1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Favre vs Rodgers debate here only/Anything Favre Here only

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by wizard 87, Oct 5, 2008.

1. jeha25

jeha25 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    well guys, imo its too early to tell if rodgers will be good or bad, 1 year is not enough to tell that (the bears browns and bills can tell you a bit about that), let alone half a year. I think that rodgers contract was premature, and it was a statement saying "this is how sure we are of this kid" Wich isnt necessarily a bad thing, but i dont think that even in 2 years he'll be worth that much...i do hope i'm wrong.

And regarding the rest of the team i think the qb switch is to blame a lot for the downturn in performance on both sides of the ball. Its kinda tough to give it your all when you feel the administration isnt giving the team the best chances for this year. And that's the only explanation i can think of for this lack of performance. And its very easy to look at stats, but i think intangible's are worth a lot too...confidence, leadership qualities, we traded all that away. Rodgers could be great in the future...not too sure about him but i really really hope so...but for this year ego's ruined our season.

This was bound to happen...but after a 13-3 season...it sucks

2. RICKPB

RICKPB Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I never really lke the packers that much but love football. Last year I found myself voting for the packers to win everyweek because of Farve. Because I like the PLAYER in FARVE and it made me like the packers last year. Now this year I have find myself voting for the jets and against the packers because of farve again. It is not anything about the packers fan base but more the team itself because of what they did to Farve. I live in MD, and other people I have talked to,feel the way I do. Win or lose I believe the packers lost money by letting Farve go. How many out of state people have Arron Rodger Jerseys, not many. Now how many have Brett Favre Jerseys, A lot. That is just one instance of losing some of the Market. Why wouldn't the packers just wait 1 or 2 more years with farve playing, which is still playing great. He would of retired and none of this would be an issue that will haunt them for the next 10 years.Also I keep hearing the packer fans say the O Line sucks and that is why Arron Rodgers keeps getting sacked. Well Cowboys O line sucks when crappy QBs play but when Romo plays the o Line plays better . Maybe the o line does not believe in Arron Rodgers as much as they did in Farve. Just my 2 cents

3. ahasuerus99

ahasuerus99 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Concerning my previous post concerning Aaron Rodgers dropping backwards, two things. One, to pick one thing out of a long post and pretend that addressing it somehow invalidates the majority of the arguments doesn't really get you anywhere. More importantly, are you actually trying to argue that the play called for a nine or ten step drop? No play in football would call for that. At most it might be a five step drop, at which point he needs to step up or release the ball, not continue to drift backward. I guarantee Green Bay does not have a play in their offense that requires a nine yard drop.

4. jeha25

jeha25 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i totally agree with you, not to sure as to wich post your referring too, but 9 step drop will never be planned in a play. Thats pretty much not knowing what to do...hell, look at the rookie qb's their doing good in that department. Ryan and flacco take their 3 step drop and start running to the sides. And thats how u do it...gives u a better line of sight to most of your receivers as well.

5. JbShell

JbShell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You know my point refering to designed plays had nothing to do with design of 10 step drop but it could have been a 5 step which was promptly followed by a retreating qb trying not to get killed when the middle collapsed.
    One thing I think we can all agree on that Aaron will have growing pains. I remember Favre having his as well. The difference is the D Favre had a great D behind him his first 5 years. Which allowed him to make mistakes. This years D has been spotty at best. We have all seen Favre thow 4,5,6 ints and we just blindly say he is trying to win the game at all cost. When Aaron throws 3 we are ready to say he sucks or is incapable of doing well.
    Favre would have thrown 5 ints in the Saints Game to press to win. Favre would not have sold out on the TD run. Favre also would not have laid the hit Aaron did on the Saftey to prevent the pick six. SO in my mind this team is in good hands with Aaron at the helm. He has shown leadership and the ability to make great plays.
    Be honest when you see what he brings to the table and take off the Favre blinders. We all loved and love Favre. It is the past, Aarons the future.

6. 4rules

4rules Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's the intangibles that Favre brings that are the biggest difference. And, it's obviously what this year's team is missing. The Packers are not only missing Brett's talent, they're missing his leadership, experience, and his unequaled passion and love for the game - that creates an excitement and confidence among his teammates no-one can match. Aaron Rodgers is a capable quarterback. Brett Favre is without parallel

7. Jafo

Jafo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    There are certain decisions made through out a life time that may leave some of us scratching our heads. First one for me was going to war in Iraq, I understood the need for Afghanistan but couldn't justify Iraq. Second was voting the same idiot into the Whitehouse twice. Third would be telling a legend he can't play for you based on Ageism or because he said he was done. Maybe Tiger Woods should have given up golf, maybe Ali should have never been allowed to fight again. You don't tell a legend that takes you one game away from the Superbowl that the train has left the station. I like Arron Rogers, I think he has the ability to become a fantastic quarterback, maybe not as good as Drew Bree's, but that remains to be seen. Making a managerial decision that told a legend to go somewhere else and play was one of the worst decisions I have ever seen. There are certain things you know are bad before they even take place. Mike McCarthy will be known for this decision... and only this decision in his career, nothing else. Call it common sense fortune telling 101. Trust me, just watch.

8. hybriddragonfly

hybriddragonfly Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

totally agree with this post!!!!!!!!!!!!! we lack leadership from the coach and no one has filled in #4 shoes, Arron will be a good QB but he will never be a leader IMO

9. joeyharrington

joeyharrington Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    THIS IS NO FREAKING DEBATE. RODGERS WILL ALWAYS BE A FREAKING MEDIOCRE PLAYER. BRETT FAVRE IS A GAME CHANGING PLAYER. LOOK WHAT HE'S DONE UP IN NEW YORK. THAT TEAM IS PATHETIC BEFORE HE ARRIVES. AND NOW WITH HIM THEY'RE IN THE PLAYOFF HUNT. I SURE WOULD LOVE TO SEE BRETT FAVRE WIN THE SUPERBOWL JUST TO RUB IT IN TED (THIS IS MY TEAM) THOMPSON. YEAH THAT'LL FEEL REALL REALL SWEET.

10. scotman

scotman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, but do you have to shout?

11. rocksteady1978

rocksteady1978 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    ok people i definitely agree that ted thompson made a huge mistake in letting favre go but i am also not going to get on the aaron rodgers band wagon this guy is a bum oh wait i apologize he is a big BUM there thats better i have been a loyal and dedicated fan for 25 years and i know talent when i see it this guy has nothing he makes the plays he makes cause he has outstanding wide reicevers and to add to that note when u take a boneafide leader like brett farve out of the equation the moral on the team suffers ive been watching everyone of these games and the players aren't playing with confidence they don't believe in the team thats what happens when u lose a leader like brett favre look at the jets for instance jericho crotchery have u ever heard of the guy till this year no but favre has made him a somebody just like the jets are rallying around him so when u call ted thomspon's decision a blunder im a little offended by that it wasn't a blunder it was the most uncomprehendable mess up of his life and one of the most piss poor decisions i have ever seen a gm make how do u trade a hall of famer for a guy who hasn't even proven himself ill tell you its because hes a selfish little prick and just wanted to start his own dynasty in the packers and is paying for it now. I really hate to bash the packers organization cause im a die hard like i hope everyone else is but its killing me to watch games we should win hands down and lose cause the players don't believe and thats what im seeing if anyone thinks im just crazy let me know but its how i see it thanks

12. JbShell

JbShell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Funny most of you would not have a clue if it fell out of the sky landed on you face and wiggled. You know talent huh. Well I remember Brett fuddling his way his first 2 to three years. Yeah BRETTS great he is the man. Yes Rodgers sucks because he has great recievers. Favre is great because he makes great recievers. COME THE F on are you kidding me. Favre does well it is him. Does crappy it is the recievers. Aaron does well it is all the recievers Aaron does poorly it is because he sucks. As I recall you still have to throw the ball. Ahhh hell why bother trying to talk SENSE to those who think the have a clue about NFL talent. Just because you watch a show about firemen dont mean you should run out and go into burning buildings. Stick to what know.
    GAFC

13. rocksteady1978

Ratings:
    +0
    again i say rodgers is a bum im not going to get a someones nutz just cause he is surrounded by talent favre has nobody's and yet there record is better amazing how the jets did so horrible last year this year they are doing good and funny how we did so good last year and this year we are sucking it up well lets take a look at this situation it doesn't take and einstein to figure it out we lost brett favre and the jets got brett favre hmmm i mean please people if u honestly think arod(what joke) is the answer or is going to be even a good gb in the nfl your nutz does he put up statistics sure but crumbles under preesure and im sick of hearing people say oh but is his first year as a starter well thats nice matt ryan and flacco is their first year but they seem to be having good success so please give me another excuse or better yet quit giving aaron rodgers excuses on why he isn't doing a good job the guy is a bum bottom line and even if are defense and run game were playing better he would still lose the big games for us cause he can't handle pressure and thats not something u can teach so get off his nuts and quit giving him outs i understand this is who were stuck with but if u try and even glorify him u know absolutely nothing about football and should take up water polo for a sport cause football is not for u

14. JbShell

JbShell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Amazing how they also spent money elsewhere in FA market with o-line d-line drafting and the like. I am not saying Farve hasnt done well there he has. I am happy for him. But since HE DOES NOT PLAY FOR THE PACKERS NE MORE you and some other tools need to move on. You dont have to like Rodgers but to call him a bum means you know nothing of the game and if you were a "DIEHARD" you would do better than to sound a little less than a "BLOWHARD"

15. rocksteady1978

Ratings:
    +0
    yes i know nothing of the game i know that we aren't making the playoffs and why we have the same team we did last year minus favre explain that one dumbass i mean damn i want the packers to do well i wish aaron rodgers would do better but what u see is what u get and he just isn't the answer im sorry i call it how i see it take today for example he throws 3 tds thats awesome are defense played like crap but and the key but is we had a a minute twenty three to move down the field and potentially win the game back what does he do throws into quadriple coverage i know i know all of ya are goin to say well favre's done that in the pass true enough favre also won games for us this bum hasn't every time he's had the chance to be the hero he has failed miserably what good are all the stats he puts up if he can't win the game favre use to do it so why can't rodgers other qb's in the league do it why not rodgers cause like i said moron he is a bum get off his nutz quit cosigning on his dick unless thats what u do well then by all means continue but rodgers is not the answer and i honestly don't see him getting better then what he is now i hope im wrong but ive got a pretty good sense when it comes to watching players play and i just don't think then man has it and yes i am a diehard but i despise and i mean absolutely despise the upper management for making this call on favre/rodgers i still root for my green and gold and watch them faithfully every sunday i just hate seeing games we should win and lose because we don't have a leader at qb the players don't believe in him it shows by their play its not rocket science they don't believe in arod as yall call him and neither do i he's an average qb that puts up good numbers cause of his amazing wideouts such as driver jennings jones nelson martin lee

16. JbShell

JbShell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    GEEEEE Rocktool I mean I have not been on Rodgers nutz like you seem to be on Favre's I have never said I agreed with managments decision to get rid of Favre but honestly I dont think Favre wanted to be there anymore ne way. Rodgers has played what 12 FULL games. He has been effective. Runs the offense well. You can say and call me whatever pet names you want but the fact remains get a defense behind him and the outcome is differant. If you honestly belive Favre would be all that much better in the same situation who knows. Yes the only stat that matters are W's but he doesnt play defense or special teams. maybe if he did the record would be different. He plays the game with passion and he is competive. The same traits we love about Favre. So really man become a Jets fan if you dont like watching the bum. Thats cool. And now this is not the same 14-4 team as last year. All QB's make mistakes EVEN FAVRE remember . Back in the 1992 and 93 season Favre still benefited from a better run game and D. But whatever man hopefully you can sit back later in life and say Rodgers made you a believer. Then again oh nevermind it is beyond expectations that you would give any passes to a first year starter right.

17. rocksteady1978

Ratings:
    +0
    ok u have some valid points but as far as pet names u started in a the name calling buddy i was just stating the rodgers is a bum and yes he is a first year starter and yes are defense and special teams has played horrible but again he had a chance to win games in the end of some of those close games we lost he just can't handle the pressure and as far as being a jets fan i kinda am cause i do love watching favre play and im not on favres not i don't have to be he's a legend point proven in all areas of the field but im tired of people in hear on the news saying how great aaron rodgers is and he plays the game with passion are u kidding me he doesn't even go down and celebrate with his teamates after a td he runs to the sidelines the only passion ill give him is gutting it out when he got hurt that was and is to date the most impressive thing ive seen out of him is that the guy is somewhat tough competive maybe but i would anyone playing in the nfl is competive or why play so that really doesn't impress me as a qb in the nfl u better be damn confident and sure of yourself i don't get that vibe from aaron is it just the first year jitters god i hope so but try to convince me of it you'll have to show me then tell me cause as of right now he doesn't cut it for me oh and no offense but to even put aaron and farve in the same catergory i think is absurd we have legend and then someone who has yet to prove themselves that is complete bs like i said i hope rodgers does well i really do but there is one thing he will never be and thats brett farve your not going to find another brett farve he is one of those once in a lifetime type ball players he played straight backyard football style and u had to love and hate him for it but it usually brought more good then bad so anyways thats that and im done with u and this conversation if u feel u need to get the last word by all means do so yall will see in the future that arod (lmao) is a joke and won't amount to nothing

18. OHIOFAN

OHIOFAN Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I must have been watching a differnt game than most of you. I thought Rodgers played great except for the pick at the end. It sucked that he threw the pick, put poor coaching cost the Pack the game. Why on earth would any coach call 3 running plays back to back and then settle for a field goal when the ball is on the 1 yard line? That is a joke, the offense moved the ball right down the field and then coach decides to get conservative. The offense has not turned the ball over all year inside the red zone but all of a sudden coach was happy just to get 3 points and let the game rest on his defense instead of getting a touchdown and putting the pressure on Carolina. Rodgers is not the problem, do you not see that with a little bit of a running game he was able to have a little bit more time to make plays and be effective. Favre is/was great, but to expect Rodgers to step in and not miss a beat is foolish. This team is better off with Rodgers now and in the future, Favre would be a sitting duck in the pocket with no pass protection and no running game. This team has a lot of holes and they all did not start when #4 left. We have a very poor defensive line (no qb pressure and can't ever stop the run), very poor special teams (look at our average starting field position game after game compared to the opponent), and the o-line can't pass protect (did a better job against Carolina) or run block (maby did a better job against Carolina or might have been B-jack's fresh legs running hard) and the coaching has been very poor. The team as a whole needs to get it together, all this being said, I would take Rodgers over any young qb in the league if I was to build a franchise. The guy has proven he is tough, he does not throw fits when the recievers drop easy balls and the o-line can's block, and he deals with adversity and handles himself with class. Right now Rodgers is struggling with the same thing Favre did for years, he feels that he has to carry the team on his shoulders and do it all. People are down on Rodgers, but think that qb's such as Phillip Rivers are great. That is just silly, Rodgers will shine one the team gets it together. We are seeing glimses of what he offers and he will only get better with time. People need to be supportive instead of picking apart Rodgers' every move. It is true that he is not Brett Favre, no one else is, but if Favre did not have a running game with the Jets people would be talking about how time has passed him by.

19. favreslegacy

favreslegacy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think ARod has played great for a 13 game starter. Im sure that he will improve over the next few years. I mean look how bad Eli manning started out. AROD is already a decent nfl qb capable of 300 yards and 3 tds a week. Give him more time and he can take us all the way. I think the difference in this years team and last years team is that this year we arnt playing defense.....or running the ball very well lol

20. scotman

scotman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well said. Still I think we should have kept Favre for this season. It was a mistake to trade him. It also seems that we have weak spots on both sides of the line. I lay that at the feet of TT, but that is another thread .

21. wischeez

wischeez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh No, Lord Favre is going to lose to the 49ers!

22. Sgt13Echo20

Sgt13Echo20 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    WE DON"T NEED TO MOVE FORWARD!!!!! WE NEED TO FIRE MM and TT NOW!!!!!!!!!!! Then we can bring Brett back and retire him with HONOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In 20 years MM and TT will be remembered as the ones who brought down OUR LEGEND!

23. wischeez

wischeez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    He might be your legend, but he's not mine. He's just a quarterback in the NFL.

24. 4rules

4rules Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's amazing how little needs to be said, for one's lack of knowledge to be shown.

25. wischeez

wischeez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Maybe you bow down to a high paid quarterback, but he is not a god to me. Accept the fact not everyone thinks like you and move on.