Favre upset with Walker

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I know I said I wouldn't post articles, but I think this is a GREAT article and I hope Walker knows his 'role' now.

Javon Walker is holding out, trying to get a more lucrative contract. Quarterback Brett Favre isn

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Old#4 had spoken on the subject of Javon Walker. Walker should take heed of Brett's Farve's advise. Brett does not speak up very often but when he does, the hold out receiver better get the message. He has two years left of his contract and has the $3M reporting bonus in his pocket which he received at the time of contact signing. This money was given as Potential of his ability. He delivered on his potential just one year ('04)Walker must play this year and have another great year. Then start renegotiating his contract. Walker is getting the wrong message from Drew Rosenhaus, his new agent!! Walker owes the Packers two years and that doesn't change. A contract is a contact. The Packers will hold the line and make him fullfill your contract. Or somebody else will have Walker's job until he reports.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
PWT36 said:
Or somebody else will have Walker's job until he reports.

and really not do that effective of a job, we need him in camp

I know where you are coming from, however everyone is replacable. I'm confident Driver and Fergie can pick up the slack.

I really hope Walker comes back quick, he was my favorite Packer until this hold out. I don't even know the guy but I feel really disappointed in his actions. I thought he was a better man than he's showing.

Not having Walker hurts the Packers after Brett leaves more than it hurts us now. I don't know if that makes sense how I worded it. But what I'm trying to say is I think with Brett he makes our receiver corp better. Without Brett I think the receiver corp has to rely on their talents to make our next QB better.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
great article. if javon doesn't take that to heart when brett actually comes out and comments on him, then i agree that we can just move on without him.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good job Mr. Favre. It's about time the players started speaking up and talking about the team concept.

I think Favre knows Rosenhaus is a bad egg.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to drink the kool-aid but...

That is a great article. Every word of Favre's statements in that are great. It's just a load of crap that these "players" hold out like this. Like I have said before, how many times has Favre held out? Alright then, you may play like the man, but it's time to start acting like the man, then you can get paid like the man.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
Good job Mr. Favre. --- I think Favre knows Rosenhaus is a bad egg.
Yepper - He just can't come out and say so.
And, of course, you know that back in the day - Rosenhaus would have been all over Brett to be "his Agent".... Can you imagine.......? Course, tho' - Brett is a good ol' boy and Drew, I hear tell, is not a rough-houser, to speak of.... Hanging around with Brett would have meant bein' able to fall into the ditch throwin' some blows for sport if the situation merited it... We know he's not out there now, doin' that - but like his book - FAVRE - says in the Terry Bradshaw forwarding comment....

Good ol' boys like to kick *** sometimes... for practically no real reason!
(Hey - it's a simple test... lighten up will ya?) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

And, isn't THAT... the real reason we like the guy ? ! ! ! !

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi guys,been out of town working.This makes me sick,I just don't understand when players do this. If he wants to sit this season then let him,but don't ttrade him either. Sounds like he hopes to do what Mac did last year,if he doesn't get his way the packers will trade him.
Maybe this rookie or someone else will pick it up and it will not hurt as bad if he does not show. :cross: :Evil:

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alot of good posts and points. I guess that blows Javon's " I just want you to respect me" out of the water! It would be great if more players spoke up. Teams need to take a stance against scumbag agents like Rottenlouse or the problem is just going to get worse.

Way to go Brett. :joy:

God I love that guy. :bow:

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
great article.

im glad somebody had the balls to speak up on the issue...players just don't do that anymore.

i just wanna get this issue resolved already. our O-unit isn't nearly as scary without Walker suited up.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Way to go Brett. Gotta love him. He says what most of us would like to say. He said basically the same thing to Sterling Sharpe too when a lot of people still considered Sharpe to be "the man" on the team when Brett was still earning his wings years ago.

There were QBs like Geoff George who had just as big of arm as Favre, but that leadership quality Favre has is something a lot of QBs don't have. I'll sure miss that about him as much as his play on the field when he retires someday.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All Javon has doing at this point is catching up to his contract. Even if he is underpaid now, the first two years he was overpaid because he really didn't do didley. Actually he's just repaying a debt. That's one way you could look at it. :roll:

spaulding

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
All Javon has doing at this point is catching up to his contract. Even if he is underpaid now, the first two years he was overpaid because he really didn't do didley. Actually he's just repaying a debt. That's one way you could look at it. :roll:

Drew Rosenhaus would call you a dirty liar for saying that

spaulding

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was told that Flanagan was on Dan Patrick's radio show and said that if they re-did Walker's contract there would be 10 guys outside TT's office for their payday, him included. Ahman, Grady, Favre and Flanagan have all gone public with their feelings; how many in the locker room does Walker really think are behind him?

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
spaulding said:
I was told that Flanagan was on Dan Patrick's radio show and said that if they re-did Walker's contract there would be 10 guys outside TT's office for their payday, him included. Ahman, Grady, Favre and Flanagan have all gone public with their feelings; how many in the locker room does Walker really think are behind him?

I hope Javon know's what is going on. I'm hoping he is the man I think he is. I'd be a little bummed if I can't root for him to catch balls over the Vikings Darren Sharper.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^^^^Posted IPB's Article^^^^
Guys if you find good stuff like this, post it. That way people don't have to leave to read it. Just make sure you cite where it came from.

Quarterbacks show leadership in recent flaps

By Vic Carucci
National Editor, NFL.com

(May 4, 2005) -- Nowhere does it say a quarterback and a receiver must be the best of friends to form a successful combination on the field.

And if their relationship does happen to be strained, that isn't always on public display. As long as the throwing and catching consistently produce positive results, there is a tendency for any friction to become lost in the process.

Unless, of course, that friction should turn into headline news, as has been the case on three occasions this offseason.

The most recent quarterback-receiver flap came earlier this week when Brett Favre sounded off about the holdout of Javon Walker from Green Bay Packers' post-draft minicamp. Favre openly questioned the manner in which his Pro Bowl receiver was attempting to get a salary increase after a breakout season in 2004. Favre even went as far as to tell a Green Bay newspaper he hoped the Packers "don't give in to him."

Last week, Donovan McNabb took on his Pro Bowl receiver, Terrell Owens, who also is a holdout. McNabb didn't mention Owens by name and didn't criticize him for not showing up at the Philadelphia Eagles' minicamp. However, there was no doubt to whom McNabb was referring when, during a gathering with reporters, he offered the following words of warning to his vocal teammate: "Just keep my name out of your mouth."

That was in response to the following comment Owens made to ESPN that was clearly in reference to McNabb, even though he never mentioned the quarterback by name: "I wasn't the guy who got tired in the Super Bowl." After the Eagles' Super Bowl loss to New England, Philadelphia center Hank Fraley revealed McNabb suffered from a severe case of fatigue and had vomited in the huddle during the late stages in the game when the quarterback and the rest of the offense seemed to be operating at a stunningly casual pace. McNabb has denied that was the case, and while he cleared the air in a conversation with Fraley, he took exception to negative remarks being directed toward him in the media.

A few weeks ago, Eli Manning called out Jeremy Shockey for choosing to do his offseason conditioning work at his alma mater, the University of Miami, rather than at the New York Giants' facility where the two could do some much-needed work on their timing. Shockey recently made a brief appearance at the Giants' New Jersey headquarters, caught some passes from Manning, and then quickly returned to South Florida. Before he left, he wondered aloud to reporters why Manning had singled him out when other Giants players, including Plaxico Burress, were working out in Miami.

What we're seeing are instances of quarterbacks exercising the leadership that comes with their position. As dependent as they might be on their receivers, quarterbacks never can lose sight of the big picture. Their focus has to be on the team, on doing everything within their power to help the offense function as well as it possibly can and to try and maintain a sense of unity.

Offseason workouts might not involve contact or be the sexiest events in the world. However, they do serve a purpose. Besides giving rookies an introduction to the playbook and what they can expect when the pads start to pop in the summer, they also allow the quarterback and his receivers to develop a sense of familiarity. In fact, nothing is addressed more thoroughly in these sessions than the passing game.

As long as Donovan McNabb and Terrell Owens are on the same page on the field, Philly should be OK.

When quarterbacks show up to throw, they expect their receivers to be there to catch. They appreciate that at some point, every player tries to use whatever leverage he has to increase his salary, and that sometimes withholding services is the only option available. They realize they could very well find themselves in the same situation -- if they haven't already.

But when an offense, such as the Giants', is at an early and critical stage of development, their only concern is on doing all that is necessary for improvement. Spending every available minute of offseason practice time on enhancing their timing is one of the most effective ways for quarterbacks and receivers to improve their performance, the offense, and the chances to win.

It is not about a power trip. Favre is an icon, one of the biggest names in the history of the game. Yet he knows the limitations of his influence with the Packers. He is not paid to make front-office decisions. He is paid to be a quarterback. He is paid to lead.

"That's why I decided to speak up," Favre told the Green Bay Press-Gazette. "I need to be a leader. And even though I may not like having to do it, I think some things needed to be said."

That was McNabb's thinking when he addressed reporters in the middle of the storm Owens created with a holdout and demand for the Eagles to give him a new contract after only one season of a six-year deal.

Owens' squabble with the Eagles' front office is almost an afterthought, given how highly predictable it was. Anyone who has followed his combustible stint with San Francisco knew he would do something like this sooner than later. Perhaps this is a tad sooner than one would reasonably expect, but Owens never has been about reason. Owens still is about Owens, even after his remarkable performance in the Super Bowl after suffering a broken leg and ligament damage in December that figured to end his season.

Owens' comment about McNabb is an entirely different matter. Taking a cheap swipe at his quarterback was neither necessary nor smart. Owens knows if he is open, McNabb will continue to fire the ball in his direction, regardless of their feelings for each other. But he must realize that with good chemistry, they can become that much more effective for a longer period (provided Owens intends to spend another year or two in Philadelphia).

Owens also must realize the Eagles are McNabb's team.

McNabb handled the situation perfectly when he said, in an even-handed but firm tone: "If there's a problem with anyone, and they feel the need to lash out, they know how to get in touch with me and we can handle it like men."

After only a partial season as a starter in which he (and the Giants) felt considerable rookie growing pains, Manning still has a long way to go to establish himself as a leader. But he is taking the early critical steps in that direction. And one of those steps is to let his tight end know they need to spend more time working together on the field.

But Shockey also understands Manning's perspective.

"If I was in his shoes," he said, "I'd want everybody (in New Jersey)."

That's how someone wearing the shoes of a quarterback is supposed to think. And there are times when it will lead to clashes with someone wearing the shoes of a pass-catcher.

Latest posts