1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Favre vs Rodgers debate here only/Anything Favre Here only

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by wizard 87, Oct 5, 2008.

1. wizard 87

wizard 87 Old Enough To Know Better

Ratings:
    +11
    It's amazing how a delusional fool such as yourself would be willing to show your lack of common sense.
    Favre is gone never to return.....that's a fact so move on already.

2. jimdier

jimdier Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well said. I remember people calling for BF's head those first years. I also do not remember Favre being a leader from the start. Reggie came in and I seem to remember Brett learning a lot about leadership from White and the like.

I still wish BF was here, but he is not. I think Rodgers has the abilities to improve and develop into a leader. I am not sure I feel the same about MM.

3. wischeez

wischeez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
  4. Brett_Henderson

Brett_Henderson Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    (I'll paste my response from the TT bash thread)

I'd like to see a poll of the Jets players.. see if they think having Favre on the field, OR sideline makes a difference ?

(I think we know the answer)

5. wischeez

wischeez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    QB 4 Favre, Brett ACT TDS 20 INT 15 YDS 2,845 RTG 88.2 NYJ

QB 12 Rodgers, Aaron ACT TDS 22 INT 11 YDS 3,192 RTG 92.1 GB

Logic dictates I post this.

6. Brett_Henderson

Ratings:
    +0

This is an awkward thread for me to post in.. I really REALLY like Rodgers. Look at the last couple decades, as teams grope for decent starting QBs; while we've gone from Majkowski, to Favre, to Rodgers (with Hasselbeck, Brunell, and Warner as backups). I honestly believe Aaron is as good a QB as you could have at starter, and will only get better...I'm glad we have him.

But in 2008, a better QB was ours for the taking. I'll save judgement on the decision to not 'let' Favre be your QB, for the TT/MM bash thread, and just counter the Baseball-like QB rating, stats, with the 8 vs 5 wins stat. And wonder about things like 3rd-down conversion stats (I'd bet the Favre is demolishing Rodgers there), and point out things that have even been mentioned by game-day announcers... "the recievers aren't finishing routes". Can you imagine a reciever having to face Favre in the huddle after giving up on a route ? Rodgers is still learning to not only SEE things like that, but how to deal with them. That (and all the other intangibles TT let wonder off to NY) are what frustrate me.

All the games we've lost by so few points, are a product of a team not motivated to dig deep and finish things off. Get that 1st down, late in the 4th. Hold'em to 3-and-out late in the 4th. The whole team; both sides of the ball, played with more purpose, when a #4 is there. I'll mention again, what our bench looked like during the last game. They were lethargic, almost looking like they were waiting for the clock to run out. Do you think that would happen with #4 there ?

Remember Nitschke's famous line, as he left the field in the Ice Bowl ? "Don't let me down !" Players like that have impact beyond what a coach can do. Favre is one of those players. I think Aaron can become one, but Favre still IS one.. Running a player like that out of town has taken its toll.

7. Packerbacker87

Packerbacker87 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Rodgers has had a very impressive season stat-wise. Quarterbacking, however, means a lot more than just stats. Look at Ben Roethlisberger, whom has had a pretty poor season stat-wise, but somehow wills his team to victory (and comes alive when he absolutely has the last opportunity to do so.) Rodgers has been faltering in clutch situations, though the defense really hasn't helped, either. Whether or not Favre's presence alone raised and inspired the efforts of the defense last year is up to debate, however, it's really been the defense that's been a let down this year (as well as the running game). The defense needs a massive overhaul in the off-season, and the o-line needs to be tweaked as well. Rodgers is our QB for the future, and if given better tools to work with, he can become our leader as well.

