Favre to decide soon...

magic_8ball

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Packerchatters.com, Brett might have a decision by week's end and a press conference to announce the decision by mid-next week.

vegOmatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChatters is just another Internet forum with people who don't know anything more than we do.

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
magic_8ball said:
According to Packerchatters.com, Brett might have a decision by week's end and a press conference to announce the decision by mid-next week.

Packerchatters.com??? LMAO...

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry to dash hopes of a quick resolution. My take on this is last year all over again .....

From this morning's(1/31)Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel...
----

Favre to base decision on personal issues, not football
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: Jan. 30, 2007
Miami - Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre reached out to coach Mike McCarthy, but did not provide an answer as to whether he will come back next season.

During the season, Brett Favre said spending more time with his family would weigh on his mind when making a decision whether to come back.

Quotable
There's no question that (he can play). And the most important thing is that he doesn't question that, either. I think everyone is on the same page as to whether he can play.

- Mike McCarthy

Favre has been home in Hattiesburg, Miss., since the 2006 season ended, tending to his usual chores and getting his mind off football. Favre was at his daughter Brittany's basketball game last week when he told a local reporter he intended to touch base with McCarthy.

After some phone tag, the two finally connected a couple of days ago.

"He was power-washing the driveway when I talked to him," McCarthy said Tuesday.

There has been a lot of speculation and rumor regarding Favre's future, and some are under the assumption he will make a decision this week or next on whether to return. But McCarthy said nothing Favre said led him to think a decision was imminent and, as far as he's concerned, that's not a problem.

He understands that Favre has some things to think through.

"It was a very good talk," McCarthy said, choosing not to identify exactly when they spoke. "It always is. I've never felt any of our talks were (not fruitful). Even all through last year. I know from the outside people were frustrated with the waiting, but the man has played a long time and it's a process he has to go through. And he's going through it again.

"There's nothing wrong with talking through it."

Asked if he thought his discussions with Favre would help the quarterback sort things out, McCarthy said maybe. But his intent isn't to talk him into something he doesn't want to do.

"I'm not going to sit there and make his mind up for him," McCarthy said. "By no means, is that my decision. He and (wife) Deanna have to make it."

What McCarthy did gather from his conversation with Favre is that his decision will come down to personal and family matters. Both McCarthy and Thompson told Favre he still has what it takes to be an effective quarterback and it appears Favre agrees.

There have been some whispers that Favre would like to see the offense upgraded and, perhaps, even have the Packers trade for disgruntled Oakland receiver Randy Moss. But McCarthy said the status of the team wasn't on Favre's mind.

"It really has nothing to do with the team," McCarthy said. "I think Brett's questions last year were with regards to so many new things: new coach, new staff, (new) terminology, new players. The issue of whether to play, from my understanding, really doesn't have anything to do with the team."

During the season, Favre said spending more time with his family would weigh on his mind when making a decision whether to come back. Brittany has stayed in Hattiesburg year-round so she didn't have to change high schools while the rest of the family lived in Green Bay during the season.

McCarthy said he didn't come away with an opinion on which way Favre was leaning, but understands why many people think he will come back. In the regular-season finale against the Chicago Bears, the eventual NFC champion, Favre played well, completing 21 of 42 passes for 285 yards with a touchdown and an interception.

"I can see why everybody says he's going to play because of all the positives," McCarthy said. "There's no question that (he can play). And the most important thing is that he doesn't question that, either. I think everyone is on the same page as to whether he can play."

That certainly seemed to be the case at Super Bowl XLI media day at Dolphins Stadium.

Numerous coaches and current and former players were asked whether they thought Favre should continue to play and almost to a man they said yes. No one said they thought Favre was washed up.

"All I know is that he's a guy that can still perform," said Jim Caldwell, Indianapolis Colts assistant head coach/quarterbacks. "He's one of the great quarterbacks in this league. He's an incredible leader. Players gravitate toward him and around him. All of us within this game have a great amount of respect for that guy."

