Favre should retire--he doesn't have it anymore

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PPierce said:
Favre hasn't thrown a TD in four games. I guess I'm the only one on the board who will say it, but I've heard Wisconsinites from call in shows, say what I say: He doesn't have it anymore.

Actually I just said it but some of the people here think that I am just stirring up s**t because I am a Bears fan. That's actually why they should here me out. I have no emotional attachment to Brett Favre and can see him in his currant state and am not blinded by days gone by. They keep saying that Favre has not lost a thing and that is just denial. Blaming injuries is not the answer because their are a lot of QBs out there who have crap receivers to throw to and they don't lead the NFL in picks and they don't go 4 games in a row with out a TD pass. If it's getting ugly now why do so many believe that he will find some magic fountain of youth next season?
They are hoping for a happy fuzzy ending where Favre throws 6 TDs in the Super Bowl and then rides off into the sunset on his lawn mower.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
phil...I'm glad you're on here because of what you just said...you offer objective opinions.

To add to what PPierece said...if played this year and had the same stats as Brett, what would we be saying? Would we give him a free pass because of the wrs, coaching, weather, etc? I'm sure there'd be more patience since he's a rookie, but I'm confident that there'd be a lot more "bench AR" threads than there are "bench Brett" threads. I understand that you have to trust that Brett still has it, but at the same time, look objectively at his stats and performance before you blame everyone else under the sun for what's transpired this year.

To add to what Phil said...the interceptions are horrendous. 3-13 teams w/ crappy receivers, o-lines, coaches or whatever come around every year, but qbs throwing 28+ picks is fairly uncommon. Great point about the other qbs not helping the packers phil...during this stretch of 4 games...Brett still has it, but 0-10 td-int?!?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
I disagree. You guys keep saying that the Packers were in just about every game this season so how can another QB like Manning, Brady or Palmer not have won at least a couple of those games for them. Favre leads the league in INTs and that does have a bearing on the outcome of the games. You can't throw 4 picks and say that no other QB could have done more because that's not true. The last 4 games he has done what? 10 picks and zero TDs? That's not even close to being good enough. Hell, that's not even close to being Joey Harrington! :roll:

Phil, I think you're wrong. Brett played the kind of "game-managing" style that a lot of people have been clamoring for vs. the Lions. He took check-downs, threw the ball away and played it safe. The result? A 16 point offensive explosion with no TD passes. If not for a huge day from an undrafted rookie RB and a fluke call it would have been a loss.

Brett is the only guy keeping us in games. Brett led a 15 play 84 yard drive vs. the #1 Bears defense this Christmas Day. He also is the only QB in the NFL to throw for more than 200 yards vs. the Bears this season, and he did it twice so I think we can all agree he does still have some skills. The problem really is that, without any playmakers on offense, he's getting no help, the result of which is that when he makes one of those inevitable bonehead throws, the result, more often than not, is a turnover or a turnover and a TD.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Musscy..

I'm beginning to think that you are either a traitor...or a ******..or both...I don't think that you're a real Packer fan..to kiss Phil's *** like that who is a flaming troll..and a ***** to boot!

It will be hysterical to see his Bears go down in flames in the playoffs this year...

and anybody who would say what you just said either doesn't know **** about football..or is not a Packer fan and comes here simply to flame..imo..

PS..Phil..

You are a friggin' liar because you have plenty of "emotional attachment" to Brett Favre...

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack66...phil can be somewhat curt and honest at times, but he offers a different perspective than what we can often see since our perceptions are often clouded by an emotional attachment of some sort. I agree w/ what he says, and just because it conflicts with your opinion of Brett Favre does not make me a traitor, ingrate, murderer, drug dealer, or whatever else you want to label me as.

The bears are going nowhere in the playoffs, I agree.

and what the heck am I saying that's so wrong? I obviously know nothing about football because I had thought that throwing more picks than anyone else in the league is not a good thing...but apparently I'm wrong.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going back to the title of this thread "Favre should Retire--he doesn't have it anymore" I will respond this time by just saying #$%@^%$ as legitimate posts from more knowledgable posters then I from everyone from TOpackerfan to Buckeyepack fan etc do not seem to be getting the message across to the naysayers.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Musscy..

I'm beginning to think that you are either a traitor...or a ******..or both...I don't think that you're a real Packer fan..to kiss Phil's *** like that who is a flaming troll..and a (replaced word) kitty to boot!

It will be hysterical to see his Bears go down in flames in the playoffs this year...

and anybody who would say what you just said either doesn't know **** about football..or is not a Packer fan and comes here simply to flame..imo..

PS..Phil..

You are a friggin' liar because you have plenty of "emotional attachment" to Brett Favre...

You have a lot of growing up to do man. If you are a day over 16 then you are a truly sad figure. What would you do if you did not have this little anonymous site to shout about how much you hate this person or you want that person shot over the outcome of a football game?
You rant and ***** about how anyone who disagrees with you is a liar, a pu**y, or a traitor and how they don't know **** because they don't see things your way.
You are a whiny creep at best.
:crazy:

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Truth hurts..

doesn't it Phil...

Why don't you go join an encounter group for dispossessed Bear's fans..and leave our site...? :stop:

Your pathetic attempts at trying to bait and goad PAcker fans into your little game is pathetic...

Do you get off on seeing people react to your little territorial pissings?

Now that's real mature...

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Phil's all right 66...yeah, he's a Bears fan but we can't hold that against him too much. We can hate his team until the end of time, but not hold it against him. He brings a different perspective to the forum which is kind of refreshing once in a while.

BTW, that isn't an attempt to kiss Phil's ***...I still think the Bears Suck!

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Truth hurts..

doesn't it Phil...

Why don't you go join an encounter group for dispossessed Bear's fans..and leave our site...? :stop:

Your pathetic attempts at trying to bait and goad PAcker fans into your little game is pathetic...

Do you get off on seeing people react to your little territorial pissings?

Now that's real mature...

I agree with you Pack66...

Phil, to his credit has taken the opportunistic approach to jump on the Packers on a down year.

To the chagrin of the posters on this forum who do agree with him is that Phil is nothing more than a Bear troll who found some easy victims he can pry on.

I agree with you(for a change) Favre is no where NEAR done.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
someone needs a spankin :whippin: and his name is phil!

jk...i just wanted to use that smiley

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
chill out you 2...this isn't the place for that argument.

you should crap on each other in pm land, thats what i would do :wink:

Once again p@ck66 throws out insult after insult and nothing is said until someone calls him out on it. THEN it's smack and the warnings come out.
Come on man. How many times does he have to **** on everyone else before he gets warned about it?

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
someone needs a spankin :whippin: and his name is phil!

jk...i just wanted to use that smiley

That smiley should be used only for posts about the Vikings love boat.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
arrowgargantuan said:
chill out you 2...this isn't the place for that argument.

you should crap on each other in pm land, thats what i would do :wink:

Once again p@ck66 throws out insult after insult and nothing is said until someone calls him out on it. THEN it's smack and the warnings come out.
Come on man. How many times does he have to **** on everyone else before he gets warned about it?

Philly Phil...it was more of a request than a warning. honestly i don't have the time to be on here as much as i used to, so if i see something brewing i try to corral it before it escalates...simple as that my friend. if a member here is becoming a problem for anybody let Ryan or myself know and we'll drop the hammer if it needs to be dropped. personally, i take p@ck with a grain of salt as i'm sure most others do.

i'd like to think we can govern ourselves for the most part...a bit lofty for a message board but i think it creates a better atmosphere for everybody in the long run...and we're always just a pm away if needed.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the Best moderated forums I have ever been on in my humble opinion and thats just a fact. As for the Sunday game comming up, if I was fortunate enough to be down there in Green Bay I would be Holding this sign for the world to see:

[align=center]GO Pack GO and Stay BRETT Stay[/align]

Someone please feel free to do it for me :wink:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, lots of posts on this thread and musccy is still the only one who even halfway agrees with PPierce. I'm here to say that I COMPLETELY agree with PPierce, and I said pretty much the same thing on this board halfway through the season. (And also took a pummeling for it, of course.)

I do think that Brett Favre is still just fine physically. He is elusive, he still has that quick release, and he still throws the ball with good velocity and accuracy most of the time. The problem is that he does not have the commitment to the game that he used to have, and this is something I never questioned up till this season, with the exception of that horrendous illegal forward pass he made against the Vikings in last year's playoff loss. That was a sign of things to come.

This year I have seen a few more plays of that type. The one in Cincinnati was the worst. It was the last play of the game, Favre was five yards beyond the line of scrimmage, and he chose to throw the ball away rather than keeping the play alive and risking a hit. End of game. Another bad one was in Chicago, on a fourth-down play. If he had run the ball he may not have made the first down, but at least he would've had a chance. (How many times in the past have we seen Brett fake a throw to juke a defender, then pick up the first down?) Instead, he threw the ball to nobody rather than take a hit. On FOURTH DOWN. I am not satisfied having a QB who gives up on plays in crucial situations like this, even if his name happens to be Brett Favre and he happens to be one of my favorite players ever.

TOPackerFan mentions the game against the Lions, where Favre played more conservatively and the Packers won the game but only scored 16 points. What's wrong with that? It was a cold weather game against an opponent with a bad offense. Favre knew that slow and steady would win the day. He played exactly the kind of game he needed to play. The fact that TO criticized this peformance--a WIN--just goes to show how far many Packer fans will go to make excuses for Favre's reckless play.

"He's a gambler." "It's just Brett being Brett." "With Favre, you have to take the bad with the good." It's bad enough we hear these kinds of excuses from fans and announcers, but the coaching staff is not much better. What we have here is a player who is beyond criticism in the eyes of many fans and maybe even the coaching staff. The result is a player who is making more and more poor decisions as he gets older. I don't know if I've ever seen a player this great tarnish his reputation so badly at the end of his career. Favre needs to leave so this team can move on.

sunshine

Cheesehead
Reaction score
greg c - WOW - you COMPLETELY agree with someone?? that's QUITE a statement!! i don't see too many people giving favre a free pass on here. there's no need to. he's playing the same as he's played every season so unless you wanted him out during the winning seasons, i don't really understand what you have to ***** about now. he has lost NOTHING physically or mentally. what he HAS lost is a strong "supporting cast" due to injuries & trades.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
yeah Greg..

like the Packers really have a great team around him this year..eh?

The problem with you people is that you think that Favre is the problem and that without him the Pack could win..

I have news for you Greg..

The Pack is not going to win for a very, very looong time...

Welcome back to the 1970's....

You can thank TT for this...and SherRossley...

OP
OP
P

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Favre is the problem at all. I know we've been unbelievably hampered by injuries and that our team is basically a bunch of rookies. However, Brett had a terrible year and didn't help the team. I'd like to see us start to rebuild and the QB is a big part of that. No matter how much you or anybody likes Brett (and I think we all love him) his age alone makes him the past, not the future. We need to see what our other QB can do...or not do...and draft another one, if necessary. I don't think we'll ever find another Brett Favre, but this year wasn't the Brett Favre who is a legend. Ultimately, it's totally up to him if he comes back or not, but it will only be for one more year if he does, and it's unlikely to be much better. If he feels tired, wants family time, etc. why pressure him to stay on a team that is going nowhere? The man will be 37 next year--an oldtimer by football standards. Unless the offensive line is greatly improved, he's going to take a lot of hits, and have to force a lot of throws again, and it may not be pretty. It wasn't pretty this year.

PACKATTACK4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And who's going to develop that new QB? The fine and knowledgable staff of Sherman, Rosley, and Bevell? Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Help us

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
tromadz...no doubt those things contribute, but the interceptions and poor decisions have always plagued brett, in the playoffs vs. Dallas in the early 90s, his infamous dome performances for the majority of his career (that was even a big concern going into SB31), his playoff performances v. St Louis, Atl, Mn...etc.

And the lack of talent thing doesn't quite fly with me...again, YES, it contributes, but every year you have crappy teams w/ 3-13 records, but how often do their qbs throw 28 picks?

well if brett had his pro-bowl wr, pro-bowl-rb, probowl te, pro-bowl o-line, he wouldn't have 28 int's . get it.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never said Favre was "the problem," and I don't know anyone who has. If I had to list the team's biggest problems this year, he would be well down on the list. The loss of two top-caliber guards and their replacement by journeymen or young players has been the biggest factor. The decline of Mike Flanagan due to injury has hurt as well. The loss of Javon Walker has been huge, especially considering how poorly Robert Ferguson has played. And then there have been the injuries at halfback as well. After all these is the fact that Brett Favre has made too many poor decisions with the football. I would expect his statistics to be down in a year like this, but 28 interceptions is way too many, even if Fergy is to blame for a few of the early ones. I don't base my opinion too much on stats anyway. I've watched every game this season, as I have for a lot of seasons now, and I'm seeing a QB who is more impatient than he's been since his first couple years in the league and who does not always have the same determination that I've seen throughout his career. He's also been publicly contemplating retirement for four seasons now. He's one of the all-time greats and I respect him a lot, but I think he's grown weary.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpacker...of course it contributes, but San Francisco and Houston SUCK! If you can name San Fran's and Houston's starting wrs, you're in the minority. But guess how many interceptions their TEAMs have thrown this year?

Houston-11
San Fran-20
Brett-28

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
dhpacker...of course it contributes, but San Francisco and Houston SUCK! If you can name San Fran's and Houston's starting wrs, you're in the minority. But guess how many interceptions their TEAMs have thrown this year?

Houston-11
San Fran-20
Brett-28

take away 20 pics, how many more wins would GB have?

Members online

Latest posts