FAVRE, THOMPSON DON'T LIKE EACH OTHER

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Hurry and read this before AADP merges into a thread where it gets lost and 24 hours later someone else posts it!!

PFT.com said:
The root of the recent turmoil in Green Bay between the front office and quarterback Brett Favre boils down to one reality.

Favre doesn't like G.M. Ted Thompson, and Thompson doesn't like Favre. Neither man will ever say it, but we're told that it's true.

A year ago, we had heard from reliable sources that Favre's wishy-washy routine about his return in 2006 was intended in part to twist Thompson's tail.

This time around, it appears that there is a major trust issue between Favre and Thompson, especially in light of the now-deleted posts on Favre's web site from his friend/pilot "DavidPHX" regarding the apparent arrangement that, if Favre announced his plans to return before the Super Bowl, Thompson would try to upgrade the talent. With no apparent upgrade, Favre feels that Thompson didn't keep his end of the bargain.

Although Favre's fury has been calmed for now, it remains to be seen whether he continues to play nice. A source with knowledge of the situation says that the team will pursue receiver Keyshawn Johnson in an effort to placate Favre.

But, as we see it, Keyshawn doesn't add enough to the passing game to make up for the lack of an established tailback; the presence of Randy Moss might have.

The sore point in all of this continues to be the failure of the team to land Moss. As we hear it, part of Favre's frustration is that the team waited too long to make a move, in the hopes that the price tag for the trade would drop. The problem is that, by the time the price dropped, the Patriots were on the radar screen.

So by dilly-dallying, Thompson missed out on a chance to make Favre feel better about the quality of the roster heading into what could be his final NFL season. And that only has made Favre feel worse about Thompson.

The players, we're told, generally support Favre on this one. Not because it was right for him to speak out (arguably, it wasn't), but because he's the leader of the team and his teammates love him.

And they don't want to have to play with the alternative to Favre: Aaron Rodgers.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would TT not like Brett?

I see why Brett Doesn't like TT, but I don't see why TT doesn't get the players needed to get the Packers back in the playoffs.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I don't understand what Ted would have against Brett either. Maybe Ted is jealous that Brett is okay talking in front of people and Ted ****** his pants when he realizes he has to make an announcement? :shrug:

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand what Ted would have against Brett either. Maybe Ted is jealous that Brett is okay talking in front of people and Ted ****** his pants when he realizes he has to make an announcement? :shrug:

No, I think it's because Brett thinks he should build a team around him, while TT wants to do it his own way.

IMO.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

No, I think it's because Brett thinks he should build a team around him, while TT wants to do it his own way.

IMO.

That is a good point. Like you said, maybe Brett thinks "hey i only have a few years, crack the bank some and get some talent so we can win now and i can go out on top like Elway" where as again like you said Ted's philosophy is to build through the draft and take forty years by which time Favre will have been retired for a year.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

IMO.

A logical thought is that players shouldn't have a say in such decisions in the first place. That is TT's job along with his staff, not the job of the QB.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
A logical thought is that players shouldn't have a say in such decisions in the first place. That is TT's job along with his staff, not the job of the QB.

Agreed in principle, however I think back to the days of Reggie and some of the additions he helped bring to this team.. which were vital to the success and Super Bowl championship.

Sean Jones and Keith Jackson were courted by Reggie if memory serves correct.

Not arguing that the players run the team, but sometimes I think an assist might help.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams are always trying to upgrade their talent. What ********. Just trying to stir the pot some more

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:

Agreed in principle, however I think back to the days of Reggie and some of the additions he helped bring to this team.. which were vital to the success and Super Bowl championship.

Sean Jones and Keith Jackson were courted by Reggie if memory serves correct.

Not arguing that the players run the team, but sometimes I think an assist might help.

Correct...at the right time. We had a solid core of players at that time and additions were necessary to put us over the top. Right now, additions of FA would not put us over the top.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So DavidPHX is Brett's pilot and he posts critical opinions from Brett on the internet? What the hell kind of a friend is that???

