, cuz that was manuels fault, which i thought, and was confirmed when i watched it again doing highlights.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'll get flamed for this, but I see our biggest needs at LT and cornerback. I think Clifton's knees have little mileage to go, and forgive me Tromadz, but I don't have a lot of faith in Dendy.

I don't believe a star running back is what the Pack needs until the line is more formidable. I like how Denver plugs in whoever to get the job done. I would trade KGB to Washington for Portis though!

Ok, but how is it different if Brett is the QB or if Aaron is the QB?

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:

Ok, but how is it different if Brett is the QB or if Aaron is the QB?

I don't think our GM cares. He is building this team with a defense first mentality, play smash mouth on offense, throw in shoring up the special teams (depth all around), and then worry about the skill positions.

To answer your question Z, I think if Favre comes back, we should get him another weapon for a receiver, and get another RB. If Aaron takes over, I want us to beef up the D more, and add more depth to the Oline.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
So,
with Aaron, beef up the D.
with Brett, beef up the O.

Not sure if I agree. I say there really isn't much different, save the vet QB of course.

Going with your train of thought. I'd go for the stud RB before I went for a stud D player. Simply because the RB can keep the D off the field.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So,

Not sure if I agree. I say there really isn't much different, save the vet QB of course.

Going with your train of thought. I'd go for the stud RB before I went for a stud D player. Simply because the RB can keep the D off the field.

Not without the O-line my friend, and ours isn't quite there yet.

Wouldn't one more stud DB solidify our secondary? I think Green has some in the tank yet, and Warhawk talks up Arliss Beach (IR).

I do know where you are coming from, and part of me agrees, but I don't think the Defense rebuilding job is done yet!

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
So,

Not without the O-line my friend, and ours isn't quite there yet.

Wouldn't one more stud DB solidify our secondary? I think Green has some in the tank yet, and Warhawk talks up Arliss Beach (IR).

I do know where you are coming from, and part of me agrees, but I don't think the Defense rebuilding job is done yet!

We have a decent OL already. Ahman Green got 1,000 behind it and ppl say he's over the hill. So a stud RB should be able to manage 1,300-1,500 and eat up more time on the clock.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The original post is all over the place, but I will just answer the basic question. If Brett comes back, we have 3 QB's so we don't need to worry about that position. If Brett retires, we need another QB, and Thompson should look for a veteran in free agency. I'm not sure who will be available this year, but somebody along the lines of Kitna or Garcia would probably be best.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
The original post is all over the place, but I will just answer the basic question. If Brett comes back, we have 3 QB's so we don't need to worry about that position. If Brett retires, we need another QB, and Thompson should look for a veteran in free agency. I'm not sure who will be available this year, but somebody along the lines of Kitna or Garcia would probably be best.

With Brett who do we get?
Without Brett who do we get?

The difference, a vet QB. Other than that, I feel our needs stay the same.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The TE position is in worse shape than RB. But if you want to control the clock, wouldn't a bruising back be the way to go. When you say stud RB, I assume you meant the guy that is a threat to score from anywhere on the field, like Ahman used to be.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Zero I often wondered that as well..

It makes some sense to pick up STUD o-l help if the q/b is new/raw

that would be my 1st concern..Make sure that the new guy gets the best protection..

I would say any other spot on the field would be almost the same no matter who the q/b is...

I was confused last year, when people were saying, Brett only has one or 2 years left, get him the help NOW...Because it shouldnt really matter who takes the snap..

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
The TE position is in worse shape than RB. But if you want to control the clock, wouldn't a bruising back be the way to go. When you say stud RB, I assume you meant the guy that is a threat to score from anywhere on the field, like Ahman used to be.

Stud RB = Larry Johnson, Lawrence Marooney, Maurice Jones-Drew, etc.

You basically said what I said with your own special twist to deviate the point I made.

longtimefan said:
Zero I often wondered that as well..

It makes some sense to pick up STUD o-l help if the q/b is new/raw

that would be my 1st concern..Make sure that the new guy gets the best protection..

I would say any other spot on the field would be almost the same no matter who the q/b is...

I was confused last year, when people were saying, Brett only has one or 2 years left, get him the help NOW...Because it shouldnt really matter who takes the snap..

Glad I'm not alone in thinking about this, lol.

I think the difference is very minimal. The only thing obvious to me, a vet QB if Brett is retiring. Any need we have for Brett is a need we have with Aaron. So far, no one has convinced me otherwise.

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Ted has been building this team, so that Aaron Rodgers has to be ONLY a game manager, and not a guy who needs to go out there and win it all, like another quarterback I know of. So, we're playing hard nosed defense, establishing a running game, and opening up the passing game lastly.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I think Ted has been building this team, so that Aaron Rodgers has to be ONLY a game manager, and not a guy who needs to go out there and win it all, like another quarterback I know of. So, we're playing hard nosed defense, establishing a running game, and opening up the passing game lastly.

That's what Mike McCarthy said during the off season. He said Brett won't be called upon to win games only manage the and let the D an running game win the games. Then Brett throws for like 600 passes in the season.

The QB being a game manager is something McCarthy has said before. That's nothing new. Which (thank you) goes with me saying I don't feel there is much difference for what the Packers do in the off season regardless if the QB is Brett or Aaron.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Agreed 100%.

He's building the team so that we won’t need to rely on the QB to win games anymore. So many times in the Sherman Era has Favre been what carried us. Thompson is building this team to make the transition to Rodgers from Favre easier on Rodgers.

This is why I believe a young RB is what Green Bay is going to look at in the Draft regardless of whether or not Ahman Green returns to the team. I think it's going to be Marshawn Lynch if he's on the board at the time we pick.

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
smlutz said:

That's what Mike McCarthy said during the off season. He said Brett won't be called upon to win games only manage the and let the D an running game win the games. Then Brett throws for like 600 passes in the season.

The QB being a game manager is something McCarthy has said before. That's nothing new. Which (thank you) goes with me saying I don't feel there is much difference for what the Packers do in the off season regardless if the QB is Brett or Aaron.

Whats the reason for the bolding?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
smlutz said:

Whats the reason for the bolding?

He likes to make himself feel important that way :cheerleader:

but lutz you make valids points..

As the saying goes defesne wins championships..

Look at Big Ben up until this past year, and for that matter the Bears..
Both very good defensives and just needed a q/b to manage the game properly..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts