Favre Vs McNabb

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been reading all the articles online about Favre, Bledsoe, and Brunell needing to hang it up and let their backups take over. Meanwhile, Donavan McNabb has all but been crowned league MVP and Comeback Player of the Year -- after only 1/3 of the season.

So I looked up Brett's stats compared to McNabb. After 6 weeks of the 2006 season (Brett having played 5 games so far):

Brett is 115/203 for 1275 yards 7 TD 7 Int
McNabb is 122/208 for 1849 yards 13 TD 2 Int

Both have lost 2 fumbles.

The only major differences that I see are that Brett has 5 more INTS and throws shorter passes due to the playcalling early in the season while the running game and O-line was trying to gel.

Consider this:
In the first 1/3 of the season, GB played Chicago, New Orleans, Detroit, Philadelphia, and St Louis. On the flip side, Philadelphia played Houston, NY Giants, San Francisco, Green Bay, Dallas, and New Orleans.

I could see us running the next 3 games against Miami, Arizona, and Buffalo and hitting the halfway point at .500. Hopefully that would be enough to quiet the critics. We are better than the media and critics say we are and need to keep looking for the wins. It is way too early to pack it in and start looking for the number 1 draft pick.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's the TD's vs INTs that are going to turn heads. Both Brett and Donovan can miss an open receiver with the best of them. Donovan tends to miss low and throw it into the group.

As for "comeback player of the year" what is Donovan coming back from??? Playing with TO?

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have a good chance after those 3 games to be .500 it depends if are coaches have gotten our players ready for miami since we had extra time, and try and fix all the mistakes that have been killing us.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it wouldnt surprise me if we were .500 or we werent. I guess I can come to expect anything from this team.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
6 touchdowns is a lot. I bet if you look at what their on pace for McNabb would blow Favre out in the TD/INT ratio.

McNabb right now is the MVP of the league in my opinion but things change fast so anything can happen.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah i see a big difference in the W/L column.

your right about the opponents, however a win is a win... you gotta beat the sorry teams along with the tough ones. just because the philly opp's have a worse record... they still gotta go out there and beat them. something we havent done.

but as to the main issue at hand.... benching, trading, cutting, anything but starting brett favre is a stupid idea, and people who think its good arent paying attention, or just need something to write about. he gives us the best chance to win and having aaron rodgers practicing and learning behind one of the all time greats is not bad, i dont care what anyone says...it just cant be a negative thing.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett is 115/203 for 1275 yards 7 TD 5 Int [not 7--nice catch, tk]

The only major differences that I see are that Brett has 5 [3] more INTS and throws shorter passes due to the playcalling early in the season while the running game and O-line was trying to gel.

I like Brett Favre and all, but I'm not getting what you're saying here, not even a little bit. McNabb has half again as much yardage, twice as many TD passes, and half the interceptions, and you think their stats are comparable? If their stats were reversed (along with their team's records), would you be arguing that McNabb was having about as good a year as Favre?

McNabb is off to a great start this year, and I do think he is a strong MVP candidate at this early stage. As for Comeback Player of the Year, that award is often given to a player who comes back from an injury, so McNabb is a candidate for that award as well. By the way, he also scrambles for first downs and TD's, which is not reflected in the passing stats.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I like Brett Favre and all, but I'm not getting what you're saying here, not even a little bit. McNabb has half again as much yardage, twice as many TD passes, and half the interceptions, and you think their stats are comparable? If their stats were reversed (along with their team's records), would you be arguing that McNabb was having about as good a year as Favre?

McNabb is off to a great start this year, and I do think he is a strong MVP candidate at this early stage. As for Comeback Player of the Year, that award is often given to a player who comes back from an injury, so McNabb is a candidate for that award as well. By the way, he also scrambles for first downs and TD's, which is not reflected in the passing stats.

I had a dream that Favre will throw 5TDs in the next game. They call me Nostradamus for a reason so look for Favre to close the gap.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
also keep in mind mcnab has played 6 games and favre has played 5.but i dont think that will mak that much of a differnce.

the main thing is that mcnabb is winning games for his team and favre is keeping the games close but is not winning games. but you cant rely on favre alone to win games.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you can't rely on ANY qb ALONE to win games.

mcnabb seems to be headed for a stellar season - best of luck to him.

OP
OP
P

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Brett is 115/203 for 1275 yards 7 TD 5 Int [not 7--nice catch, tk]

The only major differences that I see are that Brett has 5 [3] more INTS and throws shorter passes due to the playcalling early in the season while the running game and O-line was trying to gel.

574 yards more for McNabb and 6 TDs after playing one game more. So -- when Brett lights up Miami this weekend for 300+ yards and 3 to 4 TDs, they would only be just over 200 yards and 2 -3 TDs apart after the same number of games. And that is after we were shut out by the Bears in week 1.

Hardly enough to say that he should hang it up.

BTW, Peyton Manning also has comparable numbers

106/171 for 1278 yards 8 TD 2 INT in 5 games.

A higher pass percentage but comparable scoring. And Brett has 4 passes of over 40 yards while Manning has 1. McNabb has 9. How much of that can be attributed to actually having a running game in place and the WRs just catching the defensive backs cheating up onto the line? If so, when Ahman gets back and the running game builds on what they did against STL, Brett's numbers should go even higher.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now I can't argue to much against Mcnabb.I like the guy and one thing with him is like Brett he also doesn't have big name WR's but he leads them as a team. Also Brett's getting older so he can't do nearly the things Mcnabb with his legs. I dp think Brett's #'s will pick up as the youngsters improve.

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had Brett lead us to two 4th quarter comeback wins against NO and the Rams the media would be going gaga over Brett. But we did not "Git Ur Done"

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now I can't argue to much against Mcnabb.I like the guy and one thing with him is like Brett he also doesn't have big name WR's but he leads them as a team. Also Brett's getting older so he can't do nearly the things Mcnabb with his legs. I dp think Brett's #'s will pick up as the youngsters improve.

Unless McNabb gets hurt, he's going to have a better year than Favre will. However, when we look back at both QBs twenty years from now, Favre will be in the Hall of Fame. McNabb will be one of those guys who gets close but barely misses the voting every year until in his last chance, he doesn't get in. And "old timers" will argue back and forth whether or not McNabb deserved to be in the Hall of Fame.

I actually like McNabb. he seems like a funny guy, but he's no Brett Favre.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cdnfavrefan said:

Unless McNabb gets hurt, he's going to have a better year than Favre will. However, when we look back at both QBs twenty years from now, Favre will be in the Hall of Fame. McNabb will be one of those guys who gets close but barely misses the voting every year until in his last chance, he doesn't get in. And "old timers" will argue back and forth whether or not McNabb deserved to be in the Hall of Fame.

I completely disagree with McNabb not being in the HOF. He'll get in. The media likes him and he'll have the numbers to do so. He'll have a lot of numbers based on rushing and throwing that are probably unheard of. McNabb will be a Hall of Famer one day. Quote me on it if you want. :thumbsup:

The difference will be Favre will be considered one of the greatest of all time. One of the 5 greatest. McNabb won't have that elite status.

That's the main difference but both should be in Canton.

Edit: Favre will be mention with Marino. McNabb with Jim Kelly. That's the best way I can put it.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
Cdnfavrefan said:

I completely disagree with McNabb not being in the HOF. He'll get in. The media likes him and he'll have the numbers to do so. He'll have a lot of numbers based on rushing and throwing that are probably unheard of. McNabb will be a Hall of Famer one day. Quote me on it if you want. :thumbsup:

The difference will be Favre will be considered one of the greatest of all time. One of the 5 greatest. McNabb won't have that elite status.

That's the main difference but both should be in Canton.

Edit: Favre will be mention with Marino. McNabb with Jim Kelly. That's the best way I can put it.

True. If Jim Kelly got in, I guess McNabb should go in. ;)

Members online

No members online now.