1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon... Update: Announcement to be released on MONDAY!

Favre vs Rodgers debate here only/Anything Favre Here only

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by wizard 87, Oct 5, 2008.

1. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Re: Fair request Favre vs Rodgers debate here only.

Oh no they LT a mod? God the world is coming to an end.

There is no debate here. Favre is a Jet - Rodgers is a Packer. Two totally different stories right now.

2. sundown

sundown no cheese

Ratings:
    +1

The big difference between this year and last is the points our D has given up, in 07 we gave up just 93 points after 5 games this year the packers D has given up 128 points after 5 games,last year with Favre the Packers O scored125 points after 5 games this year with AR the pack has scored 133 points.So the Pack has actually scored more points With Aaron Rodgers than with Favre.

3. Veretax

Veretax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6

Hrms I thought I'd replied here. It could be that our Run Defense is a bit softer than last year, and over 5 games that would explain why the numbers are higher. as was written earlier that's about 22 yards a game more. than last year at this time. That's a good chunk of yardage and could account for at least one field goal or touch down for the opposition.

Now I'm not sure that we are scoring more or less than last year at this time. seems to me that the points differential is just different this year.

4. sundown

sundown no cheese

Ratings:
    +1

thats easy enough to find out ,my numbers are correct ,125 with Favre ,133 with AR.

5. Veretax

Veretax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6

Thanks for those numbers. So based on that we've scored more with Rodgers than with Favre... hrms... that's an Interesting Observation. Based on that alone I'd have to wonder if our Offense is really as much to blame as I've thought, or is it that the opposition has scored more points when it was needed, as opposed to blowing easy opponents out.

6. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,970

one touchdown last year by D and special teams ( up till week 5 )

if counting right 4 tds by D and St this year

133-28= 105 points by the offense this year

125-7 = 118 points last year

13 point difference from last year to this year

7. Veretax

Veretax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6

Hrms.... 13 points difference,

If you look only at the Losses:

Minnesota W 24-19
    @ Detroit W 48-25
    Dallas L 16-27
    @ Tampa Bay L 21-30
    Atlanta L 24-27

The Margin of defeat on our Losses was: 23 points where as our Margin of Victory on the the two wins was 28 Points. That's a 51 Point difference between our Wins and losses. So yeah we beat up on our Division. So we are not scoring Points Against the teams we are losing to by an average of about a Touchdown and a 2 Point conversion. (23/5 = 7.67)

In the first 5 weeks last season:

Philadelphia W 16-13
    @ NY Giants W 35-13
    San Diego W 31-24
    @ Minnesota W 23-16
    Chicago L 20-27 4-1 Favre 322 Wynn 78 Jennings 83

Margin of Victory was 39 Points or 7.8 Per Game Versus margin of defeat at 7 Points. I think you are right. Our defense was better last year, causing turnovers and getting points off of them. We are lacking that this year, and that alone would account for the difference I think.

8. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,970

Actually getting more points from the D and s/t THIS year

Take away those points because it isnt done by the offense

So this year they have 105 points

Last year had 118 points

Not a HUGE difference now is it?

9. sundown

sundown no cheese

Ratings:
    +1

Favre vrs AR by the numbers, after 5 games. BF 2007/AR 2008 ,,, Bf 210 attempts ,7.27 yards /per attempt ,AR 163 attempts,7.8 yards/ per attempt ,BF 1527 passing yards , AR 1274 passing yards, BF 9 TD'S, AR 9TD'S,plus 2 rushing TD'S, BF 4 int's , AR 4 int's.These two guys have remarkably simular numbers for players at opposite ends of there careers.ONe guy whose great career is almost over and one who I think is going to have a great career is just starting. I don't know how much you can take from these comparisons because they were against different teams,save for the VIKES and they have a lot of new players, but I think that each guy did pretty well.

10. mike bat

mike bat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Re: Favre vs Rodgers debate here only.

when i compair the two i olny see a few differences .... with brett you get duribilty and vet leadership ... these two things you dont get with Rodgers .... but with Rodgers he is moble maybee more moble than brett ,, im still not sure witch one is more moble yet ...

11. yourout

yourout Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

This may end up being one of those deals were both teams benefit.

The Jets get a Hall of Fame QB for a year or two that leads them back to respectability.

The Pack get to play their younger QB that seems to have a bright future while being a bit less of a gambler and a little more mobile.

Yes I would love to have been able to watch Brett finish his career in Green and Gold but with the way things went down this might be the best that both teams could hope for.

12. LostnSpace

LostnSpace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

I would agree with your opinion. This is very good for Aaron Rodgers and as a result it will be good for the Packers "Long-term" The Packer management will get to see what Rodgers is capable of under real conditions for the year. Now if Favre were still here maybe at the end of the year Brett says good-bye, and this is the last year of Rodgers contract too I believe. To me as much as I didn't want to see Brett leave this was the in the "Best interest of both parties". It turned out quite ugly but most divorces do. ("Favre is the one who quit and then 5 months later said I still got the itch to play"). I will be interested in seeing Favres performance when the weather gets cold. He used to be the best in cold weather but last year against the Bears and the Giants if you have those games on tape he has a look on his face that shows "I don't even want to be out here". His gambler type of mentality has helped but more often than not has hurt the team in the play-offs the past 5 or 6 years by throwing the ball up for grabs.