I like the way PFT makes it clear that the Packer organization messed up the Moss deal. Like it was all in our hands. Every deal done can fall through for many reasons. This one did. Furthermore, Moss is not a Packer so it doesn't matter.

As for players helping to pursue other players. Yes it happened all the time. Reggie called Deion too, but that never worked out.

Keyshawn is not the answer and for the Packer fans who are afraid of Aaron Rodgers, so one is going to have to replace Favre sometime. So whether that's popular or not, that occurance is getting closer every year.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
Zero2Cool said:

IMO.

I do not think Brett should have gotten involved in this or at least not in the way he got involved.

He has Ted's number. He should have picked up the phone and called him direct. I think he is being reminded at this point that there is two sides to every story and maybe he didn't have the whole story like he thought he did when he spoke out.

In following the thread I believe that this shows only that Brett did not like how Ted handled this deal based on what he knew and believed at the time. He has basically backed Ted in other cases when describing the team and the talent.

Reaction score
Wasn't Ted the first one Brett called to tell he was coming back?

First one as in he called Ted before McCarthy and Mooch.

I'm not sure why he'd be talking with someone he hates. IF you hate someone, you generally try to stay away from them and not call them...

And wasn't PFT reporting JUST YESTERDAY that Moss not going to the Packers WASN'T Ted's fault?

They should pick a point of view... and stick to it.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Florio is a Vikings fan over at PFT. It doesn't matter if he's consistent, as long as he stirs up as much crap as possible for the Packers. He'll deny he's being biased, but it's pretty obvious, subconscious or not. I've gotten into it over email with him after he wrongly stated Favre was definitely retiring last year.

Oh, and Timmons, nice post.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In all honesty guys... PFT is a TURD WEBSITE. They're like the National Enquirer of football news. Word.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
PFT gets feed via the agents... Florio is a West Virginia based lawyer... so he gets the rumblings of a story via agents and guesses on the outcomes... if you read the general theme, they are generally correct about the nature of the story but wiff on the details or content of it. IMO the agents feed him if you read the storylines.

For what ever reason... Favre and recently Vick have been longstanding targets. Someplace in college they probably kicked WV *** at something and he still holds the grudge.

Plus anyone in the mainstream media gets blasted for the most part... unless they are putting him on their programs :)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Storys like this make me laugh. What worker hasn't been ticked off by their boss at some time or another? Thats "news?"
And being as Favre is a future HOF'er, he's a target. They don't attack so-so players, as no one cares what happens to them. So they take what Brett says, and make up the rest to fill a page.
Favre gets frustrated about the Moss deal going bad, spouts off. So now he HATES TT, and TT HATES him.
They take it to the extreme to make a good story.

packers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im sure many of you guys have attended Training Camp Practices but I have attended many in the past couple years, and who have i personally witnessed favre standing next to, laughing with, talking to? none other than our GM ted thompson. I think if they didnt like eachother they would not sit on the practice field while favres not taking reps and talk with just eachother.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im sure many of you guys have attended Training Camp Practices but I have attended many in the past couple years, and who have i personally witnessed favre standing next to, laughing with, talking to? none other than our GM ted thompson. I think if they didnt like eachother they would not sit on the practice field while favres not taking reps and talk with just eachother.
HEY!!!! You are gonna mess up this thread by putting those darn FACTS in!!! :rotflmao:

cheesyscot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing is that TT wants his QB to be the guy to lead the Pack to a SB. TT can't get out of WOLFS shadow until ALL of Rons players are gone. I think it's that SIMPLE

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, because the goals of a GM are far more complicated than making moves to field a winning team. Thompson's gigantic ego gets in the way of appreciating the HOF quarterback that he has on his team. In his mind everybody is laughing at him because he's borrowing Wolf's QB.

Where does this **** come from? Vikings fans, I swear to God.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hold on a sec Mass are you calling me a viking fan?

You have to be careful when stating your opinions around here if they can in any way be construed as being negative to Ted Thompson. His fan club tends to gang up and lash out. Just to be on the safe side, you may want to check the streets for people with white hair before you leave the house in the next few days. :wink:

Latest posts