Thompson, meanwhile, said he did not visit Favre during his trip last week to Mobile, Ala., for the Senior Bowl because he did not want to push the quarterback for an answer too quickly. He said there was a timeframe in which he would like a decision but he wouldn't say whether it had begun.

"I purposely left him alone for a couple weeks to give him time," Thompson said. "Mike has had some conversations with him the last several days and I'm sure I'll be in touch with him pretty soon. I think everybody understands where we are. Brett was the first one to say he'd like to make a decision early."

Presumably, Thompson could wait as late as the end of February, given that free agency begins March 2. But it would be a problem if the decision came after that because if Favre retires, the Packers are going to want to pursue a veteran to compete with 2005 first-round pick Aaron Rodgers, who still has much to prove before being given the starting job.

"Everyone understands the timeframe we're dealing with, but we haven't put a timeline on it," McCarthy said. "Obviously, we just don't want to get into what we got into last year."

Davis re-signed: The Packers have signed long snapper Rob Davis to a one-year minimum wage contract that will pay the 38-year-old veteran a base salary of $820,000, according to the NFL Players Association's Web site. Davis, who is entering his 12th NFL season and 11th with the Packers, is expected to earn an additional $40,000 in bonuses or incentives, which is standard for that kind of contract.

The Packers will receive a veteran exemption, which means Davis' salary-cap number will only be $475,000.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If anyone starts in with the "Favre is holding the team hostage talk", it would be disrespectful to Coach McCarthy, and his opinion about the situation. It would be like calling McCarthy a liar or "an idiot".....

Numerous coaches and current and former players were asked whether they thought Favre should continue to play and almost to a man they said yes. No one said they thought Favre was washed up.

Interesting that nobody claimed that Favre was losing "accuracy or arm strength" either....I guess the professionals who really know what they are talking about are the ones to listen to.....

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great article!! I sure hope Brett makes his decision sooner this year then last, but in my eyes he should be able to take all the time that he needs to sort out what he wants to do...IMO I think he will be back...

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it seems it is more family than football that he is molling over,but i guess we just have to be paticent which i have none of so i hope it is soon :twocents:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a case of people wanting to be the first in line to say "SEE? I told you so!"
In other words, IF Favre DID make the decision in the time frame first stated in this post, the one who originally made it would jump to say THEY were right and had inside information.
If on the other hand, nothing happens, people tend to forget these fortune tellers.
(I meant Packerchatters)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
If anyone starts in with the "Favre is holding the team hostage talk", it would be disrespectful to Coach McCarthy, and his opinion about the situation. It would be like calling McCarthy a liar or "an idiot".....

Interesting that nobody claimed that Favre was losing "accuracy or arm strength" either....I guess the professionals who really know what they are talking about are the ones to listen to.....

I'm not sure what you consider professionals, but I assume you mean HC and GM's and no HC or GM is going to put a knock on a future HoF'er who is adored by hundreds of millions.
Some analyst's and commentors have noticed Brett's accuracy an zip have decreased. If you don't want to trust them, trust Brett. He said he's not the same as he used to be 10 years ago. Sounds like he has accepted it. By no means am I saying Brett is worse with accuracy an arm strength than say Rodgers. No, not at all.
I think Brett is top 7 QB in the nfl right now. Even though I think there may be six better than him, I'd rather have Brett.

I found this interesting
Both McCarthy and Thompson told Favre he still has what it takes to be an effective quarterback and it appears Favre agrees.
Brett has said if the game is fun for him, he can still play that he would keep playing. In my view, the team is going in the right direction and he realizes it and this year (2007) could very well be a year the Packers could hit the playoffs.

"There's no question that (he can play). And the most important thing is that he doesn't question that, either. I think everyone is on the same page as to whether he can play."- Mike McCarthy

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

----
As an update: Favre said he was going to make a decision "in two weeks...it's not going to be dragged out"...paraphasing direct quotes.

As of today, it's 30 days and counting....

Look at the passer rating rankings...

