Favre says he can still make deep throws

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i know #4 can still throw the deep ball.

i do not know why GJ was not able to judge the ball was underthrown, and come back and make a play.

instead GJ lets a saftey run 30 yards across the field and jump up and make a play.

GJ looked like a timid version of Fergie, the CB leveled GJ after the int

Moss woulda cought it........Oops i did it again :p 8) :roll:

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the ball was flying like GJ was used to either. He probably expected it to go another 10-15 yards.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The MJS had a good article on Favre's inability to throw the deep ball.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=678149

Maybe Favre hasn't miscalculated his deep passes much during his career. But according to statistics provided by STATS LLC, Favre has never been a very good deep passer.

In passes thrown from 1 to 30 yards in the air (yards after the catch are not included), Favre's numbers meet or exceed the league averages this season and throughout his career.

But in passes that travel beyond 30 yards, Favre has consistently been below average.

This season, Favre has completed 11.1% of his passes from 31-40 yards, which is down from his 19.9% career average. In 2006, NFL quarterbacks completed 25.7% of passes in that range.

Beyond 40 yards, Favre's numbers drop off even more: He hasn't connected on one since 2005 and is 0 for 13 the past two years. The NFL average is 23.7%.

If the past two seasons are eliminated from Favre's 20.9% career average over 40 yards, his average (23.0%) would be much more in line with the league average.

All four passes in the Skins games were horribly underthrown. We probably could have had TD's on all four of those passes. GJ and JJ had the safeties and corners completely smoked.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would also sooner agree that it's more a miscalculation thing then arm strength cause if you see him rock pack and drill a slant I still don't know of too many QB's in the NFL who throw it in there harder

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
naw, the safties easily smoked GJ & JJ, then after outperforming our WR for the ball, the skins defenders ***** slapped GJ.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
naw, the safties easily smoked GJ & JJ, then after outperforming our WR for the ball, the skins defenders ***** slapped GJ.

When I watched the game a second time, I saw no evidence that the receivers screwed up. Those balls were WAY underthrown, and the receivers just didn't have time to adjust. Meanwhile, Sean Taylor was watching Favre the whole time and got a great break on those throws. I just don't get how the receivers can be blamed for interceptions anyway when they torched the defenders and would've had easy touchdowns with even halfway decent throws from the QB.

I think those bad underthrows by Favre were an anomaly, though, and he will do fine next time he gets those kinds of opportunities.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
so let me get this right..

The wr were VERY wide open, by at least 10 yards...

***And keep in mind Brett himself said he didnt thorw those right***

Brett tosses it to them, they are expecting it to come right to them, then they realize its going to be way short..

They are in stride thinking the ball coming right to them, and wham have to put on the brakes, back track, while the dbs are in full stride to the ball..

Its their fault ENTIRLEY, that those passes ended up as an int or batted away

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Brett tosses it to them, they are expecting it to come right to them, then they realize its going to be way short..

They are in stride thinking the ball coming right to them, and wham have to put on the brakes, back track, while the dbs are in full stride to the ball..

The throws were awful. I have the game on my DVR and it's just two bad throws. It's not like the guy is going to complete everything. Just like Driver probably won't catch everything. He'll drop them eventually. Favre should've darted the James Jones throw and he didn't. He got way to much air on it. His pump on the Jennings throw was unnecessary.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not like the guy is going to complete everything.

Romo threw 6 int's a couple weeks back. Everyone still considers him in the top 3 qbs in the league. I think we need to get off Favres back and realize that nobody is perfect.

if he had Brady's, Mannings, or even Romo's weapons and O-line, i think we could be more critical of Favre. But the guy is playing some of the best football he ever has played. A 24, 25 or 26 year old Favre would not lead this team to 5-1 i dont believe. Guy is 38 years old. So if he cant throw it 80 yards on a rope anymore, considering he has never missed a game, played with broken throwing finger, etc the list goes on. if he has lost a little on his long ball, im sure his veteran savvy will get him by just fine.

Who throws a faster 25 yard out than him? Who throws a harder 35 yard pass down the middle than him? Slant passes? Fuggedaboutit. I cant think of anyone.

Honestly, how many times in the game do you need to throw it 70 yards down field anyway? Of course he can do it. Hell, even Pennington did it last week for like 55-60 yards on a completion.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:

Romo threw 6 int's a couple weeks back. Everyone still considers him in the top 3 qbs in the league. I think we need to get off Favres back and realize that nobody is perfect.

if he had Brady's, Mannings, or even Romo's weapons and O-line, i think we could be more critical of Favre. But the guy is playing some of the best football he ever has played. A 24, 25 or 26 year old Favre would not lead this team to 5-1 i dont believe. Guy is 38 years old. So if he cant throw it 80 yards on a rope anymore, considering he has never missed a game, played with broken throwing finger, etc the list goes on. if he has lost a little on his long ball, im sure his veteran savvy will get him by just fine.

Who throws a faster 25 yard out than him? Who throws a harder 35 yard pass down the middle than him? Slant passes? Fuggedaboutit. I cant think of anyone.

Honestly, how many times in the game do you need to throw it 70 yards down field anyway? Of course he can do it. Hell, even Pennington did it last week for like 55-60 yards on a completion.

I'll go one step further. Put Favre in Manning's shoes. He'll be almost neck and neck with Brady. Manning has never been hit. He doesn't know what it's like to have a bad OL. He doesn't know what it's like to have average WRs.

When we won the SB last in '96, our #1 WR went out for the year (Brooks). then our #2 WR broke his arm (Freeman) and missed four games. We picked up Rison near the end and Rison by that time was still a good WR, but nowhere near where he was a few years back when he was one of the better WRs in the NFL.

It's no coincidence that Favre has an NFL record for MVPs. They just don't give those awards out.

When Favre retires, it will be a sad day for Packer fans. A very sad day. A lot of people here can't appreciate what they have apparently.

Our OL is bad. We can't run the ball, not because we're lacking the RBs. I happen to think Wynn is good. It's because our OL can't open up the holes. With that in mind, opposing D's focus 90% on our passing game, and Favre is STILL smoking them. Ok, so he missed all four deep throws last game. That sucks. He had a bad game. Move on. NOBODY EVER who played in the NFL for more than a year had great games every game. These are Tom Brady's stats in '06 against IND - 20 35 201 0 4

Oh no! Tom Brady threw 4 INTs and no TDs! He sucks! He should retire! He's over the hill! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

When I watched the game a second time, I saw no evidence that the receivers screwed up. Those balls were WAY underthrown, and the receivers just didn't have time to adjust. Meanwhile, Sean Taylor was watching Favre the whole time and got a great break on those throws. I just don't get how the receivers can be blamed for interceptions anyway when they torched the defenders and would've had easy touchdowns with even halfway decent throws from the QB.

I think those bad underthrows by Favre were an anomaly, though, and he will do fine next time he gets those kinds of opportunities.

moss would've caught it

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i say a wr that is that wide open, should be able to jdge the ball is underthrown and make a play on the ball b/f the safety does.

so what, the ball is a little underthrown, adjust make a play.

unless you are GJ, then you know the skins are playing cover 2, the S is deep, he is coming over the top, if i make a play on the ball both the CB & the S are going to hit me.

So GJ just keeps running and lets the ball be picked!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
dhpackr said:

moss would've caught it

I doubt it. Moss may be the best jump ball receiver in the NFL, but those were not jump balls, they were underthrows. It's one thing to run a designed play with a jump ball, or even for the QB to throw one up for grabs, but when the receiver is running full-out down the sidelines, wide open, and well within the QB's range, he is not expecting the ball to be thrown ten yards behind him.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
porky88 said:

I'll go one step further. Put Favre in Manning's shoes. He'll be almost neck and neck with Brady. Manning has never been hit. He doesn't know what it's like to have a bad OL. He doesn't know what it's like to have average WRs.

When we won the SB last in '96, our #1 WR went out for the year (Brooks). then our #2 WR broke his arm (Freeman) and missed four games. We picked up Rison near the end and Rison by that time was still a good WR, but nowhere near where he was a few years back when he was one of the better WRs in the NFL.

It's no coincidence that Favre has an NFL record for MVPs. They just don't give those awards out.

When Favre retires, it will be a sad day for Packer fans. A very sad day. A lot of people here can't appreciate what they have apparently.

Our OL is bad. We can't run the ball, not because we're lacking the RBs. I happen to think Wynn is good. It's because our OL can't open up the holes. With that in mind, opposing D's focus 90% on our passing game, and Favre is STILL smoking them. Ok, so he missed all four deep throws last game. That sucks. He had a bad game. Move on. NOBODY EVER who played in the NFL for more than a year had great games every game. These are Tom Brady's stats in '06 against IND - 20 35 201 0 4

Oh no! Tom Brady threw 4 INTs and no TDs! He sucks! He should retire! He's over the hill! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!
GREAT post!
I think alot of people here have been spoiled by having Favre under center for the last 17 years. Those of us that have seen David Whitehurst, Randy Wright, Scott Hunter, Jerry Tagge, and the likes, realize how lucky we have been to be able to watch a talent like Brett Favre for all these years. We may NEVER see anything like him in our lifetimes again. Better hold onto it (him) as long as possible..........it will probably never happen here again. Just look at how many teams have been looking year after year after year for a decent QB? Just look ay our own division! The Vikings, Bears and Lions are STILL looking for the right guy. We are blessed.....too bad not everyone realizes it now.
They will some day.......of course then it will be too late.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Moss has great vision and adjusts better to the ball then any reciever that I have seen.. not saying he would of caught those, but Moss's vision and adjustments to a ball in the air are under-rated in his game and probably the best ever.

A large part of me is still glad he isn't here, we have a bunch of talented WR's this squad already. Brett would be gunning for the homerun every couple plays.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thread has traveled to crazytown.

So, Favre makes four terrible throws-two of which directly result in a turnover, two that hit Sean Taylor in the hands- and its Jennings' or Jones' fault? WTFFFF?!?!?!?!??!

Of all the blind, fact-denying stuff I've read on this forum, that almost takes the cake!

Which utterly incompetent, not-Randy-Moss, receiver's fault was the Urlacher INT that pretty much swung the momentum to the Bears and ultimately cost us the win?

No one in this thread, from what I've read, has called for Favre's retirement. And yet all those posters that say he made bad throws and is aging (which is obvious) is suddenly calling for his retirement?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

So, Favre makes four terrible throws-two of which directly result in a turnover, two that hit Sean Taylor in the hands- and its Jennings' or Jones' fault? WTFFFF?!?!?!?!??!

Of all the blind, fact-denying stuff I've read on this forum, that almost takes the cake!

Which utterly incompetent, not-Randy-Moss, receiver's fault was the Urlacher INT that pretty much swung the momentum to the Bears and ultimately cost us the win?

No one in this thread, from what I've read, has called for Favre's retirement. And yet all those posters that say he made bad throws and is aging (which is obvious) is suddenly calling for his retirement?

I didnt call for him to hang it up...

I did say that I think that MAYBE the weather ( slick ball) made it harder for him to make those throws..

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

I didnt call for him to hang it up...

I did say that I think that MAYBE the weather ( slick ball) made it harder for him to make those throws..

That's what I meant. Nobody in this thread called for a retirement, but someone above made it sound like blaming Brett for the bad throws was the same as calling for his retirement....

skibum55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
de_real_deal said:
porky88 said:

GREAT post!
I think alot of people here have been spoiled by having Favre under center for the last 17 years. Those of us that have seen David Whitehurst, Randy Wright, Scott Hunter, Jerry Tagge, and the likes, realize how lucky we have been to be able to watch a talent like Brett Favre for all these years. We may NEVER see anything like him in our lifetimes again. Better hold onto it (him) as long as possible..........it will probably never happen here again. Just look at how many teams have been looking year after year after year for a decent QB? Just look ay our own division! The Vikings, Bears and Lions are STILL looking for the right guy. We are blessed.....too bad not everyone realizes it now.
They will some day.......of course then it will be too late.

Don't forget John "I shoulda stayed in San Diego" Hadl. :lol: :lol:

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i say a wr that is that wide open, should be able to jdge the ball is underthrown and make a play on the ball b/f the safety does.

