1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Favre to have ankle surgery

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Heatherthepackgirl, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Favre plans ankle surgery for Monday

By Pete Dougherty
    pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com

INDIANAPOLIS — Quarterback Brett Favre is scheduled to have surgery on his left ankle in Green Bay on Monday, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Favre, who will have several bone spurs removed from his ankle, is expected to fly to Green Bay on Sunday and have the procedure performed Monday by team physician Pat McKenzie. However, there’s always the chance that the heavy snowstorms in Green Bay this weekend could prevent Favre from flying in from Mississippi on Sunday and thus force a postponement of the procedure.

Earlier this week at the NFL Scouting Combine, coach Mike McCarthy said Favre was going to have the surgery within a couple weeks and said his rehabilitation probably will take eight to 10 weeks. McCarthy said he expected Favre to be ready for the team’s first full-squad minicamp May 20, and if he has the surgery Monday, that will give him plenty of time to have recovered from surgery.

The Packers’ medical staff has recommended that Favre have the surgery for at least the last five years, but each offseason he put it off. But after deciding in early February that he was returning for his 17th NFL season, he also determined to have the surgery to alleviate the chronic pain and perhaps help his mobility a little.

2. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Taking a sharp knife to Brett's foot and slicing it open and deep through the meat.
    While Brett's foot is bleeding taking a power grinder to the Brett's bones and grinding those bones down, chips flying.
    When is looks good enough take a sharp needle and run it through Brett's flesh. With thread attached to the sharp spike continue to run the spike through the fleshy bits one layer at a time, tugging and binding each of the layers together. Chemicals will be applied throughout the process to kill the foreign living organisms that would grow and thrive on the nutrients within Brett's body.
    The red lifeblood will continue to drip and ooze from the severed foot so cloth will be applied to absorb the running blood until it coagulates, a thick ugly scar forms and Brett's blood stops flowing.
    Later the surface binding stiches will be sliced and the individual pieces removed from the holes in Brett's foot. The pain and suffering will be relatively intense. It will take many weeks for the foot to begin to function again.
    I hope there is no medical malpractice.

Gee, I wonder why Brett put this off so long???

3. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    LOL!
    Well, if it's arthroscopic it's not so bad. It's alot less invasive then the old days.
    Back in the mid 1980's i had my shoulder scoped, and quite a bit of bone shaved off. That took several months to heal. And BOY, was it PAINFUL!!!Being the shoulder though, i could keep it immobile. The ankle is tough, cause you can't get around very well if you can't use your foot.
    But hey.....this is FAVRE we're talking about! The guy had several feet of intestines removed, and was playing football a month later!
    (Little know fact......he would have been out on the field even sooner, but he tried practicing, and a guy went to sack him and several feet of intestines fell out on the ground. Brett looked to the sidelines, where his Dad was standing. His Dad said "WHAT!?!? You expect me to come out there and get you??? PICK UP YOUR GUTS AND WALK IT OFF!!!" It took several minutes for Brett to get to the sidelines, as if you have ever had this kind of thing happen to you, you know intestines are VERY hard to grip, and are quite slippery!)
    So the team doc made him sit out a month.

4. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    This simply amazes me. I cannot understand why Brett has waited this long. He was going to have the surgery the week after the Bears game. He has wasted six weeks of recovery time by not having the surgery right away. Sometimes he can be so selfish.

5. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    it seems pretty clear to me that he's holding the team hostage.

6. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I heard he's been waiting for the bone spurs to make a counter offer.

7. Timmons

Timmons Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Are the bone spurs unrestricted free agents? If so, this negotiation could take a while.

8. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Packers QB Favre finally has ankle surgery Click here to find out more!
    NFL.com wire reports

GREEN BAY, Wis. (Feb. 26, 2007) -- Packers quarterback Brett Favre had minor ankle surgery and is expected to recover in time for offseason workouts.

Favre, who plans to return for his 17th NFL season, has been bothered for several years by a buildup of bone spurs in his left ankle. He kept putting off the procedure, and skipped out on a previously scheduled surgery Jan. 1.

"The procedure went as expected and he is recovering at this time," Green Bay general manager Ted Thompson said in a statement. "We expect no complications and that he will be cleared to participate in offseason workouts similar to his schedule in 2006."

Favre had surgery on the same ankle after a similar problem in 1995.

Favre said the week before the Packers' Dec. 31 season finale in Chicago that the pain was worse in practice because in games, you just "suck it up and go."

"I don't want to sound like John Wayne," Favre said. "It's not, 'Favre's walking around with knives sticking in his foot.' It's painful at times, but there's a lot of people who go through similar things."

Even with his past struggles with addiction to prescription painkillers, Favre said at the time that he could have taken medicine to dull the pain last year -- but he didn't.

"I guess I could, if it really came down to it," Favre said. "But that wouldn't help in this case. Because when I wake up in the morning, it takes me, I don't know, a while just to move around and all that stuff. But once I get going during the day, it's tolerable. And to take them during the game, which I never did before, that wouldn't be worth it."

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

9. CalifPacker

CalifPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Good to hear it went well. Fixed the giddy-up.

10. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I heard that the bone spurs had Drew Rosenhaus as their agent, and as soon as they fired him, the deal got completed and they were removed.

11. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I heard on NFLN that recovery time is usually 8-10 weeks, and the Packers are set to move back their mini-camps in order to allow Favre a chance to attend.

Darn, they really seem to be pushing Brett out the door don't they? :p

12. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I heard Brett PLANNED it this way, JUST to see if the Packers would change their mini camp JUST for him!!!