8. OHIOFAN

OHIOFAN Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree 100% that the defense and our running game has been a big let down this year. The Steelers have a great defense and can run the ball, that is why Ben seems to will them to win so often. Ben simply has to hand the ball off and not play terrible and the Steelers will win more often than not. If Ben throws 1 td a game the Steelers will probably win. If Rodgers were starting for the Steelers they would be Super Bowl favorites b/c he is a developing playmaker who is accurate and is smart with the ball. I sure hope that T.T. fixes the O-line along with the much help we need on special teams and the D-line. Look how good Matt Ryan looks having a running back that can take the pressure off him and allow him to play action. Rodgers looked unstoppable early on in the season b/c teams did not know yet that the Packers would be terrible for the most part running the ball, they were playing the run based on last years productivity running the ball. Now teams know that our running game won't beat them, they have to shut down our receivers and pressure the keck out of Rodgers and they will win. This team needs a lot of help, I am sick of T.T. trading away high draft picks to get more in the later rounds. I know that he knows what he is doing, but we are getting a lot of good players later in the draft; this team needs gamechangers-we have enough good players and enough depth.

9. Packerbacker87

Packerbacker87 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. We have a very young team with many talented players that will eventually become superstars (Greg Jennings, IF we can re-sign him)...what we lack now are veteran players with game changing experience (with the exception, in my opinion, being Charles Woodson). We need to use our offseason to sign some proven players. Look what Jared Allen's done for the Vikings D...I think back to Reggie White, and how his acquisition was a cornerstone in the success of the 90's Packers.

10. OHIOFAN

OHIOFAN Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well said Packbacker 87

11. wizard 87

wizard 87 Old Enough To Know Better

Ratings:
    +11
    Green bay packers with 3 games to go-
    Total rushing offense- 18th
    Total Passing Offense- 10th
    Total offense- 11th

Total Defense- 23rd
    Passing defense - 12th
    Rushing Defense - 27th - That hurts !

Interesting QB numbers-

Aaron Rodgers - 3,192 yards 63.6 % completion, 22TD 11 INT 92.1 rating
    Peyton Manning - 3225 yards 64.4% completion, 22TD 12 INT 88.8
    Matt Ryan - 2940 yards 62 5% completion , 14 TD 7 INT 92
    Brett Favre - 2845 yards 68.4% completion, 20TD 15INT 88.2

So Compare A-rod to two big name veterans and the top first year starter???? Kind of kills any questions about the QB play doesn't it.

Let the discussion begin !

12. Brett_Henderson

Ratings:
    +0
    No.. QB play boils down to wins. And I've no doubt Rodgers will be a winner. He's a very good QB getting better.. We're lucky to have him.

Favre has taken his teams into 22 playoff games.. under every combination of injury circumstance, a dozen or more defenses, lord knows how many WR/RB/TE /OL mixes, under SEVEN "boss" combos (4 coaches, 3 GMs), over 17 years. And he's on the verge of doing it for a 23rd time under his 9th boss-combo with a BRAND NEW team that won FOUR games last year. His credentials and achhievments are not only above discussion.. he's peerless. He was playing (and is playing) some of his most effective football.. and he got run out of Green Bay by the likes of (I can't even type his name; wrong thread anyway)

13. wischeez

wischeez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    My, my, do you also draw his bath for him?

14. Brett_Henderson

Ratings:
    +0
    Ummmmm...

:thinking:

Nevermind

15. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,983

I love the same team argument

New right tackle, new left guard, new nose tackle, one new LB, and new kicker and Brett

and the Packer D?

5 starters from last year are OUT

it is missing at least 4 starters

16. doughsellz

doughsellz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Let me go on record stating that I firmly believed it was a mistake to fire Coach Sherman after only one failed season. I make this statement only because most people will reply " Sherman was lucky to have the NAME under center & that's why Sherman was so successful."

If that's the case then why were the Packers so successful in '07? Do most fans want to have it both ways? Do they believe it was the NAME making GB a 53-27 W-L team from '00-'04 & not the coaching of Mike Sherman? Do they then believe it was not the NAME who performed superbly in the clutch in '07 but other factors that ultimately made the difference for a 13-3 team in '07?

I believe it was a near-perfect mix of coaching, determination & talent that made those teams successful. Without one of those main ingredients the '08 campaign has turned sour & I think we all know what's missing.

