Favre vents frustration as Packers seek stride

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I pulled this from USA Today, thought you all might want to read.

BAY, Wis. (AP) — Brett Favre still sees talent on offense, and understands it will take some time for the Green Bay Packers' young players to blossom.

But after a rough outing at Cincinnati and with the preseason finale against Tennessee only two days away, Favre seems impatient with the progress his revamped offense is making.

"We have a long ways to go, but a short time to do it," Favre said Wednesday, venting moderate hints of frustration to — and at — reporters in a tenser-than-usual group interview session.
Favre says he and the team are running out of time to work out the kinks in their new-look offense.

"It is preseason. Call it what you want," Favre said. "But you'd like to be able to gauge something off these games, and I don't know. I really don't. There's a lot of potential, but that in itself doesn't get it done."
In the wake of a 48-17 loss at Cincinnati on Monday night, Favre said he heard "numerous people" saying that it's better to get mistakes out of the way during the preseason, a bit of long-standing NFL logic that Favre doesn't necessarily buy.

The games might not count, but the mistakes do.
"Yeah, we got it out of our system. That sounds great," Favre said. "But you don't want to carry that over. If you're going to make mistakes, make them now and be able to correct them and get better off of them."
Favre made a few mistakes of his own Monday night. He lost a fumble that was run back for a touchdown and had a tipped pass intercepted.
"I'm my own worst critic," Favre said. "I want to play perfectly, and there's only one way I know how to play and that is aggressive. At times it's not pretty. Does it hurt the team at times? I don't know, I'll leave that up to you guys to decide. But I will go down swinging."

Favre said he did see some positive developments after reviewing game film of the Cincinnati loss. The pass protection was improved, he said, and rookie guards Jason Spitz and Tony Moll played well.
But Favre said the team still needs to improve its running game and find the "right mix" in the passing game.

Favre didn't quite know what to expect in the preseason, but isn't surprised at the offense's uneven performance. The offense looked lost in its preseason opener at San Diego on Aug. 12, but performed well in a home game against Atlanta the following week.

"I'm not that surprised by the up and down part of it, because there is a lot of inexperience and some new guys we're trying to fit in," Favre said.
In addition to the two rookie guards in the starting lineup, the Packers are trying to install a new zone-blocking system and are looking for a No. 2 receiver to emerge, a role that could fall to another rookie, Greg Jennings.
Favre said the young players are looking for leadership.

"It's kind of like being on a camping trip and you're waiting for someone to lead you on a hike or a fishing trip," Favre said. "Where do we go next? What do we do? Not that someone in that group couldn't do it themselves. It's kind of like, is it my place to do it? Let's wait for this person to show us where we're going on a horseback ride or whatever. How do we saddle the horse? That's kind of what it seems like to me."

But the homespun analogies quickly came to a halt as Favre's impatience extended to the media.
Asked whether he had thought about the possibility young players might not hit their stride this year, Favre said, "It might not be. What do you want me to do, quit? You're asking me this question, I'm well aware of it. Are you saying that it's not worth it?

"I'd love to play for everyone, but I'm not that good. (I've) got enough to worry about myself. ... I have enough people telling me I'm too old and can't do it."

Favre is cutting back on some media accessibility this year. He says he will resume talking to reporters after games — something he cut out at the end of last season, as questions about his potential retirement dominated Cheesehead Nation — but will cut back his midweek interview sessions from once a week to once every other week.

Favre said it was more fun to talk when the Packers were winning.
"Everybody was having a good time," Favre said. "Now, it seems like every time something's brought up, it's negative: 'You guys may not be that good this year, are you well aware of that? Are you going to be around next year?' If you were up here, what would you want to do?"
All his concerns aside, Favre said he still enjoys football.

"Do I enjoy losing? No, but I enjoy the challenge of competing every week and I have no idea what to expect this year, I really don't," Favre said. "Is that scary? Not really. I'd love to think we're going to the Super Bowl. But we have to worry about winning a game first."
Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thanks for the article hope it's a good season but good or bad i'll be watching i think as the season goes on the o-line will be better :D i hope woodson plays for the money he is getting at least harris is playing like always,hat him right when it is time :)

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems to me that he is less frustrated with the team than he is with the constant media hammering.

He came back because he loves the game and the challenge to perform at a high level. It seems he is well aware that this is a rebuilding project and there will be bumps in the road.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:) For a guy that loves the game and really wants to win it has to be more then frustrating to answer some of the lame questions of the press but, it's what the game does to press and players alike. Do see the possibility of some improvement as the season progresses and again perhaps the MM way won't necessarily be "the way." This season and next should tell the tale of whether the Pack has placed its money on the right horses, (MM & TT). In tjhe meantime a bit of patience and by all means critique whatever you see as a negative and applaud the positive. That's what us fans are here for.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This all comes from his press conference yesterday. Go to packers.com and listen to it. The tone in his voice says alot. It was the first time I've ever heard Favre get a little testy with a reporter.

BoydAvery

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favres philosophy on playing the game. Remember these words.

"I'm my own worst critic," Favre said. "I want to play perfectly, and there's only one way I know how to play and that is aggressive. At times it's not pretty. Does it hurt the team at times? I don't know, I'll leave that up to you guys to decide. But I will go down swinging."

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know I will be hung from the highest tree for this, but here it goes.

I really wish Brett would have been let go in the off season. I wish he would be excited, pumped and on a team with that he had a shot at taking all the way to the Super Bowl.

I think that would have been best for Brett. I think that would have been best for the NFL. I think that would have been best for the team that signed him as a free agent.

He would still have gone into the hall on a first ballot wearing Green and Gold.

You see... He is not washed up just yet. The Packers are just not a good team. Joe Montana in his prime could not take this team to the Super Bowl, how does one expect Brett to do it?

I would love to see Brett in Dallas right now... Becuase he would be the starting QB and he would have another ring on his finger at the end of the year and he deserves it.

I REPEAT.... HE DESERVES that SHOT at another ring.

R.P.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Asked whether he had thought about the possibility young players might not hit their stride this year, Favre said, "It might not be. What do you want me to do, quit? You're asking me this question, I'm well aware of it. Are you saying that it's not worth it?

"I'd love to play for everyone, but I'm not that good. (I've) got enough to worry about myself. ... I have enough people telling me I'm too old and can't do it."

After reading that. The Titans should be glad Favre will only play a series or two.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
I know I will be hung from the highest tree for this, but here it goes.

I really wish Brett would have been let go in the off season. I wish he would be excited, pumped and on a team with that he had a shot at taking all the way to the Super Bowl.

I think that would have been best for Brett. I think that would have been best for the NFL. I think that would have been best for the team that signed him as a free agent.

He would still have gone into the hall on a first ballot wearing Green and Gold.

You see... He is not washed up just yet. The Packers are just not a good team. Joe Montana in his prime could not take this team to the Super Bowl, how does one expect Brett to do it?

I would love to see Brett in Dallas right now... Becuase he would be the starting QB and he would have another ring on his finger at the end of the year and he deserves it.

I REPEAT.... HE DESERVES that SHOT at another ring.

R.P.

RP...I totally agree with you...100%.

TT should have been upfront with Favre last year and said, "Hey, i'm tearing this team down to the foundation and rebuilding it in my image. You're free to pursue a trade if you'd like. I know you want to be on a winner, and this team will not be a winner."

Instead, Favre is totally screwed this year and is left holding the bag. Not a good situation.

Personally, I think TT could have built the team around Favre, AND built for the future, and if he could have brought Favre and the Packer's to another SB in 1-2 years, TT would have been golden and able to write his own ticket in GB for years to come!

You have to take your shot when you have the talent available. I know if I had Montana or Favre on my team, I would.

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre will pull these guys together. No matter how you look at it, it is still preseason. I dont give a crap what happens. The Packers dont have a real hard schedule. They can pull it off.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
12-4

This same thread gets brought up every month. And then every month someone has to point out to the "Favre should have been traded" gang that Favre would have retired if TT tried to get rid of him. Apparently when Favre says over and over that he "would never play for another team" you guys think he's lieing. [email protected] Tom, you of all people should be ashamed of yourself for calling Brett a liar. I thought you were a Brett fan!

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i really want brett to have a good season. this might be his last year and i hope his last year is a good one.

but it dose not look like the packers are going to have a good season.
i just hope the team can come toghter and play good this year.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
12-4

This same thread gets brought up every month. And then every month someone has to point out to the "Favre should have been traded" gang that Favre would have retired if TT tried to get rid of him. Apparently when Favre says over and over that he "would never play for another team" you guys think he's lieing. [email protected] Tom, you of all people should be ashamed of yourself for calling Brett a liar. I thought you were a Brett fan!

DePack,

Don't you think that TT should have leveled with Favre and told him what he was up to--his grand master plan?

I think Favre will pull this team together (but it's going to be one of his toughest seasons), and if the Packers end up 8-8, it should be considered a Herculean task--considering what he had to work with!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think TT probably did tell Brett what he was thinking, hoping that Brett would retire. Doesn't matter though, Brett bleeds green and gold and would never play for another team. You gotta understand....Brett always thinks he can win. Doesn't matter if they are rebuilding or not, he is always going into the season thinking he can win. That's what makes him Brett Favre.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would of been better for Brett if he didn't get his hopes up to high. He may of said it with tongue in cheek but as he started talking about how talented this team was I started hoping he's not setting himself up for a big let down. I f he came back to have fun he should understand that the team will be going threw growing pains and he should consider it a success if he can pull them together back to respectability. If he's hooing for the line to become awesome and help him lead the team to playoffs we're gonna hear him get alot more frustrated before this seasons over

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cdnfavrefan said:
I think it would of been better for Brett if he didn't get his hopes up to high. He may of said it with tongue in cheek but as he started talking about how talented this team was I started hoping he's not setting himself up for a big let down. I f he came back to have fun he should understand that the team will be going threw growing pains and he should consider it a success if he can pull them together back to respectability. If he's hooing for the line to become awesome and help him lead the team to playoffs we're gonna hear him get alot more frustrated before this seasons over

Cdn...that's a nice thought but the competitive nature of a world class athlete will not let him think that way. I should know :wink:

There is no way Brett Favre ever walks out onto the field thinking he can't win. When you watch Brett Favre walk out onto the field before a game do you as a fan think "we have no shot"? Or do you think "man Brett's gonna light it up tonight. We're gonna beat those ******"? I think Brett probably thinks the same way.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True dat... DePack...

That's why it's so tough for a guy like Brett to lose.

Do you see the grimace of pain on his face as he sees his team getting beat on the field right before his eyes?

It's pitiful man...hard to watch..

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
This all comes from his press conference yesterday. Go to packers.com and listen to it. The tone in his voice says alot. It was the first time I've ever heard Favre get a little testy with a reporter.

Agree 110 % DePack, I have never heard him like that before. Facial features, tone of voice and even his body language might have one believe that he is a little more pissed than usual right now !!!

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree with you WPF and especially a guy like Brett. It's just sad as a fan when we know the truth about the o-line's talent it's kinda like watching a cat sleeping in the manifold when you start your truck, only this won't be as funny.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i just watched it. He seems disgusted with the negativity and cynical second guessing (kinda like I am).

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
i just watched it. He seems disgusted with the negativity and cynical second guessing (kinda like I am).

agreed... i think brett would get a little testy with some of the "fans" posting on this site. did i mention that favre is a bad ***

Members online

Latest posts