1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Favre vs Rodgers debate here only/Anything Favre Here only

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by wizard 87, Oct 5, 2008.

1. gingerwave

gingerwave Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Re: Favre vs Rodgers debate here only.

I agree too, well put.

2. DonnieCash

DonnieCash Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Bizarre Phone Call #2

I can't find a written story of this but this morning on Fox's NFL countdown Jay Blazer reported that he found out that earlier in the season Brett Favre made a call to Matt Million and the Lions and gave them an hour briefing about the Green Bay offense.

How bout that for a movie script.

3. olpete

olpete Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Re: Bizarre Phone Call #2

Glazer was the guy used to leak questionable stories before. He is the one who said that Favre used a Packers issued cellphone and that a plane was chartered to pick up Favre when he changed his mind on retirement.

Goodell more or less said the cell phone story was fake and the plane story wasn't accurate either.
    It wouldn't surprise me if Ari Fleischer was still working for the Packers and doing what he has always done, manipulating the press and using disinformation to manipulate public opinion.

** edited by longtimefan**

That is such a false rumor I felt it should be corrected before it gets passed on.

http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=1719

[/quote:ugcinc5i]

4. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,977

ya sure Jay was THE ONE?

It seems I recall a jsonline reporter saying that

5. DonnieCash

DonnieCash Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

its true that its an unconfirmed story. But then again everything is fair game these days it seems.

6. wizard 87

wizard 87 Packer Addict

Ratings:
    +11

Also reported by the NY press........he was giving away formations and other confidential information. The report or leak is from Millan who talked with Glazer....real loyal guy Favre.
    Just remember Brett...payback can be a real !@#@

7. Andy

Andy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Say it ain't so Brett

IF this story is true, and I don't care how upset Brett is with TT, this would be the final straw for me. This is Judas-like behavior...

FAVRE HELPED LIONS PREPARE FOR PACKERS

Posted by Mike Florio on October 19, 2008, 12:14 p.m.

Wow.

Wow.

Wow.

To the extent that any doubt remained regarding the status of the relationship between the Packers and former quarterback Brett Favre, it’s now completely gone.

Per Jay Glazer of FOX, Favre spent 60-to-90 minutes before the Week Two game between the Lions and the Packers educating the Detroit coaching staff regarding the Packers’ offensive strategies.

Did we say wow?

Glazer says that Favre initially called former CEO Matt Millen, who then put Favre in touch with the coaches.

In our view, Brett’s legacy with the Packers has officially been forever stained, if not completely destroyed – unless Favre immediately denies the report, and unless people believe it.

Wow.

The next question is whether and to what extent Favre shared similar information with the Vikings (where his former position coach is the offensive coordinator) before Week One, or with the Seahawks (where his former head coach is the head coach) before Week Six.

If so, Brett’s advice didn’t work. The Packers won all three games.

8. olpete

olpete Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Glazer was the funnel that the Ari Fleischer propaganda was leaked. Its odd that a smear campaign doesn't bother people. I guess payback is a real "@#@.

By the way, the coaches have film of every play that is run. There are no "secret" formations.

9. wizard 87

wizard 87 Packer Addict

Ratings:
    +11

If it's so "open " why did he spend an hour on the phone with the Lions coaching staff ? You think they where exchanging recipes???? You pro Favre folks need to get a grip...Favre the hero is going to be Favre the Fink when this story gets out in the national media.
    He can't stand that the Packers moved on...then again some of our fans can't.

10. dansz15

dansz15 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +35

I am sure I will get reamed for this, but if it is true, which there are so many rumors and how Favre has handled the whole situation (like a child, IMO), I think they should not retire his number. This is the guy who gave everything to the Packers and brought them from nothing, and now does this? This season, he has portrayed a selfish side. He clearly had no feeling whatsoever for Rogers who patiently waited and never said anything, and pretty much contributed to a soap opera. I really hope it is not true, but if it is, he has completely tainted his legacy with GB and I hope fans realize this might not be the guy we all thought he was. It would really be a shame.

11. Veretax

Veretax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6

Heh. Favre could have been on the sidelines whispering in the D-Coord's ear what the play was and the Lions would still find a way to lose it. Good grief you guys are making a mountain out of nothing. Green Bay traded him away. Where was the loyalty to a QB that had broken nearly every NFL passing record? I"m really getting tired of hearing that oh its all Brett's fault, not it isn't the GM made a decision, and now its done. Live with it. Besides, any good D-Coord can figure out what formations the packers run its not like they are that unpredictable. I could have done it.

