1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Favre vs Rodgers debate here only/Anything Favre Here only

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by wizard 87, Oct 5, 2008.

1. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,977
    seems like yesterday when he threw 6 TDs, people were calling him MVP and that he would get 40 tds, and rubbing it in the face of PACKER fans that AR wasn't close to his TD total yet

2. Brett_Henderson

Brett_Henderson Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well... the season is winding down.. The only real thing I can take from this thread, is that a Favre vs Rodgers debate is unsettled. And really can't be a debate until Rodgers has 16 seasons under his belt. Oh wait.. nevermind.. that kinda career happens once every 100 years. Make that 10 seasons.. Umm nevermind again.. What do you think the chances are that Rodgers (or any other QB) will last that long ? Let's shoot for 7 seasons and pray that an already injury-prone player can get past 5 seasons. Especially with the likes of TT finding offensive linemen for him.

It pains me to post this, because I really like Rodgers. I think we're darn lucky to have him... but reality will set in soon. There's a reason we enjoyed a 16 season run as an NFL elite franchise. there's a reason that without a "Jerry Rice", or "Emmit Smith" during that time, we were still an annual playoff contender. There's a reason players like Brooks, Levens, Grant and Chumura played like pro-bowlers.

The defacto firing of a living legend (who's still playing very well) has damaged this franchise beyond repair. Favre restored the magic to Lambeau.. his play over the years has made Green Bay a place where players WANTED to be... and now some want out of Green Bay. Ryan Grant himself said that a big reason he played so well, was WHO he was palying WITH.

Actually.. Rodgers deserves a trade. We're in for a long, 1980s-like drought. TT is in the process of "Lion-izing" the Packers, and I think Rodgers deserves better. If he stays here.. he'll show flashes of brilliance, but he'll end up like Archie Manning, or Doug Hart, or even Lynn Dickey. A good QB on bad team who will have the scars to prove it.

3. Rodgersfan1985

Rodgersfan1985 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Geez you write that like we are the bengals or somethin, have Faith in your team BUD!!!! And also, Rodgers is right where he needs to be and wants to be. And I dont give a rats *** what presence favre leaves on the field, HE STILL HAS THROWN 19 INT!! And plus I think Rodgers has shown some toughness this year especially in TB,

geez you write that like we are the damn bengals or somethin......... We went 13-3 last year with almost the same exact team!! And this year we've lost 5-6 games by 4pts or less!! And rodgers showed his toughness in TB " And believe m

4. Rodgersfan1985

Ratings:
    +0
    Geez you write that like we are the bengals or somethin, have Faith in your team BUD!!!! And also, Rodgers is right where he needs to be and wants to be. And I dont give a rats *** what presence favre leaves on the field, HE STILL HAS THROWN 19 INT!! And plus I think Rodgers has shown some toughness this year especially in TB,

geez you write that like we are the damn bengals or somethin......... We went 13-3 last year with almost the same exact team!! And this year we've lost 5-6 games by 4pts or less!! And rodgers showed his toughness in TB " And believe me, that boy was in pain big time haha

5. Rodgersfan1985

Ratings:
    +0
    sorry for the double post comp sucks

6. Brett_Henderson

Brett_Henderson Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to have faith, but I've seen enough football to not have BLIND faith... TT and crew are like a scary sequel to what happened after the Lombardi era. Stupid, arrogant, almost defiant for the sake of sticking their tongues out at us, decision making. No accountablity.. just bizarre commands from on high; totally ignoring the chemistry and character that KEEPS a team from becoming Bengal-like.

To have a nearly two decade long run of winning football was magical. Very few franchises EVER get that. Those in my age-group remember how it is to go that long without a playoff appearance (aside from a token wild-card). Thats pretty much what most franchises settle for... because Favre's come along once ever 100 years.

I don't think Favre's play itself would have gotten us more wins this year.. Rodgers (like I said) is a very good QB. It tickles me that we have him... but it's how Favre was treated.. what that did to the "team".. the position it put Rodgers in.. TT, has been shoving him out the door for three years now. There are rumblings from within. Players are looking over their shoulders.. Hawk wants a trade.. Woodson and Driver mght just say, "to heck with it".. Watch our bench these next two games. We ARE the Bengals now. And if TT will run Favre out of town.. what do you think will be up his sleave next.. in this desperate attempt of his to make this "his" team.

It has become apparent to the players that McCarthy is in over his head... his main qualifications are that he won't question the mighty TT.. he's a good little coach... After all.. if you speak out about the TT/Favre divorce (ala John Ryan).. poof.. you're cut for no obvious reason.

Last I'll say on this, is that there is a good side to it. Rodgers got his "rookie" year out of the way.. got those growing pains put away..and he looks very capable.. It's just a shame that TT will continue to sterilize this team of all character, chemistry and passsion.

7. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    what is there to explain? Favre had a resurgent year due to playing on a good, healthy team against a less-than-mediocre schedule.

Once again, I am not saying Rodgers is better than Favre... I am saying the dismal performance by the 2008 Packers cannot be attributed completely to Favre being gone. Football involves too many factors for one player to worth 8 wins.

8. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    Hello, after today's performance ( the same as the last 10 games... ) I had to join a forum...
    About the thread, Aaron Rodgers is playing EXTREMELY well, Pro Bowl well, but... he's just not a winner. I'M NOT SAYING IS HIS FAULT! The Coaches are making bad calls, THE MEDICAL DEPARTMENT AND THE PHYSICAL PREPARATORS ARE CLEARLY RESPONSIBLES. I mean, half the team is tired, the other half is injured. But Favre would've won those close games. I deeply believe Aaron will be a HoF, but not yet. And BTW, TT WILL trade our first 3 picks to choose WR's...

9. retiredgrampa

retiredgrampa Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    BTW, Favre has in the last 4 games a QB rating average of 64. How far would that have taken us?

10. Veretax

Veretax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    I don't blame Rodgers for this our O-line has been lousy in pass and run blocking, the only thing that saved Favre last year was grant getting on a phenomenal streak and his knowledge of the offense. Hopefully with a year under his belt Rodgers will be better next year, but I will always thinking fondly of Favre. Sorry, but I was a Packers fan even before he came along, and he restored the pride for me.

11. LindyChop

LindyChop Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Rodgers is not the problem. Bob Sanders, our D-Line, Mike Stock, our O-Line, and yes, Mike McCarthy are the problem. First, we have limited talent at D-Line. Second, we have a D-Coordinator that doesn’t adapt to the lack of talent he has on his D-Line. The NFL is all about manufacturing pressure on the QB. We had a D-Line that could do that last year…this year we don’t, yet Sanders insists on sitting in his 4-3 defense and won’t bring pressure…..hell, we have 2 of the best corners in the league that can play man coverage but he plays passive. He’s gotta realize we don’t have Charles Haley, Russell Maryland, Jim Jeffcoat, Leon Lett, et.al on his D-Line. Sanders doesn’t play to his strengths which is the secondary. Ted Thompson needs to draft better in the O-and D lines. Mike Stock….well, enough said. As far as McCarthy is concerned…well, we’ve been in some close games and a couple Rodgers had a chance to bring us back (J-ville, Houston, Carolina) and he threw interceptions. However, the Bears and Vikings losses are squarely on McCarthy and Stock. McCarthy, as usual, goes into a shell or gets too cute. If I see 5 wides at the 4 yard line again I’m gonna puke. Way to take away any run threat or give protection….what does he think defenses do when they get in to the red zone….THEY BLITZ!!!!. The two drives to set up field goals were pathetic. 3 straight runs? In Minnesota he made Crosby kick a 51 yarder. Last night, he makes him kick about a 42 in those conditions. Don’t go 22 personnel and try to run against a 9 man front. Rodgers did his job to get them in position based on McCarthy’s mind-set. How about throwing the ball on 3rd and 2? Remember when McCarthy talked about bringing toughness to the team…that Pittsburgh toughness? McCarthy has neutered the team. I’ll give him 1 more year. Unless they win the North and advance in the playoffs next year he needs to go. To do that will require McCarthy getting rid of Sanders and Stock. If he hitches his wagon to them he’ll be done.

12. Rodgersfan1985

Ratings:
    +0
    well put indeed

13. OHIOFAN

OHIOFAN Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Very well put Rodgers fan, It is amazing when people blame Rodgers for losses like this. To say he is not a winner crazy. He has a deep drive to win, (also evident by the fact that he has trouble sleeping when the team looses). Do you think that a looser has that mind set? Did the Bulls win in the 1st year that M.J. played. The problem with the Packers starts with the coaching. The head coach plays to protect his lead and does not let his team attack, this downfall started against the Lions early in the year. Rodgers had 3 td passes by half time and then coach thought he could play it safe and run the ball. I have no problem with running the ball, but they need to stick with what is working. I am sick and tired of drives being ruined by Grant being hit in the backfield for a loss. The team seems content to loose, the receivers drop some amazingly easy balls every game and if they caught just one of the deep balls that Rodgers put on the money no one would state that he is not a winner. Favre does not, not did not have as much talent as Rodgers does (he knows the game better and has more physical gifts) the only thing that Favre had is experience and the reputation of never being counted out and the fans and team bought into it. Rodgers is the one player who the fans need to be thankful they have, we have no run d, the coaches do not know what they want to do on pass d, the o-line can't block worth a darn, Grant gets yards until it is a crucial down and then most of the time he gets nailed and falls down at contact and the receivers are not catching the ball nearly as well as they did last year. Also the special teams is horrible, when we do get a decent return it gets called back for holding or blocking in the back and on top of the o-line not being able to block, look at all the penalties. With all this wrong the team has lost almost all of its games by 4 points or less, if they fix just half of the problems they will be in the playoffs next year. The team needs to draft impact players (game changers) not add depth, most of the guys on the O and D lines that we have now can be used for depth. One pass rusher, and a kick returner would make a world of difference on this team.

14. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    well put.. i'm also curious why no play action anymore. Green Bay has never been a shotgun team, but MM loves to run shotgun. He runs in the wrong situations and passes in the wrong situations.

15. Rodgersfan1985

Ratings:
    +0
    I know right, I think rodgers can be his most dangerous when running the play action, especially because of his mobility.

16. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    the old man is gone. Rodgers can make plays with his legs if he needs too. Plus, the guy has a great play action fake. He fooled the Bears numerous times last night.

17. Schmitto

Schmitto Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Come on guys, TT made the right call letting Favre go...Do we not recall TT goin down to mississippi in like March to announce Brett's return then Brett backs out again? I love Brett Favre as much as anyone but he cant play forever. Rodgers' contract was coming closer and closer to its end and we had to throw in our future before it was too late. Giving A-rod the nod is so much better for the Packers' future, if we hadnt, we'd be stuck with a very young quarterback with out any learning experience and more then likely it wouldnt have turned out as good as it has for the Falcons. Get real guys, this was a move for the future of the organization and it was inevitable. I love what the future holds for Aaron Rodgers and the Packers IF he can get a consistent running game and o-line..a defense wouldnt hurt either.

18. Veretax

Veretax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    Thompson has been looking to get rid of Favre for several Years Like it or not, this team is hurting without his experience under center. That's not a slap at Rodgers, he's a good QB and will be, but that instinctive play that Favre had in our system won't be there for a while. get used to it.

19. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    Favre threw a great pass today to Phlip Merling, the rookie defensive end for the Miami Dolphins. This is exactly what Green Bay needed this year... a QB who knows how to complete a perfect pass to the other team's defensive line.

He also got outplayed all year by Chad Pennington (YES, that Chad Pennington).

20. Rodgersfan1985

Ratings:
    +0
    A Rod - 341/536 4038 yds 28TD 13 INT 93.8 Passer rating

brett- 343/522 3472yds 22 TD's 22 INT 81 Rating

I think the stats can speak for themselves

21. carol k

carol k Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I do think that a quarterback needs good receivers to excel and not get interceptions. I think that the Pack has great receivers, but IMHO, the Jets don't. Maybe that is why Brett had so many interceptions this year.

I also think Aaron is a good quarterback, but without the excellent receivers the Pack has, what would he have done?

22. Veretax

Veretax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah that was a pretty sad play at the end of the half for the Jets. However, here's a stat to consider

Green Bay 2007 - 13-3
    Green Bay 2008 - 6 -10
    Difference: 7 More Losses and Failed to make the Playoffs

NY Jets 2007 - 4 -12
    NY Jets 2008 - 9-7
    Difference: 5 More Wins and failed to make the Playoffs

At least NY had a small chance of making the playoffs come the last weekend of the year.

23. OHIOFAN

OHIOFAN Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The Jets have a good group of receivers and a better running game than the pack. The Packers wide receivers were not nearly as sure handed this year as they were last year. I think that Brett would have faired worse on the Pack than he did on the Jets. Without a consistent running game and the o-line crumbling for the most part Favre would have let a few of his famous floaters go. It all boils down to his outlook on the game. Before Brett broke the pregame huddel he said someting like "lets win one more, if we don't, we don't, I still love you guys." This careless play is why he throws the stupid gimme picks year after year. Brett needs to view the importance of the game as much as the fans and his head coach who just got canned.

24. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    You would think so, but some people just can't ackowledge the truth. Favre is done. He can't play in cold weather any more and should have retired after last season.

25. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    This is because the Jets had a better team than the Packers this year and beat up on some easy competition. The Jets got to play the NFC West and AFC West, probably the worst two divisions in football, not to mention a game against the Bengals.

Favre looked pretty horrible when the playoffs were on the line against a 2 win Seattle team and the Dolphins.