Jennings had the safety beat by 10 yards!!! Why should he have to do a 180 and fight for the ball?!?!? He was WIDE OPEN. He's the one who got himself WIDE OPEN. Brett's the one who made a ****** throw.

unless you are GJ, then you know the skins are playing cover 2, the S is deep, he is coming over the top, if i make a play on the ball both the CB & the S are going to hit me.

It's the QB's job to understand what the defense is doing, and make plays according to that, not the WR's job. The safety cut underneath, not over the top because, again, the ball was underthrown. you know Jennings runs those slants fearlessly, why would he care on a deep fade?

Maybe instead of GJ "just running" and "letting" the ball get picked, the QB could actually skip all that crap and make the appropriate throw? Jennings took care of his responsibilty, he beat the safety deep. Favre missed his responsibilty by not putting it in the hands of his WIDE OPEN WR.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not agree that our "0" line is necessarily bad. It does put a burden on Brett that they are not run blocking well but they do a very good job in pass protection and did a good job on the passes he underthrew.

They were just bad passes. God. Give the guy a break. If a RB fell down twice going around end would everyone start thinking he would fall down everytime he went around end after that?

He simply misjudged how far down the field to throw it. I can see that happening more often when the guy your throwing it to is WIDE open.

I am going to make a prediction and that is in the first several plays Monday Brett is going to go back there and sling one about 60 yards. It won't be about catching it or anything other than he CAN.

And he will probably throw it on a string about 20 feet off the ground just to prove a point.

At least I hope he does this because thinking he can't is just silly.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not agree that our "0" line is necessarily bad. It does put a burden on Brett that they are not run blocking well but they do a very good job in pass protection and did a good job on the passes he underthrew.

They were just bad passes. God. Give the guy a break. If a RB fell down twice going around end would everyone start thinking he would fall down everytime he went around end after that?

He simply misjudged how far down the field to throw it. I can see that happening more often when the guy your throwing it to is WIDE open.

I am going to make a prediction and that is in the first several plays Monday Brett is going to go back there and sling one about 60 yards. It won't be about catching it or anything other than he CAN.

And he will probably throw it on a string about 20 feet off the ground just to prove a point.

At least I hope he does this because thinking he can't is just silly.

They can not run block and they force us to pass every play. This means they are bad. They have potential but still bad overall. Their defensive guys are guys swarming all over the field since they dont have to cover the run. Im suprised Brett doesnt have more ints. He is playing lights out considering the circumstances.

The incredible pressure/stress put on his brain and arm every week are equal to nobody in the league who is succeding this year. Brady and Manning have everything Favre needs. Good offensive line (pass and run blocking). When is the last time you saw either of them on the ground?
Good running backs who are versatile and can catch with good quality backups in case injury occurs. Excellent receivers and tight ends and receiving fullbacks (Dallas Clark - K. Faulk). These guys are invaluable in keeping drives alive.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

Jennings had the safety beat by 10 yards!!! Why should he have to do a 180 and fight for the ball?!?!? He was WIDE OPEN. He's the one who got himself WIDE OPEN. Brett's the one who made a ****** throw.

It's the QB's job to understand what the defense is doing, and make plays according to that, not the WR's job. The safety cut underneath, not over the top because, again, the ball was underthrown. you know Jennings runs those slants fearlessly, why would he care on a deep fade?

Maybe instead of GJ "just running" and "letting" the ball get picked, the QB could actually skip all that crap and make the appropriate throw? Jennings took care of his responsibilty, he beat the safety deep. Favre missed his responsibilty by not putting it in the hands of his WIDE OPEN WR.

TY pib for explaining it the way I wanted to

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

Cool, so what youre saying is every time Favre makes a bad throw our receivers should punish him by not fighting for the ball. Maybe thats how you play sports Pack in Black but a professional, especially a football player is supposed to fight for it instead of complaining and crying.

THIS IS WHY WE NEED RANDY MOSS. Moss adjusts and fights and comes down with the ball. If our guys dont want to do that, sit their ***** on the bench. I promise you Driver would adjust and fight for the ball regardless.

OP
OP
U

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i just posted this article because i thought it was good. it does not matter if favre has lost the ability to throw the deep ball because he is doing what he needs to to in oder for this team to win and thats all that matters.

Members online

Latest posts