Rodgers is immensely talented & should develop into a fine NFL QB. His 1st season starting has been a statistical success but there have been key moments when his inexperience has been apparent.

Exhibit A - taking a sack last week against HOU on the final offensive possession.

Exhibit B - tossing an INT into triple coverage on the next to last offensive possession against CAR.

The sad fact is TT, MM & MM were prepared to accept this type of season for the Packers. :mad:

17. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,983
    He didnt perform to start the game off and it took him some time to get rolling,..

But TAKING a sack

WTF?

Did you actually watch it?

4 steps back he turned to set his feet and at same time they guy was on him

there have been plenty of times this season he has held on to long and took a sack

But that one sorry sir, but you are 100% WRONG

18. Rodgersfan1985

Rodgersfan1985 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought my AROD jersey the other day and I feel pretty good knowing he is goona be our quarterback for awhile. And yes after watchin favre torch the tenessee titans in that game I was like "Aw **** did GB make the right decision here", but then he loses to DEN and then SF????? FAVRE NEVER LOSES TO SF HAHA, but the point is people, yes I do miss Brett Favre as our quarterback, I miss the big plays he used to make for us, I was there in DEN that night he threw that bomb to Jennings that put Denver to sleep in overtime, but what I dont miss is the stupid *** garbage you would see him throw and NOONE would be around for the catch. Whereas Rodgers makes pretty good desicions with the ball. yes he is young and he will make mistakes in the future, but I really like what I see in this kid.

19. Staggerz

Staggerz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Brett just seemed better at winning the "close ones". If we would have won just half of the "close ones" what would our record be?

20. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,983

WHy is it everyone forgets a kicker missed a fg

and the D allowed a 75 yard drive ?

Those 2 things happen what would the record be

21. GDP56

GDP56 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Re: Fair request Favre vs Rodgers debate here only.

I agree.......well said............our D comes down to earth........we should have paid cory williams his due..........now we have to rebuilt the line

22. wischeez

wischeez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Re: Fair request Favre vs Rodgers debate here only.

I don't know why everyone thinks Williams would have made a difference. Here's his stats from the Browns:

Last Seven Games
    Date Opp. TD Sacks Int FF
    10/26 JAC 0 0 0 0
    11/02 BAL 0 0 0 0
    11/06 DEN 0 0 0 0
    11/17 BUF 0 0 0 0
    11/23 HOU 0 0 0 0
    11/30 IND 0 0 0 0
    12/07 TEN 0 0 0 1

23. PackFanNChiTown

PackFanNChiTown Bear Fan's Bane

Ratings:
    +364
    I firmly supported the BF trade and still do. I KNEW we'd be going through a painful transition, (tho I got slightly optimistic after the game in DET).

Would we have been better off w/Favre this year? Probably, his experience would have definitely helped us out. However after the championship game last year, when he threw yet one more dumb *** interception to lose yet another playoff game, (just venting, I know the team contributed to those losses also), I'd experienced the proverbial "last straw."

When Favre retired I was relieved; when I heard he wanted to come back I felt the bile rise up in the back of my throat. I really didn't want to face another disappointing playoff game and truly believe Favre plateaued last year.

Well I got my wish and now can only hope MGT takes enough action to revamp our lines and defense.

I wish BF the best this year, though the Jets may be hard pressed to make the playoffs now that they're in a three-way tie for first in the East. I don't know if they can make the playoffs as a wild card so they'll have to win the division in order to make it from the looks of it.

24. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    If everbody would like to see some actual facts, head on over to espn.com or sportsline.com and look at what they are saying about Favre and the Jets. Every analyst and sports writer is saying that the Jets are winning IN SPITE OF Favre. It is a well-known fact that he's lost it.

25. CalifPacker

CalifPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    What a joke!

I just saw the cbssportsline that Favre was named to the Pro-bowl.Hahaha!

Someone should check the stat sheets because he leads the NFL in INTERCEPTIONS with 17.

Way to go Brett... :rofl: :lol: