FAVRE TRADE DONE?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love the trade.
I wish Brett would just retire a Packer, but this is the next best thing.

Favre gets what he wants, Packers get what they want... EVERYBODY HAPPY.

Simms is a tough son of a ***** i think. The Panthers almost killed that kid. I was at the game and you could see he wanted to just kill over and die on the sidelines but he played through it. that kind of determination and will is welcome here anytime (unless you retire 9 times and then demand your spot back)

Bottom line is... we lose Flynn (assuming Simms can beat him out) and gain a second rounder.

The best part about all this is. we get a free draft pick which i find hilarious. we just traded a retired quarterback for a young up and coming QB and a second rounder. we got two great values and lost nothing.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't getting Simms be the same as a seventh rounder when everything was said and done. Value pick and trade bait when someone goes down somewhere else in camp.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love the trade.
I wish Brett would just retire a Packer, but this is the next best thing.

Favre gets what he wants, Packers get what they want... EVERYBODY HAPPY.

Simms is a tough son of a ***** i think. The Panthers almost killed that kid. I was at the game and you could see he wanted to just kill over and die on the sidelines but he played through it. that kind of determination and will is welcome here anytime (unless you retire 9 times and then demand your spot back)

Bottom line is... we lose Flynn (assuming Simms can beat him out) and gain a second rounder.

The best part about all this is. we get a free draft pick which i find hilarious. we just traded a retired quarterback for a young up and coming QB and a second rounder. we got two great values and lost nothing.

Good point, Simms is a tough SOB.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Favre to Tampa for 2nd rounder + Simms
Simms + 2nd round pick to Miami
Jason Taylor to GB

?

:idea:

You're smart.

EDIT: Change that to Simms and a third and I like it better.

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting Jason Taylor after trading Brett away. God that would **** Favre off lol. But Taylor still says it's a no-go to Green Bay, plus with Brett gone even the slightest chance gets thinner.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting Jason Taylor after trading Brett away. God that would **** Favre off lol. But Taylor still says it's a no-go to Green Bay, plus with Brett gone even the slightest chance gets thinner.

Can't a guy dream for a minute before the voice of reason comes in?

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
djcubez said:

Can't a guy dream for a minute before the voice of reason comes in?
I only accept Josh Hamilton dreams :p

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
How is this for a better deal.. Favre for Gaines Adams straight up.. then Tampa can trade for Taylor themselves, Taylor stays in south Florida and play with Favre..

Adams would be a corner piece DE that is still a little raw.. but has upside beyond belief..

Since we are dreamin... :lol:

Pack93z

Reaction score
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/37583-brett-favre-to-be-traded-to-tampa-bay

July 15, 2008, Tampa, FL: Brett Favre arrived this morning at the Buccaneer’s training facility for the press conference to announce that he will be re-joining John Gruden and donning the #4 in pewter and crimson for 2008. Favre was extremely emotional as he addressed the media.

"It is a sad day for me, leaving behind the team I helped to win a championship," Favre said. "But most of those guys are gone, and it was obvious to me the team wanted to go in a new direction."

Favre concluded the press conference by saying, "I'm just glad we were able to get a deal worked out to bring me here. I love the weather. I am closer to home. I have a chance to win a championship and I'm just happy to put all the drama behind me."

Team representatives, while claiming this was a football decision, could not conceal the effects a Packers legend may have on their gate. "Maybe we'll convert some of them," Gruden said with a wry smile regarding the retired Packers fans now living in the Tampa area.

In the deal, the Packers sent Favre and his $12.8 million contract they could no longer afford to take on after making moves under the expectation of Favre not returning, General Manager Ted Thompson said. In return, they get Tampa Bay's first round pick in 2009, back-up Brian Griese, and the rights to Jake Plummer who, unlike Favre, is not expected to un-retire—“That is a move to give the Bucs cap space," Thompson said.

"This makes us a contender right now," Gruden said. He was asked how much more he expects out of Favre than the almost Pro Bowl performance of Jeff Garcia in 2007, especially since Favre will need to learn the offense. "(Our offense) is similar to what (Favre's) been running in Green Bay, and he's a smart quarterback... he'll pick it up." He never did address what kind of an upgrade Favre would bring over Garcia.

"It was time for us to move on," Thompson said. "We have to find out what Aaron (Rodgers) can do, and establish the quarterback position for the long-term. Brett did a lot for us, but we couldn't keep playing the waiting game. Eventually he was going to retire, and when he said he had this March, we took him at his word, and we acted. Now we could not un-ring that bell."

Thompson said that when Favre had made it clear he wanted to come back, the team knew they could not release him. They talked with Favre about teams he would be willing to be traded to, and Tampa Bay was the only place on both lists that was also a willing trading partner, he said.

It is a satire piece of course.. but is it a crystal ball of sorts.. other than the terms of the trade.. :lol:

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe we should make a "I have a dream..." thread regarding how we personally would like this situation to be resolved ;)

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting trade, but I have no idea why we would take a QB when we just drafted two of them. And if we were to pick a QB off the Tampa roster wouldn't we go with Jeff Garcia? He'd be a better fit in my opinion and can provide some leadership.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This new blurb from PFT

FAVRE TO THE REDSKINS?
Posted by Mike Florio on July 15, 2008, 2:11 p.m. EDT
A reader tells us that WFAN’s Mike Francesa said earlier this afternoon that the Packers could be trading quarterback Brett Favre to the Carolina Panthers or the Washington Redskins for a conditional first-round draft pick.

You get the feeling that with all these rumors flying around, it's gonna happen. Soon.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=406763

Someone just called into the radio and said they saw Bruce Allen eating dinner with Brett Favre at Flemings.

*edit*
Another person that works at Flemings confirmed they were both there.

Someone that works at the Bucs facility also called in, and said he toured the facility last night. And, there are rumors the Bucs have contacted GB about a trade.

*edit*
Someone else just called in, and said it's a done deal. A 2nd rounder & Chris Simms for Favre.

This is not true. Favre wasn't eating in Tampa last night.

Not true

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea when I look at possible trade scenario's for Favre most teams already have a QB in place. Garcia's worked pretty hard and isn't bad for TB. The Ravens have two young guys in Smith and Flacco, in addition to the lowly Boller. The Vikings are all giving praise to Jackson and many say he's slated for a breakout year (unless he truly does suck). It's true that any team, no matter who their current QB was, would definitely not turn down an option to get a QB like Favre right away, but there's so many teams that have already committed to an option, just as the Packers have committed to Rodgers.

Also, if you take into account the fact that Favre has never started for another team EVER and he's gotten used to playing in relatively similar systems with the same stadium and crowd for 16 season's, well, it makes it a little hard to believe he'd just as good in any other color besides Green and Gold.

What I'm trying to say is, trading for Brett Favre can turn out to be risky business for other teams. Sure, who wouldn't take a shot at a future hall of famer if you have the opportunity, but you can't expect to see the same results.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Jennings85.. nice find.. there goes that rumor blown to pieces with fact but hey.. unless maybe one of the gents was Favre in a 007 disquise.. :lol:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Chevelle2 said:
http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=406763

Someone just called into the radio and said they saw Bruce Allen eating dinner with Brett Favre at Flemings.

*edit*
Another person that works at Flemings confirmed they were both there.

Someone that works at the Bucs facility also called in, and said he toured the facility last night. And, there are rumors the Bucs have contacted GB about a trade.

*edit*
Someone else just called in, and said it's a done deal. A 2nd rounder & Chris Simms for Favre.

Not true

Of course Brett wouldnt be seen in public the same night the interview was to be aired..To much speculation for tampering.

However maybe people representing Brett could have dined with Allen? ;)

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
This new blurb from PFT

FAVRE TO THE REDSKINS?
Posted by Mike Florio on July 15, 2008, 2:11 p.m. EDT
A reader tells us that WFAN’s Mike Francesa said earlier this afternoon that the Packers could be trading quarterback Brett Favre to the Carolina Panthers or the Washington Redskins for a conditional first-round draft pick.

You get the feeling that with all these rumors flying around, it's gonna happen. Soon.

I laughed at this comment from a user at PFT

So is there any rules in place that would keep the evil Dan Snyder from immediately shipped Favre to Minnesota for a king’s ransom?

I suppose that would be in the trade agreement, but man, that would be funny.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not true

That story links to our very own PackOne's blog. WTG PackOne!!

And it's all heresay at this point. Two people who were at Flemings said they saw Brett. One person who was there said he wasn't. It's 2-1 saying he was there. How can someone dismiss a rumor with another rumor?

Pack93z

Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
That story links to our very own PackOne's blog. WTG PackOne!!?

Didn't even click the link.. PackOne goes to Tampa.. how was the trip. :lol:

Congrats.

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Florida is all over my blog right now.

EDIT: Florio would be proud.

You should talk to Florio and be PFT's official Packer's corresponding blog. Or not and say you did, your call. As long as there's no lies and just untruth's.

Members online