Favre streak continues

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SEATTLE - Brett Favre's private jet Very Happy was revving, ready to take the quarterback and icon back home to another offseason in Mississippi. The Seahawks' team jet was nearby at the airport in Green Bay, readying to fly back to Seattle.
Favre boarded the Seahawks' plane.

No, the 37-year-old quarterback's mind wasn't scrambled last New Year's Day by having just finished the 2005 season with a career-high 29 interceptions. And the furor throughout Wisconsin and beyond that he may have played his final game — a meaningless home win over the Seahawks, who had already clinched the NFC's top playoff seed — didn't have him confused, either.
Favre strolled onto the Seahawks' jet with one of his two daughters, and a purpose. He strolled past stunned, gawking flight attendants. He found his mentor and former Packers coach, Seahawks head man Mike Holmgren, reading up front, sat down next to him and told Holmgren that he was indeed retiring. Shocked [Well, thanks to David, we heard this happened just hours after the trip...thanks again, David. And luckily for all of us, he changed his mind! Wink Laughing ]
"What are you doing here?" Holmgren asked the man he helped turn into a three-time league MVP.

Monday night, Holmgren may be asking Favre the same thing.

Of course, Favre didn't retire last offseason. He doesn't even know if this, his 16th NFL season, will be his last.

Favre won't discuss the topic. Essentially, neither will Packers first-year coach Mike McCarthy.

McCarthy spat out a well-used answer before the question about Favre's future beyond this season was finished.

"We'll talk about that after the season," McCarthy said, flatly.

Holmgren said he spoke with Favre a few times last year about retirement, but hasn't talked to the quarterback about it this year. When asked if he thought Monday night's game would be the last time he'd see Favre play in person, Holmgren said, "Well, I thought that last year. I really believed that ... he believed that, too." Shocked

Favre will start for the Packers (4-6) against the NFC West-leading Seahawks (6-4) Monday night for the 232nd consecutive time in the regular season. What about leaving last week's loss to New England with a banged elbow and numb fingers on his passing hand? Just another ping off Favre's remarkable armor of longevity.Besides, he wouldn't want to disappoint the biggest influence on his astounding career.

"I have a tremendous amount of respect for him," said Favre, who has rebounded with 13 touchdowns and just seven interceptions this season. "Without him, I wouldn't be where I am today."

Holmgren coached Favre and the Packers from 1992-98. With Holmgren orchestrating nearly everything Favre was supposed to do — and seething each time the freewheeling passer did whatever he wanted to instead — Favre was league MVP three consecutive times and the Packers won their first Super Bowl since 1968.

"I always called him a stallion, you know, that needed to be harnessed a little bit," Holmgren said while preparing for his fifth game opposing Favre; he is 1-3 in those games.

"He has a side to him that is a little silly at times."

Holmgren chuckles at the memories of Favre's recklessness.

"He'd do stuff, you'd go, 'Oh, gee!' Just unbelievable stuff," Holmgren said. "But you knew you had something special."

After Favre's third consecutive 9-7 season as his starter in 1994, Holmgren corralled that silly stallion for a talk on how to excel instead of merely achieving.

"There was a time that a few doubts crept in whether he could actually discipline himself enough to actually reach his potential," Holmgren said. "We had a talk about that after the third season, one of many talks. But I just said, 'We've got to get these interceptions down to take the next step.'

"He goes, 'Listen, that's how I play the game. I'm just wild and woolly. ... We made the playoffs.'

"Yeah, we did," Holmgren told Favre. "But that gets us to 9-7."

Favre and Holmgren never finished worse than 11-5 together after that. Favre won the next three MVP awards and remains the only NFL player to win three. The Packers reached two of the next three Super Bowls, winning the one following the 1996 season.

Following a 1998 Packers playoff loss at San Francisco, Holmgren left for $32 million over eight years to become Seattle's general manager and coach.

Monday brings another reunion of the man who made Favre's career and the man who largely made Holmgren's.

"I think the world of him obviously. That's clear," Holmgren said. "I'm very proud of what he has accomplished, on and off the field. He's got a great family. He's got a great wife. Things are going well for him."

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
SEATTLE - Brett Favre's private jet Very Happy was revving, ready to take the quarterback and icon back home to another offseason in Mississippi.

The Seahawks' team jet was nearby at the airport in Green Bay, readying to fly back to Seattle.

Favre boarded the Seahawks' plane.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

abztractmynd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thats a cute story about Favre and everything...but i think we heard enough about him.

Hooray father time!

OP
OP
H

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thats a cute story about Favre and everything...but i think we heard enough about him.

Hooray father time!

Maybe you have heard enough about him, but I surely havent. He is one of the all time greats and continues to prove that. The media still says he is still the in the top 5 QB's that says alot about someone who has been playing as long as Favre has and what hes all been through...he deserves lots of credit and then some...

Members online

Latest posts