2006 Regular Season NFL · AFC · NFC

NFL Passer Rating
Rank Player Team Yds Att Cmp TDs Ints Long Rating
1 Peyton Manning IND 4397 557 362 31 9 68 101.0
2 Damon Huard KC 1878 244 148 11 1 78 98.0
3 Drew Brees NO 4418 554 356 26 11 86 96.2
4 Donovan McNabb PHI 2647 316 180 18 6 87 95.5
5 Tony Romo DAL 2903 337 220 19 13 56 95.1
6 Carson Palmer CIN 4035 520 324 28 13 74 93.9
7 Marc Bulger STL 4301 588 370 24 8 67 92.9
8 Philip Rivers SD 3388 460 284 22 9 57 92.0
9 Tom Brady NE 3529 516 319 24 12 62 87.9
10 Mark Brunell WAS 1789 260 162 8 4 74 86.5
11 J.P. Losman BUF 3051 429 268 19 14 83 84.9
12 Chad Pennington NYJ 3352 485 313 17 16 71 82.6
13 Jake Delhomme CAR 2805 431 263 17 11 72 82.6
14 Steve McNair BAL 3050 468 295 16 12 87 82.5
15 David Carr HOU 2767 442 302 11 12 53 82.1
16 David Garrard JAC 1735 241 145 10 9 49 80.5
17 Jon Kitna DET 4208 596 372 21 22 60 79.9
18 Eli Manning NYG 3244 522 301 24 18 55 77.0
19 Matt Hasselbeck SEA 2442 371 210 18 15 72 76.0
20 Michael Vick ATL 2474 388 204 20 13 55 75.7
21 Ben Roethlisberger PIT 3513 469 280 18 23 67 75.4
22 Alex Smith SF 2890 442 257 16 16 75 74.8
23 Matt Leinart ARI 2547 377 214 11 12 58 74.0
24 Rex Grossman CHI 3193 480 262 23 20 62 73.9
25 Brett Favre GB 3885 613 343 18 18 82 72.7
26 Charlie Frye CLE 2454 392 252 10 17 75 72.2
27 Brad Johnson MIN 2750 439 270 9 15 46 72.0
28 Jake Plummer DEN 1994 317 175 11 13 83 68.8
29 Joey Harrington MIA 2236 388 223 12 15 48 68.2
30 Vince Young TEN 2199 357 184 12 13 53 66.7
-----

"Just the facts, ma'am"--Joe Friday

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about the ratings is the big drop for an interception.
I have seen stats where one QB threw many more completions for many more yards but his QB rating was right where the other QB was who did virtually nothing but didn't throw a pick.

INT's can be very costly or not at all and when the bring that into the formula it will reflect a truer picture of how a QB played. There's a big difference when a QB throws a red zone INT vs. a last ditch pass on the last play before half time.

Favre's 25th based on passer rating but I have seen many games where he completely outplayed the other QB but ended up with a lower rating. I'm not sold on the formula for that at all.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah stop saying favre doesnt have the same arm strength and accuracy!

even though he admitted it himself, but what does he know.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My original point, Zero was that some here were suggesting that Favre should be "replaced" as QB in GB because of his "fading arm strength and accuracy". This is not what is being said in the above article by McCarthy and others who play or comment professionally for the NFL....

But if you want to split hairs....

Also, posting a comparison of QB ratings without providing the context or reasons why that may be so, is also unfair, imo....(ie. the rookies on the O-line, the lack of a consistent running game, the 1 WR threat, etc..)

You can't have it both ways....

IF it's the crappy Sherman team that was inherited by TT in '05 and is still "rebuilding" in '06 that is the largely the problem in Green Bay, and is the reason behind of TT's and MM's current record, then that fact should also hold true for any judgements regarding Brett Favre...He has had to work with that same "crappy Sherman team"...

You can't fairly say that TT inherited a terrible team in '05, and also say at the same time that somehow Brett Favre was supposed to lead the league in passer ratings and other stats with this same crappy team. Yet, that's what some people seem to be doing in the case of Favre.

All I am saying is that it's hypocritical and wrong to do so.

(Even McCarthy would admit to this....)

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How did "Favre to decide soon" turn into yet another thread arguing about a subject that has been hashed over so many times on this forum it is gettning down right ridiculous?

MIKE SHERMAN IS GONE!!!!!!! TED THOMPSON IS GM, MIKE MCCARTHY IS HC. THE PACKERS ARE BETTER NOW THEN THEY WERE AT THE END OF 2005. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Hopefully they continue to improve, this sensless arguing does nothing to help that fact.

Brett will make an announcement between now and March 2nd, if it doesn't happen by then, the arguments will surely to start again.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
My original point, Zero was that some here were suggesting that Favre should be "replaced" as QB in GB because of his "fading arm strength and accuracy". This is not what is being said in the above article by McCarthy and others who play or comment professionally for the NFL....

But if you want to split hairs....

Also, posting a comparison of QB ratings without providing the context or reasons why that may be so, is also unfair, imo....(ie. the rookies on the O-line, the lack of a consistent running game, the 1 WR threat, etc..)

You can't have it both ways....

IF it's the crappy Sherman team that was inherited by TT in '05 and is still "rebuilding" in '06 that is the largely the problem in Green Bay, and is the reason behind of TT's and MM's current record, then that fact should also hold true for any judgements regarding Brett Favre...He has had to work with that same "crappy Sherman team"...

You can't fairly say that TT inherited a terrible team in '05, and also say at the same time that somehow Brett Favre was supposed to lead the league in passer ratings and other stats with this same crappy team. Yet, that's what some people seem to be doing in the case of Favre.

All I am saying is that it's hypocritical and wrong to do so.

(Even McCarthy would admit to this....)

Whoa, put your bi-focals on. You are putting words in my mouth and I do NOT appreciate it one bit. I've been extremely fair in my comments about Brett. When I've said he's lost his accuracy or arm strength it was based off what HE said himself and what I seen with watching games this year opposed to 5-10 years ago. I've said NUMEROUS times he's the QB I want even though I think he's maybe in the 5-10 best QB in the league. Pay the crap attention man. Brett was so much better than the rest of the league he has room to have some talent drop off and jesus ellie menoh pee christ he's been in the league for a decade an half, skills diminishing are BOUND TO HAPPEN!

Sherman hindered Favre, I'VE SAID IT MANY TIMES! Sherman was afraid to COACH Favre, unlike you see McCarthy doing on the sideline. How many times did McCarthy grab Favre after a stupid INT an give him some words of disgust? SEVERAL! How many times did Sherman? ZERO! Because he was AFRAID to COACH him. Brett NEEDS to be coached.

If you're gonna preach your ignorance, do it on someone else's behalf.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Zero,

You really think the world revolves around you, don't you? I wasn't referring to you in the least, unless there's something I don't know about that you have a guilty conscience about...

Take it down a notch pal..it's a Packerforum. We're all rooting for the same team!

(Sorry to everyone else on the forum that this stuff gets out of hand...for some reason...)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Zero,

You really think the world revolves around you, don't you? I wasn't referring to you in the least, unless there's something I don't know about that you have a guilty conscience about...

Take it down a notch pal..it's a Packerforum. We're all rooting for the same team!

(Sorry to everyone else on the forum that this stuff gets out of hand...for some reason...)

My apologies, when I see a post directed towards me with my screen name I assume its geared towards me. Silly thought, I know. Must be that guilty conscience I have. Again, my apologies.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett is supposedly basing his retirement on everything except his team. Is that good or bad?

If he didn't care about his team, he wouldn't have played last year. Now, his family comes first. Which is as it SHOULD be.
He has the luxery of deciding if he wants to work anymore. He's got enough money to last his and his kids lifetimes.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Maybe I didn't word that accurately.

edit,
MILWAUKEE -- Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Tuesday he believes Brett Favre's decision on whether he will return next season will depend on personal and family issues.

"It really has nothing to do with the team," McCarthy told The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Tuesday in Miami, where the Super Bowl will be played Sunday. "I think Brett's questions last year were with regards to so many new things: new coach, new staff, [new] terminology, new players."

Those things are apparently not part of the mix this time, McCarthy said.

So, is that good or bad?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts