Favre Speaks: Surprised Rodgers Wasn’t Doing This Sooner

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Then maybe it's best if he doesn't say anything about the Packers at all. He just digs himself a deeper hole. You have a valid point, pretty much anything that comes out of his mouth raises the hair on the backs of our necks and makes our tails wag. So, I think most of us would be just as happy if he just minded his own. It's not like he doesn't already have enough problems to tend to.
Problem is, people keep talking to him. It's like asking a politician not to do interviews. The fact that he has been quiet for months is good. The one thing I know is if Brett says something, to most Packer fans he has some sort of agenda, motive or desire to smack people down. I just don't think he's that smart.

And personally, I don't see anything wrong with what he said. Like I said, you all read what you want to into what he says.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem is, people keep talking to him. It's like asking a politician not to do interviews. The fact that he has been quiet for months is good. The one thing I know is if Brett says something, to most Packer fans he has some sort of agenda, motive or desire to smack people down. I just don't think he's that smart.

And personally, I don't see anything wrong with what he said. Like I said, you all read what you want to into what he says.

Of course they are going to react that way, it's a byproduct of human nature. People were (and still are) really, really mad about what he did and how he did it. I think he should lay low, if someone comes trying to talk or interview him, just don't respond. Go off the radar for a bit. I'm not just saying this because of his problems with the Packers but add the Jets and Vikings in their too.

But as you said, he's probably not smart enough to do that. Or he simply craves the spotlight and doesn't know what to do with himself now he is not a QB. He has to know on some level that comments like that will fire up Packers nation.

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
You see, that's the problem. "He should have stayed retired". That's the attitude of Packer fans.

Hi, Raptorman. This may have been said already, but my feeling is that when most Packer fans express such sentiments, they're looking at it almost entirely in hindsight. What they're saying is if he had retired a Packer, he would have had an incredible legacy. His family might not have had to suffer such public embarrassment, his reputation as a player would be almost mythical. He could have done almost anything he wanted in the next phase of his career, and he would have been worshiped in Green Bay and throughout the league.

When he cried at the podium, he had the goodwill of fans everywhere.

But instead, now we have in our minds images of him growing old, lying in the fetal position on the turf, writhing in pain in that awful Viking helmet that made his head look twice its normal size, pathetically texting lewd messages to women half his age in The Big City™, and demonstrating an inability to give the next generation its due...and I think when people say "he should have stayed retired" - at least when I do - we're saying we wished for a better ending not just for ourselves. We would have wished it for him, too.

At least I do.

Having said that, I sure wish he'd offer some unambiguous grace toward Rodgers. The fact that he just can't is one more ugly image he may never be able to shake.

L

Lunchboxer

Rodgers probably would of won it sooner if the Defence did not croak in the 2009 Wild Card game in Arizona.

I believe if we won that game I think we could of beaten the Saints and the Vikings.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

He can do interviews but he has a way about him to stir the pot..and yes he is that smart

Eric87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly think fans are driving this wedge moreso than Favre or anyone else at this point. Favre and Rodgers shouldn't be best of buddies. Why would they be? One way or another, Rodgers was going to replace Favre. That's a tough position for both guys. Obviously things went down in the worst possible way, and yes, I put most of the blame on Favre. Yes, Favre signed with the Vikings a year later. Yes, blah blah blah. It all happened. And?

Curly Lambeau tried to use a backdoor to gain financial control of the team so he could move it to California. He has a 14 foot statue in front of the 70,000 seat stadium named after him.

Rodgers did inherit a great situation. I'm sure he would say so himself. The Packers have become the best run organization in football from top to bottom. Of course the transition from 2007 to 2008 was not remotely a great situation, and I'm sure Favre would admit that. What did you want Favre to do at that point, write to the most vocal protesters, like those running the "fire Ted" websites and tell them to back off? He did that.

Rodgers himself has very nearly said he thinks he should have won a Super bowl sooner. When asked whether the 2009 playoff loss to the Cardinals toughened him up or prepared him (or something like that), Rodgers said no, he thinks they had a great team that year and wasted an opportunity! Rodgers' assessment is tougher than Favre's.

The problem is the fans only have room on the pedestal for one guy. Unless Favre cries at the podium, slurps his successor and then takes his place as a prop in black and white photographs next to Don Hutson and Bart Starr, then he must come down off the pedestal, and he must come down hard.

And I have evidence that it's all about the pedestal. In this very thread, people are saying "Aaron will handle it perfectly." "He has always handled this stuff perfectly." What? Do people forget photogate from the Super bowl week? Rodgers didn't create the problem, but then as soon as it's being wrapped up, he calls out his injured teammates for not rehabbing in Green Bay. He says "well when I was on IR, I stayed in Green Bay with the team." Good for you, Aaron. On the other hand, when Brett was QB, people fondly remember how he abused pain killers. It's such a great memory that he irresponsibly became addicted to narcotics because "he handled it well." It was a really, really good press conference. It's because of the pedestal.

I'm not trying to excuse anything. Retiring when he knew he didn't want to, asking for his release from the Packers, getting his release from the Jets to sign with the Vikings. The text messages. It's all so absurd it's hard to believe it even happened. AND??? You're going to dredge up all of that because Favre gave an honest answer to some radio shmoe? I won't excuse any of it, but I'll sure as heck diminish all of it.

It's just football and these are just the guys who play it. Unless they're like Reggie and they say specifically "I don't want to be remembered as just a football player," let's do everyone a favor and specifically remember them just as football players. As long as they're only football players and nothing more, there ought to be space in your heart for Favre and Rodgers. I hope #4 and #12 are on the walls of Lambeau next to each other for as long as football is played, and all the fans who don't have room for both can go root for a team which has had better QBs.

</topic_forever>

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OMG, after reading this thread my head hurts...I suggest we close it...I heard the F word enough times to make me puke

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
I get sick and tired on how people always say that ARod is only good because of the talent he has around him... It blows my mind because everyone he has on offense is neither a standout First Round Draft Pick (Bulaga, Sherod) or a Big Name Free Agent... All these guys became better by working with eachother and fine tuning this well oiled machine... I mean geez, our entire Receiver corps are all late 2nd round and beyond picks... They have just worked hard to become as good as they are and to be honest I think ARod has had alot to do with their development over the years...

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Favre is a huge part of Packer history. Time will heal all wounds and hopefully objectivity can be restored and we can all admit the positive things Favre did for the team and for our heritage and tradition. That being said, I think the media is as much or more to blame than is Favre. It is the media that gives him the platform to interject himself into the public spotlight.
The separation of Favre and the Packers has often been likened to a divorce; and I think rightly so, because it is far more emotion than it is logic. The media keeps adding fuel to the fire because it brings viewers, readers, clicks whatever. It seems like the media wants Packer fans to hate Favre. and wants Favre to continue to give the fans reason to hate him, because that generates interest, thus stories, thus coverage, thus revenue.
Raptorman, in answer to your request I would simply say, Favre could have said something as simple as "I think Aaron's performance speaks for itself and I wish him and the Packers nothing but the best."
If that doesn't work for you (because this is a debate you will never lose because you will always have some "explanation" that is as without merit as the animosity of the fans because the truth is none of us can or will ever truly know and we can play the "Well if he said, _____, you all would just say _____" game all day long without either side ever being able to PROVE the truth of their comments) I would say he could have simply followed the advice my parents gave me growing up:
"Son, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Reaction score
could already imagine Aaron Rodger's Superbowl 46 post game interview.

"if only I could have won this 2nd championship sooner.... could you imagine if I went 16 years with only one ring?"

or some kind of chip on his shoulder motivational thing.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Face it..What ever Brett says about the Packers or Rodgers it will be nit picked to the bone..Even though he is honest sometimes he shouldn't be "so" honest when asked certain questions..

Brett knows his words will be turned inside and out and be examined..

Summer after the Jets??? He was interviewed by Ed Werner?? And made snide comments like when they win a SB, or when he wins a MVP stuff like that...

IMO and with no ill will towards Brett or anyone, I firmly believe Brett says stuff like this to stick another nail in...We all know he had revenge on his mind...

I still will cheer him when his # is retired...Then it will be over

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly think fans are driving this wedge moreso than Favre or anyone else at this point. Favre and Rodgers shouldn't be best of buddies. Why would they be? One way or another, Rodgers was going to replace Favre. That's a tough position for both guys. Obviously things went down in the worst possible way, and yes, I put most of the blame on Favre. Yes, Favre signed with the Vikings a year later. Yes, blah blah blah. It all happened. And?

Curly Lambeau tried to use a backdoor to gain financial control of the team so he could move it to California. He has a 14 foot statue in front of the 70,000 seat stadium named after him.

Rodgers did inherit a great situation. I'm sure he would say so himself. The Packers have become the best run organization in football from top to bottom. Of course the transition from 2007 to 2008 was not remotely a great situation, and I'm sure Favre would admit that. What did you want Favre to do at that point, write to the most vocal protesters, like those running the "fire Ted" websites and tell them to back off? He did that.

Rodgers himself has very nearly said he thinks he should have won a Super bowl sooner. When asked whether the 2009 playoff loss to the Cardinals toughened him up or prepared him (or something like that), Rodgers said no, he thinks they had a great team that year and wasted an opportunity! Rodgers' assessment is tougher than Favre's.

The problem is the fans only have room on the pedestal for one guy. Unless Favre cries at the podium, slurps his successor and then takes his place as a prop in black and white photographs next to Don Hutson and Bart Starr, then he must come down off the pedestal, and he must come down hard.

And I have evidence that it's all about the pedestal. In this very thread, people are saying "Aaron will handle it perfectly." "He has always handled this stuff perfectly." What? Do people forget photogate from the Super bowl week? Rodgers didn't create the problem, but then as soon as it's being wrapped up, he calls out his injured teammates for not rehabbing in Green Bay. He says "well when I was on IR, I stayed in Green Bay with the team." Good for you, Aaron. On the other hand, when Brett was QB, people fondly remember how he abused pain killers. It's such a great memory that he irresponsibly became addicted to narcotics because "he handled it well." It was a really, really good press conference. It's because of the pedestal.

I'm not trying to excuse anything. Retiring when he knew he didn't want to, asking for his release from the Packers, getting his release from the Jets to sign with the Vikings. The text messages. It's all so absurd it's hard to believe it even happened. AND??? You're going to dredge up all of that because Favre gave an honest answer to some radio shmoe? I won't excuse any of it, but I'll sure as heck diminish all of it.

It's just football and these are just the guys who play it. Unless they're like Reggie and they say specifically "I don't want to be remembered as just a football player," let's do everyone a favor and specifically remember them just as football players. As long as they're only football players and nothing more, there ought to be space in your heart for Favre and Rodgers. I hope #4 and #12 are on the walls of Lambeau next to each other for as long as football is played, and all the fans who don't have room for both can go root for a team which has had better QBs.

</topic_forever>

Well said.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
why are you playing the devils advocate? If your looking for praises for him, your on the wrong board!

Vikings fans like to think they "took" our QB. They don't want to admit they inherited a mess of a person. He was playing for revenge pure and simple. He used the Jets to help his buddy Chilly get around the "NFC North opponent" tag. Vikings fans I know point to one good season and say what a savior he was. But where's the ring?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Vikings fans like to think they "took" our QB. They don't want to admit they inherited a mess of a person. He was playing for revenge pure and simple. He used the Jets to help his buddy Chilly get around the "NFC North opponent" tag. Vikings fans I know point to one good season and say what a savior he was. But where's the ring?
Most Viking fans didn't want Brett. I didn't. I thought it was a mistake, like McNabb, a mistake.

Eric87, to add to your Lambeau story, the Super Bowl trophy is named after a man who didn't feel his team should have to play another game at the end of the year because they had already won the 1966 NFL Championship..... of course he was referring to the first AFL-NFL Championship. (The future Super Bowl)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Most Viking fans didn't want Brett. I didn't. I thought it was a mistake, like McNabb, a mistake.

Eric87, to add to your Lambeau story, the Super Bowl trophy is named after a man who didn't feel his team should have to play another game at the end of the year because they had already won the 1966 NFL Championship..... of course he was referring to the first AFL-NFL Championship. (The future Super Bowl)

With any luck, they'll end up with Luck.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If he says "I think Rodgers is a very good QB and I'm not surprised at all he won the SB" nobody would say a thing. I, for one, would be congratulating Favre.

But Favre just HAD to quantify it, something compells him to put asterisks and not just say it clearly.

Let's not pretend that anything he says people will attack. He could very well choose his words. In fact, he did.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
If he says "I think Rodgers is a very good QB and I'm not surprised at all he won the SB" nobody would say a thing. I, for one, would be congratulating Favre.

But Favre just HAD to quantify it, something compells him to put asterisks and not just say it clearly.

Let's not pretend that anything he says people will attack. He could very well choose his words. In fact, he did.

Even NFL.com interpreted it as saying; "What took him so long?"

I love this line from an article in today's Milwaukee Journal Sentinel; "Now if you consider that genuine praise of your successor and his abilities, then you think Lady Gaga needs to make more flamboyant clothing choices for her concerts."

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers probably would of won it sooner if the Defence did not croak in the 2009 Wild Card game in Arizona.

I believe if we won that game I think we could of beaten the Saints and the Vikings.
Or if the refs had seen that face mask pull on Rodgers.

Members online

Latest posts