One we traded him away, Favre no longer owed Us anything. Why is everyone so surprised. The truth is Rodgers is playing well, we hit a few bumps in the road, but nothing we cannot handle. Not that I believe this story for a minute. Now, can anyone post the link to his sad story sO i can see it for myself please?

12. Veretax

Veretax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6

You know Rodgers has protected the ball a LOT better than Favre has this year. That alone has kept us in games I think.

13. wizard 87

wizard 87 Packer Addict

Ratings:
    +11

As to the big off-field news of the day, that former quarterback Brett Favre reportedly talked to Detroit Lions defensive coaches for over an hour to give them insight into what the Packers do on offense before the Week 2 matchup, this is what I know:

* According to two team sources, the Packers had heard "whispers" about Favre giving out inside information to other teams but didn't know the extent. The team is fairly irritated about it, but it was hardly a surprise. The only thing that caught them off guard was that it appears that Favre went out of his way to contact the Lions and possibly other teams to give them inside information;
    * The Detroit Lions did not confirm nor deny the report. Coach Rod Marinelli said he was aware of the report and said "No comment," when asked about it. Defensive coordinator Joe Barry also did not deny the report.
    * Most players didn't want to touch the topic with a 10-foot pole, including Favre's best friend on the team, Donald Driver. Left tackle Chad Clifton said, "I don't put much stock into (the report). I seriously doubt that happened. If it is (true), there's nothing you can do about it. I'm not going to get involved with it."
    * Some players did speak about it. Some strongly.
    * Defensive Cullen Jenkins: "I don't know if he's done it or not. It's one of those things, personally and I don't know the situation, but I just think it's kind of messed up how he left here. Hasn't talked to Aaron (Rodgers), wished Aaron good luck or anything or like that but he's called everybody else, called Tony Romo and stuff like that. I don't have nothing against Brett personally. But I think in his position, he could at least show a little more class, a little more respect to Aaron in that regard. If that was the case, if he did talk to the coaches, I could see if he told his coaches if they were going to play us. That's all right. But if you go out of your way to talk to another team, nah, I don't think that's right."
    * Cornerback Charles Woodson: "He contacted them? I don't respect that. If they called him and he gives them information, that's one thing. But to seek a team out, because you know I guess you're trying to sabotage this team, you know I don't respect that. I know he's been the greatest player around here for a long time but there's no honor in that."
    * Woodson was then asked if that stuff happened in the league. "You know I have no idea. I've never called a coach of another team and told them what was going to happen."
    * Center Scott Wells: "That would be disappointing if that was the case. Definitely. But I try to stay removed from it. Obviously it didn't work out too well for 'em. We were still able to go out there and move the ball and win the game."
    * Coach Mike McCarthy: "I would say it's disappointing. I'm not really in tune with the whole report and so forth. Jeff Blumb told me about it earlier. I really have no comment on that stuff."
    * Supposedly Favre was not asked about the report after the Jets' overtime loss to the Oakland Raiders.

14. Veretax

Veretax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6

still waiting for the link...

15. Andy

Andy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

This from the GBPG...

Packers: Favre report 'disappointing' if true

Fox Sports' Glazer says ex-QB offered tips to Lions before Week 2 matchup

By Rob Demovsky • rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com • October 19, 2008

Brett Favre’s estrangement from the Green Bay Packers took another bizarre turn on Sunday when a report surfaced that the team’s former quarterback helped an NFC North rival prepare to play the Packers.

Jay Glazer of Fox Sports reported that Favre spent 60 to 90 minutes on the phone with members of the Detroit Lions’ coaching staff prior their Week 2 game against the Packers at Ford Field — a game the Packers won 48-25.

According to the report, Favre gave the Lions a rundown of the nuances of what the Packers do on offense. Favre apparently initiated the contact by first reaching out to then-Lions President Matt Millen, who in turn put Favre in touch with members of his coaching staff.

That means that in midst of preparing for his second game with his new team, the New York Jets, he spent time doing something that could potentially damage his old team.

“You know, I don’t respect that,” Packers cornerback Charles Woodson said. “If they call him and he gives them information, that’s one thing. But to seek a team out and feel like, I guess, you’re trying to sabotage this team, I don’t respect that. I know he’s been the greatest player around here for a long time, but there’s no honor in that.”

Reporters covering the Jets’ loss on Sunday at Oakland did not ask Favre about the report, but Favre called the report “total B.S.” in a text message to Sports Illustrated’s Peter King, who appeared on NBC’s Football Night in America pregame show. King also said he spoke to a Lions official who said, “Our coaches are perplexed. There was no coaching of our coaching staff by Brett Favre.”

The Packers traded Favre to the Jets in August after a tumultuous offseason in which he retired in March and changed his mind only to be rebuffed by the Packers.

“He says he wasn’t bitter about what happened,” Woodson said, “but obviously there is a little bit of resentment there.”

Details of the report spread quickly around Lambeau Field prior to Sunday’s 34-14 victory over the Indianapolis Colts, and it was widely discussed in the locker room after the game.

“I would say it’s disappointing,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. “I’m not really in tune with the whole report and so forth. (Team spokesman) Jeff Blumb told me about it earlier. I really have no comment on that stuff.”

Reaction in the locker room was varied, but few players were willing to speak out against Favre as strongly as Woodson did.

“That would be disappointing if that’s the case,” Packers center Scott Wells said. “But I try to stay removed from that. Obviously it didn’t work out too well for (the Lions). We were still able to go out there and move the ball and win the game.”

Said receiver Ruvell Martin: “If it’s true, then you’ve got to question (Favre’s) motives. But there’s not much I can do about it.”

Several players were curious about the details and the source of the report. When told Glazer reported it, at least one player seemed convinced it was true given that Glazer has broken several major stories about the Packers, including Favre’s retirement and the trade to the Jets.

Finding creative ways to gain inside information is nothing new in the NFL. Teams have long exercised the practice of signing a player who had played recently for an upcoming opponent and then quizzing that player about his former team.

“In my opinion, there’s really not too much that you can gain,” Martin said. “Our hand signals, a lot of those are on tape already. If we find out (a team) got our hand signals, for the most part we’ll try and find a way — against Minnesota last year we thought maybe (former Packers receiver) Robert Ferguson was giving them our signals — so we might give a hand signal where we do something and then change it. That’s a constant battle in the NFL, to beat them picking up on what you do, for every single team.”

16. packerbackerinin

packerbackerinin Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting info on Brett's attempted sabotage.

Go on google and enter "Favre denies report", and there is a lot of information pertaining to this. Including Peter King receiving a text message from Favre strongly denying the allegations. It's hard for me to believe that even Brett would do this. At least he isn't hiding from the question, then it would be obvious. GO PACK GO!!!

17. TheStone

TheStone Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +10
    Re: Interesting info on Brett's attempted sabotage.

I believe that this report (uh, ... I mean the initial report!! ;) ) is complete BS!!

Why would BF do this? I think he has enough to care or to worry about.
    Having pity on the Lions? That's no reason! Everybody does..... :rofl:

18. jaybirdknows

jaybirdknows Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

ARod is better than Favre RIGHT NOW. Favre is good, ARod is better. Taking care of the ball is first and foremost in evaluating performance in the quarterback position. Rodgers does it, Favre doesn't. TT and MM knew it then, we are seeing it now. As the weather gets colder, watch ARod prance and Brett shiver. The only way a Favre, Rodgers, whoever depth chart is better than what we have now is to make it Rodgers, Favre whoever.

19. Packerbacker87

Packerbacker87 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

I'd like to believe that this wasn't true, but given Favre's recent track record, I'm just not so sure...

I remember him out-right denying the possibility of making a comeback...and then it happened...

Favre secretly spoke about coming back with the Vikings, but publicly denied it...

Favre called Romo to 'inspire' him to play through the pain (ow, my pinkie!)...but not Rodgers...

Conclusion-Favre is bitter about the Packers...however, this is pretty inexcusable.

This isn't Favre. This isn't the player I and thousands of other fans loved for his integrity, humbleness, and grit.

Final Conclusion-This is a pod person Favre, Invasion of the Body Snatchers style.

20. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,977
  21. Veretax

Veretax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6

Okay think about that one a second. If Favre had called Rodgers, would the same folks not be up in arms that Favre was trying to mess Rodgers up or tamper with him? I think some folks are just upset that Favre is gone, want to blame it and all sorts of things on him, but the truth is he isn't here anymore.

22. DonnieCash

DonnieCash Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

No?

I can't see why anyone would have an issue with Favre calling Rodgers.

This has nothing to do with people blaming him for stuff.

Its just a crazy allegation that has people interested.

23. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,977

I dont have an issue with him not calling Rodgers..

Did not care that he called Romo as I know he and Romo and real good friends

24. DonnieCash

DonnieCash Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Well according to Butler said that Romo called Favre.

And that Aaron has reached out to Favre, but no bites.

25. Veretax

Veretax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6

Even if Favre liked Rodgers, and I'm not saying he did or didn't I'm not convinced that it would be anything but an akward relationship as long as brett is playing so eh :/