13. RobJohnson

RobJohnson Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Two "stats" you only need.

Favre=Winner
    AROD=NOT!

They played Seattle for God's sake...(without their starting QB, i might add!)

There will be more losses to come...

14. wizard 87

wizard 87 Packer Addict

Ratings:
    +11

That's the best argument you got Favre = Winner
    Don't become an attorney ...you won't win often.
    PS Favre beat the bunguls.....real tough competition :rofl:

15. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,970

wiz you forgot to mention who the Bungles starting q/b was yesterday

16. RobJohnson

RobJohnson Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Longtime...

Who was the starting QB for Seattle yesterday, hmmmm?

:rofl:

17. sundown

sundown no cheese

Ratings:
    +1

I think AR is going to be a better QB than Favre when all is said and done,he throws the ball just as good as Favre plus i think he is quicker on his feet and He won't make those awefull mistakes that Favre made like the overtime throw against Philly in the playoffs a few years ago or the throw he made against the GIANTS last year in the Championship game. Only time will tell but I bet Aaron Rodgers is more than good enough to get the Packers a Super Bowl win.

18. bklynzwhitestrican

bklynzwhitestrican Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

favre certainly didn't look like a winner against the giants in the playoffs last year...

19. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,970

YOU were the one that brought up the back up q/b for Seattle and the reason why the Packers won

I bring up SAME thing on why the Jets won and that situation is not applicable?

20. Kendawg

Kendawg Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Wow! All this Favre bashing is pretty damn pathetic. I'm sick of how Aaron Rodgers is getting a free pass! Every loss we had in the past falls squarely on Favre's shoulders while our losses this season aren't attributed to Aaron Rodgers. Sure Aaron Rodgers might of had a good game in those losses, but it's still a loss! I remember last year when we won some games we weren't supposed to simply because of our passing game. Someone made the sarcastic statement about the Jets beating the oh so tough competition of the Bengals... well the Jets beat a team they were supposed to beat. We were supposed to beat Atlanta... and that sure didn't happen now did it. Some people are giving Favre crap for our playoff game against the Giants last year... well if I remember correctly Ryan Grant sure as hell wasn't a whole lot of help in that game. Brett with the Jets means they have almost have as many wins as they had last year. Rodgers with the Packers means we already have as many losses as last year. Until Rodgers gets us a Superbowl he can't even be compared to Favre.

21. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,970

I want Brett here and know we would be better..
    your right when you say that....

But we also won some games only because the D got us points and Brett didnt even have a td in those 2 games and had 6 turnovers in those 2 games..Why do people forgot those games? I

People are quick to point out he got us wins, but refuse to acknowledge he did bad in others or put blame on others ( see your Giants game for example)

With Aaron, people are quick to point out how bad he did, but refuse to acknowledge when he did well...Or its a TEAM win, when he does well..

It really is very amusing that people give BF the free pass on EVERY game he ever played..

Does this not make sense to anyone, or am I really the only one that sees this?

22. OHIOFAN

OHIOFAN Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

People either forget or don't want to accept that Rodgers is in his first year and gaining experience each time he plays. He is only getting better. Lets not compare the 17+ year vet. to the guy in his first year, look at what we have. I mean Rodgers is doing darn well compared to Favre in his first few years. I think that Brett is a better qb today, but I think if you compare the two at the end of the year or next year Rodgers will be the better qb. It is true that Rodgers has made some rookie mistakes, but he has also made some veteran plays. The point I am getting at is he is young and learning, while making a very few mistakes, Brett is a seasoned vet. who often makes rookie mistakes. Last year most everything went in the Pac's favor, this year we have had some bad luck but things will turn around.

23. Matato8

Matato8 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

You can't really compare Favre and Rodgers. But we can compare Rodgers first season with Favre's first season. Favre didn't do so hot then. Favre is where he is today because of his experience as a talented veteran QB. Rodgers has talent too. He is just starting and he is doing great. It's not his fault. Compared to last year we can look at the fact that we aren't running the ball very well at all. And the D is just sloppy on the run. And the funny thing is that we have most of the same defensive players as last year. So a lot of this is just execution and other mistakes we've been making. Rodgers will be fine and the Packers are a decent team that needs to work on a few things. Whether Favre is better or not doesn't matter. We need to support Rodgers as much as we can. Go Pack!

24. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,970

Just wish more people would see it that way as well

25. RobJohnson

RobJohnson Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Neither did MM...neither did TT....neither did the whole damn Packer TEAM that didn't show up to play that day because TT puts too much faith in young guys....

The difference is that Favre can usually win games if at least a few people show up to play on the Packers....AROD can not!

My prediction is that the Packers will lucky to be 8-8 this year, and TT should be fired. He sucks. MM's not much better. Rodgers is nothing special. Once the Packers clean house, this team can back to it's winning ways. Not before!

The funny thing is that many of you people think that TT, MM, and AR are going to bring you a SB. I have news for you. They are not! There is no guarantee of that.

Favre was poised to make a run to take the Packers to the SB this year if TT wasn't such a fool by pulling the plug on Favre, and not fixing the o-line and running game in 4 years.

TT needs to be fired, now!